Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > 3 questions! Two simple, one potentially awkward!

Model

Anita De Bauch

Glastonbury, England, United Kingdom

3 questions!

1. What do you think my portfolio needs more/ less of?
2. Do you think I should upgrade and have more pictures in there? (My full portfolio is here, to give you an idea: http://anitadebauch.com/site/galleries)
3. Now I know this is a tough question to answer, but please try: what would you change about my look, if you had a magic wand? Could be something as small as "longer hair" or as impossible as "two feet taller, bigger bum and more Chinese." I'm just interested to know smile

Many thanks!

Sep 01 13 01:15 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Anita De Bauch wrote:
3 questions!

1. What do you think my portfolio needs more/ less of?
2. Do you think I should upgrade and have more pictures in there? (My full portfolio is here, to give you an idea: http://anitadebauch.com/site/galleries)
3. Now I know this is a tough question to answer, but please try: what would you change about my look, if you had a magic wand? Could be something as small as "longer hair" or as impossible as "two feet taller, bigger bum and more Chinese." I'm just interested to know smile

Many thanks!

1. More of MY photos, obviously wink

But seriously, maybe the Beyond Burlesque wedding dress image from your bridal gallery, the black Jane Doe dress from your fashion gallery, the Clint Scerri-Harkins image from your art nudes gallery, the B&W Kaori's Latex image from your latex gallery...

Overall your portfolio here displays an excellent range and diversity with some truly stunning images. The sheer depth and quality may be a little overwhelming for newer or hobbyist photographers though, so maybe a more prominent link to your blog where you show a wider selection of images from paid shoots would help to reassure them that you really are happy to work with photographers of all levels.

2. I don't think you really need more images here. 30 is plenty, especially as you have links to your website and Facebook etc. on your profile for those who want to see more.

3. You're already pretty close to perfect as you are, but personally I tend to feel that a model can never have too much hair so... if anything... longer hair!!

Oh, and living closer to me too, of course wink

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Sep 01 13 03:47 am Link

Model

Anita De Bauch

Thanks Stefano!

I'm growing my hair and will follow your advice re: adding images to my MM portfolio when I'm home and have access to my laptop smile

Sep 01 13 04:05 am Link

Photographer

Paul Grupp

Santa Monica, California, US

I agree 100% with Stefano...and I would add that pictures 3 and 4 don't really add anything and actually dilute from your portfolio because you are just too small in them to see you with any detail.

Sep 01 13 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Tim Pile

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

That Italian Guy wrote:
The sheer depth and quality may be a little overwhelming for newer or hobbyist photographers though, so maybe a more prominent link to your blog where you show a wider selection of images from paid shoots would help to reassure them that you really are happy to work with photographers of all levels.

You have a superb portfolio, but as Stefano suggest maybe a little too superb for hobbyists who are often already lacking in confidence, even though you do say in your profile notes how much you enjoy working with them.
So maybe more pointers towards images you have produced with less experienced photographers.

And as Paul has pointed out images 3 and 4 are really showcasing the photographer, not you.

Overall though I don't think much needs changing, and I look forward to the time I finally get around to booking you smile

Sep 01 13 05:45 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I am only going to comment on question three, if you don't mind.  Natural red heads, being a very small percentage of the population of assists that most of the population can't even mimic.  Dying hair red doesn't accomplish fair skin, and light eyebrows.  So many red heads are shot in black and white, I understand why, but, still, why?  Redheads, being rare, are treasured by men all over the world, who can never hope to date one, or another one.  I would suggest that you accent your hair.  Don't cut it, color it, or shave it off.  Show the world you are a natural redhead and that you have the terrific coloring that goes with your red hair.

Sep 01 13 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

1 As noted you really don't need any images in which you are not main subject. You could easily get away with one less image of you running- both are cool but two just seems like overkill.
2 I see no reason for more than 30 images on this site. You could handily show your depth with 15-20. Link to an outside site for anything that won't fit here.
3 I would make you just very slightly smaller breasted and just a wee bit more muscular or rather a touch more toned.

Sep 01 13 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

TA Craft Photography

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

That Italian Guy wrote:

1. More of MY photos, obviously wink

But seriously, maybe the Beyond Burlesque wedding dress image from your bridal gallery, the black Jane Doe dress from your fashion gallery, the Clint Scerri-Harkins image from your art nudes gallery, the B&W Kaori's Latex image from your latex gallery...

Overall your portfolio here displays an excellent range and diversity with some truly stunning images. The sheer depth and quality may be a little overwhelming for newer or hobbyist photographers though, so maybe a more prominent link to your blog where you show a wider selection of images from paid shoots would help to reassure them that you really are happy to work with photographers of all levels.

2. I don't think you really need more images here. 30 is plenty, especially as you have links to your website and Facebook etc. on your profile for those who want to see more.

3. You're already pretty close to perfect as you are, but personally I tend to feel that a model can never have too much hair so... if anything... longer hair!!

Oh, and living closer to me too, of course wink

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

+1 many times

I don't think I could say any more than Stefano has said so well, and very defiantly the last line, you need to come "home" more often!

T

Sep 01 13 11:10 pm Link

Model

Anita De Bauch

Tim Pile wrote:
You have a superb portfolio, but as Stefano suggest maybe a little too superb for hobbyists who are often already lacking in confidence, even though you do say in your profile notes how much you enjoy working with them.
So maybe more pointers towards images you have produced with less experienced photographers.

This is what I'm hearing the most often. I definitely need to think it over hard, as I'm not sure yet how to balance showing what I feel is my best work with not scaring people away.

Sep 06 13 12:23 pm Link

Model

Anita De Bauch

Paul Grupp wrote:
pictures 3 and 4 don't really add anything and actually dilute from your portfolio because you are just too small in them to see you with any detail.

Thanks Paul! They have been removed and replaced with pictures that are all about ME- one of which is my new avatar wink

Sep 07 13 10:49 am Link

Model

Anita De Bauch

Hunter Wald wrote:
Natural red heads, being a very small percentage of the population of assists that most of the population can't even mimic.  Dying hair red doesn't accomplish fair skin, and light eyebrows.  So many red heads are shot in black and white, I understand why, but, still, why?  Redheads, being rare, are treasured by men all over the world, who can never hope to date one, or another one.  I would suggest that you accent your hair.  Don't cut it, color it, or shave it off.  Show the world you are a natural redhead and that you have the terrific coloring that goes with your red hair.

I'm so sorry to do this to you, but I'm a natural blonde! Hence the fair skin and blue eyes. I colour my hair, eyebrows and ladygarden red so it looks natural!

Sep 07 13 10:51 am Link

Model

Anita De Bauch

NewBoldPhoto wrote:
You could easily get away with one less image of you running- both are cool but two just seems like overkill.

Good point- probably no need for two b&w running fashion shots! I now have just one, where I'm fully legging it in high heels smile

NewBoldPhoto wrote:
I would make you just very slightly smaller breasted and just a wee bit more muscular or rather a touch more toned.

How interesting, the dead opposite of another photographer, who thought larger breasts would make my top and bottom halves look more balanced. If my breasts were to get any smaller, I really wouldn't have any tissue there at all, it would be like a boy's chest. I'm not saying that would be a terrible thing, just saying!

I'm working on the tonage as we speak! Pre-breakfast Pilates most mornings, yoga on Sundays and lots of walking in my Fit-Flops smile

Sep 07 13 10:55 am Link

Model

Anita De Bauch

TA Craft Photography wrote:
you need to come "home" more often!

I'll be in Somerset over the Christmas period if you'd like to work together again. It's been way too long! smile

Sep 07 13 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

1. I don’t see any holes or gaps in your portfolio.

2. No.

3. Longer hair! As Stefano said, a model can’t have too much hair (unless it's body or facial hair).

I don’t agree with the premise that a portfolio that’s “too good” will scare off photographers at lower skill levels. At least I can’t think of a single reason why it should. All else being equal, the better the model, the better the photos, right?

There are photographers who can make almost any model look good, and there are models who can make almost any photographer look good – or at least better. It’s not like there’s a competition between the model and the photographer.

It’s like the Papa John’s commercials. “Better ingredients. Better pizza.”

Sep 07 13 02:52 pm Link