Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Aug 06 15 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Bobby C wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_r6ndZRZY

But if they build that wall all those people will need a place to go, and Portland is a likely candidate.

Aug 06 15 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Robb Mann wrote:
But if they build that wall all those people will need a place to go, and Portland is a likely candidate.

lol

No s&*# !
Portland is turning into the new San Francisco, really.
All this  development going on,  massive gentrification, growing homeless people numbers and their camps, housing shortage, rent getting expensive.

Aug 06 15 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Too much work.

Plant a neutron bomb in the Burning Man, done deal.

Aug 06 15 10:19 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Bobby C wrote:
lol

No s&*# !
Portland is turning into the new San Francisco, really.
All this  development going on,  massive gentrification, growing homeless people numbers and their camps, housing shortage, rent getting expensive.

I have some relatives in Bend, OR who say they wish central and eastern Oregon could split off and make their own state.  They believe the coast, Willamette Valley and Portland areas are a loss.

Aug 06 15 11:57 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Too much work.

Plant a neutron bomb in the Burning Man, done deal.

It's not too far from the test range is it?

Aug 06 15 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

ernst tischler wrote:
I have some relatives in Bend, OR who say they wish central and eastern Oregon could split off and make their own state.  The believe the coast, Willamette Valley and Portland areas are a loss.

Why is it a loss ? Because those places ( Willamette Valley and Portland ) are developed,  stunningly beautiful, have very fertile land, thriving farms and  world class vineyards, wealthy and have a high percentage of people living there who ar educated ?
Why do they need to split off ? The progressives live only in a few cities, Portland, Bend, Ashland etc. Everywhere else are Conservative, ranchers etc.
All the wealth of Oregon comes from the cities and most of the educated live in cities. Rural Oregon is very poor. If they split off, who is going to subsidize their farms/ranches, provide food stamps, low income benefits, social services etc ?
Oregon is the Texas of the West Coast.

Aug 06 15 12:14 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Bobby C wrote:
Why is it a loss ? Because those places ( Willamette Valley and Portland ) are developed,  stunningly beautiful, have very fertile land, thriving farms and  world class vineyards, wealthy and have a high percentage of people living there who ar educated ?
Why do they need to split off ? The progressives live only in a few cities, Portland, Bend, Ashland etc. Everywhere else are Conservative, ranchers etc.
All the wealth of Oregon comes from the cities and most of the educated live in cities. Rural Oregon is very poor. If they split off, who is going to subsidize their farms/ranches, provide food stamps, low income benefits, social services etc ?

You sound just like the people they talk about.  LOL

Aug 06 15 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

ernst tischler wrote:

You sound just like the people they talk about.  LOL

I've been to Oregon quite a few times.
Bobby C is correct, outside of the "civilized" areas Oregon is a bleak, beautiful place with high unemployment, lots of meth labs and hillbillies livin' the dream.

If they want to eat sticks and dirt and huddle in their trailers, let them!!!

smile

Aug 06 15 12:41 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
I've been to Oregon quite a few times.
Bobby C is correct, outside of the "civilized" areas Oregon is a bleak, beautiful place with high unemployment, lots of meth labs and hillbillies livin' the dream.

If they want to eat sticks and dirt and huddle in their trailers, let them!!!

smile

You sound like those people they talk about too.  LOL

I visit my family in Oregon several times a year since the mid 1980's.  Aside from flying into Portland airport, my time is spent in the central and northeastern part of the state.  May family there are farmers and most all their friends are farmers.  I'm not sure where the "meth labs and hillbillies livin' the dream" are, but I have not seen them.  LOL

Aug 06 15 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

ernst tischler wrote:

You sound like those people they talk about too.  LOL

I visit my family in Oregon several times a year since the mid 1980's.  Aside from flying into Portland airport, my time is spent in the central and northeastern part of the state.  May family there are farmers and most all their friends are farmers.  I'm not sure where the "meth labs and hillbillies livin' the dream" are, but I have not seen them.  LOL

Tiny tip of a huge iceberg, some data is quite old. Poorer counties will have less law enforcement resources available - a blessing and a curse. It is an epidemic and certainly not just in Oregon. Washington state has it's share. When I lived in the Central Valley of California I used to run 50-60 rolls of film a week for many branches of law enforcement, most of the shots were of meth labs. Plenty of hillbillies living the dream there too.

Meth labs are all around you in Texas too, count on it. Sad but true.

I have relatives in Grant's Pass, they are classic hillbillies living in trailers. Perspective, my "hillbillies" might just be kin to others. My hat is off to anybody making a living anywhere as long as it does not destroy civilization but I call it as I see it.

http://www.bcd.oregon.gov/druglabs/druglabs.html

Aug 06 15 01:04 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Tiny tip of a huge iceberg, some data is quite old. Poorer counties will have less law enforcement resources available - a blessing and a curse. It is an epidemic and certainly not just in Oregon. Washington state has it's share. When I lived in the Central Valley of California I used to run 50-60 rolls of film a week for many branches of law enforcement, most of the shots were of meth labs. Plenty of hillbillies living the dream there too.

Meth labs are all around you in Texas too, count on it. Sad but true.

I have relatives in Grant's Pass, they are classic hillbillies living in trailers. Perspective, my "hillbillies" might just be kin to others. My hat is off to anybody making a living anywhere as long as it does not destroy civilization but I call it as I see it.

http://www.bcd.oregon.gov/druglabs/druglabs.html

Crime and illegal drugs are everywhere...but they are not the single defining factor of a large area like central and eastern Oregon.  My family is generally conservative and have issues with how the liberals on the west side of the Cascades are running the state...THAT is what they consider a loss and wish they could not be a part of.

Aug 06 15 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

ernst tischler wrote:

Crime and illegal drugs are everywhere...but they are not the single defining factor of a large area like central and eastern Oregon.  My family is generally conservative and have issues with how the liberals on the west side of the Cascades are running the state...THAT is what they consider a loss and wish they could not be a part of.

I said from the get-go that I am fine with them having their own state. I suppose you took exception to my terminology and stereotyping but I guess that's just how it goes. I always seem to end up being either "Us" or "Them" to somebody!! big_smile

I feel the same way up here in Washington, let the sparsely populated/low tax base areas that complain endlessly take things into their own hands and good luck to them.

Having printed quite a few "crime area" maps in both California and Washington I can tell you that there is a tendency for meth labs to proliferate in areas where cost of living is low and law enforcement is scarce. What happens to the drugs produced in these areas is another matter entirely.

Pretty hard to sustain paying for an expensive apartment in Portland when you are producing a relatively inexpensive "product" for people who generally speaking are no longer making a legitimate living. Typically, a weekend in a cheap hotel distributing and back home to hillbilly heaven.

The city of Bellingham just condemned The Aloha Hotel up here, they found 50,000 times higher than the legal limit of meth residue in the paint on the walls in enough rooms to have the entire structure condemned. The suppliers will have to find a new place to distribute.

Aug 06 15 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

ernst tischler wrote:

Of course.
"Hey Myrtle, let's all, y'all stay uneducated, poor, benefit from Govt subsidies, and turn around and blame the Gubment. I'm tired of educated people running the state. I wish our cousin Billybob was running this  place."

https://media.oregonlive.com/politics_impact/photo/oregon-business-plan-poverty-by-countyjpg-661b096ca0c30e70.jpg

https://media.oregonlive.com/education_impact/photo/tuitiongraphicjpg-15744692bd2cf4a5.jpg

Aug 06 15 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bobby C wrote:

Of course.
"Hey Myrtle, let's all, y'all stay uneducated, poor, benefit from Govt subsidies, and turn around and blame the Gubment. I'm tired of educated people running the state. I wish our cousin Billybob was running this  place."

https://media.oregonlive.com/politics_impact/photo/oregon-business-plan-poverty-by-countyjpg-661b096ca0c30e70.jpg

https://media.oregonlive.com/education_impact/photo/tuitiongraphicjpg-15744692bd2cf4a5.jpg

Oh Fuck, Oh Dear, Statistics!!!! lol

Must. have. Possum. .gif.

https://i.imgur.com/dVLI4.gif

Aug 06 15 03:01 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
I said from the get-go that I am fine with them having their own state. I suppose you took exception to my terminology and stereotyping but I guess that's just how it goes. I always seem to end up being either "Us" or "Them" to somebody!! big_smile

I feel the same way up here in Washington, let the sparsely populated/low tax base areas that complain endlessly take things into their own hands and good luck to them.

Having printed quite a few "crime area" maps in both California and Washington I can tell you that there is a tendency for meth labs to proliferate in areas where cost of living is low and law enforcement is scarce. What happens to the drugs produced in these areas is another matter entirely.

Pretty hard to sustain paying for an expensive apartment in Portland when you are producing a relatively inexpensive "product" for people who generally speaking are no longer making a legitimate living. Typically, a weekend in a cheap hotel distributing and back home to hillbilly heaven.

The city of Bellingham just condemned The Aloha Hotel up here, they found 50,000 times higher than the legal limit of meth residue in the paint on the walls in enough rooms to have the entire structure condemned. The suppliers will have to find a new place to distribute.

You seem to want to fault the people who live in the rural areas for the meth labs.  I live a rural area about an hour and a half from Houston.  The majority of the people being arrested around here for running meth labs are from Houston and the locals arrested are teenagers the people from Houston hired and trained.  Then they take the meth back to Houston to sell.  I guess they are selling it to all those educated city dwellers.

Aug 06 15 03:18 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Bobby C wrote:
Of course.

Your statements continue to show the elitist attitude that my relatives tell me is running the state of Oregon.

Bobby C wrote:

With the exceptions of the three counties in south east Oregon, the map shows the poverty levels in central and northeastern Oregon (the areas I have been talking about here) is the same as the coast, Willamette Valley and Portland areas.  That is most likely not exactly what you were trying to show with that map.

Bobby C wrote:

This chart shows that public universities located in central and eastern Oregon receive only 14.3% of the total state funding.  With the exception of OSU Cascades, the percentage of tuition funded is about equal across the board.  Probably not exactly what you were trying to show there either.

Aug 06 15 03:36 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Oh Fuck, Oh Dear, Statistics!!!! lol

Must. have. Possum. .gif.

https://i.imgur.com/dVLI4.gif

...especially when they don't help.  LOL

Aug 06 15 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

ernst tischler wrote:

You seem to want to fault the people who live in the rural areas for the meth labs.  I live a rural area about an hour and a half from Houston.  The majority of the people being arrested around here for running meth labs are from Houston and the locals arrested are teenagers the people from Houston hired and trained.  Then they take the meth back to Houston to sell.  I guess they are selling it to all those educated city dwellers.

Gosh, so sorry that my own observations of actual police activity correlate with the experiences and statistics that others have compiled. Do some searching, you can easily find plenty of fun stuff that does not correlate to your own observations about Houston.

Here are the facts about your own state with a quote from the first page.

"Methamphetamine is a significant drug threat to Texas. High purity, low cost methamphetamine is readily available, and the drug is widely abused, particularly in rural areas. Methamphetamine produced in Mexico is the predominant type available. Locally produced methamphetamine also is available and is becoming more prevalent. Methamphetamine production in Texas is increasing, as is the number of methamphetamine laboratories being seized by law enforcement officials."

From
http://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs5/5624/meth.htm

Here is a quote from the link below regarding meth labs and use in Missouri, first page after the cover.

"Rural communities disproportionately carry this burden, as they have higher rates of small clandestine meth lab production, as well as higher rates of persons entering substance abuse treatment for meth."

http://www.mffh.org/mm/files/methmissourireport.pdf

I can find similar documents for every state in the Union and they will all say the same thing. Rural areas are hotbeds of meth labs and meth users. Oregon has made it much more difficult to obtain the ingredients needed in the state (ephedrine and pseudo-ephedrine), this has resulted in increased traffic in Mexican meth but the primary user base is still rural. Here are some other quotes from yet another link.

"Mexican-produced meth regularly makes its way into Arkansas drug markets, and the state's rural landscape provides an ideal home for a large number of local manufacturers."

"Methamphetamine is the primary drug of concern in the rural areas of Illinois, although it has not yet made significant inroads into the more urban population centers."

"Methamphetamine is a dramatically increasing threat in Kentucky, particularly in the rural areas of the state where local production of the drug is rampant."

"Methamphetamine is not yet a major drug threat in Maine, although its rural landscape makes it ripe for exploitation by manufacturers of the drug."

"Although the majority of meth in circulation in Nebraska is provided by Mexican traffickers, the rural nature of the state makes it a prime location for exploitation by "mom and pop" manufacturers of the drug, who need easy access to anhydrous ammonia, a type of fertilizer often found on farms and a key chimical used in the manufacture of meth."

"The market for meth in New York is divided into two camps: New York City users tend to buy the more pure "crystal" meth from West Coast traffickers, and the rural upstate population tends to buy the less pure powder product from local clandestine labs."

"Methamphetamine is the primary drug of concern in North Dakota, a predominately rural state where meth manufacturers have easy access to anhydrous ammonia, a type of fertilizer that is a key ingredient in meth production."

"While heroin remains the primary drug of choice in Pennsylvania, drug enforcement officials are increasingly concerned about the eastward spread of the meth epidemic, particularly in the rural northwestern corner of the state, which has become known as "the meth capital of Pennsylvania."

"Methamphetamine abuse is a growing problem in South Dakota, a rural, farming state, where manufacturers of the drug have easy access to large amounts of the ammonia fertilizers necessary for running a meth lab. "

"Although methamphetamine is not as serious a problem for Virginia as cocaine or heroin, it is quickly making inroads, particularly in the rural Shenandoah Valley region, and the two indicators used to measure the growth of the epidemic, clandestine lab seizures and meth treatment admissions, show increases every year."

"Methamphetamine, a drug known to hit rural areas the hardest, is a major problem in the largely rural state of West Virginia. "

"Recently, the rural communities in western Wisconsin have begun to feel the westward spread of the meth epidemic, although the drug has not yet made inroads to the state's larger cities."

Aug 06 15 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

ernst tischler wrote:
Your statements continue to show the elitist attitude that my relatives tell me is running the state of Oregon.

Oh and people like your relatives don't have their own attitude about educated people ? Hypocrisy much ?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/fb/98/d9/fb98d9a9f618d4943b55ffdcf1cc8de9.jpg

ernst tischler wrote:
With the exceptions of the three counties in south east Oregon, the map shows the poverty levels in central and northeastern Oregon (the areas I have been talking about here) is the same as the coast, Willamette Valley and Portland areas.  That is most likely not exactly what you were trying to show with that map.

False. Count the counties and percentage in different areas and you will come with the correct assessment.
A word that might help you see truths: Facts.

ernst tischler wrote:
This chart shows that public universities located in central and eastern Oregon receive only 14.3% of the total state funding.  With the exception of OSU Cascades, the percentage of tuition funded is about equal across the board.  Probably not exactly what you were trying to show there either.

Shows  exactly the point that rural areas receive more govt aid, percentage wise.  You need to learn what statistics are and how they relate to progressive Govt policies that help the disadvantaged.

Aug 06 15 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

ernst tischler wrote:
...especially when they don't help.  LOL

Of course, statistics don't help those who can't figure them out.

https://i.imgflip.com/94v22.jpg

Aug 06 15 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Bobby C wrote:

This doesn't belong here .

Sep 19 15 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

O'possum, my possum.

Sep 20 15 11:27 am Link