Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Cosmetology School Opinions

Model

Venessa Baez

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I'm considering cosmetology school, mostly because aside from it being something that I've always been interested in (hair mostly), it seems like a better job market than journalism, which is what I'm planning on going to college part time for.

What are your opinions? Do the numbers lie about the job market being good for hair stylists/cosmetologists? Did you go to a school and then not find work after? (Most work is probably in places like supercuts etc?)

Also, what are your opinions on big name schools (Paul Mitchell, Aveda etc), vs smaller vocational schools? Same education? Different outcome? Are you just paying extra so you can be a "name dropper"?

I'm mostly worried about putting money towards an education and not having anything to show for it. And cosmetology was always my backup plan.

Jun 06 13 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Oscar Partida

Palm Springs, California, US

Most of them are 13K a year..that's a bit overpriced in my opinion..

Maybe consider taking a Make Up workshop first..they run around 500 to 800 dlls..learn and see how much do you like it and if you are able to get clients and see how much money are you able to make..

Jun 06 13 07:23 pm Link

Model

Venessa Baez

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Oscar Partida wrote:
Most of them are 13K a year..that's a bit overprices in my opinion..

Maybe consider taking a Make Up workshop first..they run around 500 to 800 dlls..learn and see how much do you like it and if you are able to get clients and see how much money are you able to make..

I'm looking to get into cutting and coloring hair. Makeup on other people isn't really my high point.

Jun 06 13 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Venessa M Baez wrote:
I'm looking to get into cutting and coloring hair.

Venessa believe you realize most likely need to be licensed to do this… 
Please consider careful review of Florida’s State Board of Cosmetology Licensure Examination

btw, only 16% of the exam deals with aspects of makeup, facials etc. so no worries if it’s not your high point…

Might also be wise to get a copy of Milady Standard: Cosmetology

This tome is an excellent read/reference and one that you’ll be investing many hours in during your formal training… I find it to be well written and works as both a training guide and a reference book…

If you don’t already have one please consider obtaining a hair mannequin, in fact several of different lengths… I find them truly invaluable and there are compelling reasons they are a primary training tool… btw, only consider human hair mannequins not synthetic ones...

As for school to attain the necessary hours to sit for the exam?

Visit several schools, talk to the instructors and the students.
If you are of limited means then consider a Public Vocational/Tech school in your locale, they are far more cost effective than private institutions…

That said I’ve had significant experience collaborating with Paul Mitchell grads and they are up on their game and generally have good things to say about their training… I’ve actually sat in on classes at one of their local establishments and am impressed with the quality of at least this institution…  however do your homework here...

Best advice?  Find a job as a shampoo assistant, so you could see how things work in a real salon setting, before making a final decision. There is absolutely no substitute for real-time experience in a commercial setting…

hope this helps...

Jun 07 13 05:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

FlowerWildeMUA

Riverside, California, US

Hello,
I am a recent cosmetology school grad (california) I went to a smaller community college that has a stellar reputation in my area as being one of the top in the region and has been nationally recognized. I spent about 5k including tuition, kit, extras for projects etc. What I'm trying to say is the name isnt as important as what you learn while you are there and the caliber of teachers you have. All my teachers for "on the floor" are all still working in salons so you get vital info of trends and what to really expect.

About the job market, I've noticed a lot of salons have gone to booth rent, which when you are fresh out of school with no steady clientele, probably wont go well. But I assume if they like you you could work out a commision position that would lead to booth rent when you do have steady clients rolling in. One thing that was drilled into us at my school is that this is a career you will build over time and that you are essentially creating your own job.

I would say visit salons in your area and ask the stylists where they went to school. You will start to hear the same names over and over and then it will be up to you to research.

Also check your state barbering and cosmetology board for the pass and fail rates of all the schools in your area, I'm not sure if all states have to print it but I know california has an exstensive list and some of the big name schools don't fair as well as the smaller ones

Also if you are going to drop a large amount of money please visit the school first and look past the sales pitch... look if its clean, are their clients receiving services, do the students look happy or miserable

Wow this is longer than I thought it would be

I wish you the best of luck in your search and future career!

Jun 07 13 03:26 pm Link