Forums > Model Colloquy > Am I wasting my time?

Model

Misty R H

Anaheim, California, US

First of all yes you can be a model...but with your height it would be a commercial model as there are no height and measurement requirements for a commercial model.

Will you make alot of money at...chances are no.  Can you have fun with it as a hobby on the side yes.

A commercial model isn't glamourous.  Instead of modeling clothes you may be in ad or commercials for anything from floor cleaner to aspirin or dog food.

A commercial model should take a commercial acting class.  A commercial model should have a portfolio with various lifestyle images. They need to show different looks and different expressions.

Also a major thing about how much work you can get is a commercial model is your geographic location.  If you aren't close to a city that does alot of commercial work, you will be very limited in what you can even apply for.

Feb 23 13 10:11 am Link

Model

Misty R H

Anaheim, California, US

dbl post...sorry

Feb 23 13 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Sarah Louise Gater wrote:
I can't help but wonder if I'm wasting my time trying to model and if anything is actually going to come from it. Is it a slow moving process and do I just need more patience? Or am I really just wasting my time?

a hobby is never a waste of time

Feb 23 13 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

Thank you everyone. I would do swimwear shoots and possibly lingerie, as I feel that those genres are in my comfort zone. I also agree that there are other types of modelling like hands/feet etc that I could do. But as I do enjoy seeing the photos and what I've given to a shoot I will continue looking for photographers willing to do TF. I will also take all of your advice on getting photographers attention more, giving more input and looking at portfolios that catch my eye smile you've all been very helpful!

Just a few words of advice (hopefully helpful) from an old man about doing nudes (or anything else for that matter).

I have had the chance to work with a lot of "first time" doing nudes models, some first time at all modeling. 95% were probably "out of their comfort zone, we still got some great images together!  One of my favorite models is still out of her comfort zone after shooting nudes together for at least 6-8 times but the results of the shoot are always great!!

I get the impression you appreciate the nude in art in general but just feel unsure of posing yourself?  My advice would be to find someone you trust and push yourself to give it a try with the understanding only you will see the results and everything will be erased if you don't like the results  (or try doing some self shot images)

As an old Guy there are a couple of things I have learned, that I wish I had known a long time ago.  Hopefully you might take tese into consideration, not just about modeling but life in general.

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
                             ― Neale Donald Walsch

"If you remain in your comfort zone you will not go any further".
                            –Catherine Pulsifer

"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the     things we did not do that is inconsolable"
                            --Sydney Smith

Feb 23 13 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Lee Dhepnorrarat wrote:
this is silly all these photographers quoting whether you will  be successful or not, they know about photography not modelling.  Hiring girls doesn't mean you know how they will be successful or not.

I am older and only started modelling after putting my daughter into it and being asked for mum modelling.

Since starting I have had no success with agencies and have not stopped working even if part time since I started 4 years ago.

I am size 14 and 36 years old so by no means your standard girl who would get modelling and have been knocked back by many agencies all you need is good attitude and you can succeed at anything you want to suceed at. 

All those FORCING GIRLS INTO NUDES, do so only so they can have a good look. You DON'T NEED TO DO THIS TO WORK.  Do what your comfortable.  All photographers saying she needs to do this I am talking to you.

If you want to get paid a lot or do as hobby is your choice but hobby is easy to keep going and get money here and there.

I say go for it girl, your stunning and there is definately a need for petites I have seen many jobs requiring girls petite in size.  Go for it!

Whenever my friend's mom would travel to new cities, states or countries; she always made it point to buy a small silver spoon, with the city's name on it, from one of the local gift shops.  She had cases full of them.  When she passed away, she left behind all the spoons she collected.  No one wanted them however, so they just got packed away in the garage and will probably stay there until the rest of the family moves out.

In some ways, "hobbyist" models remind me of that woman.  They won't shoot nudes; won't travel much further than their home city for a shoot; won't pay photographers for good photos; won't go to castings; won't trust the people who want to shoot with them; don't have a fashionable wardrobe and won't pay for pulls; and won't practice any sort of dynamic posing or expressions.  Instead, they typically stand there and try to pose in ways they imagine look "cute" or "fun". 

Of course, they'll shoot with just about anyone who's willing to do a TFP shoot and doesn't have any nudes in their portfolio either.  In the end though, they end up with just a bunch of simple, cliche', boring, repetitive, and ultimately forgettable pictures to fill up their portfolio.  One day they simply quit modeling, but leave their portfolio behind and never re-visit it.  They'll also leave a list of ALLLLL the photographers they shot with (most of whom will never be published in a magazine or shown in a gallery), to show, like the spoon lady, where they've been.

If that's what the OP (and others) wants to do as a "hobby", then so be it.  Everyone is free to do what they want to do on this site and pursue their own idea of art.  Will that make the OP more marketable, or get higher quality photographers interested in shooting with her?  Most likely not.  Talented photographers, in my opinion, don't want to waste their time and their vision on someone who has such narrow limits.   They want something more than a collection of people to pose for them.  They want to either create art, in the truest sense of the word, or create income by shooting a marketable image.  So NO, they're not "forcing models to pose nude". 

Some hobbyists might get lucky and get noticed by the right person.  But in my opinion most will simply fade away and go on with their real lives, while their portfolio, as with the spoon collection, collects dust in some dark corner.

Feb 23 13 10:40 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Sirensong wrote:
Actually I do
http://www.albamodel.info/petite.php

That's your source lol? A company who profits by giving advice to models? Hmm...which do you think is going to get them more business, if they put those height stats at 5'2"+? Or if they use the real, more restrictive, definition of 5'7"?

A: Arbitrarily putting 5'2"+ does nothing more than increase their potential customer base.

But I guess it has to be true if you read it on a company website.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I

Feb 23 13 11:01 am Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Misty R H wrote:
First of all yes you can be a model...but with your height it would be a commercial model as there are no height and measurement requirements for a commercial model.

Commercial modeling (commercial print/commercial film) in the mainstream does have height requirements because most commercial models who get paid work in this genre are agency models, and agencies represent tall models - because that's what appeals to most clients.

From what I've seen actually working in the commercial industry, most girls are AT LEAST 5'7".   Clients tend to like taller girls around here, even for the more 'talent' based roles, so it's even harder for girls my height to actually be cast when up against girls who are just an inch or two taller than me with similar looks and talent.

Does anyone read this site anymore???  Is it outdated???

www.newmodels.com

The typical reaction when counseling short aspiring models is that, since they can’t be a fashion model, they ought to be a commercial model. It’s pretty common to hear that “height doesn’t matter” in commercial print.  The motivation is understandable, and there is some (limited) sense behind the advice. But it’s every bit as wrong as it is right. Here’s the truth:  The criteria are different than they are for fashion, and not as firm. But height does matter in commercial print.

For the most part, very tall and very short models (for women, 5’11” and above, 5’4” and below, for men 6’3” and above, 5’8” and below) are not what the print industry is looking for. Yes, there are exceptions, and commercial agencies tend to have some models who will work in those exceptional cases. But for the most part, commercial work goes to those who are of “middle height”.  (Yes, 5’4” is close to the median in the “real world”, and 5’4” girls really are not “short”.  But the terms and criteria used here are based on the norms of the modeling industry, not “real life”.)  The average female commercial print model is 5’6 ½” tall, the average male 5’11 ½” tall.

We did an analysis of who was actually requested for commercial print work, based on thousands of castings. A great majority of the time, height was not specified, but when it was, 96% of requests were for women over 5’6” tall.  Since height is not often an explicit part of the casting request, we took a look at who actually gets hired. The sample size was a lot smaller than for requests, so it’s harder to draw firm conclusions. But based on what we have observed, we can draw some tentative conclusions:

1. Short minorities are more likely to get hired than short Caucasians. That is especially true of Asians.

2. Short older models (over 40) are much more likely to be hired than short younger ones. There is too much competition among the 5’6” and above group for a young, shorter girl to compete.

Again, this is for classic “commercial print” work, not specialties like glamour, promotional or fitness modeling, where height doesn’t seem to matter as much.

The bottom line is this:  Except for Asians, the market for young female models under 5’5” is vanishingly small, much less than 1% of the market.  With rare exception, a taller girl can do pretty much any print job; a shorter girl is limited to a very small subset.

Agencies know that, at least to a rough approximation. And that is why it is so difficult for a short model to attract the attention of a commercial print agency.

Feb 23 13 11:27 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Star wrote:

a hobby is never a waste of time

+1.

Feb 23 13 11:33 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

When a model on MM asks this question as you have asked I look at images presented on MM and also look at their website, if they have one,  to see if there is something even better there.

I like the shot you did yourself for a school project for Anorexia, where you taped your mouth and wow, what a good job. What a photo for a school project.

You might make a fine photographer. And you could encourage the dreams of petite women and then charge them, just as you may have charged for some of the shots in your portfolio.

As Emily helpfully pointed out, petite, doesn't really exist in the commercial or fashion sense. It's a myth propounded as truth by model agencies who make their living off charging their models for all the services provided.

If you want to do fashion or commercial you do have a lovely face, a nice figure, and since your probably have looked at yourself a lot, I would like to introduce you to your competition, which are a group of women who are insecure about their looks, and worry about it everyday of their short-lived careers. Some of these women you are about to see have a career expectancy of about two years.

The market is fickle. One year it looks one look, then another year some other look is hot.

Please look at their height, measurements, and then ask yourself this question: what is that I can bring to the market that they don't have? If the answer is the lack of height, well, apparently while that quality exists in some abundance it is not desired for runway and so, if it is a really just a case of being a successful hobbyist, lining up shoots, it will be easy and fun for you to achieve.

To snag attention you can do a casting where you write something catchy and understandable: "Vogue Implied." Or "Vogue on the Street."

But if you really harbour a modelling ambition underneath all the modest declarations of hobbying around, and have so disguised a bodice ripper of a model just waiting to break out, then implied/nude is a path that you'll rock.

But first here's your competiton and I'm putting 18+ because real agencies these days have models who work in a very liberal world and we will start chastely:

http://www.elitemodellondon.co.uk/detai … =0&letter=

That's from the development section of Elite London. A lot of their women in development have Eastern European names. That model has done reebok, another in development has racked a couple of clients and looks to be going big. She's done Dolce Gabbana.

Development is good to look at, on Elite. You get to see if you have anything in your portfolio that can be on the pitch with their little galleries.

I think you have an eye and can see the writing on the wall as you go through the stats, you'll see that these kind of women rule the world of fashion agencies and they snatch up work that you might think a fitness model would be line for: Reebok, but she looks so good and long-limbed that no wonder she grabbed the top spot.

I hope you look at development on Elite because it may inspire you to try and create something that really rocks for your portfolio. Good luck.

Feb 23 13 11:47 am Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
... if it is a really just a case of being a successful hobbyist, lining up shoots, it will be easy and fun for you to achieve.

To snag attention you can do a casting where you write something catchy and understandable: "Vogue Implied." Or "Vogue on the Street."

Yes! There is nothing wrong with modeling as a hobby, as many have pointed out...

When I model for work, it's mostly found in ad or catalog work, and I have developed a whole portfolio for that. 

I will never be a VS model, but I can still channel my dreams through doing VS 'inspired' shoots as a hobby, and there's plenty of photographers who will oblige with my rather vain pursuit.  It's fun, it makes me feel good, and if it's bringing positivity into life, why not do it?

Feb 23 13 11:57 am Link

Photographer

my_other_profile

Ankeny, Iowa, US

Lee Dhepnorrarat wrote:

this is silly all these photographers quoting whether you will  be successful or not, they know about photography not modelling.  Hiring girls doesn't mean you know how they will be successful or not.

I am older and only started modelling after putting my daughter into it and being asked for mum modelling.

Since starting I have had no success with agencies and have not stopped working even if part time since I started 4 years ago.

I am size 14 and 36 years old so by no means your standard girl who would get modelling and have been knocked back by many agencies all you need is good attitude and you can succeed at anything you want to suceed at. 

All those FORCING GIRLS INTO NUDES, do so only so they can have a good look. You DON'T NEED TO DO THIS TO WORK.  Do what your comfortable.  All photographers saying she needs to do this I am talking to you.

If you want to get paid a lot or do as hobby is your choice but hobby is easy to keep going and get money here and there.

I say go for it girl, your stunning and there is definately a need for petites I have seen many jobs requiring girls petite in size.  Go for it!

The engrish, you speak it?
The hobby they pay you for what you do?  Definately?

Anyway.
Yeah, OP, hang out and shoot with us!  It doesn't sound like you're looking to do more than have some fun and take some pictures...which actually confuses me a little, since you're asking whether you're wasting your time.  What is it you want to achieve that will or will not waste your time?

Feb 23 13 12:02 pm Link

Model

Sarah Louise Gater

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

LA StarShooter wrote:
When a model on MM asks this question as you have asked I look at images presented on MM and also look at their website, if they have one,  to see if there is something even better there.

I like the shot you did yourself for a school project for Anorexia, where you taped your mouth and wow, what a good job. What a photo for a school project.

You might make a fine photographer. And you could encourage the dreams of petite women and then charge them, just as you may have charged for some of the shots in your portfolio.

As Emily helpfully pointed out, petite, doesn't really exist in the commercial or fashion sense. It's a myth propounded as truth by model agencies who make their living off charging their models for all the services provided.

If you want to do fashion or commercial you do have a lovely face, a nice figure, and since your probably have looked at yourself a lot, I would like to introduce you to your competition, which are a group of women who are insecure about their looks, and worry about it everyday of their short-lived careers. Some of these women you are about to see have a career expectancy of about two years.

The market is fickle. One year it looks one look, then another year some other look is hot.

Please look at their height, measurements, and then ask yourself this question: what is that I can bring to the market that they don't have? If the answer is the lack of height, well, apparently while that quality exists in some abundance it is not desired for runway and so, if it is a really just a case of being a successful hobbyist, lining up shoots, it will be easy and fun for you to achieve.

But if you really harbour a modelling ambition underneath all the modest declarations of hobbying around, and have so disguised a bodice ripper of a model just waiting to break out, then implied/nude is a path that you'll rock.

But first here's your competiton and I'm putting 18+ because real agencies these days have models who work in a very liberal world and we will start chastely:

http://www.elitemodellondon.co.uk/detai … =0&letter=

That's from the development section of Elite London. A lot of their women in development have Eastern European names. That model has done reebok, another in development has racked a couple of clients and looks to be going big. She's done Dolce Gabbana.

Development is good to look at, on Elite. You get to see if you have anything in your portfolio that can be on the pitch with their little galleries.

I think you have an eye and can see the writing on the wall as you go through the stats, you'll see that these kind of women rule the world of fashion agencies and they snatch up work that you might think a fitness model would be line for: Reebok, but she looks so good and long-limbed that no wonder she grabbed the top spot.

I hope you look at development on Elite because it may inspire you to try and create something that really rocks for your portfolio. Good luck.

Thank you for your advice and your comment on my photography. I do have a good imagination when it comes to ideas for shoots and I actually haven't brought that to a shoot yet because I didn't feel it was my place. But now I realise that photographers want to hear models ideas aswell as their own ideas. I will definitely look on that website and keep an eye on what is the current look smile

Feb 23 13 12:04 pm Link

Model

Sarah Louise Gater

my_other_profile wrote:

Lee Dhepnorrarat wrote:
The engrish, you speak it?
The hobby they pay you for what you do?  Definately?

Anyway.
Yeah, OP, hang out and shoot with us!  It doesn't sound like you're looking to do more than have some fun and take some pictures...which actually confuses me a little, since you're asking whether you're wasting your time.  What is it you want to achieve that will or will not waste your time?

I definitely want more than some fun and to take some pictures. Modelling has been a huge dream of mine since I was little. But as I've got older and several agencies have tried to scam me I'm realising that unless I'm 5'7 + I haven't really got a shot at the dream I do have. I only say modelling as a hobby because it's clear that it cannot be anything more than that to me. After listening to people's opinions I agree that although it may only be able to be a hobby for me I can make myself noticed a lot more by making some changes smile

Feb 23 13 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I can't help but wonder if I'm wasting my time trying to model and if anything is actually going to come from it. Is it a slow moving process and do I just need more patience? Or am I really just wasting my time?

I think the confusion a lot of people are having is that you've mentioned you don't expect modeling to be anything more than a hobby and for your own enjoyment, but your original post above contradicts that.

"wasting your time, anything actually going to come from it, slow moving process/patience..."

All those terms indicate you expect some return on your modeling (what return?). You're waiting for something (we don't know what) to happen and the "process" is moving slowly (what process?)

If you're really doing it as a hobby, and only for personal enjoyment, there is no timeline to success, you're doing it because you enjoy the ride. If that's the case, there should be no expectation or end game. And if, as it sounds in your OP, you're getting frustrated that "it" isn't moving fast enough, then we (and you) have to know what that "it" is. Because what you're describing doesn't sound like you really think of it as a hobby.

Feb 23 13 12:11 pm Link

Model

Sarah Louise Gater

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

I think the confusion a lot of people are having is that you've mentioned you don't expect modeling to be anything more than a hobby and for your own enjoyment, but your original post above contradicts that.

"wasting your time, anything actually going to come from it, slow moving process/patience..."

All those terms indicate you expect some return on your modeling (what return?). You're waiting for something (we don't know what) to happen and the "process" is moving slowly (what process?)

If you're really doing it as a hobby, and only for personal enjoyment, there is no timeline to success, you're doing it because you enjoy the ride. If that's the case, there should be no expectation or end game. And if, as it sounds in your OP, you're getting frustrated that "it" isn't moving fast enough, then we (and you) have to know what that "it" is. Because what you're describing doesn't sound like you really think of it as a hobby.

Sorry yes I do understand your confusion. Although I know it can only be a hobby I want it to be a serious hobby. For example, photoshoots often. I've found that the majority of photographers that have said they really want to work with me are in the US. So I guess I'm getting really frustrated with that, apologies! As I don't live in London or a fashion capital I feel that it's limiting me even more and that it's never going to be a serious hobby in reality unless I relocate to somewhere with much more modelling opportunities.

Feb 23 13 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Sorry yes I do understand your confusion. Although I know it can only be a hobby I want it to be a serious hobby. For example, photoshoots often. I've found that the majority of photographers that have said they really want to work with me are in the US. So I guess I'm getting really frustrated with that, apologies! As I don't live in London or a fashion capital I feel that it's limiting me even more and that it's never going to be a serious hobby in reality unless I relocate to somewhere with much more llamaling opportunities.

Even if you did.....you aren't fashion height. The biggest source of frustration with llamas is when they do not understand the market and the demand, and where they fit in....as well as not being willing to do where they would be successful. Also not knowing realistically when they need to keep it a fun hobby, or make it a source of income. What is so wrong with traveling within your own region to shoot for fun with those whose work you like? Or if you do decide to visit the states, set a few shoots up while you are here, and take time to see the sights?

Feb 23 13 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Sorry yes I do understand your confusion. Although I know it can only be a hobby I want it to be a serious hobby. For example, photoshoots often. I've found that the majority of photographers that have said they really want to work with me are in the US. So I guess I'm getting really frustrated with that, apologies! As I don't live in London or a fashion capital I feel that it's limiting me even more and that it's never going to be a serious hobby in reality unless I relocate to somewhere with much more modelling opportunities.

OK, well that helps a bit. I really wanted to see if it was really a "money thing" because that's usually where frustration comes in. Many new models are in it for money (nothing wrong with that) but when it doesn't come fast enough, they get frustrated.

It sounds like you're more frustrated at your inability to book shoots (not necessarily paying gigs) with talented photographers.

Maybe that's more a marketing and exposure thing because I'd shoot with you in a second and I can't imagine if photographers in your area knew about you they wouldn't have interest.

Have you tried doing a regional search and going through the portfolios and messaging photographers directly? You haven't been on this site very long have you? (I didn't look before I started writing this but I thought I remembered you were fairly new).

Edit: OK, I see you've only been on the site for about 3 months. Take an active role and message some photographers.

Feb 23 13 12:28 pm Link

Model

Sarah Louise Gater

Jay Farrell wrote:

Even if you did.....you aren't fashion height. The biggest source of frustration with models is when they do not understand the market and the demand, and where they fit in....as well as not being willing to do where they would be successful. Also not knowing realistically when they need to keep it a fun hobby, or make it a source of income. What is so wrong with traveling within your own region to shoot for fun with those whose work you like? Or if you do decide to visit the states, set a few shoots up while you are here, and take time to see the sights?

I'm definitely planning on saving up and coming to the states for a few weeks just to do some shoots smile

Feb 23 13 12:31 pm Link

Model

Sarah Louise Gater

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

OK, well that helps a bit. I really wanted to see if it was really a "money thing" because that's usually where frustration comes in. Many new models are in it for money (nothing wrong with that) but when it doesn't come fast enough, they get frustrated.

It sounds like you're more frustrated at your inability to book shoots (not necessarily paying gigs) with talented photographers.

Maybe that's more a marketing and exposure thing because I'd shoot with you in a second and I can't imagine if photographers in your area knew about you they wouldn't have interest.

Have you tried doing a regional search and going through the portfolios and messaging photographers directly? You haven't been on this site very long have you? (I didn't look before I started writing this but I thought I remembered you were fairly new).

Edit: OK, I see you've only been on the site for about 3 months. Take an active role and message some photographers.

Yeh I was going to say anyone that thinks I'm moaning about not getting paid that's genuinely not the case. If I could do modelling full time I don't even think I'd care about how much I was getting paid because I'd be doing something that I really enjoy. When I first joined I had tons of friend requests and comments, and people that wanted to work with me which made me feel like I was going to get somewhere with it. I do understand that I need to be going after the photographers and I will smile

Feb 23 13 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

I have you listed and would shoot with you if your were closer. As a hobby travel from Stoke-on-Trent would be a bit expensive and time consuming.
As for shooting outside your comfort zone, that is purely a personal decision. I shoot nudes but never with anyone if they are not comfortable doing so.

Feb 23 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

OmnyRa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Richard Karlsen wrote:
"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the     things we did not do that is inconsolable"
                            --Sydney Smith

Is this the original/unabridged version of what I've most often heard as, "Better to regret something you did than something you didn't do"?

Feb 23 13 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

OmnyRa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

And my 2 cents to the model hopeful is to push yourself into more creative posing. I'm not sure how many shoots you've had, and it's great that you're proud to already have a portfolio shot by "one of the best" photogs in your area, but many of the pics are similar to one another.  The first comfort zone you should step out of is posing outside the box. Or, you can pose inside of a box which seems to be a very popular them here. But if you do pose in a box, do it in a way that is all your own.

Good luck cutie! :^)

Feb 23 13 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

R Fraticelli

San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico

I haven't read all the replies on this thread, but I would advice you to work on your facial expressions.  You need to be able to project different emotions according to the concept you are shooting.  Being able to project emotion is key to good modeling.  A good way to do it is to look as many photos as you can, and practice.  Here on MM is an endless supply of great images to learn from.

Also, regarding nudes you should try it at least once.  It doesn't have to be right now if you don't feel like it at this point, but sometime down the road.  Find a good photographer with whom you develop a good realtionship and whom you trust and give it a try.  You might be surprised with the results.

Feb 23 13 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

glamourglenn

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

ok, raise your right hand and repeat after me: I am a model.

there you go, you did it, you are a model.

since there is no definitive and exact definition of what is a model, there is no way to determine how to define an answer to your question.

to many models, success is defined by making a living at it. to others, it is being published. to others, it is just having people to shoot you.

you need to define your level of "success" and then you can determine if it is worth your efforts.

Feb 23 13 02:33 pm Link

Feb 23 13 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Lee Dhepnorrarat with emphasis added wrote:

I am ... by no means your standard girl who would get modelling and have been knocked back by many agencies all you need is good attitude and you can succeed at anything you want to suceed at.

Lee Dhepnorrarat's profile, with emphasis added wrote:
I am mum model doing this as a hobby ..., I am still working now

OP, be sure your definitions of success match those of the people whose advice you take. If you want to be declined by every agency and struggle at it for 4 years only to have it still be a hobby while you work a day job... then by all means listen to people who are doing the same thing.

If you want modeling to, you know, pay your bills in a meaningful way, you either need to be fantastically unique (Dean Johnson, dj qualls), or succumb to market pressures (nobody hires girls of your height, or even your height plus 4 inches, for fashion or runway; they hire girls of your height for skin or lame stuff like fit modeling), or decide that you're ok with it being a hobby and struggling for years to scratch out a few paid gigs, OR quit while you're not too far behind and find a better use for your time.

Feb 23 13 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Lee Dhepnorrarat with emphasis added wrote:

I am ... by no means your standard girl who would get modelling and have been knocked back by many agencies all you need is good attitude and you can succeed at anything you want to suceed at.

Lee Dhepnorrarat's profile, with emphasis added wrote:
I am mum model doing this as a hobby ..., I am still working now

OP, be sure your definitions of success match those of the people whose advice you take. If you want to be declined by every agency and struggle at it for 4 years only to have it still be a hobby while you work a day job... then by all means listen to people who are doing the same thing.

If you want modeling to, you know, pay your bills in a meaningful way, you either need to be fantastically unique (Dean Johnson, dj qualls), or succumb to market pressures (nobody hires girls of your height, or even your height plus 4 inches, for fashion or runway; they hire girls of your height for skin or lame stuff like fit modeling), or decide that you're ok with it being a hobby and struggling for years to scratch out a few paid gigs, OR quit while you're not too far behind and find a better use for your time.

Feb 23 13 02:57 pm Link

Model

Saedcantas

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

I've found that the majority of photographers that have said they really want to work with me are in the US...  ...I don't live in London or a fashion capital I feel that it's limiting me even more and that it's never going to be a serious hobby in reality unless I relocate to somewhere with much more modelling opportunities.

Firstly, look harder, the UK has more than enough incredible photographers smile

Secondly, work harder to make this a "serious hobby". I live in Jersey in the British channel islands, I have to get a flight to the UK before any modelling can start, take a look at my portfolio and see what's possible if you motivate yourself smile

Feb 23 13 04:19 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

why does everyone say if you really wanna be a model and make money you need to shoot nudes. That's so not true its much easier for a Photographer to find a Model to shoot TF* for nudes. It's not easy to get paid gigs even for nudes you know how many castings I see here in CO for nude Models and no pay lol.

Feb 23 13 04:23 pm Link

Model

all_names_are_taken

Ankeny, Iowa, US

Colorado Model Amber wrote:
why does everyone say if you really wanna be a model and make money you need to shoot nudes. That's so not true its much easier for a Photographer to find a Model to shoot TF* for nudes. It's not easy to get paid gigs even for nudes you know how many castings I see here in CO for nude Models and no pay lol.

1. What?

It's not easy to get paid gigs even for nudes you know how many castings I see here in CO for nude Models and no pay lol.

2. More what???
Maybe it's a regional thing?

Feb 23 13 04:25 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

all_names_are_taken wrote:

1. What?

2. More what???
Maybe it's a regional thing?

Not sure what you are confused about. I am making comments to the people stating she needs to do nudes to make it as a Model and make money.

Feb 23 13 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I'm definitely planning on saving up and coming to the states for a few weeks just to do some shoots smile

Hey Sarah!  You are not wasting time if you are enjoying it!  smile

My family saw my photography as a "waste of time" when I was a teen ... but I have been able to go places and do things that others only dream about.  Rewards and success mean different things to different people.  I'm happy doing what I do, and that is all that counts to me.  So in my opinion, you are not wasting your time if it makes you happy. 

As to all those discussing your height, the vast majority of models currently in my profile are all between 4' 11" and 5' 8" with 5' 3" being about average.  Of course I don't shoot a lot of fashion anymore.  For glamour in lingerie, and swimwear, you'll do fine!  Best wishes to you!

Feb 23 13 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Excuse me, but who is saying this?  Please "Quote" so we can discuss.  Otherwise, the most recent model I've been shooting with is 5' 3" and does not do model nude.  The next shoot we do, I'll be paying her for a bikini at the beach session when it's warm enough.

I still have not found a single person telling the OP that she absolutely has to pose nude.  Please point that out.  Thanks!

Feb 23 13 04:51 pm Link

Model

Sarah Louise Gater

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Hey Sarah!  You are not wasting time if you are enjoying it!  smile

My family saw my photography as a "waste of time" when I was a teen ... but I have been able to go places and do things that others only dream about.  Rewards and success mean different things to different people.  I'm happy doing what I do, and that is all that counts to me.  So in my opinion, you are not wasting your time if it makes you happy. 

As to all those discussing your height, the vast majority of models currently in my profile are all between 4' 11" and 5' 8" with 5' 3" being about average.  Of course I don't shoot a lot of fashion anymore.  For glamour in lingerie, and swimwear, you'll do fine!  Best wishes to you!

Thank you! big_smile

Feb 23 13 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Not sure what you are confused about. I am making comments to the people stating she needs to do nudes to make it as a Model and make money.

I do pay models not always, but I do.  Especially for swimwear, and lingerie.  Generally, I pay for nudes too.  I would pay you if you were in my geographic area!

Feb 23 13 05:00 pm Link

Model

Sarah Louise Gater

Take me to the US *sighhhhh*

Feb 23 13 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

my_other_profile

Ankeny, Iowa, US

Colorado llama Amber wrote:
Not sure what you are confused about. I am making comments to the people stating she needs to do nudes to make it as a llama and make money.

I was confused about where you decided that it's not easy to get paid gigs, among other things.

I'm not really sure what any of that quote was based on, actually.

Photographer

my_other_profile

Ankeny, Iowa, US

Doublepost, oops.

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Mask Photo wrote:

Because, after all, no one but mainstream fashion models really matters, everything else is a joke, and doing something you enjoy is pointless and stupid if you're not paid enough to make a living at it.  Right?

What a sad way to look at life.

Feb 23 13 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

LOL - bitter much? lol

Yes, that's right, I forced ALL these models into shooting nudes with me - every one!

Dayne Brooke Lynne Fredau Gestalta Vivienne Zhang Hannah Ashlea Carla Monaco Arielle D L Cassie Jade -L- Keira Grant Anna Bonnefoy Floofie Miss Raspberry Jam Pussy Willow Anita De Bauch Katy Cee Ella Darling Caperucita Roja Kayt Webster-Brown Mandy Swan  Ella Rose Tessa Tea Juchi  Madame Bink Ivory Flame DonnaB  Maja Stina  Mei Saki Salleh Sparrow Emma Franks Diana Braun NikiMarie Dasha Shipa Jessica Louise Abidde Dgmara Zielinska Dominika Wenz Sophie Allen Vicki Blatchley Tessa Chernoi Helen Diaz EmmaJ Josephine Gypsy-Curl Sam Hayles Ereka Marcelino Iveta  Niklova Jasolia  Signe Signe Vasilisa

And not only that, I forced some of them multiple times! big_smile

Sheesh!

neutral

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Forced!  lol

I don't even have to ask the models that I shoot nude to take their clothes off.  They just strip and we start shooting.

Feb 23 13 05:47 pm Link