Forums > Model Colloquy > At what point is it appropriate for a model to...

Model

Vivian Vega

Pasadena, Texas, US

At what point is it appropriate for a model to start making postings along these lines..." I will be in this area on these dates contact me to book me" Should I wait to make such postings? I would like to so I can hurry up and get back to L.A. to work with great people again but I think I feel so odd about it because I feel like I am doing that way too soon? I for the most part just really like modeling and really enjoy the team part of it and the creativity of it. I don't really think about it as being my income so I guess thats why I feel so strange about making such a posting but eh anyways what are your thoughts? And even If I was to do that what would be a reasonable rate?

Feb 21 13 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

SPV Photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Give it a shot.

If nobody bites, it's too early or there may not ever be enough interest.

Feb 21 13 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

If you know you're going to be in an area on a certain date go for it https://www.modelmayhem.com/casting/new_travelnotice

That's what it's there for smile The sooner the better.

Feb 21 13 03:00 pm Link

Model

Vivian Vega

Pasadena, Texas, US

Thanks guys I do feel much more confident about it smile I may over think things sometimes heh but then what do you feel is a reasonable rate?

Feb 21 13 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

just be clear about whether you expect to get paid or are offering trade. if you are trying to get paid some people will get upset but so what?

it's never too early to make money. money is useful. it buys food and stuff.

back several years ago i could hire very experienced nude traveling models for $75-$125/hour.

Feb 21 13 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Do a search of existing availability/travel notices in the area you will be going to.  Get a feel for how far out they are advertised and what rates similar models are asking for similar work.  Be objective in evaluating whether those models might have better portfolios, better reputations, etc.  Also observe how fast their slots are filling.  (Since you don't do nudes, don't compare yourself to models that do.)

Realize asking rates do not always reflect accepted rates.

To get some idea of what photographers might pay you, ask in the critique forum, though I'd still take that with a grain of salt.

Feb 21 13 03:05 pm Link

Model

Vivian Vega

Pasadena, Texas, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
Do a search of existing availability/travel notices in the area you will be going to.  Get a feel for how far out they are advertised and what rates similar models are asking for similar work.  Be objective in evaluating whether those models might have better portfolios, better reputations, etc.  Also observe how fast their slots are filling.

Realize asking rates do not always reflect accepted rates.

To get some idea of what photographers might pay you, ask in the critique forum, though I'd still take that with a grain of salt.

Thank you!

Feb 21 13 03:08 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

It's never too soon to start leaving those kind of tags if that's what you want to do.  Looks like you've been here since 2008, so you're hardly new. 

I would say something like "I'll be in your area (insert dates), please let me know if you have any paid (or TF if that's what you're looking for) projects you think my look may work for."

The fact that you don't have fashion stats, and aren't willing to do nudes (or even implied) may make it a bit more difficult for you to find interested photographers, so start networking/tagging pages now!  Best of luck! smile

Feb 21 13 04:19 pm Link