Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > ATI in Paris replaces Photoshop by Krita

Retoucher

Marcus Christopher

Vienna, Wien, Austria

This might be interesting to some:

The ATI (Art and Technology of Image) department at University Paris 8 is saying goodbye to Photoshop and switching to Krita this year: "Until recently the classes used only Adobe Photoshop, but because of inadequate support from the company the department decided to replace that." According to François (teacher of Compositing at ATI), “we don’t want to let ourselves be pushed around and make choices that go against our beliefs. This freedom of choice is exactly the advantage that a public institution has over a private school.”

https://krita.org/item/goodbye-photosho … ty-paris-8

Personally, I teach "Electronic Publication and Prepress" at a local university and have often recommended Krita to my students, when they were looking for a free replacement for Photoshop. But, frankly, I have never actually taken the time to seriously give Krita a try. I might change that soon. smile

Jan 20 15 03:36 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

Sounds like they're short of cash and trying to make a virtue out of a necessity. I suspect this will last for a year or so till numbers starts to dwindle, with potential students going elsewhere to be given proper training with industry standard software.

Jan 20 15 04:49 am Link

Retoucher

Marcus Christopher

Vienna, Wien, Austria

AKMac wrote:
Sounds like they're short of cash and trying to make a virtue out of a necessity. I suspect this will last for a year or so till numbers starts to dwindle, with potential students going elsewhere to be given proper training with industry standard software.

I do see the problem with not teaching "industry standard software", as, later on, the students will have to work with Adobe Photoshop anyway. However, although I'm not aware of any software that could fully replace Photoshop in the short term, I have also started to become aware of its shortcomings. Photoshop's whole workflow is basically ancient, newer programs (in different areas) have come up with much more practical approaches (such as node-based editing). Also, there's a LOT that Krita does better than Photoshop. Hell, even GIMP has got features than do not exist in Photoshop.

I'm not saying, Photoshop can be replaced easily. Not yet, at least. Not for commercial work and not in a team workflow. But I think, Adobe will have to start thinking about completely new editing paradigms soon. Other programs are already at the starting line.

Jan 20 15 07:18 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm not saying, Photoshop can be replaced easily. Not yet, at least. Not for commercial work and not in a team workflow. But I think, Adobe will have to start thinking about completely new editing paradigms soon. Other programs are already at the starting line.

I agree. And the attitude Adobe have always adopted towards Universities and Colleges has been because they know they have the monopoly.

Jan 20 15 08:02 am Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

Marcus Christopher wrote:

AKMac wrote:
But I think, Adobe will have to start thinking about completely new editing paradigms soon. Other programs are already at the starting line.

You make some good points, but it's different for a new player to approach a problem from a completely new angle. How does a very established player erase and rethink everything from the ground up ? Doing that would not be an issue for new users, but you always risk alienating your base longtime  users.

Imagine if Ford decided to make just one universal change and remove all steering wheels in their vehicles and replace them with touch screen steering next year ?

Jan 20 15 09:17 am Link

Retoucher

Marcus Christopher

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:
You make some good points, but it's different for a new player to approach a problem from a completely new angle. How does a very established player erase and rethink everything from the ground up ? Doing that would not be an issue for new users, but you always risk alienating your base longtime  users.

Undoubtedly. I can name quite a few examples of how an established brand lost a vast portion of their target group by modifying the product too much.

However, I also know that Adobe will have to change its flagship rather sooner than later. And I really think that Adobe is painfully aware of that. After all, there's got to be a reason for switching to a subscription plan that annoyed so many long-time users.

By the way, I think, InDesign (and Quark XPress) is running into the same troubles: With digital magazines (and e-books and multi-channel publishing and responsive content...) becoming more and more ubiquitous, software for producing printed products will be relegated to a niche existence in, say, 10 to 15 years from now. They have already reacted by including EPUB features in InDesign. But then again, adding a few cool features just won't be enough to compete with totally new products.

So, my point is: As professionals, although our day-to-day job is busy, we should really be open to how new players - even Open Source ones - solve old (and new) problems. The paradigms might be shifting...

Jan 20 15 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

After all, there's got to be a reason for switching to a subscription plan that annoyed so many long-time users.

The 1 reason is ...
More $$$$

Jan 20 15 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Another impressive alternate product --

Zoner Photo Studio -- try the free demo and point it to your existing Photoshop plugin directory (many plugins will work)

https://www.zoner.com/
http://free.zoner.com/

Jan 20 15 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Undoubtedly. I can name quite a few examples of how an established brand lost a vast portion of their target group by modifying the product too much.

However, I also know that Adobe will have to change its flagship rather sooner than later. And I really think that Adobe is painfully aware of that. After all, there's got to be a reason for switching to a subscription plan that annoyed so many long-time users.

I'm curious as to what you think Adobe is going to change and why.

Although some don't like the idea of a subscription service, many others like me do find it advantageous. I like having the latest software, and their emails detailing what changes /additions they have made.
I've been a Photoshop user since Version 3 and really find it works well for me.

Jan 22 15 07:23 am Link