Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Do's and Don'ts for Models

Makeup Artist

MakeUp By Krystyn

La Porte, Indiana, US

I'm a newer makeup artist, but after working with a few models now, I've come to realize that I need to for a list to provide to them of things to do and not to do before they come to a shoot for makeup and hair. Just things to make the shoot run smoother for everyone.

I have a few things like 'Do: drink plenty of water throughout the day' and ' Don't: come to set with a ton of makeup applied already.'

Any suggestions for the list?

Jul 08 14 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MakeUp By Krystyn wrote:
I'm a newer makeup artist, but after working with a few models now, I've come to realize that I need to for a list to provide to them of things to do and not to do before they come to a shoot for makeup and hair. Just things to make the shoot run smoother for everyone.

I have a few things like 'Do: drink plenty of water throughout the day' and ' Don't: come to set with a ton of makeup applied already.'

Any suggestions for the list?

Don't get a spray tan the day before the shoot without asking the photographer first.

Getting the job because the photographer was especially interested in your white, opalescent skin and showing up a deep orange is not a nice thing to do on your own.

KM

Jul 08 14 12:38 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Nails should be All the same length with no or barely there colored polish.  No product in clean dried hair.  Find out what type of hair the model has before you meet them.  If they have naturally curly hair and the looks your going for are for the hair to be straight, I would suggest the model comes with straighten hair.  If it's for a TFP shoot.  If your getting paid to do hair then you can choose how you want them to show up.  Trust me it will save a lot of time.  R-

Jul 08 14 01:31 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Whenever I'm in a position of setting up a shoot I always ask models to come to set with clean hair and a clean face, advising them not to put any product in it. I also always ask models for their current hair length and color and whether or not the length is the result of extensions. Additionally, if a model has a port full of obviously photoshopped images I will ask for them to send me a candid shot of how they currently look.

Jul 08 14 01:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeUp By Krystyn

La Porte, Indiana, US

These are great additions! Thanks so much!

Jul 08 14 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

JohnEnger

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

I have a web-page that I send out to models I work with.
It contains a lot of information about do and don't stuff.

I guess you could mention that any treatment that could cause rash or breakouts of any sort should NOT be performed just before the shoot. These treatments may need proper time to heal.

Any artificial tanning should be avoided. They are rarely even and almost always come out way to orange.

Nail polish in freaky colors should be discussed before the shoot.

Mani/Pedi should be performed regurlarly, either at home or a salon. It just needs to look good.

Some dark haired models may need waxing/hair removal on the arms. Retouching hairy arms suck and is very time consuming.

Hope some of this may be of use.

J.

Jul 09 14 12:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup Art by Tamara

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Come with groomed brows, minimal or no facial hair (if a woman) no cracked lips, don't come in with leftover makeup from yesterday or foundation that you applied because you think it would make things go faster, and NO SUNSCREEN! I also advise aspiring models to never get lash extensions or permanent makeup. EVER.

Jul 09 14 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Don't drink tons of alcohol the night before a shoot. 

Sleep the night before at least 8hrs.

No colorful nails.

Practice a few poses before hand too please.

Try on the clothes you bring before hand, make sure they fit!

Remove tags.

Lose the hair tie on the wrist, I hate that!

Jul 09 14 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

Don't get a spray tan the day before the shoot without asking the photographer first.

Getting the job because the photographer was especially interested in your white, opalescent skin and showing up a deep orange is not a nice thing to do on your own.

KM

Yes, the orange skin. I hate that! LOL

Jul 09 14 05:49 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

You see, I have a thing for black nail polish. I used to arrive to shoots with said nail polish on.

Fortunately, that was easily fixed and now I ask in advance if dark nails are okay.

No black nail polish, No chipped nails, etc.

Jul 09 14 06:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Remove bra and jewelry 8 hours before a shoot; no tight clothing the day of. (strap etc. marks)

No skin treatments or hair removal or tanning within 48 hours of shoot.

Brows groomed.

Facial hair removed (women) or groomed (men).

Shave or wax as is appropriate for your gender and look.

Hair trimmed (men). Hair clean. Don't care if it's dry, I'm going to wet it to style it anyway.

Nothing on clean skin: no moisturizer, makeup, skin care products, sunscreen, etc.

Nails groomed and naked or neutral, skin toned polish. Most times they are polished on set, but if they are groomed and polish free this helps. We don't have time for complete mani/pedis.

Deodorant that is completely clear. Better not to wear it and be freshly showered than ruin couture.

If you are bringing wardrobe, make sure it is clean and pressed/steamed.

No body lotion on skin exposed by wardrobe; it will interfere with body makeup/skincare.

Brush and floss your teeth.

Sleep, hydrate, eat well. Protein and plant based foods are great for shoot days and the day before. Avoiding dairy and carbs and sugar always helps for a couple days before and the day of if you need to keep to measurements for wardrobe.

Jul 10 14 11:33 am Link

Model

Sarah Lynn Modeling

Asheville, North Carolina, US

This is all super helpful advice.  I have a kit I bring to shoots and this gave me good ideas for other things to add to my kit.  I often have to go straight from work to a shoot, and thus show up wearing makeup--so I'll start keeping makeup remover and tissues in my kit as well as a tooth brush and tooth paste so I can brush my teeth at work before heading to the shoot too.

Jul 11 14 01:33 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Keila Sone

Harrison, New Jersey, US

Agree with all
And also please shower or at least wash your underarms before shoot,no one wants smell you all day.

Jul 11 14 05:18 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Makeup Hair by Dani B wrote:
Nothing on clean skin: no moisturizer

Makeup is going to go on my skin like shit if I don't moisturize right after washing, so unless you plan on washing my face for me, no.

Jul 13 14 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Image Studios

Marengo, Illinois, US

Do not wear any tight clothes or underwear that will take time for the lines to go away.

Jul 13 14 07:26 pm Link

Model

Kimber D G

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US

I don't set foot outside sans  high quality moisturizer and sunscreen.

Jul 13 14 07:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lapin Jacqueline

New York, New York, US

-Allow enough time for nails to dry.
I had to paint nails on hand models for a Vaseline commercial and this one model kept talking on her phone, switching hands to hold it and when I was done she walked away. She came back and was complaining that her nails smudged and got everywhere. I had to waste time fixing her fuck up.

-Keep your head still while makeup is being applied.
Some talk way too much and start to get animated in their conversation. Don't take it personal if we firmly say "Please hold still".

-Your opinion doesn't matter.
If you're not the client/director/photographer your opinion on the makeup or hair does not matter. It is not you who dictates the look of the shoot. If the photographer wants you to wear blue lipstick and you don't like it, we can't change the entire look just because you're not a fan of blue lipstick. You're hired as a model/talent for a reason.

Jul 14 14 08:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lapin Jacqueline

New York, New York, US

It's not cool if a model shows up with full makeup but its totally ok if they show up with moisturizer. Nothing wrong with that. A makeup artist should always have skin care products for all types. I always end up cleaning, toning, and moisturizing the models face anyway because you never know.

Jul 14 14 08:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

Makeup is going to go on my skin like shit if I don't moisturize right after washing, so unless you plan on washing my face for me, no.

The reason for this is that if a model is wearing skin care products that aren't compatible with the makeup products used, the makeup will not go on well. For example, an oil based moisturizer and water based foundation may not play well together. So if a model insists on wearing moisturizer or anything else to a shoot, be prepared to have it removed first thing. Yes, I do wash model's faces, routinely. This is pretty standard stuff. Models also often lie about there being anything on their faces, so I tend to wash first with a pre-cleanser anyway to make sure. There is very often makeup on the cloth, evidence of skin care products, etc. All of which affect the final results.

Jul 14 14 08:53 am Link

Model

Victoria Ellis

San Diego, California, US

I have extremely dry skin so not moisturizing is definitely not an option. I make my own lotion out of shea butter and natural oils. Everyone loves it and it makes a great base under make-up and looks good applied all over. I only started making my own because my skin was so bad and kept at it until I had an amazing product. Do what works for you and makes you look good. I always make sure to communicate that I have dry and sensitive skin and my own products because it's relevant and affects my comfort and how the photos will turn out. Never been a problem or caused any issues that couldn't be solved with a little communication.

I have kind of weak fingernails and have no patience for nail polish so I just keep them trimmed short, clean and plain. I paint my toenails whatever color is requested or a color that makes sense for the shoot.

Shave everything that needs shaving, pluck everything that needs plucking. Don't wash your hair the day of the shoot. Slightly dirty hair musses better and has better hold.

If you really want to have better skin, hair and a better body, stop wearing make-up on a daily basis, switch to natural products (no chemicals!), get your diet right, and don't drink alcohol.

Jul 14 14 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Here are my instructions

"Model Preparation:
Being well-rested, energetic, and neatly groomed is essential for our beautiful photos. You should arrive at the shoot with minimal makeup or hair product as that will be applied by the professional MUA and hair stylists at the shoot. Please have your nails neat with clear polish, and your eyebrows and body hair freshly groomed. Please do not use artificial skin tanning/products less than 3 days before the shoot.  Please avoid jeans or other tight clothing that can leave marks on skin. Bring your Driver’s License (or other proof of Identity & Age), any special foundation or makeup products, and any music/refreshments/etc to make you feel comfortable. Other guests must be approved by Scott."

Jul 14 14 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

no peeling or exfoliating the day before....wash your hair in the morning, don't bow dry it but leave it "damped"..no makeup, and especially no mascara, and no product in hair

Herman
======
make-up, hair, wardrobe, art-director...and at the end photographer...

Jul 14 14 11:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

Not really a do's and don'ts for models...but I do incorporate the following into my routine:

-Sweeping a makeup wipe over the model's face. 9 times out of 10 a model will have SOMETHING on their face rather it's makeup from clubbing the following night or a translucent acne spot treatment.

-Bring a moisturizer! I like to bring one that is designed for dry skin and one for oily skin. Again, some models take care of their skin...and some don't.

-Have nail polish remover, body cream, and cuticle scissors in your kit. These guys are lifesavers. I use my cuticle scissors pretty much on every set; they're great for trimming tags, lashes, etc.

-Bring gum/mints. I personally prefer mints so I'm not chewing away inches from someone's face, but either works. More often than not I drink a coffee on my way to set...so this prevents me from having dragon breath. It's also great if your model needs one.

-Snacks. I feel like this a bit of an obscure one but I always bring a snack/water along with me on set. That way if someone didn't grab a bite before heading to set you'll have something. Water is incredibly important, there have been a few times in which I've felt dehydrated.

-Gluten free/vegan products. This is another slightly obscure one. I work with a decent amount of vegans/gluten allergy models. Most of the time the person you're working with will let you know about this, but if they do not be sure to have a few of these items in your kit. Don't forget about vegan brushes too! A lot of brands have teddy bear hair brushes these days.

Jul 30 14 02:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sophia Porter

Lemont, Illinois, US

heres a link I have shared with models in the past

http://www.themakeupartist.com/document … stions.pdf

Experienced models typically know better.

Feb 21 15 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Erasm Roterdam

Millbury, Massachusetts, US

Very useful information !!.
Thanks

Feb 21 15 09:54 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Herman van Gestel wrote:
no peeling or exfoliating the day before....wash your hair in the morning, don't bow dry it but leave it "damped"..no makeup, and especially no mascara, and no product in hair

Herman
======
make-up, hair, wardrobe, art-director...and at the end photographer...

Many of us have to at least partially dry our hair before a shoot. I really don't think you want me to show up with my hair doing a flip because that is what it wants to do naturally if left alone. Cowlicks too, dear God I got two of them so they must be tamed.

Exfoliating is done when you shave so well, that is going to be done the day of the shoot also.

As for hydration OP...You need to hydrate much longer than just the day of the shoot. As someone said, no alcohol the night before a shoot goes along with that.

Feb 21 15 02:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Like a bride, don't do any sort of chemical mask/face peel whatever, harsh exfoliants etc. at least a week prior to shoot.

No fake tans.

Clean, DRY hair.

Clean face.

Clean, bare, filed, nails.

Don't party/get drunk and stay up late the night before the shoot.

Get plenty of rest before the shoot.

It's mainly just being clean, polished and ready for the shoot.

Feb 22 15 10:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

SherryHarkisan

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

Little Tumi FX wrote:
Some talk way too much and start to get animated in their conversation. Don't take it personal if we firmly say "Please hold still".

If you're not the client/director/photographer your opinion on the makeup or hair does not matter. It is not you who dictates the look of the shoot. If the photographer wants you to wear blue lipstick and you don't like it, we can't change the entire look just because you're not a fan of blue lipstick. You're hired as a model/talent for a reason.

qft!

Mar 11 15 08:44 am Link

Model

Katrina480

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

I'm sure some of these have been mentioned before but here are mine:

-Sleep well and apply moisturiser the night before
-make sure your hair, body, face is clean- nothing more off putting that dirt!
-no alcohol!
-trimmed, nicely shaped nails with neutral or no nail varnish
-I tend to come in with base makeup to save time, although I do tell the photogher first.
-invest in decent quality makeup (esp. foundation!)
- keep an eye on periods, depending on the individual they can alter performance and make the day uncomfortable. sad
-try to wear loose fitted clothing to the shoot since closer fit may leave markings (important for lingerie models)
- if bringing your own clothes/ underwear, make sure they are clean, not shabby looking and fit well.

Mar 11 15 10:14 am Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

As a body painter I always send models a Need To Know handout.
I am sure I need to make one for photographers too!
Working in and shooting body paint has its own particulars.

Sweet Loretta

Mar 11 15 12:18 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Le Noir Bazaar

Tacoma, Washington, US

Lapin Jacqueline wrote:
-Allow enough time for nails to dry.
I had to paint nails on hand models for a Vaseline commercial and this one model kept talking on her phone, switching hands to hold it and when I was done she walked away. She came back and was complaining that her nails smudged and got everywhere. I had to waste time fixing her fuck up.

MUA, Stylist and Client here (I am any one of the three at any given time.): Yes to all of the above.  I've had a couple of new models to the industry actually start to cry because they didn't like their make up when we were going for a specific look at fashion shows.  I've also had models at commercial shoots argue the styling with us. Those models do not get rehired no matter how good they are on the runway or in front of the camera.  Sorry but if I'm paying you, you don't get to have an opinion. 

Please take a shower and use clear only deodorant.  I once had a girl who smelled so bad we had to have everything she wore professionally cleaned after the shoot.  We were shooting catalog. 

Don't bring your personal issues to the set.  Crying on the phone to or about your boyfriend or personal problems between shots isn't professional. 

Drink lots of water the day before and the day of the shoot. Stay hydrated!  Don't go out and party the night before - no alcohol - Covering up your black under eye circles is time consuming for the MUA. 

Neat natural nails & toes unless otherwise specified.  No crazy or dark nail polish.

Don't radically change your hair between the time you were booked and the shoot.  I've hired a dark haired girl and she's shown up with blonde hair. 

Ditto on brand new visible tattoos or piercings. 

If you get a sunburn or tan lines contact your client ASAP and let them know with photos. 

Please be on time. Don't show up late and then tell me you are on a time schedule you didn't warn me about when we hired you.

Jun 18 16 09:13 pm Link

Model

Account subscribed

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

Interesting to see what you do not like. Without saying that I would follow every wish if ever beeing in that situation.

Aug 14 16 03:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Yasmin Hussain

London, England, United Kingdom

Lapin Jacqueline wrote:

THIS!

Aug 18 16 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Keila Sone wrote:
Agree with all
And also please shower or at least wash your underarms before shoot,no one wants smell you all day.

And brush your teeth...had a girl come in reeking of booze on the breath once

Aug 20 16 12:30 pm Link

Model

JosieLesway

Loughborough, England, United Kingdom

Lapin Jacqueline wrote:
I've had a couple of new models to the industry actually start to cry because they didn't like their make up when we were going for a specific look at fashion shows.  I've also had models at commercial shoots argue the styling with us. quote]

^^ honestly I don't understand why a model would be arguing with the MUA, they should be grateful they were hired as they applied for the job in the first place... I'm new to the industry and even I know that? its crazy how some people act.

And a question, would you prefer a model to come with strapless bras? so they don't make marks I mean?

Aug 28 16 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

SavageBeautyPortraits

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Don't get your hair straightened before a shoot...when the photographer chose you because of your wonderful curls!

Aug 28 16 10:27 pm Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I always laugh when a client tells me to come with "clean hair" and "shaved legs/armpits". When I asked them why they'd say such an obvious thing they say that routinely models come with greasy hair and unshaved. So apparently you can't state the obvious often enough!

Aug 30 16 04:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

CynthiaMarieR

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

A lot of artists should carry facial wipes, make up remover, toner and at least a simple moisturizer in their kit. From all my years of apprenticing weddings and shoots, I know I do. So, I think maybe ask the artist if they have these things for you? I understand not all will, though. Best thing to do is ask.

Aug 31 16 10:30 am Link

Model

Envy Jolie

Makeup Art by Tamara wrote:
Come with groomed brows, minimal or no facial hair (if a woman) no cracked lips, don't come in with leftover makeup from yesterday or foundation that you applied because you think it would make things go faster, and NO SUNSCREEN! I also advise aspiring models to never get lash extensions or permanent makeup. EVER.

Oct 07 16 07:45 pm Link

Model

Envy Jolie

Jet Set Envy Jolie wrote:

Oct 07 16 07:45 pm Link