Forums > General Industry > Is no contact # enough reason to cancel?

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

I always give a model my cell number when scheduling a shoot and ask for theirs. Almost 100% give me theirs.  There are many reasons each should have the others cell number.  A couple of times a model hasn't given me their number and after a second request and still no number I just cancel the shoot.

Mar 22 13 09:57 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

thattoriegirl wrote:
. When finally deciding on a location and time I asked the photographer for the location address (as it was his choice) and a contact number- to which he replied his wife does not like him to give out his number.

Hi,
I do a lot by email and texting however...

if I do not have a phone call or confirmation by the morning the day before the shoot I start to think about replacing that shoot as you just never know what may have come up.

If it gets to be late afternoon or early evening the day before the shoot with no final communications then I consider it a no go or a 'self-selecting' cancel by the photographer.

If we've already confirmed before the night before then all is well but, if no final word and the shoot is tomorrow then I need to hear back by phone or text.

Jen
edit:

SitronStudio wrote:
I gave my cell # to a model, and they cancelled. They said it was an out of state area code and that seemed shady. I guess they've never heard of people moving and keeping the same cell #.

She must be naive or something...I have an out of state number for a place that is not even my home...I lived there for work, (I am a nurse for my day job and travel) however at that point I decided to stop changing my number every time I moved. So I live in Alaska, have a Texas number and ask people to TF with me now from coast to coast. smile

Mar 23 13 12:57 am Link

Model

Aaliyah Love

Los Angeles, California, US

thattoriegirl wrote:
Edit: thanks everyone! Glad to know people think I made the right choice smile

After some mm messages back and forth I scheduled a TF* shoot (cast by myself) with a photographer for tomorrow afternoon. When finally deciding on a location and time I asked the photographer for the location address (as it was his choice) and a contact number- to which he replied his wife does not like him to give out his number. I found this irritating for a number of reasons:
-I think it's unprofessional to not be willing to give your contact information out (perhaps get a work #)
-It comes off sketchy
-Don't flatter yourself. I'm a professional and have ZERO interest in you

I reluctantly still confirmed but made a point of saying his wife should fear not, it was simply in case I got lost or an emergency, he did not respond. After telling my husband the story he told me he was not comfortable with me driving an hour away to the woods to meet with a photographer who's real name I didn't know nor who was willing to provide a contact number, especially when it was my casting call for a TF shoot. So I politely wrote him a messaging explaining the situation as one for my safety and hoped he'd understand as I do not mean to be a 'flake'.

Now I'll admit; I do watch A LOT of criminal minds, so I'm probably more paranoid than the average person. But am I in the wrong for calling the shoot off? Does anyone else find this strange & extremely unprofessional?

I would of done the same thing, your husband is smart. IF the photographer can't give out his real name, address and phone number, if he doesn't trust you enough with that info, then why should you trust him? Besides, it's just PRACTICAL that you have his number, in case you get lost, need directions, stuck in traffic and will be late, etc..
And then citing that his wife has jealousy issues, getting you involved in their drama...again, super unprofessional and creepy!
I'd put him on my no list and never reply to him again after that.

Mar 23 13 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Aaliyah Love wrote:

I would of done the same thing, your husband is smart. IF the photographer can't give out his real name, address and phone number, if he doesn't trust you enough with that info, then why should you trust him? Besides, it's just PRACTICAL that you have his number, in case you get lost, need directions, stuck in traffic and will be late, etc..
And then citing that his wife has jealousy issues, getting you involved in their drama...again, super unprofessional and creepy!
I'd put him on my no list and never reply to him again after that.

I agree with Aaliyah...

There is a certain level of trust you have to have in a situation or shoot like this in order to follow up on.
You have every right to cancel or back out if you feel something isn't right. The fact that so many mysteries like his real name or contact number are definite red flags in my book, you did the right thing.

Better to be safe and comfortable than sorry.

Mar 23 13 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

1)    What professional photographer is afraid to give out his phone number.
2)    What professional photographer is afraid to give out his name.
3)    Who in their right mind is going to meet someone they don’t know in the     
        woods without any contact information.

agreed!

move on to next Un Sub

Mar 23 13 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Expression Unlimited wrote:
1)    What professional photographer is afraid to give out his phone number.
2)    What professional photographer is afraid to give out his name.
3)    Who in their right mind is going to meet someone they don’t know in the     
        woods without any contact information.

agreed!

move on to next Un Sub

You watch a lot of Criminal Minds don't you? tongue

Mar 23 13 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

thattoriegirl wrote:
Edit: thanks everyone! Glad to know people think I made the right choice smile

After some mm messages back and forth I scheduled a TF* shoot (cast by myself) with a photographer for tomorrow afternoon. When finally deciding on a location and time I asked the photographer for the location address (as it was his choice) and a contact number- to which he replied his wife does not like him to give out his number. I found this irritating for a number of reasons:
-I think it's unprofessional to not be willing to give your contact information out (perhaps get a work #)
-It comes off sketchy
-Don't flatter yourself. I'm a professional and have ZERO interest in you

I reluctantly still confirmed but made a point of saying his wife should fear not, it was simply in case I got lost or an emergency, he did not respond. After telling my husband the story he told me he was not comfortable with me driving an hour away to the woods to meet with a photographer who's real name I didn't know nor who was willing to provide a contact number, especially when it was my casting call for a TF shoot. So I politely wrote him a messaging explaining the situation as one for my safety and hoped he'd understand as I do not mean to be a 'flake'.

Now I'll admit; I do watch A LOT of criminal minds, so I'm probably more paranoid than the average person. But am I in the wrong for calling the shoot off? Does anyone else find this strange & extremely unprofessional?

You did the right thing by cancelling.  His excuse about his wife not wanting him to give out his number sounds ridiculous.  It's also ridiculous that he would expect you to meet him in the woods and not supply any contact information.  Your instincts were right.

Mar 23 13 02:53 pm Link