Forums > Model Colloquy > When/Which Agency

Model

Margo Frances H

Los Angeles, California, US

I am sure its time for me to get an agency. My friends with established modeling careers have shown their agents my photos in paris and they want to see me and are seriously interested. Being from Los Angeles I don't think i suit the market here for "cali beach girls" so i figure my best bet is to save face on free jobs and get out to paris as soon as possible so i can work to my full potential. Any suggestions on agencies in los angeles that could help me segue? Any timing answers on when a good time to get an agency would be? just general questions about my modeling career and starting to make money.

Apr 04 13 09:41 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Have you seen agencies in LA yet?

I know that you don't fit the typical "LA" look, but it would be worth it to go check them out since you're already there.

edit-
Sorry, I misread.  Just send your stuff out and ask agencies when you meet with them about international placement.

They should be able to rep you there and get you jobs as well as sending you other places.

Apr 04 13 09:50 am Link

Model

Margo Frances H

yeah i have, M, Wilhemina. I don't like the look of their girls and their lack of 'pushing' girls. I am extremely motivated and want to work for a powerhouse- and i will send polarioids to any agency but as far as my time goes- it would be nice to be able to understand more about each agency

thank you! that helps.

Apr 04 13 09:52 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Margo Hamman wrote:
yeah i have, M, Wilhemina. I don't like the look of their girls and their lack of 'pushing' girls. I am extremely motivated and want to work for a powerhouse- and i will send polarioids to any agency but as far as my time goes- it would be nice to be able to understand more about each agency

thank you! that helps.

Well, I'm with M, so if you don't like the look of their girls I'm probably the wrong person to talk to. tongue

Apr 04 13 09:53 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

To answer your timing question-- every year makes a big difference.

You are 18. If it's an option, go now.

Apr 04 13 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Wilhemina has a big presence in LA, but they aren't very strong in Europe. Next, Ford, IMG and Elite are strong in Paris, so I imagine those are the ones to try first. There is no "time" that's better. Excepting the busy seasons during the fashion roll outs and catalog production times, just go in.

Major might be the smaller boutique that's more fitted to you, but they are mainly in NYC and Paris. IMG is more selective, but also good.

Apr 04 13 10:10 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Some of this might help you:
http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/mod … ngtips.pdf

LA seems pretty set on the 5'10" fashion thing now.  Rare to see many under that height and I suspect some are cutting back on their talent pool as some of their online pages seem to be shrinking rather than growing (although some still have photos of people no longer with them so go figger?  Makes them appear larger I guess.).  I suspect their actual working base of paying clients is shrinking fast too so they may be hiring less and being more picky with who they do sign.

Some of the larger ones (the one you mentioned) are grabbing talent from the smaller ones so they know their talent's track record.  How much pushing they really do is questionable in this economy, and they may 'push' only certain 'famous ones' to get more money - or the booker's favorites too.

You might have better chances with an agency away from LA, maybe San Francisco.  Or just try Paris and see how it goes, but they might be the same or worse than LA too.

Apr 04 13 10:17 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Margo Hamman wrote:
i figure my best bet is to save face on free jobs and get out to paris as soon as possible

There are a lot of girls with looks like yours in Paris and Europe in general, and most of them are taller than you.

You might be better off being the 'different one' in a less saturated market.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Apr 04 13 10:35 am Link