Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Do I have the right look?

Model

Emd

Los Angeles, California, US

So I ini posted this in serious critique but it got removed...so I tried general...but some people are saying to move it back to critique so they can give me some criticism smile lol so here it is again (sorry if you've seen this post a couple times I'm trying to post it on the correct place lol)

So I've submitted photos to every legit /big agency out there...even overseas. I want to be a full time model... I'm having noooo luck.... I had a big agency in nyc email me after my submissions wanting to meet with me and of course I said yes md we decided on a time and like twenty minutes later they cancelled and said "we decided you do not have the right look for us" ....I had the right look a few minutes ago...? I emailed asking for any feedback on what I should work on but I haven't recieved a response yet. I was SO excited to get this chance and then bam gone! This has happened before too...I usually just get told no once I submit photos because I seem to not have the right "look" for anyone. My measurements seems to be fine..34-24-36...35.75 lol. But ugh I don't know what to do.

Aug 14 15 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Well you are definitely a beautiful woman and have a gorgeous face. I have no clue as to whether you have a look that would sell in the fashion industry. I only know that fashion is very competitive and very picky. I would also assume (but don't know this for a fact) that what is in demand changes constantly.

When you submit photos to agencies, are you using the ones that are currently in your MM port?  If so, that is surely working against you.  I would suggest hiring a professional photographer who knows what types of images the agencies want to see. There is a lot of competition, the agencies have many, many candidates to select from. In order to have a legitimate chance, you should present yourself in the best, most professional way that you possibly can. Your competitors are doing so...

Modelling is done on all levels from TF on MM, up to the top fashion models jetting around the world and appearing on magazine covers. It may not be possible to simply start at the top.  Even though you might hear stories where this has happened, it would be very rare.  But you can be a model, you just need to find a level where you can get started. Be professional, have a positive attitude, network,  learn the things that models need to know (posture, posing, movement, skin care, hair/makeup, etc etc), and see where it takes you...

Good luck

P.S. just for MM purposes, and until you get some better photos,  I would suggest changing your avatar to the one below, cropped to just below the bust line. Although it would be better without the hat, I think this pic shows the beauty of your face better than the others currently in your port.  Your profile here needs better pics, ones that accentuate both your beauty and your physique.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150219/08/54e615e6bd3db_m.jpg

EDIT: Check out this gentleman's excellent MM pages https://www.modelmayhem.com/5058
On the profile page are links to well written articles about commercial modelling, dealing with agencies, editorial modelling, getting started in modelling, etc., In his portfolio are examples of beautiful high quality head shots, about 1/2 way down the page, and much more.

Aug 15 15 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

roger alan wrote:
When you submit photos to agencies, are you using the ones that are currently in your MM port?  If so, that is surely working against you.  I would suggest hiring a professional photographer who knows what types of images the agencies want to see. There is a lot of competition, the agencies have many, many candidates to select from. In order to have a legitimate chance, you should present yourself in the best, most professional way that you possibly can. Your competitors are doing so...

Your posts have gotten some critiques in the past but I do not see any real change in the photos in your portfolio.

Quality images will go along way in strengthening your portfolio.

When shopping for groceries I'll bet you go for the best looking fruit, and vegetables, if they don't look right you will probably pass. So the idea for modeling photos is if you will post sub par images either due to modeling or posing then the over all quality is diminished, and people will be more likely to pass.

I wish you well

Aug 28 15 06:43 am Link

Photographer

HO Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

My own opinions only:

Nothing wrong with your look. You may or may not "fit" every agency stat-wise but nothing about your appearance says "I wouldn't expect her to find an agency or work" based on your photos. I really like your look, in fact.

I would try and make the port more selective, you've got some shots that shine and you don't need weaker ones from the same shoot alongside. Keep shooting, be picky about who you work with. Photographers, hair, makeup -- build strong teams. Don't be shy about scheduling with good people, you DO have a good look and they should be able to see value in working with you. Keep building the port, keep submitting smile

You SHOULD think hard about / thoughtfully educate yourself about a) what styles of shot you see on agency websites: what kind of expressions, what kind of styling, what kind of "look" and b) which shots of you are the most flattering/eye catching and why. If you build your port exclusively from the one unforgettable shot from each shoot, you'll do ok.

Alternative additional suggestion/random thought, since you seem to have your heart in this: Maybe move to a town with more photographers to choose from, and the opportunity to shoot basically all the time? Like NY or LA? I mean if you are really determined... stop waiting around in Ellicot, MD and go get what you want. Not possible for everyone, and I don't know you or your situation. Just thought I'd throw this out there.

It's one thing I love about LA... Lots of people are out here grinding; coming from every big and little town in America and abroad, waiting tables or working at a grocery store or whatever, pursuing their creative dreams (and in the case of models) shooting whenever they can (i.e., 2, 3, 5 times a week), taking freelance modeling jobs, doing TF, developing their skill set. That seems to me the most straightforward route to achieving what you want.

Oct 11 15 09:51 pm Link