Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Eyelash extensions HELP & Advice

Model

Ophelia T

New York, New York, US

So I cried after 5 hours of getting my first eyelash extensions. I was wondering if anyone had this happen to them? And if it really affects the glue? If so, how quick will they start shedding? I'm wondering if I should go back to the salon to get them fixed up right away since it's within 24 hours.

Also, what are your thoughts on eye lash extensions? I got them because I'm also an actress, so I felt they look a lot better when I am doing crying scenes as the edges won't fall off due to watery eyes so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I also think they look better on screen. But I'm wondering if really the cons outweight the pros? Are they really really bad for your lashes? I'm still considering if I should keep this up monthly. Thank you so much! Any input or advice would be very very helpful!

Oct 08 15 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

twinzluvagrl wrote:
So I cried after 5 hours of getting my first eyelash extensions. I was wondering if anyone had this happen to them? And if it really affects the glue? If so, how quick will they start shedding? I'm wondering if I should go back to the salon to get them fixed up right away since it's within 24 hours.

Also, what are your thoughts on eye lash extensions? I got them because I'm also an actress, so I felt they look a lot better when I am doing crying scenes as the edges won't fall off due to watery eyes so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I also think they look better on screen. But I'm wondering if really the cons outweight the pros? Are they really really bad for your lashes? I'm still considering if I should keep this up monthly. Thank you so much! Any input or advice would be very very helpful!

Did you have your lash extensions applied by a licensed (In NY) esthetician?  Did they explain the risks and side effects involved? 

licensing requirements for applying lash extensions varies greatly from state to state... being certified by a lash extension vendor does not automatically make one a competent or legally qualified lash technician... One of my instructors was "certified" by a lash extension vendor but she was also a licensed esthetician...

At a minimum I would recommend doing a patch test with the adhesive to be used and wait 24 hours before moving forward... Some of the adhesives used for lash extensions are known to contain Formaldehyde... that would be a game changer in my humble opinion...

Image enhancement procedures are not without risk... know what they are BEFORE you consider the aforementioned...

Hope this helps...

Oct 09 15 11:43 am Link

Model

Ophelia T

New York, New York, US

Thanks for your help. I wasn't crying because I was in pain or the lashes bothered me. It was just something personal. Thanks smile

Oct 10 15 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

twinzluvagrl wrote:
Thanks for your help. I wasn't crying because I was in pain or the lashes bothered me. It was just something personal. Thanks smile

OMG!  I thought it was a reaction to the adhesive... Silly me...

btw, I always recommend TEMPTU S/B airbrush makeup to brides who believe they may be at risk of crying a lot... Yes this is rather common and understandably so... TEMPTU S/B is so tenacious that brides can't cry it off... so if you feel you're a candid for a tearful stage event or while being filmed I highly recommend this product...

How long will  eyelash extensions last?  Everyone is different and every vendor has their own formula so your mileage may vary... but four to six weeks (or longer) is normal...  That said I trust that the lash tech informed you to sleep on your back for the first couple of days... yes this matters since the adhesive can take up to 48 hours to complete set... after that no worries about sleeping position...  Didn't the lash tech give you a list of instructions on how best to care for your extensions?

Hope this helps...

Oct 10 15 08:46 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

In my port, I did an advertisement for eyelash extensions.  The work was great, the owner of the business did a great job and they looked natural.  Currently there is no regulation on this kind of thing and many cosmetologists are doing it without the proper training and it's not good at all. 

I did an another eyelash extension gig with another company, this time a large company.  Well, I had a reaction to the glue and it was a nightmare.  My eye swelled and without going to said place to get the dissolving agent which takes 10 seconds to remove, you're stuck with them unless you use olive oil for hours to loosen the glue.

I was 5 hours from home on another shoot in agony!

Thoughts?  Well, let's forget about the expense.  Use organic castor oil on your lashes.  It helps hair grow.  Latisse is supposed to be more than amazing but you have to keep using it to keep the results.  Personally I don't like something fake on me and the maintenance of it.  There is always fiber-extending mascara which you can buy in Sephora.  The right mascara can go a long way used correctly.

I had a reaction to the latex glue.  I can't use the clear glue for fake strip eyelashes either.  On that note, you get natural looking lashes and cut them in a bit, adhere with black opaque eyelash glue and it looks as lovely as the 80/100/200 + versions.  If you want that 'look' 24/7 I'd invest in latisse than deal with extensions. Plus with no makeup, they look natural because they are.

Oct 11 15 12:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

It's rarely that I've worked on talent that has extensions that looked good, which makes me think that finding someone talented enough to do these well is difficult. More often than not I'm having to work around and/or fix bad lash extensions to achieve the look required for a job. Mascara and false lashes are far safer and look better, can even be made to look imperceptible. Extensions almost always look...like extensions.

Oct 16 15 10:21 am Link

Model

Ophelia T

New York, New York, US

Thanks everyone for the replies! I have 2 more extensions for my package and I guess I'll likely stick to my every day falsies even though they're trouble after that. (Unless, for something special or when I'm lazy I'll reach out for extensions again) Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it! big_smile

Oct 20 15 11:06 pm Link

Model

Ophelia T

New York, New York, US

Jules NYC wrote:
In my port, I did an advertisement for eyelash extensions.  The work was great, the owner of the business did a great job and they looked natural.  Currently there is no regulation on this kind of thing and many cosmetologists are doing it without the proper training and it's not good at all. 

I did an another eyelash extension gig with another company, this time a large company.  Well, I had a reaction to the glue and it was a nightmare.  My eye swelled and without going to said place to get the dissolving agent which takes 10 seconds to remove, you're stuck with them unless you use olive oil for hours to loosen the glue.

I was 5 hours from home on another shoot in agony!

Thoughts?  Well, let's forget about the expense.  Use organic castor oil on your lashes.  It helps hair grow.  Latisse is supposed to be more than amazing but you have to keep using it to keep the results.  Personally I don't like something fake on me and the maintenance of it.  There is always fiber-extending mascara which you can buy in Sephora.  The right mascara can go a long way used correctly.

I had a reaction to the latex glue.  I can't use the clear glue for fake strip eyelashes either.  On that note, you get natural looking lashes and cut them in a bit, adhere with black opaque eyelash glue and it looks as lovely as the 80/100/200 + versions.  If you want that 'look' 24/7 I'd invest in latisse than deal with extensions. Plus with no makeup, they look natural because they are.

Hey smile I've heard of Latisse before, but I heard there are side effects? Have you used it personally and can tell me a little about it? Thank you! Oh and I think it needs to be prescribed? I researched it a while back, but can't remember all the details. Thanks big_smile

Oct 20 15 11:09 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Ophelia T wrote:
Hey smile I've heard of Latisse before, but I heard there are side effects? Have you used it personally and can tell me a little about it? Thank you! Oh and I think it needs to be prescribed? I researched it a while back, but can't remember all the details. Thanks big_smile

Different person, but there is a product called Careprost that contains the active ingredient in Latisse which makes lashes grow. Careprost is an eyedrop used to treat glaucoma, and safe to use around the eyes. I use it and do seem some notable results from it--my lashes aren't falsie-long, but they have made a marked improvement to my thin, short lashes and even having slightly longer lashes improved the look of mascara immensely.

I purchase Careprost on https://crystalbeauty101.com.ph/, which is a known reputable site in makeup and skincare online circles that I participate in. I also buy Tretinoin (Retin A) for my skin on the same site.

The main risk associated with Latisse (IIRC) is that it may cause light coloured eyes like blue or green to develop permanent brown pigmentation. My eyes are black/dark brown so this isn't a concern for me...haha.

Obviously please do your own research before trying anything, don't simply take an internet stranger's word smile

Nov 29 15 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

LeonardG Photography

San Francisco, California, US

the cost and the quality of the work matters. have had a few models with bad extensions. that was because 1 - used too much glue and 2 - not careful enough to separate and properly attached the extension to each lash. the result was the extra glue caused some clumping and the lashes didn't look natural. unfortunately, the model only thinks about how much longer the lashes looked. for beauty shots this didn't work at all.

this was sad because i do have a friend who is licensed for lash extensions and she does a great job - but the time and cost is $300 per set and that's not even very expensive, by some standards. her work looks natural and clean and i haven't seen much of that.

Nov 30 15 12:59 pm Link