Forums > General Industry > TF shoot gone bad? Would love everyone's opinion

Photographer

DCP Glamour

Dunwoody, Georgia, US

John Choi wrote:

Thank you.  Hey I see you're in Korea!  awesome.  (pouring you a soju from Los angeles)

LOL, nooooo! I can't stand soju! I'm moving back to the States next week and can't wait to stock my fridge with Blue Moon. smile

Feb 08 13 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Daeda1us wrote:

TADA!!!!

Houston, we have found the problem.
big_smile

Daeda1us

+1
(I too have heard the line, "My photographer friend said....". I just smile and say that I am not him and all photographers have their way of doing things. His way is not my way.)

Any model should be doing backflips that she found a photographer who was willing to part with the RAW files.

I agree that it's the photographer's job to provide edited print and web ready images (in JPEG), it is not the photographer's job to give them everything.

For a TF shoot, in addition to an agreed number of full size edited photos, I provide models a copy of all the unedited images, but in a SCALED DOWN JPEG (about 900x600). I also make it clear that only images I have edited are to be shared with anyone; via e-mail, Facebook, MySpace, text MMS, etc.. I tell her that I am giving he copies as a favor so that she can learn from her mistakes and work on her posing. I provide them with a CD of the images before she leaves, and she can e-mail me the file names of the images she wants edited. (again, we agreed on a number).

For a paid shoot (where I pay the model) I make it clear that she is only entitled to cash, not images. I can and will take my time with the edits, and if I decide to give her images, she will only get copies once whatever project I am doing gets released.
She gets cash, not images and cash. If she insists on getting copies, I get someone else.

Feb 08 13 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

John Choi

Torrance, California, US

DavidCoward Photography wrote:

LOL, nooooo! I can't stand soju! I'm moving back to the States next week and can't wait to stock my fridge with Blue Moon. smile

What?  You don't like soju? 

On a side note, I like how your profile distinguishes "south" Korea. Like there's a hotbed of photography in north korea

Feb 08 13 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Barker Photography

Northampton, England, United Kingdom

Ok this is just my 2p's worth ...

Firstly I never release unedited images to anyone unless I have to - and by have to I mean contractually obligated to (agency work etc). An unedited image shows neither the model(s) or yourself at their best and ultimately isn't that what TF* shoots are meant to be for - building both parties portfolios and surely nobody wants anything but the very best images in their portfolios?

Secondly I never give anyone RAW files, not even copies of RAW files or tiffs/dng's etc again unless I have to. I'm old enough to have learnt this photography lark by shooting on film so I see the RAW files as my negatives and jpegs as the prints and nobody would get my negatives without having to pry them from dead, cold fingers. For any use whatsoever a model has for the images you provide a jpeg should be more than sufficient. And as most people have said I personally don't think most models would necessarily know or care what a RAW file is or how to open them/what software or how to convert or edit them. Speaking as a tog I'd say I see that whole side of things as being very much my job and area of expertise not the model.

Thirdly as has been pointed out by a couple of others I'd say you're way too generous with what you provide models on a TF* shoot. Before shooting I go over this with all models and creatives on a TF* shoot - I'll provide a maximum of 5 images from a TF* shoot and more often than not 2 or 3, again the point of TF* shoots (in my opinion) is portfolio building and I'd rather have 2 quality images from a shoot in my portfolio than 20 average ones. Any images I provide to all models and creatives will be fully edited and retouched.

Feb 08 13 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

In support of the OP Mr Choi, Hi do much as he does. Most of my shoots are paid (by me) and most models are not pros. These guys expect all the pics and I supply them on dvd unedited but I shoot in jpg not raw. I edit s couple dozen and hive them the rest.

I see some sppalling edits but I don't appreciate care much. I think the OP is generous. His only mistake was not giving jpgs.

Feb 08 13 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

DCP Glamour

Dunwoody, Georgia, US

DavidCoward Photography wrote:

John Choi wrote:
What?  You don't like soju? 

On a side note, I like how your profile distinguishes "south" Korea. Like there's a hotbed of photography in north korea

Can't stand the stuff. A local bar/club offers up the popular "soju kettle," which is bascially a bottle of soju added to a liter of kool-aid. That stuff will kick your ass! Nope, give me a rum drink, a gin drink, or a decent bottle of beer and I'm happy.

I think the only photography that's allowed in N. Korea is state-approved propaganda. tongue

Feb 08 13 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

L Cowles Photography wrote:
I think it is best to give the model a DVD with jpgs.  These anyone can open up.  Most models are not into printing images and really need them for the web.  I shoot Raw and jpg so I can give them the jpgs.

+1

Feb 08 13 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

John Choi

Torrance, California, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:
In support of the OP Mr Choi, Hi do much as he does. Most of my shoots are paid (by me) and most models are not pros. These guys expect all the pics and I supply them on dvd unedited but I shoot in jpg not raw. I edit s couple dozen and hive them the rest.

I see some sppalling edits but I don't appreciate care much. I think the OP is generous. His only mistake was not giving jpgs.

thank you Stanley.  But as I posted already, I always ask the models if they had any trouble seeing the files.  And in this case, it was like a month after the shoot she came back demanding jpegs.  If a model cannot open the files as I can't remember ever happening, then I'd be happy to convert them.  But she was not very nice so I didn't.

Feb 08 13 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

David M Russell

New York, New York, US

It's not you.

Feb 08 13 07:04 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

John Choi wrote:
I'm still relatively new to MM and also to fashion photography. But I've been doing it for over 6 months an have done quite a bit of shooting. Generally, I like to do a TF shoot where after I shoot with a model I give them a DVD or two of the entire shoot plus several edited photos. The number of edited photos varies but roughly it's about 2-5% depending on the number of images. For instance a typical shoot will have about 400 images and I will edit around 10-20 images. Furthermore, I usually will tell the model that if they like any of the non edited images, I'd be happy to edit or retouch a few of them. The images are in NEF format as I shoot with a Nikon camera.

Ok, so recently I shot a model and thought the shoot went great. When I emailed her some images she replied with "OMG I love these!"  So I was happy. We even scheduled a second shoot.

Then a week later she abruptly cancelled the shoot via text and wanted to know when she would receive the DVDs. This was about one week after the original shoot and I had already emailed her about 8 edited images. I told her I'd be happy to hand over the DVD if she meets me with a signed release which I gave her and forgot to get signed. I was planning on giving her the DVDs when we met for our shoot. An the tone of her texts were very cold and felt very different than previous correspondence.  We met a few days later and exchanged DVDs for release.

Now a few weeks later (original shoot was I think over a month ago) she texts me saying why can't she open the files. I advised her downloading a free software like Picasa an she should be able to view the files. I've sent dozens of these DVDs to different models and i have never heard of a problem.  I also advised her that she should get used to handling RAW files as I believe most photogs shoot in that format (please tell me if you guys agree).  Then after several texts she said something about it being not her job to convert files. She's the model and I'm the photographer an I'm waisting her time.  If she asked nicely, I would have actually gone back and converted all (I think over 400 images I think) images to JPEg but thought she was being so rude that I told her lets just go our separate ways.

Am I being unreasonable?  I really feel like I am not being unreasonable. I'd love to hear from models and photogs and anyone else who had an opinion.

Based on what You are saying.
You are being awesome! She obviously doesn't understand the quality of service you have given her. I wouldn't get upset with yourself over it.
If she can't convert raw to jpg then i'm sure she doesn't know the value of raw files.
She needs to be nicer over it for sure.

Feb 08 13 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Can you shoot raw + ?

Its working well - I give as many or as few of the low res unprocessed jpegs out of the camera to the model as she wants.

Then 5-8 processed shoots as jpegs. A couple of trusted sensible models have got raws to play with but in general raw files are a PITA for model to manage store and use.

And echoing others above 10-20 processed shot is fairly generous but if it works for you - carry on.

Feb 08 13 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

If no one have said this yet.  Let me say it now. 

If you are way too nice and make us look bad.

In the future, release only the edited pics.  One to two edited images for each look are plenty within 2 weeks after the shoot. 

Don't dig a hole for yourself to fall in, please.

Feb 08 13 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

John Choi

Torrance, California, US

Connor Photography wrote:
If no one have said this yet.  Let me say it now. 

If you are way too nice and make us look bad.

In the future, release only the edited pics.  One to two edited images for each look are plenty within 2 weeks after the shoot. 

Don't dig a hole for yourself to fall in, please.

Ok got it.  I will do accordingly from now on.

Feb 08 13 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

John Choi

Torrance, California, US

Caitin   wrote:

Based on what You are saying.
You are being awesome! She obviously doesn't understand the quality of service you have given her. I wouldn't get upset with yourself over it.
If she can't convert raw to jpg then i'm sure she doesn't know the value of raw files.
She needs to be nicer over it for sure.

Thank you Caitin, it's nice to hear that from a model.  The only other model who responded if I didn't overlook anyone said I was an idiot and misspelled "you're". 

I feel much better.  But based on I think a majority of the posts so far, I probably should have done more to prevent the misunderstanding in the first place.  So no more mr nice guy?

Feb 08 13 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Allure Photography - MA

Hudson, Massachusetts, US

Shon D.- Homme wrote:
Also, I think you do WAY too much for these models anyway. Editing 10-20 images from a shoot is overkill. What is someone going to do with 20 images of themselves in the same green dress? And giving them all the unedited photos on top of that? HELL. NO. What's happening now is that people expect that from you and want to push further. You're already doing WAY more than most other photographers will do (I only edit one or two photos PER LOOK and do not give out any unedited photos), and she wants to complain about the file type (a problem that she could easily remedy herself.)

Not me. No ma'am. I'll got out of my way for nice/polite people. But you are not going to make demands (and rudely at that.)

I totally agree. I NEVER give unedited images in ANY format!! Giving ALL RAW images is just wrong. Professional photographers just don't do that. You may not consider yourself a professional, but as they say... "Play the part, until you get the part".

Feb 08 13 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

John Choi

Torrance, California, US

Natural Means wrote:
Can you shoot raw + ?

Its working well - I give as many or as few of the low res unprocessed jpegs out of the camera to the model as she wants.

Then 5-8 processed shoots as jpegs. A couple of trusted sensible models have got raws to play with but in general raw files are a PITA for model to manage store and use.

And echoing others above 10-20 processed shot is fairly generous but if it works for you - carry on.

Yes definitely I can shoot raw+.  Just need to click that on my camera.  I will sometimes shoot like a mad man and end up with thousands of files so I stopped doing that and just now shoot RAW. 

When I'm editing, if I see something I like or love I just can't help wanting to send it back to the model.  I generally feel very grateful she took her time to pose for me for free.  So actually I've given WAY more than that at times.

Feb 08 13 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

John Choi wrote:
Yes definitely I can shoot raw+.  Just need to click that on my camera.  I will sometimes shoot like a mad man and end up with thousands of files so I stopped doing that and just now shoot RAW. 

When I'm editing, if I see something I like or love I just can't help wanting to send it back to the model.  I generally feel very grateful she took her time to pose for me for free.  So actually I've given WAY more than that at times.

Its pretty easy to sort you files by type and bulk delete the jpegs them as soon as they serve their purpose (cut don't copy) . But anyway thats just my process.

All the best

Feb 08 13 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

John Choi

Torrance, California, US

Natural Means wrote:

Its pretty easy to sort you files by type and bulk delete the jpegs them as soon as they serve their purpose (cut don't copy) . But anyway thats just my process.

All the best

Thank you (I don't know your name).  I will try that.  And love your port BTW.  This summer I think I'd like to have more beach shoots.  But it's strangely cold in southern cali right now.

Feb 08 13 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Funny everybody sees the OP as too nice
I see misinformed
Not placing value on his work
Bad Judgment
A bit foolish
Learn a lesson from the Beyonce kerfuffle
https://www.celebjihad.com/celeb-jihad/harlots/beyonce4/beyonce1.jpg
A photographer is not
Mean, Evil, Stingy because they don't want substandard work being released

Feb 08 13 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

John Choi

Torrance, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
I see misinformed
Bad Judgment
A bit foolish
A photographer is not

I totally didn't read that everyone said I was too nice.  Many yes.  But I also feel like most were criticizing me in exactly the same way you did.

I think for the most part I agree with you, but you're making a giant leap when you say I don't place value on my work.  My edited work is precious to me and I think of them as a gift to anyone who worked with me.  The unedited files I think of as basically trash that I want my models to look at for their benefit to improve their modeling skills.  Also, they may actually like some of those pics more than the ones I liked.  Who am I to say only the ones I like are the ones they'd like?  If they want a different picture to put on their portfolio, Id like them to pick and have me edit them.  I enjoy doing this so I dont see how you can come to the conclusion you did.  My name is not on the RAW files that I put on a DVD. 

misinformed, bad judgement, and bit foolish is mostly correct. 

I appreciate your critique even though it does come across rather arrogant.

Feb 08 13 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Loriel Hunter wrote:

Blah blah blah your an idiot

*you're*

Regarding the "idiot" accusation, I am tempted but, I will refrain.

Good luck on MM.

Feb 08 13 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
I see misinformed
Bad Judgment
A bit foolish
A photographer is not

Dude, respect for others and a sense of humility are virtues. Seriously. Glass houses.

Feb 08 13 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

John Choi wrote:

She didn't pose for free; she posed for trade.

Feb 08 13 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Dimitrio

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

Dude, you have been very kind to this model, however, RAW files are definitely something the photographer should handle.

I sense a very positive spirit in your tune, so please don't let that go because of some issues with models and you will have some.

I have stopped issuing CD/DVD.  Instead i provide a download link for the files if necessary and usually these have been edited to reflect what i think is the best choice of images for a model or my portfolio.  I usually only retouch about 3, I can go up to about 15 if the shoot is really good.

Like someone mentioned earlier, a model wouldn't need 200 shots of herself in the same outfit.

Feb 08 13 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

kl-photographics

Lemgo, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

i'm not giving my raw files to anyone. when i'm in good mood or really liked the model, she gets the whole shoot in jpeg low resoloution. this is running by photoshop action, without any editing, just putting my logo. this is automaticly n runs during lunch break, no waste of time for me. out of focus or bad lightning r out before. then she gets max 5 pics edited. sometimes less than that. still have to feed my family instead of editing tfp shoots for days. that's how i work since 10 years now, works fine for me.

regards karsten

Feb 08 13 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

John Choi wrote:
... but you're making a giant leap when you say I don't place value on my work.  My edited work is precious to me and I think of them as a gift to anyone who worked with me.  The unedited files I think of as basically trash that I want my models ...

I'm just wondering how you can place value on your work when you allow what you refer to as "trash" to possibly make it's way out into cyberspace. I would think that anyone having sub par work (unedited files) floating around out there could possibly devalue their work. But that's just my mindset.

I'm not going to suggest what you should or shouldn't do - how you conduct your business is not anyone else's concern but your own. That said, I just found your comments in bold to be somewhat ironic.

Feb 08 13 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

L Cowles Photography wrote:
I think it is best to give the model a DVD with jpgs.  These anyone can open up.  Most models are not into printing images and really need them for the web.  I shoot Raw and jpg so I can give them the jpgs.

Agreed.  Giving models raw images can backfire on you.

1) They are high resolution and screaming: "steal me".  Not necessarily by the model, but if she posts them somewhere as a high res image it's asking for trouble IMHO.

2) You probably don't want the model's 'edit' being posted.  Some are good or have good people retouch images; some are atrocious. 

Either way, you have just lost control of your images when you give anybody high resolution copies of them. 

My 2¢

Feb 08 13 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

John Choi

Torrance, California, US

sweet gamine wrote:

She didn't pose for free; she posed for trade.

In this particular case yes you're right she did pose for trade and I feel like I more than compensated for that.  But I was talking more generally.  And I have had many models/females pose for me for free with no expected compensation.  And in that case I am even more willing to go out of my way to give them my best work.  I will even get prints for them as well.

Feb 08 13 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Sullivan

West Branch, Michigan, US

1) never give a model raw files, UNLESS you know that there a SUPERIOR photo retoucher then you are.

2) I rarely give jpgs to a model either. as I prefer to send them a PDF file of the images so they can view them, and learn. {but I also delete the crappy images } because no one really needs, or wants to see those.

3) if there that rude after a TF where you gave them 8 retouches. be nice, and let them know you will find someone else to work with. and to have a nice day.

smile, and book another shoot.

Feb 08 13 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Loriel Hunter wrote:
Blah blah blah your an idiot

Why is that phrase almost always misspelled?

Feb 08 13 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

Raw files?  That was a no-no.  Always give them jpgs, as no one needs special software to view those.

Feb 08 13 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

EbbysTouch

Dallas, Texas, US

Just A Suggestion:
--Model Release completed before shoot even begins
--If you have an iPhone/iPad or Droid consider going paperless with your model release using  the Easy Release App
--Shoot and be deliberate with your shots, 400 frames is a lot unless she had a kazillion looks to be captured.
--Try giving 2 images per look(or something similar)
--place TRASH (the images you don't value) in the TRASH BIN
--Decide whether YOU are going to choose the finals or whether the model will choose from your final selections--get a system. Giving all the images is not beneficial to the model OR to you. ONLY show the best of the best.
--Give Jpegs. Convert.
--If someone cancels ...shake it off, move on. Next!

hope this helps.

Feb 08 13 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

F8 Productions

Chicago, Illinois, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Why is that phrase almost always misspelled?

I think that Cuica got it right by referring to those who live in glass houses...

To the OP, giving away all of the raw files (in either RAW format or JPG) is terribly generous and inviting problems from more than a few standpoints.  There has been some solid advice here that you've paid attention to so far.  Good luck to you moving forward!

F8 Productions, Inc.

Feb 08 13 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Derrick_G_FlossyFlick

Edgewood, Maryland, US

You give 400 shots away on a TF shoot? My goodness!!! Not even on a paid wedding shoot for me.... This is your work and any flaws that may have transpired going out to the world you might say. And... to add your giving raw files with lots of your info piled up inside each images. Any mistakes is in plan site! Jpegs for models indeed with scaled down Meta data.
Quality will kick volume in the pants all day!
Take the shot.... Just don't shot it!

Feb 08 13 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

Shon D.- Homme wrote:
Fuck her. She can convert the files herself.

STRAIGHT to the point!  :-)

Feb 08 13 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

Dan K Photography wrote:
No, you are really generous. But you have to keep in mind that most people do not know what to do with raws. Just convert them before putting them on DVD.

+1

I've had Photoshop Wizards unable to open...

Feb 08 13 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

John Choi wrote:

I suppose I should stop giving out all the pics.  My main reason for doing so is to help the model really see herself in a photo to help her to become a better model.  And since I don't have my name on it, I don't really care that it gets out even though it's not my best work.  I am only protective of my edited work.  I don't know, it's just a bunch of data bits.  I guess I should be more protective.

I have one model with whom I have worked for a number of years and I don't mind giving her raw files because there is a high level of trust between us and I know she has the skills to make her own interpretations of the images.

There is a small number of models to whom I give jpegs of the entire shoot.  Those are models who are serious about improving their posing and want to see both the good and the not so good.  Those models are very much in the minority.

If you continue to give out raw images, you will get burned sooner or later - it is a certainty.

If you want to give out full sets of images, I suggest you get a copy of Lightroom, make a large watermark that says "Proof Image" or similar, then export the files as a batch with that watermark across the middle of the photos.

Feb 08 13 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Derrick_G_FlossyFlick

Edgewood, Maryland, US

natural beauties of qld wrote:

I have one model with whom I have worked for a number of years and I don't mind giving her raw files because there is a high level of trust between us and I know she has the skills to make her own interpretations of the images.

There is a small number of models to whom I give jpegs of the entire shoot.  Those are models who are serious about improving their posing and want to see both the good and the not so good.  Those models are very much in the minority.

If you continue to give out raw images, you will get burned sooner or later - it is a certainty.

If you want to give out full sets of images, I suggest you get a copy of Lightroom, make a large watermark that says "Proof Image" or similar, then export the files as a batch with that watermark across the middle of the photos.

+1

Feb 08 13 10:11 pm Link

Model

Angel ONeill

Venice, Veneto, Italy

Shon D.- Homme wrote:
Fuck her. She can convert the files herself.

Oh my god I chuckled when I read this especially when looking at the avi lol

Feb 08 13 10:13 pm Link

Model

Angel ONeill

Venice, Veneto, Italy

Cuica Cafezinho wrote:

*you're*

Regarding the "idiot" accusation, I am tempted but, I will refrain.

Good luck on MM.

This +1.

Be careful whose toes you step on today they might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

Feb 08 13 10:22 pm Link