Forums > Model Colloquy > every mua has made me look horrible!!

Model

Jennifer Yi

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi it seems like i am the only model who is never satisfied/happy etc after having makeup done by ANY mua!!! for example, let's say it's a group shoot w/ several mua's and several models...and all the other models came out/looked good etc after they got their makeups done but i looked worse or just not pretty at all!!! could it be that i am not used to alot of/all that makeup (smokey/heavy eyes, blush, etc)...
but why does it seem that i never look good/better after getting my makeup done??????? sometimes i think/thought that they do it on purpose to make me look fugly!

May 01 13 02:54 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

What you're focusing on with other people can be different than what you focus on on yourself. Heavy makeup can dig into the smallest lines on your face, make your skin look clogged, etc, but only if you're looking very closely.

It could just be you being paranoid/ self conscious.

If it isn't that, then maybe you're offending them in some way. Do you show up clean faced/ nice/ ready to work? If so, it's probably in your head. smile

May 01 13 02:57 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

so... different mua's, on different shoots, while all the other models always end up goodlooking...

what is the common factor here?

maybe you're being too critical. Maybe the make up looks just fine and you just happen to hate it everytime. Maybe it's not them. Ever thought about that?

(PS It's not uncommon for a model to be overly critical when looking at herself. But it would be a pity if that would undermine your work as a model, making you come across as bitchy, bossy and hard to please)

May 01 13 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Oh God, she's catching on! Quick! Everybody serpentine!

Yes, it was a huge conspiracy. The rest of us were behind the grassy knoll, laughing.

May 01 13 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Are you looking in the mirror or the finished images.
It can be different, particularly with some colors/looks.
Makeup can wash out under the lights for instance.

May 01 13 03:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lindsey Sharon

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Please pardon the long wall of text!

The MUA is doing the look that will be best for the shoot.  It may be a completely different look than what you are used to, it may not be as strong or too strong for your taste.  The lighting may require that we make everything darker so it doesn't get washed out and that most likely will not look good in person, but will look amazing on film!  They aren't paying attention to what you want to look like as much as they will be to what will look best in the shoot, with your facial features and with your outfit, as well as the concept and any references for the shoot.  Any good photographer will point out makeup that isn't flattering or would ruin the shoot.  And a model looking horrible will ruin ANY shoot.

As a model, you need to trust your artist and be open to new ideas and looks you may not have tried before.  If you can't, then that isn't our fault.  If you have a concern, talk to the artist.  Ask them, nicely, why they did something a particular way and hopefully they are nice enough to explain.  People ask me all the time why I darken their eyebrows (often the lighting and flash washes eyebrows out and can make them look sparse)

This is an insulting post and I hope no artist you have worked with or will ever work with reads it.  The artists working on you would not risk their reputations just to tick off someone they most likely have no previous knowledge of.  We work way too hard for that kind of shit.  A lot of artists need those photos just as much as the model, and we need the references even more. 

The common denominator appears to be you.  I suggest taking a deep breath at these shoots and waiting to see the final images before passing judgement.  If you find you can't, then I suggest learning how to do your own makeup.  Keep in mind, the makeup you do to go outside for the day most likely will not photograph properly.  That's why the photographer brought in a MUA.

There are somethings that can cause a less experienced MUA to do makeup that isn't up to par.  Do you show up with your face clean?  No traces of eyeliner and mascara?  Moisturized?  Exfoliated?  This counts for your lips as well.  Do you drink enough water and eat properly?  Often we don't have time to do all the skin prep we would like to and if the model has not taken proper care of their skin it can react poorly with certain products.  Newer MUAs may not have the necessary products in their kit to fix these issues.

We trust the model to show up with their skin well taken care of.  It's amazing how many models seem to think that we can do anything and everything in 30 minutes or less.

Hopefully you have better experiences in your future shoots.  Best of luck!

I wanted to add that I checked out your portfolio and I think you look beautiful!  Both the makeup and your natural features.

May 01 13 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

If you're talking about a paid shoot, the MUA is being paid to satisfy the photographer or the client, not you.  Putting it as bluntly as possible, it's none of your business what you look like.  That's up to the guy that's paying the bills.

If you're talking about trade the same thing applies, but at least there is an obligation on everyone's part to at least take into consideration what you want to get out of the shoot as well as an obligation on your part to take into consideration what everyone else gets out of the shoot.  Are you having upfront discussions about your needs and goals in doing the shoot with the photographer before the shoot?  It may just be that you're doing the wrong shoots.

But if everyone else comes out looking gorgeous but you come out looking like something the cat drug in, then maybe you need to examine the common denominator (you) and try to find out what that common denominator is doing that is causing the problem.

All IMHO as always, of course.

May 01 13 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

So do your own.

Problem?

May 01 13 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

MUA (not all) will do make up according to themselves and what they know (sometimes limited in variation) and not what looks good on the sitter.

I had one MUA (qualified)  all she would do was smokey eyes because it looked good on her. Total disaster when she tried other things.

Had a very long chat about this with a very experience MUA in regards to MUA practices.

May 01 13 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

Some people don't need as much makeup as others. I doubt they do it on purpose.  That's not their job.

May 01 13 04:05 pm Link

Model

Meghan Hale

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Well you're a beautiful girl that looks better with a more natural look. So you're probably just not used to heavy make-up.

But never insult an MUA's look to their face.

May 01 13 04:12 pm Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

You look great so I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe edit your post just in case anyone near you checks this that might have wanted to work with you in the future. I think you just like how you look naturally so when they change and mold your face into something unrecognizable to you, you feel dejected. But even though you don't like the look, the photographer does or he/she would tell the mua to change it. So smile through it and think positive. >_<

Edit: Be scared/mad if I hairstylist screws with your hair. Now that's https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngat least you can wash off the make up. *shudders*

May 01 13 04:26 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

if the client is happy, then your own opinion doesnt matter. if you are being paid, your own opinion doesnt matter. you are being paid to perform and showcase their work.

May 01 13 04:48 pm Link

Model

LexLethal

I've had MUAs do makeup on me that personally I didn't like. I thought it was too heavy and didn't make me look good. I also don't wear very much makeup so dark smokey eyes can quickly make me feel a bit... eh.
... until I see the pictures and I stfu very quickly.

Have faith in the talent used for your shoots and if you really hate the way they do your makeup, do your own. Simple.

May 01 13 08:35 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

For the record, I've had MUAs do horrible makeup on me.

Sometimes they don't have the right color for my skin, or they really suck at color combinations. It looks bad in person, and then when I get the photos, it still looks horrible, and I can only use the b/w.

Still, I would NOT tell them it sucked, and I would NOT touch it or do the makeup myself. Unless I am the creative director for the shoot, that is not my job. It sucks to waste your time and not get good photos, but it isn't worth ruining your rep.

The most I'll do is suggest what might be good for the next look, or say something like, "Hey, my agency actually wants some more natural stuff for my book; do you think we could do something light for the next look?" Etc. Insult the MUA and there's a much better chance that if she does crap, it's personal.

Yes, yes, professionals shouldn't be that petty, and should do their job no matter what the model does, but guess what-- if there are multiple models and limited time, the MUA is probably going to spend more of his/her time on the pleasant people than the unpleasant ones.

May 01 13 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Bravo Magic Images

Temple City, California, US

Some times what you see in the mirror is not what your mind sees. So start to see your self as ugly and then your mind will not play any tricks on you. Its like the model who thought she looked fat on every photoshoot and would blame it on the photographers untill some one told her to belive shes fat and so she began to look skinny on her pics lol it may work.

May 01 13 08:59 pm Link

Model

Tiffany Bond

West Jordan, Utah, US

I have the same problem. When other people do my makeup, I always hate it. Even if that particular style of makeup is something I like that normally looks good on me-- I still hate it. I was the teacher's aid in our Special Effects makeup class and our cosmetology makeup class in high school (I went to a charter school geared toward film) so it's not like I don't know somewhat of what professional makeup is supposed to look like... but maybe I'm just used to doing things a certain way, so whenever someone else does it in their own style, I'm bugged by it.

Or maybe it's the same way for makeup than it is with photos. I feel like other people always choose different photos than I would. We just see ourselves differently than other people do.

May 01 13 09:21 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Yi

Meghan Hale wrote:
Well you're a beautiful girl that looks better with a more natural look. So you're probably just not used to heavy make-up.

But never insult an MUA's look to their face.

ya of course not!!! i never ever insulted/commented etc an mua's work! for example, recently i did a hair product shoot, and not just me but all the other models were like wtf? really? cuz nobody liked the mua's work! So we all ended up fixing etc our makeup...
another time, this was for a competition not a shoot...and even my friend and few other girls who were in the competition said/agreed that i looked better before the "mua" did my makeup...

May 01 13 09:40 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Yi

sasweets wrote:
You look great so I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe edit your post just in case anyone near you checks this that might have wanted to work with you in the future. I think you just like how you look naturally so when they change and mold your face into something unrecognizable to you, you feel dejected. But even though you don't like the look, the photographer does or he/she would tell the mua to change it. So smile through it and think positive. >_<

Edit: Be scared/mad if I hairstylist screws with your hair. Now that's https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngat least you can wash off the make up. *shudders*

OMG don't get me started on my hair!! idk... even when i go to those dry bars/blow out salons (where they only blowout your hair...), i always show photos of what style i want etc (most of the time big loose sexy curls; basic stuff)and the final look is nothing what i asked for/wanted!!!! ok so my hair is thick and long..does that mean my hair is uncapable of having big loose curls etc???

May 01 13 09:44 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Jennifer Yi wrote:

ya of course not!!! i never ever insulted/commented etc an mua's work! for example, recently i did a hair product shoot, and not just me but all the other models were like wtf? really? cuz nobody liked the mua's work! So we all ended up fixing etc our makeup...
another time, this was for a competition not a shoot...and even my friend and few other girls who were in the competition said/agreed that i looked better before the "mua" did my makeup...

So for a shoot you all changed your makeup?

That's not your job. And if you think that's acceptable, I wish you luck in this industry.

May 01 13 09:44 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Yi

K I C K H A M wrote:

So for a shoot you all changed your makeup?

That's not your job. And if you think that's acceptable, I wish you luck in this industry.

nooo we didn't all change our makeup completely; we just added little more color like just a little touch-up; the director etc didn't notice or mind i guess because nobody said anything and the shoot went well...~

May 01 13 09:48 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Sometimes, you might not have the best makeup artist...

Other times, you aren't looking at the makeup objectively.

Either way, if you are being paid for your time, your say does not matter... the photographer's does. It's their vision.

If you are trading, then I hope you choose a photographer whose work you can trust, so even if the makeup seems off to you, then you can at least reassure yourself that the photographer has a good eye and that s/he would notice if it's that off.

As an aside, admitting that you change your own makeup after an mua does it, noticed or not by anyone else, is probably not the most wise thing to do in public.

May 01 13 09:51 pm Link

Model

Klarrissa

I don't think they do it on purpose.
I usually always end up having issues with my eyebrows when it comes to MUA's, some knock it out of the park and then some make them look horrendous. But that's because I hate my eyebrows in general and I am super particular about how I want them filled in. But I just suck it up and let them do their job, they were hired to do my make-up, not me, I can't control everything in life ha

May 01 13 09:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lindsey Sharon

Jennifer Yi wrote:

nooo we didn't all change our makeup completely; we just added little more color like just a little touch-up; the director etc didn't notice or mind i guess because nobody said anything and the shoot went well...~

Your makeup artist noticed, guaranteed. And I promise you, she told everyone, every artist that would listen, that the models changed their makeup. This is a huge insult to artists and we all take it personally. That is not a reputation you want to have.

Lets say for arguments sake she didn't notice. You may have just given her or him better photos that don't show the work they actually do and can get them jobs they may not be ready to do.

May 01 13 10:02 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Jennifer Yi wrote:

Or you don't know that they noticed.

Making a habit of that in LA is a pretty good way to make sure people only book you once.

May 01 13 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

I usually have a MUA and hairstylist for my shoots, nobodys complained yet...and most of my models are asian. Most of the bulk of my recent shoots are  Asian pageant girls with heavy makeup.  I dunno.  I looked at her port, I'd like to see the Before and after shots. Asian eyes need a different style of look, basically its the shape and the eyelids that need the most attention. I'd like to take a shot at Jennifer and see if we can't give her the look she wants. Who knows?

May 01 13 10:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Serena Cook

Seattle, Washington, US

I was going to quote Lynz_Sharon and Rays Fine Art but that would be have a super wall of text so I won't. I'll just say that I agree with basically everything they both mentioned.

As a makeup artist, unless it's a shoot I put together myself for a really specific purpose, I'm following someone else's direction and vision. My style will be there, but the general look will likely be the result of speaking with whoever put the shoot together. If you don't like the makeup, maybe you need more clarification about the style of the shoot. As others have said, too, it's not always for you but rather the photographer or the client who hired them to do the shoot. If you're not used to a dark smokey eye, I can see why you might not be comfortable with it but if that's what the shoot calls for there's not a ton the mua can do. If it's a trade shoot, maybe talk to the photographer about doing some more natural looks first then build up to something with more impact (it's always easier to build than to do over).

The other side of this is that there are a lot of makeup artist who are really inexperienced (I'd consider myself among them, honestly) and haven't sharpened their skills enough yet. Consider doing some research about the artist you'll be working with before the shoot  to see if you think their style and skills might meet your expectations.

May 01 13 10:29 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

the lonely photographer wrote:
I usually have a MUA and hairstylist for my shoots, nobodys complained yet...and most of my models are asian. Most of the bulk of my recent shoots are  Asian pageant girls with heavy makeup.  I dunno.  I looked at her port, I'd like to see the Before and after shots. Asian eyes need a different style of look, basically its the shape and the eyelids that need the most attention. I'd like to take a shot at Jennifer and see if we can't give her the look she wants. Who knows?

I just spent three months modeling in Asia. Honestly, a lot of the MUAs have no idea what the hell to do with non-Asians there.

They generally would try to style my hair for 15-30 minutes, and then give up and do an updo. They were confused on what to do with really defined cheekbones and tried to "hide" them... A lot of the shoots I did, I didn't love the makeup. However, that's my job and ruining my rep isn't worth it.

May 01 13 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

K I C K H A M wrote:
I just spent three months modeling in Asia. Honestly, a lot of the MUAs have no idea what the hell to do with non-Asians there.

They generally would try to style my hair for 15-30 minutes, and then give up and do an updo. They were confused on what to do with really defined cheekbones and tried to "hide" them... A lot of the shoots I did, I didn't love the makeup. However, that's my job and ruining my rep isn't worth it.

There was a MM  Ben Kanarek  that posts here regularly .. he did a shoot for a high end Magazine in China,  obviously they loved the model since they printed it. The asian model looked sick and pasty to me, but its an editorial with mostly unaffordable fashions (at least to people of my ilk). If they pay you to look like Frankenstein, take the money  and run..

May 01 13 10:47 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

I have mostly Asian eyes... some makeup artists are intimidated by mine at introduction because it is neither full Asian nor full Caucasian (such declaration of the intimidation is rare, but it has happened)... Still, I have never had such a problem with my makeup that I would change it - and I am working in LA. Same location as the OP. I've also worked in Ohio and Michigan, which could be argued as having far less of an Asian population to practice on to begin with...

Maybe I'm not working with the same makeup artists as the OP..? I still work with a LOT of different artists throughout my experience of being a model.

I just feel like there's more going on and it's not just some epidemic of ineptitude shown by every mua the OP has ever worked with :S

May 01 13 10:47 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

There was a MM  Ben Kanarek  that posts here regularly .. he did a shoot for a high end Magazine in China,  obviously they loved the model since they printed it. The asian model looked sick and pasty to me, but its an editorial with mostly unaffordable fashions (at least to people of my ilk). If they pay you to look like Frankenstein, take the money  and run..

Generally they whiten all skin possible. I'm pretty pale and they whitened me for most things.

May 01 13 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

IDiivil wrote:

I have mostly Asian eyes... some makeup artists are intimidated by mine at introduction because it is neither full Asian nor full Caucasian (such declaration of the intimidation is rare, but it has happened)... Still, I have never had such a problem with my makeup that I would change it - and I am working in LA. Same location as the OP. I've also worked in Ohio and Michigan, which could be argued as having far less of an Asian population to practice on to begin with...

Maybe I'm not working with the same makeup artists as the OP..? I still work with a LOT of different artists throughout my experience of being a model.

I just feel like there's more going on and it's not just some epidemic of ineptitude shown by every mua the OP has ever worked with :S

you're one of the lucky ones, eurasian eyes, you would look beautiful either way. I work with a few MUAs  and they have difficulty  as you state, but after awhile they get the hang of it and turn out some gorgeous work.

May 01 13 10:59 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

K I C K H A M wrote:

Quoted the part in bold I am going to SUPER AGREE WITH. Yessss, exactly!!!

IMO, the makeup washes off, you don't need to add the images in your portfolio if you don't like it, and ... well, there you go. Hopefully you got paid. If you traded, there's always a risk something won't work out. If the finished images aren't good for you, maybe you can write the photographer and ask for a redo somehow.

As an aside, don't throw the makeup artist under the bridge when/if you ask for a redo - just say that you'll do your own makeup so there's less stress in getting everyone back together, etc.

~

I've had looks I wasn't particularly crazy about... y'know what I did? I washed it off before I went home, appreciated the images for the vision that was shared and achieved, and put the money away in the bank.

May 01 13 11:06 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Yi

ya!!!~

May 01 13 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Jennifer Yi wrote:
Hi it seems like i am the only model who is never satisfied/happy etc after having makeup done by ANY mua!!! for example, let's say it's a group shoot w/ several mua's and several models...and all the other models came out/looked good etc after they got their makeups done but i looked worse or just not pretty at all!!! could it be that i am not used to alot of/all that makeup (smokey/heavy eyes, blush, etc)...
but why does it seem that i never look good/better after getting my makeup done??????? sometimes i think/thought that they do it on purpose to make me look fugly!

Actually you’re not the only model who feels that way. I’ve heard this before – most recently a week or two ago in planning a trade shoot for this past weekend.

It’s difficult to know how to respond, though, without seeing you (with and without the makeup in question), the finished photos and the unretouched photos as they came out of the camera.

The model in question said she is an MUA (certified or not? I don’t know) and would prefer to do her own makeup. She redid her makeup and hair for each of three wardrobe changes.

When she came out of the dressing room the second time, I pointed out two “lines” across her forehead. (The last time I saw lines like that in a model’s forehead, they added two hours of dodge-and-burn per photo to the retouching time.) Her response was, “I know… I’m getting older.” I told her that they weren’t there when we shot the first set.

I’ve been told by two MUA’s that in most cases, especially with models who are in their 20’s and/or have good skin, the lines may not be visible in real life with or without makeup. Usually they’re caused by the model squinching up her face while the makeup is being applied – or shortly after, before the makeup sets.

Are you sure it’s the makeup – and not the retouching, for example?

I spent more than four hours retouching the first photo (my average is about three hours, but with some MUA’s it’s under an hour) and sent it to the model. The lines were long gone. She said she didn’t like the way her face looked. She had mentioned (during the shoot!) that she retouched many of the photos in her portfolio using Portrait Professional. I had spent about four hours retouching the photo.

(One reason I agreed to the shoot is that it looked from the model's portfolio that she was better than the photography and retouching in her portfolio represented her to be.)

So I spent another three hours of D&B. She still doesn’t like it. There is normal skin texture, and there is supposed to be texture. She said she prefers “that mannequin look,” and she asked if she could take a shot at it with PPro.

I haven’t responded yet. Her boyfriend dumped her in a long-distance phone call this afternoon, and any way I say no right now is going to seem brutal. She is terrific at posing and expressions, she’s a very nice person, and she’s the only model in years who took me to dinner after a shoot.

Sometimes makeup looks terrific in person but not in a photograph. In person, people are always breathing, talking, moving, looking around, changing expressions, etc. – and the face isn’t always in direct light. When a face is in motion, makeup might look really good. But when you freeze that face for 1/1,500 second, for example, it doesn’t always look that good. To get some idea what it’s going to look like in a photo, the model has to be still for several seconds in direct light.

Beyond that, I don’t know what to tell you.

May 01 13 11:10 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Camerosity, I'm not sure if it's the retouching that is the main issue since the OP claims everyone else's makeup but hers is good... or claims that everyone's makeup is bad so they changed it.

In other words, the problem is before all the selection/processing.

Although I do feel one's /acceptance/ of an image after it is fully complete can have a lot to do with their preference in editing.

May 01 13 11:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lindsey Sharon

Jennifer, may I ask what exactly it is about the makeup you've had done you dislike?

May 01 13 11:59 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Jennifer Yi wrote:

if it wasn't noticeable, then what was the point in doing it?

it's okay to not be satisfied with your make up. Make up artists are not gods, they make mistakes too, especially if they're also learning and starting out. The key is communication.

I never wait until the endproduct to check out the make up. If I see them reaching for neon yellow eyeshadow, I'll politely ask what their plan is, for the make up, make sure we're still on the same page. not in a bossy way, not in a "I'm going to tell you how to do your job" way, just open communication.

May 02 13 12:42 am Link

Model

IDiivil

Anna Adrielle wrote:
if it wasn't noticeable, then what was the point in doing it?

it's okay to not be satisfied with your make up. Make up artists are not gods, they make mistakes too, especially if they're also learning and starting out. The key is communication.

I never wait until the endproduct to check out the make up. If I see them reaching for neon yellow eyeshadow, I'll politely ask what their plan is, for the make up, make sure we're still on the same page. not in a bossy way, not in a "I'm going to tell you how to do your job" way, just open communication.

Anna, I'd like to pose question here since I respect your input on here and find you both talented and professional... and I sincerely want to know! smile No challenge meant in any way:

Do you ask the MUA what his/her plan is regardless of whether it is trade/paid work?

In regards to specifically paid work, would you communicate a different look or slight alteration to the mua? Are there any circumstances where you would most definitely not offer your input to the mua regarding the look?

May 02 13 12:47 am Link

Model

Nina Carter

London, England, United Kingdom

Mostly i find shoot make-up to be Alot heavier than real life .
So maybe that's why you think it looks bad when you look
in the mirror , but on camera it doesn't show up that way.

Also just roll with it tongue.... i don't think iv'e ever had
a make-up artist tell me what to do or complain at
me when im shooting, So i wouldn't to them even if i was not
that happy .

May 02 13 12:49 am Link