Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > okcupid ...do you use it?

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ms Eryka wrote:
what site if you dont mind?

POF.com (Plenty of Fish)

For the most part it's identical to OK Cupid with many of the same faces and attitudes on both sites.  I don't think it's any better or any worse, just different.

Feb 08 13 11:16 am Link

Photographer

MS Foto

Manchester, New Hampshire, US

My dating persona is "The Bachelor" lol

I've been on-and-off OKC a few times with mixed results. Worked pretty good for me when all I was interested was casual stuff. However not so much when seeking anything serious. It's tough for me because my area is pretty rural, and most the women I'd be into live over an hour away.

It's been a bit different lately since they were aquired by Match.com. They've got some "crazy blind date" thing they're trying to roll out. Online dating is scarey enough, but a blind date with someone from the internet? NTY....

Chris Rifkin wrote:
I think a few of us should be trolls and sign up on one of those Millionaire.com dating sites
big_smile

They're scams. They take guys who pay to join sex sites like "Fling" or "Be Naughty" and girls who pay to join "Wealthy Men" and mush them together.

"What? You're not rich??!! What do mean all you want is to get laid?!" and vice versa...

Feb 08 13 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Little Ginger Lamb

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ms Eryka wrote:
smh.. i get random old white guys asking me my bra size

I got that, too. The comic book thing annoyed me more, though. (Probably because people have been asking me the bra question since 6th grade. Do I think it's acceptable? No.)

Feb 08 13 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Little Ginger Lamb

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MS Foto wrote:
It's been a bit different lately since they were aquired by Match.com. They've got some "crazy blind date" thing they've trying to roll out. Online dating is scarey enough, but a blind date with someone from the internet? NTY....

There is something inherently unnerving about this "crazy blind date" and I'm not sure many people would enjoy it. I'm dating someone long-term, so this isn't really something that would affect me, but if I WAS single, it would set off so many alarm bells for me.

Feb 08 13 12:03 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Barker

Houston, Arkansas, US

I have an account.

Feb 08 13 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I gave up after 2-2 1/2 years off and on. Met several ladies, a couple I liked, but were either not what they said, weren't looking for long term, or wanted kids. Responses were very minimal anyway and it wasn't worth the effort. I think I've given up trying to figure out what women want anymore, because it's definitely not what they say in their profiles. lol

Feb 08 13 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

Tried it. Full of:
-Fat girls with fake pictures
-Girls that are to afraid to meet someone they've never met but not afraid to tell someone they've never met they are in love with them
-Average girls who never get hit on in real life but online revel in a slew of exaggerated compliments from horny perverts

Anyone worthwhile is immediately lost in a sea of trust issues, misandry and perversion. Since worthwhile people don't waste their time on those kind of things, they often leave just as soon as they join.

1 evening in a club gives you 10x the chance of getting laid of an entire year of online dating.

Feb 08 13 12:51 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Connor Photography wrote:
Haha.... soooo it is not the others; it is YOU with a high bar. tongue

May be you haven't bumped into the ones whom you are willing to become a princess.  I am sure the day will come.  Keep flirting. 

smile

big_smile....I'd rather be Batman....I'll wait for the one who makes me feel as awesome as  Batman big_smile

Feb 08 13 01:59 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've been on and off of it since 2009. I had a few decent dates from it that year, met a couple platonic friends. I re-activated the account there, but honestly, I don't have a lot of luck with it. I think it's difficult to convey a sense of who I am, and what I want, in like 3 paragraphs on a website. To most people, I probably just come across as kind of weird and shy.

Feb 08 13 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

WOW... just found out that someone I've been dating for a few months (also a model on MM) is on OKCupid.  Hmmmmmm... what would you do?... hmm

Feb 08 13 02:35 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Select Models wrote:
WOW... just found out that someone I've been dating for a few months (also a model on MM) is on OKCupid.  Hmmmmmm... what would you do?... hmm

If you want to be exclusive then establish it.
Until then, you both are dating:)

Not everyone dates one person at a time.
Eggs in one basket is risky for some.

Feb 08 13 02:48 pm Link

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

yes ave used it but in my experience the most disturned weird off men can be found there Ave had better success with Match

Feb 08 13 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

JaneyGarnet

Portland, Oregon, US

I got a lot of dates on okcupid.  Most of them never got past the first date, but in several months I met my current boyfriend.  We've been together a year so far, and it's going great. I like okcupid because it offers more scope for literacy.  I'd rather have a good conversationalist than a pretty face.

But that's just how I like my men. Gorgeous but dim models, feel free to hit me up!

Feb 08 13 03:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ms Eryka

Inwood, New York, US

hey! my pics aren't fake!

Ben Hinman wrote:
Tried it. Full of:
-Fat girls with fake pictures
-Girls that are to afraid to meet someone they've never met but not afraid to tell someone they've never met they are in love with them
-Average girls who never get hit on in real life but online revel in a slew of exaggerated compliments from horny perverts

Anyone worthwhile is immediately lost in a sea of trust issues, misandry and perversion. Since worthwhile people don't waste their time on those kind of things, they often leave just as soon as they join.

1 evening in a club gives you 10x the chance of getting laid of an entire year of online dating.

Feb 08 13 03:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ms Eryka

Inwood, New York, US

im joking wink

Damon Banner wrote:

Yes.  I make every woman I meet, ever, suck on my toes.  https://i39.tinypic.com/f23ptl.jpg

Feb 08 13 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

yikes
be thankful you didn't see her on millionaire.com?

That sucks bro

Feb 08 13 04:04 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Yep. It's fun. Met my last long term boyfriend on there who is now a friend.

You get what you put out there. My profile is both intimidating and hilarious which I think weeds out the people who are complete idiots. I have gotten maybe 25 messages in the two weeks I've been on there. A couple of people are really interesting but for the most part it's just a hilarious social experiment for me. I have a date with someone on Sunday evening who is pretty awesome so far. I've gotten good use out of it. smile

Feb 08 13 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:

yikes
be thankful you didn't see her on millionaire.com?

That sucks bro

I haven't blown the whistle on her yet.  She's actually taking me to the movies tonight AND PAYING!  Might not wanna messup a good thing... wink... lol

Feb 08 13 05:19 pm Link

Model

Ararity

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

Ms Eryka wrote:
so I'm guilty.

I'm on okcupid and i havent met a lot of guys because they either flake or just disappear ..

anyone else on okcupid?

how are your experiences??

p.s. okcupid put out a study that black women get the least amount of replies from white men (which are the preferred mating choice by women overall on the site) and black men.

Dang. What about the latinos big_smile big_smile?? heh. I've never even seen the site honestly, but everyone's talking about it, saying they're on. I rmbr it it was shameful to say such a thing, (kinda like 2nd hand shopping) and now, you aren't COOl unless you DO!

Almost makes me think of it. But then 2 things strike my mind. 1 I still don't like the idea of having my mug out there in that way. (maybe do a pic with the head chopp'd off?) You ever see those people who look the same years later? Yeaaahh.... I'll be 30 and someone'll be like "Oh You still single, baby? I saw you on that site on day!!"

And 2, this may sound a lil conceited but bare with me... You ever meet someone & they fall head over heels for you before you've said one sentence?? Well I've experienced it a lot (and you models prob do all the time!) and I'm afraid I'll get all these emails from horny men who say even the most innocuous pic and went straight to my inbox without reading a goddamn thing I posted on my page and seeing if we were at all compatible. It makes me pretty angry actually at this age, having guys profess love when they don't even know me as a person. I'm a human being capable of compatibility or incompatibility, not a goddamn piece of art/commodity. If someone can actually take a vested interest in getting to know you (reading your profile in this case), and THEN liking what they see (read), and your looks are the icing on the otherwise delicious cake, perfect! But I guess (generally speaking), the man will look first, listen later, and the women vice versa.

I guess I could omit a photo altogether but then people may assume I'm actually older or not the correct body type listed, or unattractive, and pass my profile entirely.

And 3, this is def a double standard, but I would wonder in the back of my mind, at least for a man, what brings him as a man on a dating site (besides either a)less desirable for whatever reason b)instant access to plenty women and their photos for sex). A women I would just assume was curious or lonely or a million better reasons.

Oh wells. No online dating for me I guess?

Also, are any of these sites free? And what are the general ages of say, most of the suitors on POF?

Feb 09 13 03:31 am Link

Model

Ararity

Model Sarah wrote:
Yep. It's fun. Met my last long term boyfriend on there who is now a friend.

You get what you put out there. My profile is both intimidating and hilarious which I think weeds out the people who are complete idiots.....

but for the most part it's just a hilarious social experiment for me.

Sounds like something I would do/create. Maybe still will now that you word it like that! I love social experiments! big_smile

Feb 09 13 03:32 am Link

Model

Ararity

JaneyGarnet wrote:
I got a lot of dates on okcupid.  Most of them never got past the first date, but in several months I met my current boyfriend.  We've been together a year so far, and it's going great. I like okcupid because it offers more scope for literacy.  I'd rather have a good conversationalist than a pretty face.

But that's just how I like my men. Gorgeous but dim models, feel free to hit me up!

Oh SNAP! ahahahaha...pics! tongue

Feb 09 13 03:34 am Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

I did it for awhile a few years ago.  Met a few really weird people and a few crazies.  I also met two girls I dated for a few months and were decent people.  I stopped doing it because I like meeting people naturally.  I found the online approach tiring after awhile.

Feb 09 13 06:53 am Link

Model

Koryn

Ararity wrote:
You ever meet someone & they fall head over heels for you before you've said one sentence?? Well I've experienced it a lot (and you models prob do all the time!)

Um, no. Getting someone to notice me generally required doing a lot of extra stuff - like bringing boxes of homemade cookies to the place where they worked, or having a mutual friend just tell them that I liked them, or writing them cute notes and sticking it in their bag or jacket pocket when they weren't paying attention (did that a few times).  In the situation of being out in public, I would pretty much always notice someone and approach them first, and try to seem really sweet and smart, because I knew that otherwise, they would just disappear off into the night with someone taller and bustier, without ever talking to me - and I really, really thought they looked too interesting to pass up on.

It's always been on me, for the most part. At least from a short distance, I can be easily mistaken for a teenager, or someone who is "just too young," so part of getting attention, or asked out for a date, required me to come across *seeming* my age, and/or seeming mature for my age, so a 20 or 30 something single person wouldn't just ignore me, assuming I was "jailbait" (yeah, it's happened). And, no, I'm not joking. Being a tiny person, with a youthful-looking face, it's HARD to get taken seriously. I photograph like someone in my 20s; I LOOK like I'm a kid to most people in the real world.

Ararity wrote:
And 3, this is def a double standard, but I would wonder in the back of my mind, at least for a man, what brings him as a man on a dating site (besides either a)less desirable for whatever reason b)instant access to plenty women and their photos for sex). A women I would just assume was curious or lonely or a million better reasons.

The same reason women do it. For me at least (and yeah, I know I'm female and you're talking about dudes), I have no nearby social connections, and no connected network of friends in the area where I live, because I moved here in 2008, and worked/traveled a lot the first few years of my residence in this state. I have SOME friends, but they are all scattered throughout New England. My social network is fragmented, due to circumstance, and seeing them all irregularly so there's no one to introduce me to their friends, not in any realistic way.  Also, some areas of the country are "colder" socially, and not relationship-friendly. I would definitely say that about the Boston area. There are some really good-hearted people here, and almost everyone is basically pretty nice if you need to ask someone for directions, or you get a flat tire on the highway, or whatever --- but, in other ways, people are pretty cliquish and closed off, so it's harder to meet people than it was in the Southeast, where young people were just more emotionally open, and seemingly took greater risks in terms of opening up to new friends/companionships.

Feb 09 13 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Ben Hinman wrote:

You're doing something wrong.......very wrong.

Feb 09 13 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:
I think a few of us should be trolls and sign up on one of those Millionaire.com dating sites
big_smile

I can give you five reasons not to do that wink

Feb 09 13 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I'm curious about this online dating stuff but too afraid to try it.
I don't want my mugshot out there either.  I feel I'm too old too to try that and I'll just get a bunch of https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngold women contacting me which will scare me away.

My former boss tried it and found his current girlfriend there.  He told me he laid out some simple guidelines in his profile and someone took him up on it.  His theory was that you can meet tons more people online that you can face to face.  My question is what it the quality of the people in those online dating sites.

Feb 09 13 07:42 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

There used to be a time when a guy would come to your house, pick you up and drive you somewhere other than HIS house for a date (if he didn't ask you to drive there yourself).

He would then take you somewhere fun, perhaps dinner was involved... we do like to eat with someone we like you know...

The course of the evening would be enjoyable and you would be driven home without being pressured for sex.

Nowadays people use dating sites because they are too lazy to make the effort to know someone and glaringly stuck in fear to make any small commitment, even proclaim  'boyfriend-girlfriend' stature.

These days guys find it normal to go out in a group, or request you to 'hang out' at their apartment. After so many times me making the effort and providing a wonderland for a guy just to spend money in gas just to get to me... Ugh

How presumptuous to be put in the position of a weekend excursion before any innocent courtship could ensue?

I laugh when people seem perplexed when people are playing the field when nothing has been established regarding a 'relationship'. I don't even date people that are seeing multiple people because I'm not going to play a comparative game.

I think it's ridiculous to throw sex in the mix before there's enough time to establish anything! If so and it's love at first site, then the premise of bring exclusive, titles and all shouldn't be an issue... esp. if you are into someone enough to be naked and have intercourse:)

Holy Christ I thought people were committaphobes about marriage...
People are afraid to even have a sweet courtship!

Why has this archaic idea passed?

Nowadays everyone is so based in fear and complacency, the premise of dating is almost obsolete.

Most guys on OKCupid or any other dating site are:

Too busy and have no time to socialize lest date you
Trolling for sex
Use the best picture they took in life and advertise themselves as such (lol)

I'm so done with dating sites.

At least on OKCupid I met an attractive man, close to my age and what seemed to be a great match for me to take seriously.

Too bad he had growing pains, hated his mother (I could see why), and his life was in complete disarray. 

Oh yeah, the woman he fucked before was still in the picture.
Said he had no interest in having sex with her again.
... and you're friends with her still because?

lol

Never again... Just like this commercial

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=je7axonV … e7axonV2UA

Feb 09 13 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Jules NYC wrote:
After so many times me making the effort and providing a wonderland for a guy just to spend money in gas just to get to me... Ugh

Cheap fucker....
I'da tossed in dinner and some Skittles along with the gas for that. wink

Feb 09 13 07:55 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Small Fruit Pits wrote:

Cheap fucker....
I'da tossed in dinner and some Skittles along with the gas for that. wink

lol

I know, right?

Feb 09 13 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

It goes both ways.

There are women on such sites who, like the men who want to eschew courtship, want to bypass the preliminaries and get right to the "gimme, buyme, takeme."

That said, this isn't exclusive to dating sites. It happens in "real life" situations as well.

Feb 09 13 08:09 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Sophistocles wrote:
It goes both ways.

There are women on such sites who, like the men who want to eschew courtship, want to bypass the preliminaries and get right to the "gimme, buyme, takeme."

That said, this isn't exclusive to dating sites. It happens in "real life" situations as well.

They call those types 'dinner whores' smile

Big difference from wanting a courtship.
A courtship is about knowing a person.

As for the money thing, I 'get' it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LQ7wT4CU … Q7wT4CUprQ

Feb 09 13 08:13 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nope.

Feb 09 13 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Jules NYC wrote:
They call those types 'dinner whores' smile

If only dinner was all they wanted... wink

These days, if I meet someone new, and the first question is, "so, what do you do?" I make something up.

I think women have it harder on dating sites, though. The equivalent, as sexist as it might be to note, would be deliberately using a bad picture to fend off guys who just want looks for sex.

Feb 09 13 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Sophistocles wrote:

These days, if I meet someone new, and the first question is, "so, what do you do?" I make something up.

I think women have it harder on dating sites, though. The equivalent, as sexist as it might be to note, would be deliberately using a bad picture to fend off guys who just want looks for sex.

I currently do nothing.  That can be a problem. lol

Feb 09 13 08:25 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Sophistocles wrote:

Some people don't know how to make conversation so they ask typical questions like that.
Some people are genuinely interested in what you do.

Great to talk about if you love your job, not so much if you don't.

If the questions are paired with "What car do you drive?" then you may want to alter your course unless you live in Los Angeles lol

Dishonesty is never a good method to end a date you don't like.

Feb 09 13 08:26 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:

I currently do nothing.  That can be a problem. lol

The guy I speak of didn't have a job.
I knew he'd get one so that wasn't my concern.

It was how he treated me.

Feb 09 13 08:28 am Link

Photographer

L A F

Davenport, Iowa, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Nowadays people use dating sites because they are too lazy to make the effort to know someone and glaringly stuck in fear to make any small commitment, even proclaim  'boyfriend-girlfriend' stature.

I don't see how using a dating site is lazy.  You make a profile, you scope out people of interest, you strike up a conversation, you meet up, and then you get to know each other.  It's really no different than going out to meet someone, except instead of putting on makeup and getting dressed up, you're creating a profile.  And shit, if there is a first date, you're getting all gussied up anyway.  (or at least I would hope so)

I met my now boyfriend on OKC.  He moved to my area a year ago and works from home, so his friend base is pretty limited.  I also work from home, and my clients are all married people, so I'm not exactly meeting a potential partner at work.  So we joined the site to meet new people and maybe find someone worth dating. 

We talked online for a week, and then moved to texting while he was on a work trip to California.  When he got back from his trip, he scheduled dinner plans, and we did the typical date thing.  We got along great, he invited me to dessert the next night, and then we watched a football game because our favorite team was playing.  Then we kept hanging out, going on dates, made it offical within the week, met each others friends, and that's that.  We're very much at the 'couple state' of knowing each other.

It's really not all that different than typical dating once you get to the actual 'meet up' stage.  Of course online dating does complicate things, it can be a virtual smorgasbord of people that you're making snap judgments on...but hey, isn't that basically the modus operandi of the bar scene?

I do agree that dating overall has gotten a bit more lazy, just meeting at people's houses, or meeting up in a large group instead of doing the dinner and conversation thing, but that's certainly not just an online thing.

Feb 09 13 08:29 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Laura Ann - Fashion wrote:

I don't see how using a dating site is lazy.  You make a profile, you scope out people of interest, you strike up a conversation, you meet up, and then you get to know each other.  It's really no different than going out to meet someone, except instead of putting on makeup and getting dressed up, you're creating a profile.  And shit, if there is a first date, you're getting all gussied up anyway.  (or at least I would hope so)

I met my now boyfriend on OKC.  He moved to my area a year ago and works from home, so his friend base is pretty limited.  I also work from home, and my clients are all married people, so I'm not exactly meeting a potential partner at work.  So we joined the site to meet new people and maybe find someone worth dating. 

We talked online for a week, and then moved to texting while he was on a work trip to California.  When he got back from his trip, he scheduled dinner plans, and we did the typical date thing.  We got along great, he invited me to dessert the next night, and then we watched a football game because our favorite team was playing.  Then we kept hanging out, going on dates, made it offical within the week, met each others friends, and that's that.  We're very much at the 'couple state' of knowing each other.

It's really not all that different than typical dating once you get to the actual 'meet up' stage.  Of course online dating does complicate things, it can be a virtual smorgasbord of people that you're making snap judgments on...but hey, isn't that basically the modus operandi of the bar scene?

I do agree that dating overall has gotten a bit more lazy, just meeting at people's houses, or meeting up in a large group instead of doing the dinner and conversation thing, but that's certainly not just an online thing.

I had the same intent as you but my experience was different.
I'm happy for you that your experience was different.

smile

Feb 09 13 08:31 am Link

Model

Koryn

Jules NYC wrote:
There used to be a time when a guy would come to your house, pick you up and drive you somewhere other than HIS house for a date (if he didn't ask you to drive there yourself).

He would then take you somewhere fun, perhaps dinner was involved... we do like to eat with someone we like you know...

The course of the evening would be enjoyable and you would be driven home without being pressured for sex.

They will still do this - generally until they get into your pants. Then, it gets super-fun for a few weeks, followed by them swiftly losing interest in you, just at the point where you start feeling comfortable enough to begin really trusting them.

I always hated the "hanging out" culture that dating has evolved into. I don't want to "hang out" with someone, at their house - watching while they play video games and take bong hits - if I don't even know them yet. It's kind of uncomfortable to me. You don't have to spend money on taking me out somewhere; I will make a picnic, because I like to cook, and we can take it to a park somewhere and eat, and that's absolutely free. Know how many times I've wanted to do that with people, and they couldn't even manage to get out of fucking bed before 4pm to go with me???

I've always been a pretty loving, good-natured person, but this past year, I've developed some serious misanthropic tendencies.

Feb 09 13 08:32 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Koryn Locke wrote:

They will still do this - generally until they get into your pants. Then, it gets super-fun for a few weeks, followed by them swiftly losing interest in you, just at the point where you start feeling comfortable enough to begin really trusting them.

I always hated the "hanging out" culture that dating has evolved into. I don't want to "hang out" with someone, if I don't even know them yet. It's kind of uncomfortable to me. You don't have to spend money on taking me out somewhere; I will make a picnic, because I like to cook, and we can take it to a park somewhere and eat, and that's absolutely free. Know how many times I've wanted to do that with people, and they couldn't even manage to get out of fucking bed before 4pm to go with me???

I've always been a pretty loving, good-natured person, but this past year, I've developed some serious misanthropic tendencies.

I am with you on this 100%!

PS, picnics are awesome and super sweet.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=mHCuPfb4 … HCuPfb4QA0

Feb 09 13 08:35 am Link