Forums > Model Colloquy > Does photographer need to provide meal for model?

Photographer

money_train

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

during the short/long short,

Does photographer need to provide meal for model?

Jan 29 13 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Should the model buy the photographer lunch/dinner ?

Jan 29 13 10:07 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Define "short" and "long" big_smile

Generally if a shoot is more than 3-4 hours I will offer models a snack or some fruit.

You'll find many will refuse it anyway if they're worried about bloating but it never hurts to offer.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jan 29 13 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

If you have someone at your studio all day, food and drinks should be provided. Or state long before the shoot none will be provided; otherwise, she may not know to pack her own lunch pail.

On hot shoots, water is expected. On long shoots, something to nibble on is nice. I know I'll get hungry on a day long shoot. And most models are not packing the reserves I have, nor pigged out before the shoot began. They'll need something to eat, or their hunger pains will show in the images.

Jan 29 13 10:26 am Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Models should discuss how long a shoot will last and what arrangements are being made for meals. Models should never assume that meals will be paid for/provided. Time to get food may be all that is provided.

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

If the model is running the shoot, deciding how many looks will be shot, when to switch looks, and when to call it quits for the day then sure, absolutely.
But that doesn't happen often...

Jan 29 13 10:39 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

It's definitely a nice thought, but depends on how long the shoot is. If you're talking a 12 hour shoot, then a meal would be a good idea, or make sure to ask the model to bring food/ money for food/ etc. and give a good long break to eat.

If it's a normal 3-6 hour shoot, then having snacks and definitely water is just a good idea. It's not necessarily your responsibility, but it will make your job more pleasant. When people get hungry, it shows.

And, anyone who has ever worked at a restaurant know that people without food are really cranky, even the nicest people otherwise.

Jan 29 13 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Angel Dreams

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Don't be silly.  Models don't eat. https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/big_smile.png

Jan 29 13 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Supermodel Photographer

Oyster Bay, New York, US

Angel Dreams wrote:
Don't be silly.  Models don't eat. https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/big_smile.png

When I arrived at Caron Bernstein's home for our photoshoot there, she asked whether it would be all right if she ate lunch first because she hadn't eaten in two days.

Jan 29 13 10:50 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i try to keep snacks and water on hand. bananas have been popular. sometimes after the shoot we'll buy the model lunch or dinner. or sometimes i'll run out during the break and get some takeout.

but sometimes models don't want to eat during a shoot or maybe they'll just take a tiny bite from my Cliff's Bar.

Jan 29 13 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Jim McSmith

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Not really, a quick sandwich is ok but meals just push costs up and you increasingly have to run a tight ship these days. Besides, meals could be misconstrued as something romantic and not businesslike.

Jan 29 13 11:31 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i thought the same at the beginning but models don't seem to mind someone buying them a meal. maybe if you took them to chez love they might wonder. although lunch has been more common than dinner.

Jim McSmith wrote:
Besides, meals could be misconstrued as something romantic and not businesslike.

Jan 29 13 11:33 am Link

Model

Lorayne York

Topeka, Kansas, US

Jim McSmith wrote:
Not really, a quick sandwich is ok but meals just push costs up and you increasingly have to run a tight ship these days. Besides, meals could be misconstrued as something romantic and not businesslike.

meals are romantic? if the photographer is professional the whole time... why would anyone assume it's romantic? it's like eating with coworkers or your boss.

There is usually food at every shoot i attend. Whether i eat it or not.. but usually i eat it. I'm a foodie. Though i don't think bad of a photographer if they don't feed me, i bring snacks with me. and if it's longer than 4 hours i bring a lunch.

Jan 29 13 11:35 am Link

Photographer

J M

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Define "short" and "long" big_smile

Generally if a shoot is more than 3-4 hours I will offer models a snack or some fruit.

You'll find many will refuse it anyway if they're worried about bloating but it never hurts to offer.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

But then On the rare occasion you find that model you wish you hadnt of offered to fed! Some girls just put it all away at the end of the shoot

Jan 29 13 11:36 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If the shoot is more than a few hours I will feed the model.
If we are shooting outside and it is hot I will water the model.
If we are shooting outside and it is cold I provide blankets during the shoot and buy them Starbucks or whatever after the shoot.
Happy models are the best models and they are usually happy to work with me again. Having a list of happy models is a good thing smile

Jan 29 13 11:37 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Jim McSmith wrote:
Besides, meals could be misconstrued as something romantic and not businesslike.

I tend to agree with this. Nothing says "I want to bang you 'til the cows come home" like a McRib Sandwich.

Jan 29 13 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

money_train wrote:
during the short/long short,

Usually no..    But on a long drawn out  Ad  or product shoot,   I will order in  food for everyone..

Jan 29 13 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

No... BUT... they're welcome to join in with the models and eat pizza at the SM Studios... borat

Jan 29 13 11:40 am Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

I usually provide some sort meal/refreshments for longer shoots, especially ones that fall within meal times. I've also had a few models buy me lunch - which is nice.

Jan 29 13 11:41 am Link

Photographer

S-a-P

New York, New York, US

If you expect the model to be on set all day - food should absolutely be provided for both talent and the crew.

If the model is hired for less than 4 hours, than it's not necessary although providing light snacks is a nice move.

Water should be provided, coffee is a good idea.

If you are not providing any food, than a one hour lunch break must be allowed for talent / crew to get lunch.  It's a good idea to let the talent/crew know of this ahead of time.

There is nothing romantic about providing food & drink for your talent & crew who may not have the opportunity to get food.  You are keeping them happy & efficient by feeding them and it's industry-standard.  Suggesting it's some sort of romantic gesture to justify cheapness and thoughtlessness is ridiculous.

Jan 29 13 11:50 am Link

Digital Artist

ShuttingDown

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:
If the shoot is more than a few hours I will feed the model.
If we are shooting outside and it is hot I will water the model.

LOL, always feed and water your model smile

Jan 29 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I found out that all models love Milano cookies.

Also, never feed you model after midnight.

Jan 29 13 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

James Morgan aka Maddog

Burlison, Tennessee, US

I feed the models at my workshops (everyone brings a covered dish).. And if I arrange a shoot 50 or more miles away, I pick up the tab at a cafe for her meal.  I often have light drinks and a fruit tray available.. I snack on it too.

Jan 29 13 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Water and day old bread....................j/k.....on occasion I have offered lunch at a local eatery after the shoot.

Jan 29 13 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I take them to chuck e cheese after the shoot. smile

Jan 29 13 02:27 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

I usually buy food for myself and the photographer because I know what I'm expected to eat (and what they're expecting to pay for) and how much I am actually going to eat.

I had a chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, garlic bread, and a side of mac and cheese in the middle of a nude shoot once.

I'll just buy everyone's food. Easier that way.

Jan 29 13 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I have a well stocked refrigerator with beverages.  If the shoot is more than 3-4 hours, I do provide a meal. 

That, having been said, there is a difference between what you must do and what you do as a courtesy.

Jan 29 13 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Models are welcome to my favourite studio snack pickled eggs with horse radish.

Jan 29 13 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Foto

Alberschwende, Vorarlberg, Austria

If I'm paying them or if the model is a friend, then yes I'll take them out to lunch; assuming an all day shoot. If it's just an hour or so, then I might have a snack handy, maybe some cookies but that's about it. All depends on the circumstances.

I've not bought food for a paying client. Not saying I wouldn't, just haven't.

Jan 29 13 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Once let a client organize lunch, was a disaster, they took around 2 hours, gave models wine, was a veritable banquet and everyone was lethargic for the rest of the day. Since then it is definitely something I pay attention to, but rarely need to intervene over. Have no fear, if a model is hungry, they will let you know.

Some hire studios are very thoughtful and fill their fridges with very tempting items like bottles and cans of alcohol and that is something else you have to watch, turn your back and the studio bill just shot up a few quid.

Jan 29 13 04:34 pm Link

Model

Deleteddeleted

Englishtown, New Jersey, US

Not  necessarily but if I'm going 4 hours or more, water and a light snack would be appreciated smile

Jan 29 13 05:12 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If I say yes will I get free food?

Seriously speaking though, it's not required, but if you plan on shooting more then four hours, inform the model so at least they may bring their own snack/meal. For me I get bitchy real easy if I go to long without a meal/snack. So I tend to bring some protein bars anyway. Now if you want to provide food for the model, that is definitely a plus.

I had a photographer who'd stock a fridge with sodas and light snacks for shoots. That was always appreciated. Also had another who set out a fruit bar, which was also very appreciated.

Jan 29 13 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

no.  She should get in the kitchen and fix it.

Jan 29 13 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Damon Banner wrote:

...then bring me the remote and a beer after food is cooked.

Jan 29 13 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

dp

Jan 29 13 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

I always have cold water, a fruit tray, cookies, and buy lunch after the shoot if she has time.

Jan 29 13 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

JimBobLc

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

Would you like a sandwich? Yes? Make me one too, please!

Damon Banner wrote:

Jan 29 13 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I ALWAYS feed the models smile

https://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp100/foreverfotos/dscf2111a_zps70fe1362.jpg?t=1359509211

Jan 29 13 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

POMERANTS

For my personal shoots ill always provide water and snacks.  You want to keep everyones energy level high. If its a long shoot on many occasions myself, model and crew (if any) will go grab dinner after (if circumstances permit).  If its a larger commercial shoot, both snacks and lunch should be provided by the photographer.
If the model is a friend then I may actually cook dinner.

Jan 29 13 05:32 pm Link

Model

S. Stark

For a workshop (lighting workshop or similar...8 hours), it's standard for those running the show to provide lunch.

Otherwise, no.  It has happened, and it IS wonderful, but not expected.

Jan 29 13 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

No, but I have taken a model out to lunch after a long shoot.

Jan 29 13 05:39 pm Link