Forums > General Industry > What color pointe shoes for my "shoot wardrobe"?

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Alright, so lately, I've been asked quite a bit to do various sorts of shoots that are based on my dance background--and by that I mean classical ballet, not Irish dance. :-P Anyway, I obviously have normal "ballet pink" pointe shoes. I am going to be getting/making some hot pink ones for performance, that could also be used for shoots. I can easily make black pointe shoes in a heartbeat if asked (hello, magic marker), and I could also pretty easily and quickly create "nude" colored ones, if need be.

I want to have a random, crazy color of pointe shoes in my "shoot closet," for when, inevitably, I'm asked for pointe shoes in a "crazy" sort of technicolor for a shoot. I want to order colored ones now, and not wait until asked, because I have to order straight from Russia, and since I'm almost literally in BFE, that takes a lot of time.

Again, these are the colors I have/will have/have easy access to at the moment:

ballet pink, black, nude, hot pink.

What color do you think I should order? Blue, yellow, bordeaux, forest green? (I don't want white, as they will get dirty if I just look at them the wrong way.)

Which would you want to shoot me in?

Thanks in advance! smile

Feb 10 13 04:28 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Black and white work with a lot of other combinations - 'hot' colours pretty much only with 'hot' coloured outfits.

Pink is a 'standard' pointe colour so doesn't look too out of place with other outfits, but in my experience, 'other coloured' footwear is only ever used with a specific outfit.
If they're not cheap, I'd hold off...

Feb 10 13 04:39 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Thanks for the input. smile

I'm mostly talking about those shoots where people want the pointe shoes to specifically stand out, though.

Feb 10 13 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Drew T

Exeter, England, United Kingdom

Red satins always look striking!

Feb 10 13 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Unless you're doing something off the wall I think the ballet pink will work in any scene you're going to be wearing them in. Actually I think if they were any other color they may even look out of place.

Black is always nice to have on hand but you have them already. I agree that a deep red might be another useful color.

Feb 10 13 08:35 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

The shoe color can be changed in Photoshop.  I don't know how much pointe shoes cost, but it doesn't make sense to have more than a pink and black option in the hopes you will get someone to shoot you in them.

Feb 10 13 08:49 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

i vote for forest green

Feb 10 13 08:57 am Link

Model

S. Stark

Los Angeles, California, US

Do you have a link to a website where we can see the shoes?

Feb 10 13 11:02 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Pink or cream = dainty/sexy. To me at least!:-))

Feb 10 13 11:11 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

These are the colors that the company offers. (Please note that the shoes pictured are their mini keychain shoes, not the actual pointes, BUT they're made with satin scraps from the actual shoes, so the colors are accurate.) Again, I was looking at the yellow, blue, forest green, and bordeaux ones.

For what it's worth, I also love their bubblegum pink color, but it's so close to a regular pink that I can't really justify it. I might just up and order those the next time I need "plain" ones. wink

I know I don't NEED them, and that I have the basics covered, but I want a punchy color so I have the option. You know how it is with shoot wardrobe. smile

http://www.pointeshoefitting.co.uk/poin … e_main.jpg

Feb 10 13 11:33 am Link

Model

S. Stark

Los Angeles, California, US

I like the forest green ones, and the orange ones, most of all!!

Feb 10 13 11:37 am Link

Photographer

ME_

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I actually don't like any of those colors. The only one I'd suggest getting (edit: if you feel you must) is a true deep red, like M.A.C. Russian Red lipstick. The red in the picture is more of a tomato orangey red.

Edit: of those colors though, if that's all there is to choose from, I would get the red-orange ones.

Feb 10 13 11:38 am Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Portland, Oregon, US

Rachel-Elise  wrote:
Alright, so lately, I've been asked quite a bit to do various sorts of shoots that are based on my dance background--and by that I mean classical ballet, not Irish dance. :-P Anyway, I obviously have normal "ballet pink" pointe shoes. I am going to be getting/making some hot pink ones for performance, that could also be used for shoots. I can easily make black pointe shoes in a heartbeat if asked (hello, magic marker), and I could also pretty easily and quickly create "nude" colored ones, if need be.

I want to have a random, crazy color of pointe shoes in my "shoot closet," for when, inevitably, I'm asked for pointe shoes in a "crazy" sort of technicolor for a shoot. I want to order colored ones now, and not wait until asked, because I have to order straight from Russia, and since I'm almost literally in BFE, that takes a lot of time.

Again, these are the colors I have/will have/have easy access to at the moment:

ballet pink, black, nude, hot pink.

What color do you think I should order? Blue, yellow, bordeaux, forest green? (I don't want white, as they will get dirty if I just look at them the wrong way.)

Which would you want to shoot me in?

Thanks in advance! smile

Black for contrast against light skin color. AND, RED to keep with ballet lore (The Red Shoes). wink

Feb 10 13 07:49 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

Gainesville, Florida, US

Emerald green smile

Feb 10 13 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Hmmm ...

Sexy ballerina.
I like.

Feb 11 13 03:37 pm Link

Model

Poses

Kansas City, Missouri, US

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/The_Red_Shoes_%281948_movie_poster%29.jpg

End of discussion.

Feb 11 13 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Portland, Oregon, US

Poses wrote:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/The_Red_Shoes_%281948_movie_poster%29.jpg

End of discussion.

exactly! smile

Feb 11 13 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Little Ginger Lamb

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I can't access the website you linked for some reason, but I can't echo enough how you need some deep, blood red pointe shoes.

I would also go with some bright sky blue shoes, because blue goes well with most colors. It's something other than black and pink, but it's not so overwhelming you can't wear it with anything.

Feb 11 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Drew T

Exeter, England, United Kingdom

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/15980253@N05/8468337117/]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8373/8468337117_d620a7731e_z.jpg

Feb 12 13 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Green would look lovely next to your face and hair. If you're not a yogini, bordeaux.

Feb 12 13 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

This isn't my photo, but it's the one that would make me lean towards red. I only have pink and black in my port.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080321/18/47e43dd280cd0_m.jpg

Feb 12 13 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

deja vu

Feb 12 13 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Rachel-Elise  wrote:
Alright, so lately, I've been asked quite a bit to do various sorts of shoots that are based on my dance background--and by that I mean classical ballet

Is there an AD on the session? 
What does the casting call for?
Is there a wardrobe stylist and/or clothing designer in the mix?

Rachel-Elise  wrote:
What color pointe shoes

For my sessions that is totally up to the client, albeit I have ready access to a myriad of pointe shoes via a ballet studio within walking distance of my studio...

A major issue is "are the shoes broken in?" and do they fit perfectly...
new show don't function well till broken in...
If I'm doing extensive catalog for a collection the talent seriously needs to have proper fitting footwear to go the distance... enough said...

Feb 12 13 07:20 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Pretty Deadly Stylz

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

On hand, what would be most useful to me, the black, light pink ( which can be PS to creme or nude), Red & the Emerald Green.

I think the red is a definite classic, but not so regularly seen that it still stands out.

The green would look amazing on you.

So my vote is the red and green shoes.

Feb 12 13 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Pretty Deadly Stylz wrote:
On hand, what would be most useful to me, the black, light pink ( which can be PS to creme or nude), Red & the Emerald Green.

I think the red is a definite classic, but not so regularly seen that it still stands out.

The green would look amazing on you.

So my vote is the red and green shoes.

Fully agree.

Feb 12 13 09:01 pm Link