Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > When to get the payment?

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

ST Retouch wrote:
I am not here to sell any CD or tutorial , or to make self promotions with hope of finding some clients, I have them a lot.

ST

If what you said is true, then I'm very curious why this is plastered all over your MM profile page...

https://www.robert-randall.com/MM/st.jpg

Sep 03 13 06:46 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

ST Retouch wrote:
- when you start to receive more and more clients then is time to ask for deposit .
- remember one thing, with asking of deposit you will be and you will look like a serious retoucher.

We can agree to disagree smile

Sep 03 13 06:48 pm Link

Retoucher

ST Retouch

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Robert Randall wrote:

If what you said is true, then I'm very curious why this is plastered all over your MM profile page...

https://www.robert-randall.com/MM/st.jpg

Robert,
I have never posted in my life that on forum , this is my profile page.
Sorry I don't use never forum for these thing.

Best

Sep 03 13 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

ST Retouch wrote:
Robert,
I have never posted in my life that on forum , this is my profile page.
Sorry I don't use never forum for these thing.

Best

But, just like the rest of the DVD crowd, you're using MM as a breeding ground for your business. How is it that someone who owns a 700 square meter power house production facility has the time to spend 4 days tutoring hobbyist photographers at a paltry $750.00 per day?

I don't care that you market yourself the same as Natalia or that Serbian guy, but why all the posturing about how much better you are because you don't do it in the forums? I think we would all benefit from a bit less BS, and a bit more candid revelation. Really, who cares how many thousands of files you rotate through your studio, it's what you have to offer in terms of help that matters.

Sep 03 13 07:03 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Robert Randall wrote:

But, just like the rest of the DVD crowd, you're using MM as a breeding ground for your business. How is it that someone who owns a 700 square meter power house production facility has the time to spend 4 days tutoring hobbyist photographers at a paltry $750.00 per day?

I don't care that you market yourself the same as Natalia or that Serbian guy, but why all the posturing about how much better you are because you don't do it in the forums? I think we would all benefit from a bit less BS, and a bit more candid revelation. Really, who cares how many thousands of files you rotate through your studio, it's what you have to offer in terms of help that matters.

I lile the no BS. Idea smile

Sep 03 13 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Inner Vision Images

Sacramento, California, US

I outsource 100% of my Photoshop retouching.  If I can't complete it in Lightroom, I send it to a retoucher.

I've used the same one for 3 years.  He bills my credit card at the end of the month for all the work done that month.  Simple for me, simple for him.

Sep 03 13 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Robert Randall wrote:
But, just like the rest of the DVD crowd, you're using MM as a breeding ground for your business.

As does Natalia.... nothing wrong with that. Not forgetting workshops.

There's also a lot of cross lines on this forum in regards to deposits; if your working for a established mag/publication or design/adv agency then there is no deposit, not that I know of maybe times have changed.
Correct me if I'm wrong but by law an agency (UK) can hold onto your money for 9 months, this was practised by one of the larger agencys in the UK.

If it's some client that is a first timer and you are unsure then by all means ask for a deposit.

But in both cases get a art/buying/purchase order.

Sep 04 13 02:50 am Link

Retoucher

Kristiana-Retouch

Rīga, Rīga, Latvia

The more I read about this in forums the more I believe there is no worldwide industry standard.
Business is business.
And I see nothing wrong with asking 50 -100% advance payment. Will you receive one depends on who you are working with. But it definitely should not offend anyone.
Key word is - communication - between you and client.

Sep 04 13 04:27 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
As does Natalia.... nothing wrong with that. Not forgetting workshops.

Really? No.

Sep 04 13 05:38 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Sep 04 13 05:40 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

still... no

Sep 04 13 06:25 am Link

Digital Artist

RixDigital

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

I really don't understand why some individuals are taking "it's this way or the highway" stance.  Why all the quibble over "market" and "industry"?

In a perfect world, everyone could trust everyone.  But realistically, things don't work that way.

At the end-of-the-day, all that matters is a meeting of the minds.  If a retoucher has a set of procedures they follow (e.g. 50% up-front), and whomever hires them agrees with said procedure, all is well.

Sep 04 13 06:50 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

RixDigital wrote:
I really don't understand why some individuals are taking "it's this way or the highway" stance.  Why all the quibble over "market" and "industry"?

In a perfect world, everyone could trust everyone.  But realistically, things don't work that way.

At the end-of-the-day, all that matters is a meeting of the minds.  If a retoucher has a set of procedures they follow (e.g. 50% up-front), and whomever hires them agrees with said procedure, all is well.

Never said "it's this way or the highway" about the 50% - the debate was about common procedures and we got to an agreement... there's no common smile

"it's this way or the highway" about the watermark tho... that one is just an advice

Sep 04 13 06:57 am Link