Forums > Critique > I'm not fishing for compliments, I need advice

Model

outofcommission

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey.
I've quit modeling, for many a month.
I got tired of freelancing, my agency was useless.
(Thank GOD my contract ended on the 14th, another agency wouldn't take me 'til then.)
So here's how I feel about my port.
I'm not a fan and I don't think it stands out.
The photos don't do me justice.
I don't want to waste time on hopefuls, and..
a photographer who shot me for a paper said he doesn't shoot girls for free.
That made TF look even worse for all parties involved.
(I don't think there's anything wrong with it and I don't think it makes a photographer a creep, rookie or otherwise. It's nice of you guys to offer TF.)
So my point.
When I look in the mirror, I see more potential than what's in my photos.
I feel that either I'm not photogenic, or I haven't had any good shots yet.
If you've got a minute to look over my profile......
I want to know what you think.
I'm trying to get back in, but I'm skipping the BS. I'm using my crappy photos to try and get into reputable agencies.
Whether you care or not, you won't hurt my feelings if you tell me that these pics won't get me in.
I still don't know if I'm my own biggest critic, if they're juuust okay enough to get me in.
You be the judge. :')

Feb 23 13 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Julie Nikota

Brantford, Ontario, Canada

You do have potential, and I agree with you, your photos are not representing you well.  You just have to keep searching for a photographer who will bring out the best in you with lighting, posing and direction.  Just keep searching for the right photographer to work with smile

Feb 23 13 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130131/11/510ac5432bd8e_m.jpg
Dark clothing and hair against a dark background will not help you stand out
Pose of models right hand looks awkward, like some one said put it here and that’s what you did

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121119/16/50aad071bb66e_m.jpg
Best photo from portfolio
Your pose is not dynamic, both head and body facing same direction
Less head tilt
[Could ask photographer to crop above dress, as it is now dress is a distracting element]

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120802/13/501ae808c0638_m.jpg
Due to pose models right knee looks huge compared to left
Uncomfortable bend in models right wrist

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120827/10/503ba84827cbe_m.jpg
Keep your fingers in the picture
Lighting on face and expression not flattering

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120606/19/4fd014939866d_m.jpg
This is the other photo that looks like it belongs in a modeling portfolio

You have a good look; think stronger modeling photos would boost your portfolio

Feb 23 13 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

DP

Feb 23 13 06:11 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

You're pretty but you're 20 years old and you don't have the 'agency look' so stop wasting your time with agencies.

As an independent model you could probably make money shooting nudes but otherwise it's very unlikely.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Feb 23 13 06:14 am Link

Photographer

L Bass

Nacogdoches, Texas, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
You're pretty but you're 20 years old and you don't have the 'agency look' so stop wasting your time with agencies.

As an independent model you could probably make money shooting nudes but otherwise it's very unlikely.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

+1

Feb 23 13 06:21 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

I agree, I don't really know what you're expecting to make money doing.

However, you're cute and modelling is a fun hobby. You need to work with better photographers and practice posing.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=modeling+poses

Unskilled models + unskilled photographers = meh images.

If it's something you enjoy doing, do it. Art is life for a lot of people. It does cost time and money, but most enjoyable things do.

Feb 23 13 07:37 am Link

Photographer

bw fotograf

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Shannon Hardy wrote:
I don't want to waste time on hopefuls, and..
a photographer who shot me for a paper said he doesn't shoot girls for free.
That made TF look even worse for all parties involved.
(I don't think there's anything wrong with it and I don't think it makes a photographer a creep, rookie or otherwise. It's nice of you guys to offer TF.)

first off, you need to re-evaluate this line of thinking. some of the absolute BEST photographers MM has to offer ONLY do TF. in fact, one of them has already responded to you. if you can't find any quality TF work in your area, that's a geographic problem, not a TF issue.

i think you're quite attractive in a couple of your pics and in real life, i would definitely chat you up, but your port is not selling me on hiring you for anything other than local, low-budget advertising.

what kind of agency do you think you should be with? fashion? lifestyle? you don't meet agency stats for fashion, nor do you have the look, but you should be able to get some lifestyle work if you'd avoid the cheesy concepts when building your port and SMILE more. lifestyle is about fun and carefree, sometimes stoic, sometimes goofy.

lose the pseudo-glam shots that aren't helping you at all, unless of course your willing to do glam and nudes with which you might just be quite successful.

Feb 23 13 08:03 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It depends on what kind of agency you are trying to get in with and what you are trying to do with them.

You're only 5'6.

If you value trying to get decent pictures to submit to an agency, it might be a wise decision to pay a photographer. An experienced photographer, not just anyone.

Otherwise, you could model as a hobby.
If you want, you can PM me and I can let you know some good photographers in the Hamilton/Toronto area that you can try and contact to set up a shoot with. If that is something you would be interested in doing.

Feb 23 13 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

KonstantKarma wrote:
I agree, I don't really know what you're expecting to make money doing.

However, you're cute and modelling is a fun hobby. You need to work with better photographers and practice posing.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=modeling+poses

Unskilled models + unskilled photographers = meh images.

If it's something you enjoy doing, do it. Art is life for a lot of people. It does cost time and money, but most enjoyable things do.

+1

But just one worthless opinion.   smile

Feb 23 13 09:28 am Link

Model

outofcommission

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd like to thank everyone for the advice, whether it's positive or blunt. Some is encouraging and some discouraging but whatever. I take criticism well and I appreciate all the good advice. Thank you for the compliments.

Lifestyle is essentially what I had in mind. Commercial print. I already modeled as a hobby, and I percieve it as work after the few fun hours of the shoot. You get tired of it and you want to go home like everybody else. In most cases agencies are a waste of time, yes. But I see the favouritism, the same 5 girls making the money and yes they are beautiful. I'm not saying that I am, but I went in as a broke rookie with bad clothes and a bad photographer. He took my head shots from an angle equal to my chin. Of course there were no winners. That's what my crook agency had to represent me and yes most of it is my fault and I learned a lesson in modeling that day.

Freelancing I never did nudes. I did low budget fashion shows and once got paid $300 for a two hour shoot, it was for website content and it was classy. (Don't go thinking I said nudes are skanky because I dont have a strong opinion about nudes. I just don't do it.)

The pure and simple truth is that I wanted to model so I can have these pictures when I'm old. But I want to try to get in on the money, I'm aware that it's not easy. But I know it's out there to be made. There's pictures of people plastered everywhere. And if I want to be a fashion model, I'm not talking about the runway. Anyone can look like a fashionista. The girls in the clothing store photos, even the simple threads at garage...They get paid a lot of money to model.

Feb 23 13 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

You're look and stats unfortunately are really not agency caliber.
If you want to get "in on the money" as you stated, then do freelance and open the door to nudes. Simple as that.

I was looking through your portfolio and there are quite a few that I'd remove, but probably the one that stopped me in my tracks saying "WTF is that?" is this one.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120803/23/501cbfd7f2cfc_m.jpg

Feb 23 13 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have to agree about the lack of an agency look and stats.  Your options are limited but still tou can still freelance model.  You will probably only ever do this as a hobby or part time but that doesn't mean you should stop if you enjoy it.

As for your views on trade work, well they are a problem.  Don't expect amazing photographers who can shoot agency models for free to pay you or even shoot you for free.  If you are looking for that level of talented expect to pay cash money for it.

Feb 23 13 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Shannon Hardy wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone for the advice, whether it's positive or blunt. Some is encouraging and some discouraging but whatever. I take criticism well and I appreciate all the good advice. Thank you for the compliments.

Lifestyle is essentially what I had in mind. Commercial print. I already modeled as a hobby, and I percieve it as work after the few fun hours of the shoot. You get tired of it and you want to go home like everybody else. In most cases agencies are a waste of time, yes. But I see the favouritism, the same 5 girls making the money and yes they are beautiful. I'm not saying that I am, but I went in as a broke rookie with bad clothes and a bad photographer. He took my head shots from an angle equal to my chin. Of course there were no winners. That's what my crook agency had to represent me and yes most of it is my fault and I learned a lesson in modeling that day.

Freelancing I never did nudes. I did low budget fashion shows and once got paid $300 for a two hour shoot, it was for website content and it was classy. (Don't go thinking I said nudes are skanky because I dont have a strong opinion about nudes. I just don't do it.)

The pure and simple truth is that I wanted to model so I can have these pictures when I'm old. But I want to try to get in on the money, I'm aware that it's not easy. But I know it's out there to be made. There's pictures of people plastered everywhere. And if I want to be a fashion model, I'm not talking about the runway. Anyone can look like a fashionista. The girls in the clothing store photos, even the simple threads at garage...They get paid a lot of money to model.

Your portfolio is a continuum of dreadfulness that is the result of a combination of  ambition, lack of preparation, lack of practice in modellling.

When I look at model's portfolio I look for expressions, poses, and I also look deeply at the look of the model, her face. You presented bad expressions. Poses are, at best uninspired and when combined with your expressions, wow, oh wow. I can't see a model in you trying to get out.

Some people are trying to be nice and helpful by recommending photographers in your area, etc. Not a good idea until you can present a look that rocks. You need to know your angles. You need to practice and master expressions.

No serious photographer can take you seriously if you don't take this seriously.

Here's a link to elite models in Ontario: and I have started with someone who doen't have a campaign. They are hoping to book her. It may never happen. You'll see E2 and New faces section there and check that out and compare the images to what you have in your port with a critical eye. It's good to look at these models "Anyone can look like a fashionista." Do you think you can look like her, a woman who doesn't have a campaign yet:

http://www.elitemodel.com/details.aspx? … io=&indx=1

Good luck.

Feb 23 13 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Julie Nikota

Brantford, Ontario, Canada

As for help with posing, if you do hook up with a good photographer (even if you pay them), they should be able to direct you into poses if they have experience and are good at this particular work.  They should be able to look for little details such as when your hands, fingers, knees, feet or whatever look out of place.  They should know what kind of head tilt suits you best.  When they do give you directions, really listen to what they are telling you, and remember it for future reference. 

Everyone has to start somewhere.  Some models get it naturally, and other models get it over time.  Some don't get it at all.  I have had beautiful models in my studio who cannot pose unless I direct them, and I've had others in which I hardly have to say anything at all because they just know what works for them.  I've also had average looking models or just people in general who don't have experience but take my direction so well that I can get them to look fabulous using certain angles/lighting.  So, that being said, it's hard to say what you could really do until we see a great or outstanding photo of you, which you do not have in your portfolio at the moment.  Like I said before, just keep doing this as a hobby that you enjoy (without even thinking about the money aspect), and build up your portfolio, find photographers that will do you justice and find your strengths and weaknesses in posing.

Feb 23 13 03:42 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can't comment on agency work because I don't know anything about it.

If you want to make money on MM though, your best bet is to shoot nudes.
Before I started modeling nude I did a couple workshops and got paid and had a couple photographers hire me.

Now that I shoot nudes 90% of my shoots are paid.

Something to think about.
By no means am I trying to pressure you into shooting nudes, I'm just saying that the majority of the paid work on here is for nudes.

Feb 23 13 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

It's not the photos that are the issue its your look.  Your face is kinda long in the chin and it comes across in the pics regardless of the angle and thus reveals that you are of average looks.

Feb 23 13 11:23 pm Link

Model

outofcommission

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mark wrote:
It's not the photos that are the issue its your look.  Your face is kinda long in the chin and it comes across in the pics regardless of the angle and thus reveals that you are of average looks.

No, thats an error. My lips are closed but my teeth are open. Screw you I'm not ugly and, despite my self esteem issues, I've seen ugly models with bad teeth in magazines. Thats below average.

Feb 25 13 06:54 am Link

Model

outofcommission

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Here's a link to elite models in Ontario: and I have started with someone who doen't have a campaign. They are hoping to book her. It may never happen. You'll see E2 and New faces section there and check that out and compare the images to what you have in your port with a critical eye. It's good to look at these models "Anyone can look like a fashionista." Do you think you can look like her, a woman who doesn't have a campaign yet:

http://www.elitemodel.com/details.aspx? … io=&indx=1

Good luck.

maybe :')

Feb 25 13 06:55 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Shannon Hardy wrote:
No, thats an error. My lips are closed but my teeth are open. Screw you I'm not ugly and, despite my self esteem issues, I've seen ugly models with bad teeth in magazines. Thats below average.

way to get defensive... where in that post did it say you are ugly? you're not ugly, no one is saying that...

annyway: you are 5'6 and 20 years old. forget about major legitimate fashion agencies (maybe a bit of commercial local work can happen though). it's not going to happen for you, that is just the way it is. I'm not saying this to bum you out, I'm saying this so you can let go of that, and still have time and energy to make a new career in modeling, if you wanted to.

There are plenty of models here on mayhem who make decent money shooting nudes. there is defintely paying non-nude work out there, but not really on mayhem. If you want to make money here, nudes is pretty much the way to go (something to think about).

Feb 25 13 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Looking through your portfolio, I get the impression that you have a misconception of what modeling is. All too often, women(and men too) get the idea that it's just standing around looking pretty, while some person with a camera presses a button. It's a lot more than that. A lot more.

1) You don't know how to smile. Seems pretty basic, doesn't it? But in none of your photos do your photos look engaging. Not even your avatar.

2) Your poses are indicative of someone very conscious of the camera and you're very unsure of yourself. The poses show a lack of commitment to the work at hand. It's very half-assed in effort. A better photographer should have been able to direct you better, but as a professional model, he shouldn't have to.

3) Your eyes are almost expressionless. And those images that do have something to say, they're saying, "Are we done yet?". It doesn't look like you're having fun; that you're just tolerating being there.

Modeling is about expressing something through body language. It's all non-verbal communication. Every single photo in your port, are telling me to go away and look somewhere else.

Feb 25 13 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Enlightened Images

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Shannon, consider going to a talent or casting agency instead of a traditional "modeling" agency. I know people who are attractive but could never make it as a runway or fashion model due to various reasons, but have made good money doing commercial work (both tv and print). Maybe consider that route?

Feb 25 13 07:24 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

So, you've been given very valuable advice you didn't exactly want to hear, and what's the result of it?

Feb 25 13 10:31 am Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

You are young! still plenty of time to focus on college. Get good grades and a job and you will be far more successful than dreaming about work as a model.

Feb 25 13 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Shannon Hardy wrote:

Maybe it's not the modeling or the photography that's holding you back, but your attitude?

Feb 25 13 10:58 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Francisco Castro wrote:
Looking through your portfolio, I get the impression that you have a misconception of what modeling is. All too often, women(and men too) get the idea that it's just standing around looking pretty, while some person with a camera presses a button. It's a lot more than that. A lot more.

1) You don't know how to smile. Seems pretty basic, doesn't it? But in none of your photos do your photos look engaging. Not even your avatar.

2) Your poses are indicative of someone very conscious of the camera and you're very unsure of yourself. The poses show a lack of commitment to the work at hand. It's very half-assed in effort. A better photographer should have been able to direct you better, but as a professional model, he shouldn't have to.

3) Your eyes are almost expressionless. And those images that do have something to say, they're saying, "Are we done yet?". It doesn't look like you're having fun; that you're just tolerating being there.

Modeling is about expressing something through body language. It's all non-verbal communication. Every single photo in your port, are telling me to go away and look somewhere else.

+1

I don't see any modeling skill displayed in your portfolio - no ability to communicate through body language and facial expression.  You are 20 years old, not agency stats, and there's nothing WOW enough about you to overcome those facts.  Your looks alone are not going to get you time in front of a camera - you're going to have to learn to model for that.

Feb 25 13 11:46 am Link

Photographer

JaW Images

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Average Looking doesn't = Ugly...

It just means (IMO) that there isn't anything spectacular about you that would make a photographer, agent, etc, go "OMG! I need to book her!"

A lot of fashion models aren't super, duper stunning, BUT they have something unique about them, wether it's great lips, high cheekbones, interesting eyes, etc. They have something that makes them stand out. You don't really have any of those physical qualities. You're just an average, good-looking girl.

There's nothing wrong with being "average", but you will need to make sure that whoever you work with can help you REALLY stand out.  If your modeling was stronger (as in, posing, facial expressions, ability to convey emotion, etc.), then you could get Independent work based on that.

I have worked with quite a few "average"-looking and non-agency standard models and they are all amazing at what they do, so they get a lot of paid Indedpendent work.

Feb 25 13 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Snapdragon

Culver City, California, US

Shannon, I like your openness about modeling.  It's a tough world and not for the thin skinned.  You are good looking but you look like you are not having fun and it shows in your poses and facial expressions.   If you are going to shoot then have confidence, fun, and doesn't underestimate yourself.   You have no reason to, you are a good looking girl.  I think you have a little bit of a mysterious and intriguing look so I'd try doing some implied nudes as well as just playful, grinning type shots and see what happens.  Experiment with different looks till you find what works for you.

Feb 25 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

"I'm not fishing for compliments, I need advice" hummmmmmmm

Feb 25 13 09:10 pm Link

Model

outofcommission

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks guys. Sorry, I truly am defensive. My biggest flaws as a person are sensitive self esteem and emotions. The advice is what I needed. Two people can tell me the same thing, if someone's troll-ish about it I'll take it the wrong way, or perhaps how they meant to tell it.

I'm going to try for better photos. Other people (makeup artists etc) put their look on me. I haven't brought mine out yet, my own essence, makeup, clothes...style. My poses suck, the amateurism is authentic, I just moved without thinking about it, trial and error. I need practice. I need the right photographer.

Feb 26 13 12:21 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Shannon Hardy wrote:
Thanks guys. Sorry, I truly am defensive. My biggest flaws as a person are sensitive self esteem and emotions. The advice is what I needed. Two people can tell me the same thing, if someone's troll-ish about it I'll take it the wrong way, or perhaps how they meant to tell it.

I'm going to try for better photos. Other people (makeup artists etc) put their look on me. I haven't brought mine out yet, my own essence, makeup, clothes...style. My poses suck, the amateurism is authentic, I just moved without thinking about it, trial and error. I need practice. I need the right photographer.

and you need to take a breath, and have fun.

none of this is worth it if you're not enjoying yourself wink

Feb 26 13 12:22 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

John Allan wrote:
You're look and stats unfortunately are really not agency caliber.
If you want to get "in on the money" as you stated, then do freelance and open the door to nudes. Simple as that.

I would have to agree with John. With your look/height/stats, the chance that you'll get signed with a reputable commercial/fashion agency are slim to none.  You're cute/pretty, but not unique, and your facial bone structure is not one that will likely allow your look to be versatile enough for most commercial projects.  Just because you don't have the look of an agency model (very few people do) doesn't mean you're not attractive.

You stated that you're not interested in nudes, but have you considered freelance glamour/swimsuit, or maybe artistic/implied nude?  If you build a strong portfolio, I can see you being successful in any of those genres.

Also keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands of models, much better looking than you or I, (and with much better stats) who still don't get signed, or that get signed, and then get very little paid work. Try using the browse function here on MM, and do a model search for LA or NY.  You will see how many gorgeous models there are who are not signed, and probably never will be. Try to be realistic, and focus your efforts on getting photos in a genre that you're likely to succeed in.

Best of luck to you.   smile

Feb 26 13 01:02 pm Link

Model

outofcommission

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Feb 26 13 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

CBP STL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Shannon Hardy wrote:

You're asking the question but you're not listening to the answers because they are not the answers you want to hear. The sad truth is that your getting honest answers to the question that you yourself asked.

It's not the photographer's fault or the MUA's fault or the stylist's fault. A good/natural model will make even a mediocre photographer's works shine, but even a great photographer can't do much to make a mediocre model more than he/she is.

Feb 26 13 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

robert b mitchell

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Agencies will just take your money and give you really nothing. I think you need some better photographers, but as a real professional llama there are dozens way ahead of you. The reality is have some fun doing shoots, but to aspire to be a "professional llama" not much chance.
  Just my opinion.

Feb 26 13 04:01 pm Link