Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Who are the top 15 retouchers in the world?

Retoucher

Mike Needham Retouching

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Jakov Markovic wrote:
And as far as style goes, anyone that would take a pimped up ride over the stock Bentley has none.

Oh Really?
https://i39.tinypic.com/2ypnqf9.jpg

Jul 08 13 05:41 pm Link

Retoucher

FKW

Yogyakarta, Yogyakarta, Indonesia

pixel dimension ilusion wrote:
cause she understand color,ilumination and shadows  and has an bag full of technieks and her d&b is of the hook

the things that you mentioned it was a basic skills "IMO"

at the next level good retoucher must have style as a signature of his work

Jul 08 13 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Gulag

Atlanta, Georgia, US

here is an interesting introduction of Inez & Vinoodh for their upcoming show at Gagosian Gallery in LA.

Working together for twenty-five years, cult photographers Inez Van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin were among the first to harness the full potential of digital manipulation to the portrayal of the human condition. Corrupting photography's "decisive moment", they imposed their aesthetic intention upon reality, drawing upon various imaginaries from the Gothic to Pop art via Surrealism. Using techniques both cutting edge and arcane, they have treated the nude, portraiture, fashion, and popular culture as well as experimental montage and assemblage. In a recent essay, Michael Bracewell defines them as potent protagonists of the post-Warhol era, infiltrating "the pristine mirror of consumer culture" precisely in order to destabilize it.

http://www.gagosian.com/artists/inez-va … dh-matadin

Jul 08 13 09:43 pm Link

Retoucher

Han Sam

Guangzhou, Guangdong, China

How about Justine Foord? Does she work as retoucher for Mert & Marcus? And now is http://glossstudio.com?

Jul 08 13 11:23 pm Link

Retoucher

Han Sam

And Jasmine Pasquill, I don't know much about him but I like his work.

Jul 08 13 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

Mike Needham Retouching wrote:

Oh Really?
https://i39.tinypic.com/2ypnqf9.jpg

Thank you for proving my point. smile

Han Sam wrote:
And Jasmine Pasquill, I don't know much about him but I like his work.

Damn! That is freakin' fabulous!

http://cargocollective.com/jasminepasqu … -COLORWORK

Jul 09 13 02:14 pm Link

Retoucher

pixel dimension ilusion

Brussels, Brussels, Belgium

is an person here named Peano

Jul 09 13 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Gulag

Atlanta, Georgia, US

+1

Jul 09 13 07:17 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

?

big_smile

Jul 10 13 03:34 am Link

Retoucher

Ovidiu Oltean

Sibiu, Sibiu, Romania

Omar Josef, Cristian Girotto, Ludovic Taillandier,Carlos Lanenga ...the list can go on and on.

Jul 10 13 05:08 am Link

Retoucher

FLEXmero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Han Sam wrote:
How about Justine Foord? Does she work as retoucher for Mert & Marcus? And now is http://glossstudio.com?

Justine is a great overall artist. She also works for Spaniard Miguel Reveriego (There with me smile https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 509dd25f10).

That's what I was trying to explain before. When it comes to photography retouching (and not CGI or digital art in general) it makes no sense to ask who the best is, because there's a level at which all of them work as good as the other and most of them won't even have a portfolio website.

I don't know who retouches for Mert and Marcus. I guess that's supposed to stay a secret, as most big photographers prefer.

Justine works at VELEM studio in NY I believe. Velem is big, it's part of http://www.milkstudios.com/, and there must be a large team of retouchers there.

Jul 10 13 06:07 am Link

Retoucher

Han Sam

FLEXmanta wrote:

Justine is a great overall artist. She also works for Spaniard Miguel Reveriego (There with me smile https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 509dd25f10).

That's what I was trying to explain before. When it comes to photography retouching (and not CGI or digital art in general) it makes no sense to ask who the best is, because there's a level at which all of them work as good as the other and most of them won't even have a portfolio website.

I don't know who retouches for Mert and Marcus. I guess that's supposed to stay a secret, as most big photographers prefer.

Justine works at VELEM studio in NY I believe. Velem is big, it's part of http://www.milkstudios.com/, and there must be a large team of retouchers there.

Thks you so much for great info, FLEXmanta. Love Miguel Reveriego too smile

Jul 11 13 12:09 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

FLEXmanta wrote:

Why?

+1
I have a way longer than 15 names list and I'm not in it smile

Jul 11 13 01:21 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

+1

Jul 11 13 03:44 pm Link

Retoucher

JBHarris

Frisco, Texas, US

it's interesting to see what people give a +1 to, i'll leave it at that

Jul 11 13 07:23 pm Link

Retoucher

Ivan Iglesias

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I personally love Natalia Taffarel and Omar Josef. Both have tremendous talent and achieve amazing results. Also, I love Natalia's personality and the way she explains her work process. She makes it sound so easy and that's something I appreciate. And Omar is from Spain (like me) and I feel like he's my very own role model. I've learned a lot from some of his videos and the way he looks at this "business" is something I really admire.

My 2 cents.

Jul 11 13 09:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Ashish Arora

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Ovidiu Oltean wrote:
Omar Josef, Cristian Girotto, Ludovic Taillandier,Carlos Lanenga ...the list can go on and on.

FYI, Ludovic moved to full time photography a while ago.

Jul 12 13 05:17 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

JBHarris wrote:

+1

Jul 12 13 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

JBHarris wrote:

+2

Jul 13 13 04:46 am Link

Photographer

Garrett Sanders

Bloomington, Illinois, US

Aren't some of the best retouchers in the world those whose work is so good that you don't realize the photo has been retouched?

Jul 13 13 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

Garrett Sanders wrote:
Aren't some of the best retouchers in the world those whose work is so good that you don't realize the photo has been retouched?

If by that you mean obvious mistakes, then yes, they are good, but so many things are fantastic because they are retouched, and anyone who is good at shooting knows when the things have been pushed, no matter how anatomically correct the final result is. Look at that freckly girl in Natalia's port for example, or Omar's Hunter and Gatti campaigns. They are true, but they are enhanced.

Jul 13 13 09:29 am Link

Retoucher

FLEXmero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Garrett Sanders wrote:

The problem is thinking that retouching is cleaning a lot of stuff and then just doing your typical cross-process. The truth is that most high end retouching is about cleaning a little and then spending hours and applying experience to achieve amazing color.

Cleanup is supposed to be unnoticeable (even if it's well done, as in, smooth skin sucks). Color is supposed to give you goosebumps, but not all projects deserve or are compatible with the best color work you can do.

Jul 13 13 10:56 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Just for fun . . .

Just for fun, suppose the question had been, "Who are the top 15 musicians in the world?," qualified as to "art and technic" (presumably meaning "technique").

Who could possibly answer such a question, floating as it is in a void destitute of context -- with no hint of whether the musicians were instrumentalists, vocalists, composers, or arrangers? With no suggestion of genre -- country, folk, classical, jazz, pop, modern, Latin, contemporary, etc., to say nothing of the dozens of sub-genres cutting across all those categories.

Jul 13 13 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Peano wrote:
Just for fun . . .

Just for fun, suppose the question had been, "Who are the top 15 musicians in the world?," qualified as to "art and technic" (presumably meaning "technique").

Who could possibly answer such a question, floating as it is in a void destitute of context -- with no hint of whether the musicians were instrumentalists, vocalists, composers, or arrangers? With no suggestion of genre -- country, folk, classical, jazz, pop, modern, Latin, contemporary, etc., to say nothing of the dozens of sub-genres cutting across all those categories.

Good point. Plus, musicians tend to perform in public, not in cubicles or the spare room in their houses.

Just for the sake of argument, who is better? Keith Richards or Yo Yo Ma? Both play stringed instruments.

Jul 13 13 11:26 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Jul 14 13 02:21 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Camerosity wrote:
Just for the sake of argument, who is better? Keith Richards or Yo Yo Ma? Both play stringed instruments.

Dimebag Darrell...R.I.P

Jul 14 13 03:55 am Link

Retoucher

FLEXmero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Peano wrote:
Just for fun . . .

Most of the times, photography retouching is not an art, it's a recipe. Once you get the recipe (which not about someone telling it to you but about years of discovery), you pretty much retouch as well as the next guy. My biggest client once sent images to BOX to have them retouched. He told me afterwards that there was no difference in what they did to what I would have done, other than a several times larger rate.

Digital art is a whole different concept. You can't ask who the best retoucher is, because we're all people who apply the recipes. You could certainly ask about people's favourite digital artists though. In that case, the answer would be as complex, if not impossible, as definind what the best song is.

During the learning process, beginner retouchers tend to idolize the wrong people. Dammit, too many people idolize me! You should see my facebook inbox... Makes no sense! I'm just them in 5 more years and with a bit of luck in finding clients. Most high end retouchers are the same! Just normal guys, some with no special talent, who have had a little more time to practice and have learned from the right references. Photography retouching is nothing to idolize someone about. Once you learn and get established, you realize that the people you wrongly idolized earlier, are just colleagues.

Jul 14 13 03:55 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Luckily I idolized Dali and Giger only tongue

Jul 14 13 04:26 am Link

Retoucher

Han Sam

FLEXmanta wrote:
I'm just them in 5 more years and with a bit of luck in finding clients. Most high end retouchers are the same! Just normal guys, some with no special talent, who have had a little more time to practice and have learned from the right references. Photography retouching is nothing to idolize someone about. Once you learn and get established, you realize that the people you wrongly idolized earlier, are just colleagues.

smile

Jul 15 13 12:43 am Link

Retoucher

FKW

Yogyakarta, Yogyakarta, Indonesia

FLEXmanta wrote:
Dammit, too many people idolize me!

ha ha
sounds like you do not like to be idolized

beginners like me need to find and admire the work of others to improve my tastes, if I did not do it maybe today I still admire blurry skin and apply to every my work.
This time I idolize you maybe next year I idolize everyone else who have not found at this time and try to achieve their level smile

Jul 15 13 05:53 am Link