Forums > Critique > Tattooed Alt Model Noob - Critique Welcome :-).

Model

Sarah Stitches

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi,

I've started having a proper go at Modelling for about the last 4 weeks?

I've had various Shoots and feel that I'm learning with each one (Practice makes perfect ay? lol.)

I know I'm not everyone's taste on here but if you have constructive criticism and tips for a Beginner, that is very welcome :-).

I'm also unsure what a good Avatar would be, tips for this also?

Thanks.

Sarah.

Apr 22 13 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I would recommend a good high quality headshot for your avatar

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130327/09/5153231d51e26_m.jpg
This I would call a distracting background, would rather look just at you not the microwave

Would also suggest 1 or at most 2 photos per shoot / look

Wish you well

EDIT:

For avatar in a photographer’s case it is not as critical whether it is a full body or head shot, but for a model, a color headshot of quality will grab attention, which is why most performers have headshots to get fast attention

Apr 22 13 11:13 am Link

Model

Sarah Stitches

Thanks for the advice ^ - ^. I've cut out the Microwave now (Obvious I'm a noob lol).

Deleting photos will take me longer, I always find it hard to choose the best pics :-S.

Would you recommend a head shot over a body shot as an Avatar?

Further Critique by all is still welcome also :-).

Thanks again.

Sarah Stitches.

Apr 22 13 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Trisha May Photography

Colchester, Connecticut, US

full shots would be better for an avatar IMO I like the one you have now! It grabbed my attention right away. I'm sad that you live so far away, I would have shot you a message in a milisecond!

Apr 23 13 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

Full body for avatar is best for getting attention.

Apr 23 13 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

BittyFotos

Chicago, Illinois, US

My advice is figure out which few photos are your absolute best and measure all the others to the same standard if it doesn't meet it, ditch it. Quality over quantity.

XO Bitty

Apr 23 13 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Ditch the folders - keep two of each and that should narrow it down.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130413/12/5169b0ba94747_m.jpg I like this!!

Ditch the Heroine folder, ditch the lip tatoo folder, ditch the horror folder too...ditch the pretty in blue, ditch the misc fashion folder too...with all photos too.  That should be enough for you to narrow it down to your best and keep shooting. Those folders contain amateur shots in my opinion and don't help you at all.........

Apr 23 13 08:51 pm Link

Model

Sarah Stitches

Marin Photography wrote:
Ditch the folders - keep two of each and that should narrow it down.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130413/12/5169b0ba94747_m.jpg I like this!!

Ditch the Heroine folder, ditch the lip tatoo folder, ditch the horror folder too...ditch the pretty in blue, ditch the misc fashion folder too...with all photos too.  That should be enough for you to narrow it down to your best and keep shooting. Those folders contain amateur shots in my opinion and don't help you at all.........

I've now deleted all of them folders lol.

I've narrowed my Photos down a lot, If you could view my Portfolio again, please let me know if any Photos should be deleted etc. or if My Portfolio is now at it's current best ^ - ^. I want to have it perfect :-D. lol.

Thanks everyone for your advice :-).

Sarah.

Apr 24 13 12:05 pm Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Seattle, Washington, US

I like this as an avatar

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32299557

You definitely only want one image from each session.  The more of them there are devalues each image.  Think scarcity.

Quality is always better than quantity - you are only as good as your worst photo.

Don't be afraid to hurt people's feelings either, like you said as you get better, delete the old stuff.  smile

Apr 24 13 01:57 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

the wedding dress caught my eye.  It looks more like a whimsical take on the modern wedding?  If that was the intent ok, If it wasn't I would have expected something more alternative.

*imagine what could have been done with some fun digital artistry.

Apr 24 13 02:01 pm Link

Model

Sarah Stitches

sdgillis wrote:
the wedding dress caught my eye.  It looks more like a whimsical take on the modern wedding?  If that was the intent ok, If it wasn't I would have expected something more alternative.

*imagine what could have been done with some fun digital artistry.

These are actually pictures taken from my own Wedding, I love the style of them and I was going for a whimsical feel ^ - ^.

Apr 24 13 02:06 pm Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Hi Sarah smile

You have a lovely figure and face, and your portfolio is above average for a lot of new models on this site, so you are off to a great start smile

I would advise practicing your posing and expressions, and studying some makeup tutorials - you never know when they will come in handy.
And because you are an alt model, something extra - don't fall into the trap a lot of new alt girls do. Don't do the same ideas that everyone else has. They might look cool, but they don't look cool to the photographers who have already seen them a hundred times. Don't pigeonhole yourself in alt, because versatility is the only thing that will keep you afloat in a very tough market. Shoot some beauty, invest in some good quality wigs to add to your looks. If you are comfortable with lingerie shoot that, as tattooed alt girls have the highest earning potential in glamour alt - plus it will get you noticed. Also, network like crazy! Meet and be nice to as many industry folk as you can, especially other alt models. You never know who already s knows the people you want to know tongue

Good luck smile

Apr 24 13 02:09 pm Link

Model

Sarah Stitches

Alivia Autumn wrote:
I like this as an avatar

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32299557

You definitely only want one image from each session.  The more of them there are devalues each image.  Think scarcity.

Quality is always better than quantity - you are only as good as your worst photo.

Don't be afraid to hurt people's feelings either, like you said as you get better, delete the old stuff.  smile

Thanks, I'm still trying to cut down but I'm being very indecisive lol. I've got more Photos on their way, so hopefully they'll help me compare and cut down more :-).

Apr 24 13 02:11 pm Link

Model

Lilu Love

Portland, Oregon, US

Allthoe I really like the red hair with the wedding dress I would have loved to see another background.. I understand these were real wedding pictures. If you still have the dress I would shoot in it again as it looks very lovely on you and shows another softer side to your work.. Till then I would still keep both of them.

LOVE the shoot with the blue dress in the woods but you could delete a few..

Your main pic with the black top and pants is a true keeper! Very Kat Von D inspired!

But I would do like others stated and delete allot of the other pictures..

Apr 24 13 02:17 pm Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Seattle, Washington, US

Sarah Stitches wrote:

Thanks, I'm still trying to cut down but I'm being very indecisive lol. I've got more Photos on their way, so hopefully they'll help me compare and cut down more :-).

keep first 2 images in row 1
delete row 2
delete first 3 images on row 3
keep 3rd image on row 4
delete 1st and 3rd image on row 5.

That's just my opinion.  Some of it is your posing/technique.  Some of it is the photographers issues with lighting/angling/cropping etc.

If you keep it to a minimum of a few good photos people will spend much more time looking at each image.

Right now it's too large and over-whelming.

Apr 24 13 02:19 pm Link

Model

Sarah Stitches

Evie_Wolfe wrote:
Hi Sarah smile

You have a lovely figure and face, and your portfolio is above average for a lot of new models on this site, so you are off to a great start smile

I would advise practicing your posing and expressions, and studying some makeup tutorials - you never know when they will come in handy.
And because you are an alt model, something extra - don't fall into the trap a lot of new alt girls do. Don't do the same ideas that everyone else has. They might look cool, but they don't look cool to the photographers who have already seen them a hundred times. Don't pigeonhole yourself in alt, because versatility is the only thing that will keep you afloat in a very tough market. Shoot some beauty, invest in some good quality wigs to add to your looks. If you are comfortable with lingerie shoot that, as tattooed alt girls have the highest earning potential in glamour alt - plus it will get you noticed. Also, network like crazy! Meet and be nice to as many industry folk as you can, especially other alt models. You never know who already s knows the people you want to know tongue

Good luck smile

Thanks Evie :-D,

Really appreciate the great advice.

I've got a variety of upcoming Shoots (Boudoir, Street Portraits, Pin-up, Underwear), I'm pretty much saying yes to every Shoot that comes my way apart from nude/adult, so I can expand my Portfolio in as many areas as possible and come across as versatile.

I've got some Photos still to come that are currently being Edited (Beauty, Cosplay and Fashion).

I'm really diving in head first and hope to do well (though it is tiring but worth it I hope lol).

Thanks for the advice, I'll look up some tutorials and practice, also buy some wigs :-D. i'll follow your other advice too, always good to hear from a Professional :-3 :-).

x

Apr 24 13 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ren Murray

Salem, Oregon, US

Yeah, I agree with what some of the others have said. I think you have a fantastic look, and you are gorgeous, but I would say keep working on your poses and expressions.

I see repetition in your modeling, and I think the hallmark of an alt model should be creative poses. Learn to create angles and work your curves.

Too bad you live on the other side of the pond. I would definitely work with you.

Ren

Apr 24 13 04:11 pm Link