Forums > Photography Talk > Using Non-traditonal Camera

Photographer

Paul Grofton

New Port Richey, Florida, US

I like to play around with cameras other than digital to get different images, but I see some models have restrictions saying no GWC (Amateur status). This is my hobby, not my career. How would you explain to a model that while you do have a digital camera, you will be using a camera you bought from Goodwill for $1, because it creates the more detailed shadow effects that you want for a black and white picture? Or you would be using a pinhole camera for a desired effect?

Jul 13 13 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Paul Grofton wrote:
I like to play around with cameras other than digital to get different images, but I see some models have restrictions saying no GWC (Amateur status). This is my hobby, not my career. How would you explain to a model that while you do have a digital camera, you will be using a camera you bought from Goodwill for $1, because it creates the more detailed shadow effects that you want for a black and white picture? Or you would be using a pinhole camera for a desired effect?

if your photos are good then there is nothing that needs explaining.

would i question martin schoeller if he wanted to take my picture?

Jul 13 13 11:43 am Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Los Angeles, California, US

Paul Grofton wrote:
some models have restrictions saying no GWC (Amateur status)

GWC does not mean 'amateur status.'

It means someone for whom nude photography is about the nudity, not the photography.

Jul 13 13 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Mcary

Fredericksburg, Virginia, US

Paul Grofton wrote:

JMO but if you're looking to do trade with models  I'd recommend doing part of each shoot with your digital and the rest with your film camera(s) especially if you're planning on using a pinhole camera due to their some what unpredictable nature.

Jul 13 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Paul Grofton wrote:

I don't see any problem trying out a camera other than my main one for a few test shots.  But I would never do the whole shooting with it unless I was paying the model.

Jul 13 13 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Shoot trade.  Half the session is dedicated to producing images they want/need, half the session is dedicated to producing images you want/need.  As long as you deliver the images you agree to, what camera you use is not the model's concern.

Jul 13 13 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Personally I get a better response to castings when I say I will be shooting only film in a 100 year old box camera.

Other shoots I just pull the film camera out of the bag after the digitals are done and say "now how about some on film". Just be ready to explain what film is to some models... smile

Jul 13 13 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Art is like comedy:  if you have to explain it, and seek approval, then you're not doing it right.

Sometimes the fault is yours:  lots of people use funky old cameras because they see it as a shortcut to being a real artist.  And often, it's because people just "don't get it," and you need to be around different people.

So just go for it, and don't sweat the results ... it is what it is, right?  Make the pictures YOU want to make, and if other people don't like it, then fuck 'em.  But just remember, in the back of your head, that if it seems like an awful lot of people aren't getting it, then maybe it's not them wink

Jul 13 13 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

What's wrong with just shooting film?  Some of the reponses so far are infering that your pinhole or goodwill purchased camera won't turn out good usable photos.  Don't listen to that type of attitude.  Just explain to the model ahead of time that this is a film shoot and while your film camera(s) may not look exotic, you can obtain a different character and look to your film images than modern day digital cameras can.  You shouldn't have to explain it any different from that.

Jul 13 13 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

de0rbit wrote:

GWC does not mean 'amateur status.'

It means someone for whom nude photography is about the nudity, not the photography.

... same thing tongue

If ones images are of good quality technically and artistically and this photographer chooses their tools for it's particular image quality characteristics, they should not have to explain to the model why such cameras are being used.
Any model worth their weight in gold does not question or request the tools a photographer uses, unless she is willing to pay a hefty rate for such demands.

I have seen some stunning art shot with a $20 Holga that outshine 95% of the latest and greatest DSLR shot crap I see here on MM.
Those who use a mix bag of tools tend to be more proficient in the art of image creation and have a greater understanding of "photography".
It seams those models are the "amateurs" in this case and are better left alone to their ignorance.

Jul 13 13 10:56 pm Link