Forums > Critique > Would like some feedback

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Did a little experimentation outdoors and I'd love some feedback on the first 3 images in my port Some 18 +

Jul 14 13 07:17 am Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Aaron Lewis Photography wrote:
Did a little experimentation outdoors and I'd love some feedback on the first 3 images in my port Some 18 +

The lighting in the first sucks (sucks being a technical term suggesting the feel of a clumsily applied on camera flash) and you cocked the camera at an odd angle.
The second I find the forward tilt of the image uncomfortable.
The third still with the tilt (albeit less obvious)... what are you shooting for, what was gained by including the models nipples in the shot? Why the lack of post processing, what did you intend by neither accentuating her age nor mollifying it in PS?

Jul 14 13 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Surreal Focus

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I like her smile in the second one.  It gives it a nice relaxed feel that goes with the outdoor setting and late evening light.  Could have been stronger perhaps if she was looking at you.

The other two don't work for me.  IN both the model seems completely disconnected from you.  And I don't get the contemplative, emotive off-camera glance that perhaps you were aiming for  The first one uses a tilt that I really do not see enhancing the image in any way and given the strong horizon line it just looks awkward.  The third one seems like a really odd choice of framing at the bottom - not balanced IMO, especially with her arms posed like that.  And it looked like you had some spectacular light to work with there, but unfortunately her back is turned to it.

Jul 14 13 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

where to begin.... color cast issues, framing, poses...etc..etc. My best suggestion would be to find a couple local workshops in your area to work on shooting people with experienced photographers there to guide you. good luck

Jul 14 13 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Wow and this is why we ask.

There was no on camera flash. There was a flash off to the left side but I see what you're referring too. I was actually wondering how that even happened.

The intent was to use the sun as a highlight / kicker and fill front with an off camera flash. It sounds like I would have been better off using the sun as a key and filling with a reflector.

I don't do a lot of retouching to my images. They're mostly natural. I don't believe every model should have perfectly smooth skin and look all pasty. However, that being said, I usually do do some correction with this particular model. I chose not to on these because of the naturalistic elements.

Ok I still suck, back to square 1

Jul 15 13 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

OK I fixed some of the tilt issues. It looked like a good idea at the time. I also made some additional notes above.

Jul 16 13 03:50 am Link