Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > I need mommy advice...

Model

DarcieK

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

So, I didn't want to spill beans yet, cause it's still fairly early, but I need some advice from other moms out there.

I'm 7 weeks pregnant roughly and those pesky first trimester symptoms are kicking in big time now -- nausea, fatigue, sore boobs, etc...but the worst is the mood swings. I can't stand this!!! I get even more cranky at work than normal, and I totally bawled last night cause I thought I ruined supper.

Can anyone give me tips on how to remain level headed and not snap on everyone?

Thx.

Sep 09 13 11:21 am Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Meditation and plenty of rest. Whenever I started feeling grumpy during my first trimester, I'd excuse myself and go read for a few minutes or take a power nap or something like that. If you're able to and it's approved by your doctor, light yoga can really help calm your nerves via deep breathing. But more than anything, feel confident in yourself and your body -- you got this. Your job is to eat well and rest; your body will do the rest on its own. smile

Congratulations! big_smile

Sep 09 13 11:27 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Kitty Katia wrote:
Meditation and plenty of rest. Whenever I started feeling grumpy during my first trimester, I'd excuse myself and go read for a few minutes or take a power nap or something like that. If you're able to and it's approved by your doctor, light yoga can really help calm your nerves via deep breathing. But more than anything, feel confident in yourself and your body -- you got this. Your job is to eat well and rest; your body will do the rest on its own. smile

Congratulations! big_smile

Thanks, love.

It's more so work than anything else. I work a very stressful job and people like to be arseholes and usually I can deal with it but it's tough this time. I see my doctor again on the 26th and I'm hoping she'll let me do yoga and other exercises since she said to steer clear for the first 8 weeks or so sad

Sep 09 13 11:39 am Link

Model

Siddy Pain

Stratford, Taranaki, New Zealand

Congrats! Unfortunately it happens I never found anything worked for me. Make sure you drink lots of water and have naps when you need to. 3 more weeks until the dreaded first trimester is over and hopefully you'll be feeling a lot better smile

Sep 09 13 01:07 pm Link

Model

DarcieK

Siddy Pain wrote:
Congrats! Unfortunately it happens I never found anything worked for me. Make sure you drink lots of water and have naps when you need to. 3 more weeks until the dreaded first trimester is over and hopefully you'll be feeling a lot better smile

Only 3? I thought it was 5 more...I thought the first trimester ended when week 13 started???

Sep 09 13 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Some women have a harder time than others during pregnancy.  No two are exactly the same.

Sep 09 13 02:00 pm Link

Model

DarcieK

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Some women have a harder time than others during pregnancy.  No two are exactly the same.

I know. My mom's not much help cause she didn't really get morning sickness or anything like that.

I just hate this feeling. I know it'll all be worth it in the end, but the fact that I feel like crying all the time is sooooooooo not like me.

Sep 09 13 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Totally going to be a boy - family experiences lead us to figure the greater the hormone mismatch - the greater the hormone experience and morning sickness.  One was hormonal and puking the whole first trimester (Grew a mustache later) and it was a boy.  Two years later came a girl and it was easy peasy - very little effect at all -

She was worried something was wrong "I'm not sick and I don't want to kill morons" - - it was a girl... smile

Have a friend or co-worker spread the word that you are preggers - and hormonal - and that they need to play nice for the next few weeks  - - and nobody gets cut. tongue

Sep 09 13 02:27 pm Link

Model

DarcieK

Vintagevista wrote:
Totally going to be a boy - family experiences lead us to figure the greater the hormone mismatch - the greater the hormone experience and morning sickness.  One was hormonal and puking the whole first trimester (Grew a mustache later) and it was a boy.  Two years later came a girl and it was easy peasy - very little effect at all -

She was worried something was wrong "I'm not sick and I don't want to kill morons" - - it was a girl... smile

Have a friend or co-worker spread the word that you are preggers - and hormonal - and that they need to play nice for the next few weeks  - - and nobody gets cut. tongue

Hahaha, my boyfriend will like you since he's routing for a boy since he already has a girl. My mom and grandma are hoping for a girl. Me, I don't care either way.

But, that's so weird in your family as most old wife's tales state the exact opposite -- lots of morning sickness = girl, no morning sickness = boy.

I guess we'll find out in April/May (or sooner if I decide to find out the gender lol)

Sep 09 13 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

DarcieK wrote:

Hahaha, my boyfriend will like you since he's routing for a boy since he already has a girl. My mom and grandma are hoping for a girl. Me, I don't care either way.

But, that's so weird in your family as most old wife's tales state the exact opposite -- lots of morning sickness = girl, no morning sickness = boy.

I guess we'll find out in April/May (or sooner if I decide to find out the gender lol)

The mustache is the clincher tongue

Sep 09 13 03:53 pm Link

Model

DarcieK

Vintagevista wrote:

The mustache is the clincher tongue

Dear God I hope not.

Sep 09 13 04:12 pm Link

Model

Siddy Pain

DarcieK wrote:

Only 3? I thought it was 5 more...I thought the first trimester ended when week 13 started???

Haha woops you're right 5 more! Hopefully they go quick

Sep 09 13 05:05 pm Link

Model

Siddy Pain

I had no morning sickness with my first (girl) no pains, nothing! and I didn't even get a nice round bump until I was overdue lol. This one I was heaving every morning and making my partner eat his dinner outside, it's a boy! I've heard of it going either way there's so many of those funny wives tales. What week do you find out the gender there? I've always loved the idea of doing the surprise but then the time comes and I just can't help myself x)

Sep 09 13 05:10 pm Link

Model

DarcieK

Siddy Pain wrote:
I had no morning sickness with my first (girl) no pains, nothing! and I didn't even get a nice round bump until I was overdue lol. This one I was heaving every morning and making my partner eat his dinner outside, it's a boy! I've heard of it going either way there's so many of those funny wives tales. What week do you find out the gender there? I've always loved the idea of doing the surprise but then the time comes and I just can't help myself x)

We can find out any time after 20 weeks. Part me wants to find out, but the other part doesn't.

Sep 09 13 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

DarcieK wrote:
I'm 7 weeks pregnant roughly and those pesky first trimester symptoms are kicking in big time now -- nausea, fatigue, sore boobs, etc...but the worst is the mood swings. I can't stand this!!! I get even more cranky at work than normal, and I totally bawled last night cause I thought I ruined supper.

https://reedsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Reeds-Chocolate-Crystallized-Ginger-Candy.png

Try 'em. They work.

Sep 09 13 07:20 pm Link

Model

DarcieK

Caradoc wrote:

https://reedsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Reeds-Chocolate-Crystallized-Ginger-Candy.png

Try 'em. They work.

I am trying to find those here. Not having much luck, though sad And the chewable ginger Gravol is gross!

Sep 09 13 07:44 pm Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

DarcieK wrote:
Thanks, love.

It's more so work than anything else. I work a very stressful job and people like to be arseholes and usually I can deal with it but it's tough this time. I see my doctor again on the 26th and I'm hoping she'll let me do yoga and other exercises since she said to steer clear for the first 8 weeks or so sad

If your boss is okay with it, take mini-breaks between customers. Put your head on your desk or against a wall or just walk outside and stretch. And remember--you're pregnant, you're bound to get upset more than usual. I am usually a VERY congenial gal and don't get upset/mad easily. But in the beginning? Wow. Major bitch mode. You'll even out once your body readjusts to your hormone levels, promise. smile

Sep 09 13 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

DarcieK wrote:
I am trying to find those here. Not having much luck, though sad And the chewable ginger Gravol is gross!

Tried http://www.amazon.ca ?

Sep 10 13 05:56 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DarcieK wrote:

We can find out any time after 20 weeks. Part me wants to find out, but the other part doesn't.

If I ever got knocked up I'd find out. The surprise is a cute idea and all, but when it comes to preparing I find if so not practical. That's just me.

As for how to not feel so crazy...consider that you KNOW you're acting fucking crazy and you KNOW why it is and that its not the normal "you", use that knowledge to calm your ass down, convince yourself that it will pass and push through it.

When I switched birth control pills a bit over a year ago I'd go through a period of weeks somewhere in my cycle where I'd get super needy and depressed and lonely and just so fucking miserable, it was like i was 13 all over again. The first couple times I didnt know why it was and dealt pretty badly with it, and then I finally noticed the pattern. I think I finally adjusted better to the drugs and it doesn't come on nearly as strong anymore as it did the first few times, but now when I know I'm around that time if I start feeling shitty I make it a point to ask myself if I have a reason to feel shitty, if i were being faced with whatever recent circumstances i was in, at any other point in time would i feel the same way, would i react the same way, etc. If the answer is "no, and I don't know why I feel this way,  I just DO"...it's probably my meds, and knowing that helps me put it aside until it goes away.

Sep 10 13 06:19 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Laura UnBound wrote:

If I ever got knocked up I'd find out. The surprise is a cute idea and all, but when it comes to preparing I find if so not practical. That's just me.

As for how to not feel so crazy...consider that you KNOW you're acting fucking crazy and you KNOW why it is and that its not the normal "you", use that knowledge to calm your ass down, convince yourself that it will pass and push through it.

When I switched birth control pills a bit over a year ago I'd go through a period of weeks somewhere in my cycle where I'd get super needy and depressed and lonely and just so fucking miserable, it was like i was 13 all over again. The first couple times I didnt know why it was and dealt pretty badly with it, and then I finally noticed the pattern. I think I finally adjusted better to the drugs and it doesn't come on nearly as strong anymore as it did the first few times, but now when I know I'm around that time if I start feeling shitty I make it a point to ask myself if I have a reason to feel shitty, if i were being faced with whatever recent circumstances i was in, at any other point in time would i feel the same way, would i react the same way, etc. If the answer is "no, and I don't know why I feel this way,  I just DO"...it's probably my meds, and knowing that helps me put it aside until it goes away.

I'd want to find out simply for the preparation of it (I'm a little anal retentive like that). But, my mom and best friend brought up good points: the sonographer could be wrong and you may have the opposite gender (that happened to a friend of mine) and also, waiting til delivery to find out will be one of the last surprises in life. I guess I'll decide when that time comes.

As for controlling my emotions, I'm trying. It's tough at work cause I deal with a lot of upset people and usually I'm fairly calm and collected with them, but I find I am getting way more annoyed with people or, if they are actively yelling, I want to burst out in tears. I'm slowly learning to deal with it though, so hopefully it peters out soon.

Sep 10 13 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Congrats! big_smile big_smile big_smile

Sep 10 13 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Jim Ball wrote:

(Not on the mood swings and stuff, but on the pregnancy!)

Sep 10 13 09:33 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Jim Ball wrote:

Thanks smile

Sep 10 13 09:40 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Not even here for two hours, and some prick (who is always a prick) just made me burst into tears after the call.

I can't do this job while so moody and hormonal. sad

Sep 10 13 10:18 am Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

DarcieK wrote:
Not even here for two hours, and some prick (who is always a prick) just made me burst into tears after the call.

I can't do this job while so moody and hormonal. sad

It will pass, I promise. *hugs*

Sep 10 13 10:49 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Kitty Katia wrote:

It will pass, I promise. *hugs*

I know, it's just tough when you work in customer service and you are to maintain a level of composure even during the rough calls sad

Sep 10 13 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

My daughter had  a 10lb 1oz baby boy the end of May.  Now he is 17 lbs.

Sep 10 13 11:45 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
My daughter had  a 10lb 1oz baby boy the end of May.  Now he is 17 lbs.

Ouch! I'm hoping genetics work in this case and my baby is only around 7 and a half pounds or so.

Sep 10 13 12:08 pm Link

Model

-Jen-

Howell, Michigan, US

DarcieK wrote:
So, I didn't want to spill beans yet, cause it's still fairly early, but I need some advice from other moms out there.

Can anyone give me tips on how to remain level headed and not snap on everyone?

Thx.

Congrats!!

Eat good, exercise (moderately...nothing crazy!) and make sure you are getting sleep!  If you feel tired, take a nap. If you start crying, let it go - get it out and you'll feel better.

The first 3 months are pretty sucky.  Just relax, walk away from things if you need to and try not to go off on everyone.  smile

Sep 10 13 07:38 pm Link

Model

Erin Holmes

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Anything with ginger with minimal or no processing should help. I'm not pregnant, but it's such a good superfood I try to sneak it in wherever I can. Tea, baking, candy, all sorts of Indian and Thai food.

Sep 10 13 07:51 pm Link

Model

Fergy

Fenton, Michigan, US

Congrats! 

I had horrible nausea with my last 3.  First one nothing.  It was awful!!  Peppermints worked wonders for me!!  I also had to keep food- pretzels mainly- in my purse/car at all times.  I never knew when my stomach was gonna growl.  With the growl came the heaving!  In the middle of grocery shopping, driving down the road...didn't matter!!

Those sea bands work alright too, you can get them at any drug store.

When you think you're getting upset, take a minute...look up blink your eyes and count to 10..or 20 whatever you need.  Take a few deep breaths and continue.  If you have to remove yourself for a few minutes. Go to the bathroom and wipe your face with cool water and do some more breathing.  It works well, at least with me.  For awhile there I was having a rough time and that is what I did.

Sep 11 13 06:12 am Link

Model

DarcieK

-Jen- wrote:

Congrats!!

Eat good, exercise (moderately...nothing crazy!) and make sure you are getting sleep!  If you feel tired, take a nap. If you start crying, let it go - get it out and you'll feel better.

The first 3 months are pretty sucky.  Just relax, walk away from things if you need to and try not to go off on everyone.  smile

I'm gonna start exercising...I need my endorphins back! I haven't done much at all cause the doctor said to take it easy.

As for naps, not going to happen at work, which is when I need them most, and the crying thing....I just do it silently so as to not bother others.

I know in the end it's all worth it, but damn does this suck monkey nuts some days!

Sep 11 13 09:59 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Fergy wrote:
Congrats! 

I had horrible nausea with my last 3.  First one nothing.  It was awful!!  Peppermints worked wonders for me!!  I also had to keep food- pretzels mainly- in my purse/car at all times.  I never knew when my stomach was gonna growl.  With the growl came the heaving!  In the middle of grocery shopping, driving down the road...didn't matter!!

Those sea bands work alright too, you can get them at any drug store.

When you think you're getting upset, take a minute...look up blink your eyes and count to 10..or 20 whatever you need.  Take a few deep breaths and continue.  If you have to remove yourself for a few minutes. Go to the bathroom and wipe your face with cool water and do some more breathing.  It works well, at least with me.  For awhile there I was having a rough time and that is what I did.

Awesome, thanks for the advice, Fergy! P.S. Did you feel any different with Jake than with the girls or carried differently? I am fascinated by old wives tales on gender lol

Sep 11 13 10:01 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

The only thing that helped with my nausea was peppermint and I hate it. I wanted to know the sex of both of my children and they both refused to cooperate for the ultrasound. My son was sitting crossed legged and no matter what position they made him turn for the ultrasound he was covering up his privates. My daughter had her legs closed the entire time. I had more morning sickness with my daughter. First babies are smaller and so are girls. I remember my sister telling me to enjoy my pregnancy. Ha! My hormones were so bad that I would watch Seinfeld and laugh and then go straight to crying. Just remember this is temporary and so worth it. Be glad that you don't have to SEE the customers you are dealing with. I worked in cosmetics and had to face the public with my broken out skin and my horrible maternity jacket provided by the company.

Sep 11 13 10:07 am Link

Model

Fergy

Fenton, Michigan, US

DarcieK wrote:
Awesome, thanks for the advice, Fergy! P.S. Did you feel any different with Jake than with the girls or carried differently? I am fascinated by old wives tales on gender lol

I carried all my babies like a basketball, all up front!  There was no difference between any of my pregnancies with how I carried them.  Its funny because a friend of mine carried one baby up in front, the other she carried all in her ass.  They were both girls.  lol

My first baby-girl was 7lbs 5 oz she was born on her due date, Second-boy he was also 7lbs 5oz.  Then the other 2 girls were bigger, Kayla was 8lbs, and Keely was 8lbs 5oz.  The last 3 were all born early.  My son was born at 37 weeks, and the last 2 were well over a week early.

Sep 12 13 08:05 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Fergy wrote:

I carried all my babies like a basketball, all up front!  There was no difference between any of my pregnancies with how I carried them.  Its funny because a friend of mine carried one baby up in front, the other she carried all in her ass.  They were both girls.  lol

My first baby-girl was 7lbs 5 oz she was born on her due date, Second-boy he was also 7lbs 5oz.  Then the other 2 girls were bigger, Kayla was 8lbs, and Keely was 8lbs 5oz.  The last 3 were all born early.  My son was born at 37 weeks, and the last 2 were well over a week early.

haha, I am curious as to how I'm going to carry this kid. I just hope I'm not like my mom who gained 60 fricken pounds with me and 40 with my brother :S And, if I this baby is anything like me, baby is going to stay in my belly long after my due date (which as of right now is April 27).

Sep 12 13 08:46 am Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

DarcieK wrote:
haha, I am curious as to how I'm going to carry this kid. I just hope I'm not like my mom who gained 60 fricken pounds with me and 40 with my brother :S And, if I this baby is anything like me, baby is going to stay in my belly long after my due date (which as of right now is April 27).

In the beginning, I carried my preggo weight really high (think below boobs/near stomach region), then that turned into super low (as in holy-cow-how-am-I-walking-with-this-thing-over-my-yoo-hoo), and now it fluctuates between low pelvis and mid-torso.

Silly fetus.

And if this kid's like me, it'll be born weeks early from scratching its way out yikes.

Sep 12 13 11:19 am Link

Model

DarcieK

Kitty Katia wrote:

In the beginning, I carried my preggo weight really high (think below boobs/near stomach region), then that turned into super low (as in holy-cow-how-am-I-walking-with-this-thing-over-my-yoo-hoo), and now it fluctuates between low pelvis and mid-torso.

Silly fetus.

And if this kid's like me, it'll be born weeks early from scratching its way out yikes.

lol @ the last sentence.

I'm not really showing anywhere except my boobs. In fact, my boyfriend was like "whoa!" this morning lol Otherwise, my "belly" is just bloat at this point.

Sep 12 13 11:52 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Weight gain is mostly up to you, partly up to the baby. I gained what the doctor told me to, within their range. They told me 25-30 pounds and then looked and saw I was taller than average and said I could go up to 35 pounds. I wish they hadn't LOL. I gained 32-33 with each kid. My sister gained so much weight and her kids were so big that her uterus was stretched so thin it was almost transparent. Both kids she had were c-sections and they were both in a special nursery because of this. She told me she was as big as her fridge, she even measured! I didn't model before I had kids and oh boy I wish I had;)

Sep 12 13 01:51 pm Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

DarcieK wrote:
lol @ the last sentence.

I'm not really showing anywhere except my boobs. In fact, my boyfriend was like "whoa!" this morning lol Otherwise, my "belly" is just bloat at this point.

That's very normal. I didn't start looking pregnant until the end of the first trimester--now I'm at week 18 and BARELY have that rounded tummy all the time. Before hand, I just looked like I was overeating lol

Sep 13 13 11:02 am Link