Forums > Photography Talk > How many chances...

Photographer

Mark Lipton

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

How many chances do you give a model if she/he cancels and repeatedly re-schedules on you? Say in a one month period.

Granted, I am not a professional photographer. But, for that reason, I work mostly on a TF* basis.

Lets face it... "shit happens" and sometimes either the model or the photographer will need to re-schedule a shoot. But, how many times is "too many"? 2... 3... 5...

What do you think?

Jul 12 13 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

Mark Lipton wrote:
How many chances do you give a model if she/he cancels and repeatedly re-schedules on you? Say in a one month period.

Granted, I am not a professional photographer. But, for that reason, I work mostly on a TF* basis.

Lets face it... "shit happens" and sometimes either the model or the photographer will need to re-schedule a shoot. But, how many times is "too many"? 2... 3... 5...

What do you think?

I know that stuff happens, If the model calls me and let's me know that she has an emergency and can not make it, Even at the least minute, I will almost always reschedule and give a second chance.

If the model is a no show, without any type of contact prior or even within 12 hours after the shoot was to happen. That's it, no second change.

The most I have ever given a model was a 3rd chance. 1st time she called about 6 days prior to the shoot, with a death in the family, and had to go out of town. We rescheduled, Second time she called the day before the shoot, saying that she had the flu, and sounded really bad, she even offer to meet me to see she was not making it up. I did believe her. We rescheduled for a 3rd time, and the shoot did happen.

I guess it all depends, on the reason, and how believable the reason is. NO SHOW< NO CONTACT..... NO SECOND CHANCE.....

Jul 12 13 09:48 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

Gainesville, Florida, US

I want to say one, but that seems maybe too harsh. I guess if her reason seems legit then 2 at most.

Jul 12 13 09:50 pm Link

Model

allison mindy

Gainesville, Florida, US

RenatoJr - RJ wrote:
NO SHOW< NO CONTACT..... NO SECOND CHANCE.....

Hopefully this goes without saying.

Jul 12 13 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Mark Lipton wrote:

Flake or cancel with very little notice..  Next model

Mark Lipton wrote:

What does that have to do with anything.   Your time is still being wasted.

Jul 12 13 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

DarrylPascoePhotography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I believe that sometimes things happen beyond a persons control, however if it truly is a no show with no contact, then that is the only shot they get to work with me period without one heck of an excuse that I can believe. If there is contact not just a flake situation a second chance and after that I would not bother with a third. I take what I do serious enough to really only want to work with those who are also serious about what they do in this context.

My time and the time of my team including the model is valuable to me, and everyone is to be treated with respect. It is a lack of respect to keep cancelling (unless there is very very good reason) once a commitment has been made. I am a very firm believer if you cannot keep a commitment you have made 100% (unless again serious reason you cannot) do not make it in the first place.

Jul 12 13 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

New Art Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

-- One reschedule. Even a single shoot is a relationship of sorts-- or I feel it is:
How can you take good photos if the person has been jerking you around?
( But then, I'm an emotional photographer.)

Jul 12 13 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've had a couple models who were scheduled for saturday but on saturday asked if we could postpone until sunday. generally it worked out and we shot on sunday. but if they had cancelled for sunday as well i'd probably have moved on. so i guess i give them one chance but not if they are a complete no-call, no-show.

Jul 12 13 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Liquid Lace Studios

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

I've had the same thing happen, and it was just for a fitting, gave the model a second chance and she didn't show again.

Done & Dusted !

Jul 12 13 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Mark Lipton wrote:

What do you think?

how beautiful do you find them?

Jul 12 13 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Once or twice, if the reschedule / cancel seems legit. I've had an agency model "cancel / to resched at a later date" due to her agency sending her out of town. She's in high demand, and I didn't book through her booker. I called the booker and said I wanted to shoot the following weekend, the booker made sure she stayed in town.

If it sounds legit, gives warning, sure, I'll try again later.

No call, no show. Fuck that. Nope. Not going to happen. Unless you bring cookies and it's a nude shoot for one of my projects (previous flake applied to one of my gallery projects, I agreed if she brought cookies to apologize. It went well)

Jul 12 13 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I give models as many chances as they need.
I have had terrific results come from shoots that were postponed, started late, happened months after first contact, etc.

At the same time, I don't go out of my way to make a shoot happen under these circumstances... but I never write-off a model completely.

Jul 12 13 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't really care. Bit of a let down but oh well smile

Jul 12 13 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Flake = about a 99.99% chance of no reschedule. It just seems disrespectful.

It really depends how much I want to work with the model. It depends on the timing and reason given. 3 or 4 days notice and a plausible reason to reschedule-- yeah, once.

Not likely to reschedule a second time for a new model, regardless of timing or reason... For somebody I know-- I am generally pretty flexible, as long as there is good communication.

I can afford to be as strict or as relaxed about it as I choose because I am a hobbyist-- If it were a business I would most likely have to do things differently.

Jul 13 13 12:40 am Link

Photographer

DASH Photos

New York, New York, US

Mark Lipton wrote:

What do you think?

Things do happen so I give models 1 chance to make it up
But you should always be fair but firm

TF - I give them one chance to give it make up the shoot if I still need models but don't give anything more then that..

After that most would just take advantage that.
after a model cancels for the second time I tell them
"Let me know when you are completely available to shoot"

Paid shoots- I always ask model for a deposit as soon as the shoot is booked.
if they cancel (or don't show up) and still want to shoot, I will tell them if they would have to send the remaining balance when we agree on a new date.
After that start the process over

Jul 13 13 01:35 am Link

Photographer

D-Light

Newcastle, Limerick, Ireland

It would all depend on why and how much notice she gave me. If she has shown consideration, I'll return the favour and reschedule.

For example, if she asks to reschedule four or more days before, with a good reason and it's TFP, I'll reschedule. If she cancels the day before, because she has spots, no reschedule.

No show, no contact and I'll never even contact her again.

Jul 13 13 03:10 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

As long as I'm not out of pocket and she gives plenty of notice - eg. at least a week - then I'll probably be happy to reschedule... once!

Any more than once though and I start to get the feeling that maybe I really shouldn't bother.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jul 13 13 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

L A U B E N H E I M E R wrote:

how beautiful do you find them?

Conundrum... tut tut tut, flip side !

Jul 13 13 06:45 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

3rd strike is out...

Jul 13 13 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Varton

New York, New York, US

Mark Lipton wrote:

What do you think?

I only reschedule once more if I contacted the model first. In any other case I wouldn't be interested in working with the same model TF basis unless I am paid a refundable deposit in advance.

Jul 13 13 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

If she postpones (explicitly asks for a reshoot) with ample notice, one reschedule.

If she cancels (doesn't ask to reshoot) with ample notice, she gets one reschedule if she later asks for one. I won't chase.

If the postponement or cancellation is last-minute, it depends on the model, my mood, and the phase of the moon if I'll reschedule.

If she's a no-call/no-show, she goes on the permanent blacklist.

If the excuse is a ridiculous one and she's wasted enough of my time, I count it as a no-call/no-show.
- "I forgot today was my nephew's birthday" (the nephew for whom she was the party's organizer, and told me that in advance several times)
- "I forgot I work on Saturdays"
- "Wait, that shoot was today?"

Jul 13 13 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Daeda1us

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
If she postpones (explicitly asks for a reshoot) with ample notice, one reschedule.

If she cancels (doesn't ask to reshoot) with ample notice, she gets one reschedule if she later asks for one. I won't chase.

If the postponement or cancellation is last-minute, it depends on the model, my mood, and the phase of the moon if I'll reschedule.

If she's a no-call/no-show, she goes on the permanent blacklist.

Yeah, think I have to agree with this 100%.

Jul 13 13 09:55 am Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

I will reschedule once as long as there is no finanacial investment on my part in the shoot.

Jul 13 13 09:58 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

1 This is not like a baseball game were you get 3 strikes

Jul 13 13 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Trisha May Photography

Colchester, Connecticut, US

I've had models try to reschedule only never to contact me again until months later saying that they're still interested.

I've had models try to control when and where the shoot will be even after not e-mailing me back for weeks at a time (and changing the date three times).

I can pretty much smell a flake now from miles away now. They all also have said this line "Can we reschedule?"

All of the models I've worked with had wonderful communication, sent me texts and photos of outfits they wanted my opinion on ectect. All of them sent me texts saying "I'm on my way!". Those are the only people who I will work with.

Jul 13 13 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Mark Lipton

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Thank you all for you're input. I appreciate it. smile

Jul 13 13 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

zaxpix

New Brunswick, New Jersey, US

Mark Lipton wrote:
How many chances do you give a model if she/he cancels and repeatedly re-schedules on you? Say in a one month period...

... What do you think?

Shit definitely happens.

I often give the them the benefit of the doubt if they message or call in advance.

I have a model who I love working with, but getting her here takes several reschedules per shoot. There are others who, like her, I've worked with on multiple occasions, but they all have trouble keeping an appointment.

Everyone is different and it's your call as to whether it's worth it or not to you.

Flakes? (no call? no message?) No. Screw 'em. to the block list they go.

BTW; Always have a Plan B.

Z.

Jul 13 13 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Jul 13 13 04:51 pm Link

Model

FlyGirlKR

Maple Creek, Saskatchewan, Canada

Jul 13 13 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Bephoto

Buffalo, Texas, US

Less that 3 days before a shoot, 0 to 1, depending on the reason/excuse.

Jul 13 13 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Grupp

Santa Monica, California, US

After once, or twice at most, the only way I would reschedule would be with a non-refundable deposit up front (to be returned at the shoot if it's TF*).

Jul 13 13 08:07 pm Link