Forums > Photography Talk > Cannon 60d

Photographer

AshleyJames Photography

Southampton, England, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

I was looking to invest in a canon 60d and i was wondering if anyone else is currently using one. I would like to know how you get on with it and also how your photo's turned out ?

thanks,

Ashley James Photography

Feb 13 13 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

David Nelson Photograph

Dallas, Texas, US

I shoot with the Canon 60D and I absolutely love it.  It has the same sensor as the 7D, which was my other choice, but there was no difference in image quality the 60D was my choice and at a  price point $500 less than the 7D it left money to pay for part of an L series lens.  The 7D and the cameras above have features the 60D doesn't have, but I since I don't use those features, it was a easy choice.

Feb 13 13 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Houston, Texas, US

I am very happy with mine. Most of my port was taken with one. I am partially blind. And the controls for a little difficult to see. But I am very happy with it.

Feb 13 13 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

AshleyJames Photography

Thanks normally when a company adds features such as video or a swivel screen the image quality doesn't seam to be as good but by the sounds of it this seams to no be the case.

I'm hopefully going to get my hands on a canon 60d and if it shoots as well as a 7d and is cheaper i think the investment will be worth it.

Feb 13 13 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

AshleyJames Photography

Any other thoughts ??

Feb 14 13 03:42 am Link

Photographer

Stay Young Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

I would be interested to know as well since I would be looking to upgrade from the XT. The video part I have no current need for; never know in teh future.

Feb 14 13 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I use one along side my 1DsmkIII for when I need a crop camera (product/catalogs, close up beauty, macro, headshots, sports). I got it at a bargain price and intended to use it for a wedding photobooth build but ended up using it a lot that just stayed in my camera bag and getting a 650D for the booth instead.
I like the quality and feel of the video it produces though a challenge to get focusing spot on. For photography work there's no issues found. The swivel screen also helps with difficult low or high angle shots.

Feb 14 13 05:05 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

I just picked up a 60d  this was my first shoot with it. I have shot in the past with the 20d,30d and 40d  I skipped the 50d and went straight to the 60d now.

Sample of shot taken with 60d
https://img585.imageshack.us/img585/8907/sampledb.jpg

Feb 14 13 05:26 am Link

Photographer

AshleyJames Photography

Very nice shots ! Yeah I've been shooting currently with the 40d on my port but I really would like a new camera and the 60d looks great but it's also nice to hear and see that it performs how you would expect it.

The screen for the better angle of shots will also be very useful and save a lot of leaning and bending etc ..

Feb 14 13 06:36 am Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

I have one and love it.  However, I wouldn't consider any camera an "investment". Over the next two years it's value will fall dramatically if you try and sell it, and newer cameras will continually be released with better features.

Feb 14 13 07:51 am Link

Photographer

AshleyJames Photography

I think the body would be good to keep for quiet a few years and maybe just upgrading the lens' might be a better options

Feb 14 13 08:54 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

AshleyJames Photography wrote:
Hey everyone,

I was looking to invest in a canon 60d and i was wondering if anyone else is currently using one. I would like to know how you get on with it and also how your photo's turned out ?

thanks,

Ashley James Photography

Here is a Professional Review...

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/ … non_eos60d

Feb 14 13 08:56 am Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

It's a good camera and the sensor is pretty good up to ISO1600. I have the 7D and I'll be holding onto it until the shutter fails on me. I considered a 60D also, but I wanted the AF micro-adjustments since my 24-70mm often benefits from it. Would have loved to have the swivel screen. I had it with a t3i and though I didn't use it that often, it comes in handy here and there.

Feb 14 13 10:55 am Link

Photographer

ChrisCrimsonPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

I didn't find a great upgrade from 40d to. 60d.  If anything I thought my 40d looked cleaner.  Get a rebel t4i or wait for the 70d

Feb 14 13 11:02 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Cyclops wrote:
I didn't find a great upgrade from 40d to. 60d.  If anything I thought my 40d looked cleaner.  Get a rebel t4i or wait for the 70d

T4i has the same sensor as the 60D.  60D has faster shutter speed, better buffer, etc etc etc. why the T4i?  as for 'cleaner' can't comment. never shot with a 40D. but did you do a fair comparison (i.e. account for sensor size?). its a lot easier to get clean looking small images with a small sensor. but when you zoom the details it all falls apart.

Feb 14 13 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

AshleyJames Photography

Thanks guys been really useful =]

Feb 15 13 01:43 am Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

The t4i and the M1 both have an 18mp sensor, but it's not the same as the other, earlier 18mp sensors. The newer sensor is not as good at higher iso and has some of its sensor taken up for video AF.

Feb 15 13 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Jon Gilchrist

South Bend, Indiana, US

I have two 60Ds and love them. Bought it for the improved high ISO performance as an upgrade from the XSi. I love the swivel screen and use it WAY more than I thought I would. And as an added benefit, if you flip the screen out while shooting there is more room for your nose before it smashed against the back of the camera. I also use it for video, and Magic Lantern adds a ton of handy features like focus peaking, trap focus, rack focus and better sound controls.

Feb 15 13 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I was looking at the 60D, but got the T2i instead (same image quality, having the same sensor, processor, and software) The "shortcomings" of the T2i weren't anything I cared about (more af points, thumbwheel, flip out screen, etc - I wouldn't use em)

The IQ of this sensor, however, is great. Love it.

Feb 15 13 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

When I was in the market a year ago I bought the T3i instead of the 60D. I don't do a lot of sports photography so higher frame rates with the 60D and 7D didn't tempt me much.

Feb 15 13 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Used 50D's often sell for more than new 60D's.   The 60D has a plastic body.  The 50D has an aluminum or magnesium body.  I bought a 50D (used with a low shutter count) and had it converted for IR.  I love the 50D. 

Personally, I'm not a big fan of anything plastic unless it's disposable, and even then not too much. 

If you want to shoot video and have a crop frame, well the Rebel series has some good cams.  I've also used a 7D extensively.  It shoots beautiful Video, has dual sensors, and 8 fps.  You can get a used 7D with a low shutter count for a very reasonable price.

My 2¢

Feb 15 13 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

AshleyJames Photography

Has anyone bought second hand camera's before ? You can get cheaper second also with shutter counts or is it just best to buy new ?

Feb 15 13 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Not trying to hijack this thread, but has anyone compared the 60D with the 6D

I'm considering the 6D, but would like to hear from others . . .

KM

Feb 15 13 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Gilchrist

South Bend, Indiana, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

KM

Ken, go read the Recent Articles at LensRentals.com starting on January 29 about "Roger Buys a Camera System."  He talks about the 6D as a real user.

http://www.lensrentals.com/

(I'm not affiliated with LensRentals, I'm not even a customer.  I just read the blog.)

Feb 15 13 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

AshleyJames Photography

I have managed to find a brand new 60d for £650 with a EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit.

sounds a good price ?

Feb 15 13 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

Light and Lens Studio wrote:
Used 50D's often sell for more than new 60D's.   The 60D has a plastic body.  The 50D has an aluminum or magnesium body.  I bought a 50D (used with a low shutter count) and had it converted for IR.  I love the 50D. 

Personally, I'm not a big fan of anything plastic unless it's disposable, and even then not too much. 

If you want to shoot video and have a crop frame, well the Rebel series has some good cams.  I've also used a 7D extensively.  It shoots beautiful Video, has dual sensors, and 8 fps.  You can get a used 7D with a low shutter count for a very reasonable price.

My 2¢

Chances are that you wouldn't be able to tell which material was which by looking at it. The 60D is not just plastic, it's an alloy. Besides, my favorite lens is made of plastic, the 100mm f2.8L and there's no shame in owning it, or saying it's made of plastic.

Feb 15 13 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

Used 50D's often sell for more than new 60D's.

Used 50Ds are going around $360-400 (per FredMiranda.com buy and sell forum), which is definitely well below the 60Ds price.

Feb 15 13 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

Has anyone bought second hand camera's before ? You can get cheaper second also with shutter counts or is it just best to buy new ?

Used cameras can be a really good deal.  The usual suggested place to buy one is KEH.com, as they very fairly grade the equipment they sell, and offer good customer service if you are not happy with your purchase.  They do charge a little more than you could find on eBay.  FredMiranda.com Buy and Sell forum is another place that typically has honest sellers.

Feb 15 13 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

AshleyJames Photography

Ive always been a bit less confident in buying second hand camera's

Feb 15 13 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Gilchrist

South Bend, Indiana, US

You can buy refurb cameras direct from Canon. They currently have the 60D body only for $799.  I bought my second body as a refurb, it had under 600 clicks on it.

And the "plastic" that the body is made of is an advanced engineering polymer, not some chintzy junk.  It's the same base polymer as bulletproof glass.  I have no fear for the durability of the body.

Feb 15 13 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

I have managed to find a brand new 60d for £650 with a EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit.

sounds a good price ?

That's a pretty good deal. B&H has the same deal ($1000 US) until tomorrow.

Feb 15 13 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Let There Be Light

I've also used a 7D extensively.  It shoots beautiful Video, has dual sensors, and 8 fps.

I think you mean dual DIGIC processors, not dual sensors.

Feb 15 13 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Beautifully Soft Focus

Plano, Texas, US

David Nelson Photograph wrote:
I shoot with the Canon 60D and I absolutely love it.  It has the same sensor as the 7D, which was my other choice, but there was no difference in image quality the 60D was my choice and at a  price point $500 less than the 7D it left money to pay for part of an L series lens.  The 7D and the cameras above have features the 60D doesn't have, but I since I don't use those features, it was a easy choice.

Ditto ... most of my port was shot with the 60D or it's little brother the XSi

Feb 15 13 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

MarcMarayag

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

i bought a second hand 60d with 15k actuations on it and it worked out fine

it was the camera is started with and i do enjoy it - i shoot a lot wide open and i dont have the best still hand so the i did miss a lot of my shots at f1.2

it takes awesome photos though - especially in the studio

Feb 15 13 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Santy Calalay

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I love the 60d. 90% of my portfolio has been shot with it and I'm going to be holding on to it for awhile. smile

Feb 15 13 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

AshleyJames Photography

I've just purchased the 60d looking forward for its delivery !

Feb 16 13 06:27 am Link

Photographer

PIEntertainment

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

KM

The 6D is a let down in many ways, the main reason is the having the same auto focus points as the 60D or the 5dmark2, I'm not sure why they didn't give it more like the 7D and the 5dmark3. That alone I think it doesn't make it worthwhile to switch to, also the full frame sensor is actually mm shorter than an actual full frame sensor like on the 5d2 and 5d3 cameras, which again I have no idea why they did that. I think if someone has a 60d or a 7D the next future upgrade would be a 5dmark3 not a 6d. The 6d was created for people that have never had a DSLR and want to go straight into full frame instead of buying a rebel or a 60d/7d crop sensor camera. Anyone that's been shooting for a while will probably not upgrade to the 6d since it's not worth much for the price they're asking for it.

For opinion's sake I own and use a 5dmark2 and a 60D, and so I will be waiting for the 5dmark3 to go down in price a little more this year or next year and then upgrade to that completely bypassing the 6D.

Feb 16 13 06:42 am Link

Photographer

photoguy35

Goodyear, Arizona, US

KM

The reviews I have read have been very positive, especially with respect to image quality.  Ergonomics are very similar to the 60D.  I was very impressed with the one I tried in Best Buy.

Feb 16 13 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Faces2Die4 Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Just got back from my first photo excursion with my 60D, which was an upgrade from my Rebel Xt. It was my daughter's first horse show and I made use of the three main features the 60D has that the Xt lacked.

I took some video that I replayed directly onto our flat screen TV when we got home, which allowed my 7 year old to see what she looked like during the show.

I used the swivel screen to take some interesting low angle shots of horses going over the jumps.

And I used the in-camera high contrast B&W creative filter to create and save some cool monochrome images of the old barns and horse stalls on the property.

I also took numerous regular still shots and was very pleased with the image quality.

Overall I'm very happy with the 60D.

Cheers
John
F2D4

Feb 17 13 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Any other thoughts ??

The bells and whistles of newer cameras are reaching plateau of comparisons so camera makers zero in on ergonomics.

The ergonomics (and handling) of the 60D mirrors the 6D.

Canon is grooming APSc 60D infants to mature to the 6D and weaning (winning) them via interface grooming.

The 7D is similar the 5DII and 5DIII in interface.

You will notice that there are now two genre strata of Canon ergonomics UI users... (the 1D series excluded)

The Rebel, X series have no Full Frame equivalent, but that may change soon... who knows.

Feb 17 13 06:26 pm Link