Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > I am 1 in 7 Americans who struggle with hunger.

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Its true, there's barely anything to eat in my house.
Tonight I will go to bed hungry.

Mostly, because I never learned how to be an adult and go to the store but also because I waste my money on fun stuff instead of groceries.

/first world problems.

Nov 12 15 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

i don't get it. are you saying you're willing to starve yourself, while sitting at the xbox, playing video games? elaborate, por favor.

Nov 12 15 10:11 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

A couple of years ago, the first time I retired from modeling and was working as a trainer at a commercial gym chain, I was actually so poor that I didn't have money for food. I'd take the half-rotten bananas from the shake bar when they were getting ready to be thrown away, freeze and eat those mostly. I found a dollar store where you could get a bag of grits and a bag of dried beans for 50 cents each and it was like finding a little piece of heaven.

It was like my own little Great Depression in 2012.

We weren't really "trainers," in the sense that the owners didn't care if your clients were successful, only that you were earning them a lot of cash. We were basically just salespeople and you didn't have a name to the management, you had a "sales number." We were paid based on commission and the gym took 75-80% off the top.

I quit that job when I realized that if I stayed, I was going to have my phone and gas service turned off by the end of the month. It was approaching winter and you literally can't survive in New England without heat.

I'll be returning to the fitness industry during the upcoming spring/summer, because I got sooo much joy from working with clients. There was nothing like seeing the joy on their faces when they were regaining strength after surgery, or after finally losing enough weight to no longer be clinically obese, or just to feel better. I'll never be truly happy in my career until that is a daily part of my life, but I have such horrible memories of my first attempt that sometimes when I think about sending out résumés in the spring, I get this little feeling a panic in my guts.

Nov 13 15 08:36 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

I struggle with hunger too!!

Nov 13 15 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

GK photo wrote:
i don't get it. are you saying you're willing to starve yourself, while sitting at the xbox, playing video games? elaborate, por favor.

No I don't have an xbox.
I don't even play video games.

Nov 14 15 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Nov 14 15 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Just was at my Parents house.  I can feed a lot of hungry people with my leftovers.

Nov 26 15 02:33 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Robb Mann wrote:
Just was at my Parents house.  I can feed a lot of hungry people with my leftovers.

I had a bunch of leftovers too. I'll be totally content to never see another piece of "tofurky" again.

Nov 26 15 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Koryn wrote:

I'll be totally content to never see another piece of "tofurky" again.

Truer words are rarely spoken.

Nov 26 15 06:34 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Robb Mann wrote:

Truer words are rarely spoken.

It was okay for one meal, and Matthew will make sandwiches with what's left, for the next few days.

But me -- I'm all set with that.

Nov 26 15 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Koryn wrote:

I had a bunch of leftovers too. I'll be totally content to never see another piece of "tofurky" again.

Self invited guests ate most of our turkey.   smile

Nov 28 15 08:09 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I knew I was 'up and out' from my poverty days when I finally learned to 'not' freak a little if my cupboards were empty simply from not having gone to the store. It took about a decade but, one day I realized I not longer got a pang of "ahgh!" when nothing was in the house. smile

Jen

I remember when a Jam sandwich meant you take two pieces of bread with mustard and jam them together.

Dec 04 15 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Koryn wrote:
...sometimes when I think about sending out résumés in the spring, I get this little feeling a panic in my guts.

I get a big feeling of panic when it is job-hunting time. I don't know why as I've never been out of work for more than two months in my whole life.

OP I've never suffered from true hunger. Didn't know it was that prevalent!

Dec 14 15 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

This thread belongs in the other column.

Dec 18 15 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

SAND DIAL wrote:
This thread belongs in the other column.

what other column?
it's a pointless thread therefore it belongs here in sf2.

Dec 19 15 06:32 am Link