Forums > Critique > Updated Portfolio

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Any constructive comments on my latest shoots would be much appreciated smile

Nov 27 15 01:22 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Posts: 4327

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yes,

Warn people that they are going to be looking at an 18+ album for starters, then let them know there will be various states of erections in there too. Please and thanks! I think I've forgotten to state 18+ before when posting a mature album too, so it happens, I understand.

As for more critique, you have a lot of repetitive shots of the same model in similar poses. I would trim the album down from 75. As for style, it looks like you were intentionally going for that look so I won't address the model expression, lighting or contrast.

It must be my age but, wowsa, youth looks younger and younger!! However, my teen family members looks the age of some of these but, then again, just a couple years and voila, adult, so it could be my perspective and age but, the youth of this nude album was another surprise.

Jen

Nov 29 15 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Thank you Jen.

All of the models I work with are over 18 smile

Dec 02 15 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Posts: 4678

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

You seem to use on-camera flash a lot but I am not a big fan of the resultant lighting and shadows.  Also, you seem to prefer shorter focal lengths but some photos have substantial distortion as a consequence.

It might be useful to work with models with greater body awareness.  Many of the photos just look like snapshots of men without their clothes.

Dec 03 15 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Thanks Rob smile

Dec 04 15 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Posts: 10494

Olney, Maryland, US

Jen B wrote:
Warn people that they are going to be looking at an 18+ album for starters, then let them know there will be various states of erections in there too. Please and thanks! I think I've forgotten to state 18+ before when posting a mature album too, so it happens, I understand.
. . .
Jen

Nick S82 wrote:
Thank you Jen.

All of the models I work with are over 18 smile

https://www.modelmayhem.com/help/rules
https://www.modelmayhem.com/help/rules/images

Mature Elements (18+)
The following represent image elements that are allowed on Model Mayhem but must be marked "M" by their owners. These images must also follow the Model Mayhem's Worksafe rule.

- female nipple or areola
- bare buttocks (thong or not)
- bare penises that appear to be flaccid
- pubic area (whether hair is present or not)
- implied sexual activity
- bondage
- depictions of blood
- depictions of violence
- depictions of drug use
- see-through or semi-transparent clothing or body paint which shows any of the above
- profanity
- promiscuous llamas

Prohibited Elements
The following represent image elements types that are NEVER allowed to be posted on Model Mayhem.

- nude or implied nude shots of persons under the age of 18
- spread shots (vaginal or anal. Typically this is when fingers are used to spread, but other instances may be inappropriate as well.)
- penises, covered or not, that do not appear to be flaccid
- explicit sexual content
- any and all penetration of vagina or anus
- shots that emphasize primarily the genitals or anus
- shots with bodily fluids (referenced in a sexual / fetish manner)

Moderators and administrators will consider factors including, but not limited to, framing, composition, surroundings, and total effect.

Dec 04 15 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Just added another fairly big update to the portfolio. Still working with male nudes (18+) but trying now to branch into more "alternative" styles & looks, maybe evolving an element of the theatrical or evoking storytelling?

May 01 17 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Another new, fairly substantial, update of the portfolio. Attempting to develop and further explore existing themes.

Apr 03 18 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Posts: 10494

Olney, Maryland, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
You seem to use on-camera flash a lot but I am not a big fan of the resultant lighting and shadows.

You are still using on-camera flash.

Also, you should edit your original post to include the +18 warning.

Apr 03 18 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

Posts: 644

New York, New York, US

You need to read, watch videos on lighting, posing, composition and how lenses can distort features . Sorry to say, there's not one picture that looks like more than a snapshot. The environment also effects how the shots look. Standing on an unmade bed just looks amateur on non-photographer.

Really, study up on photography.

Just my 2p.

Apr 04 18 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Howard Tarragon wrote:
You need to read, watch videos on lighting, posing, composition and how lenses can distort features . Sorry to say, there's not one picture that looks like more than a snapshot. The environment also effects how the shots look. Standing on an unmade bed just looks amateur on non-photographer.

Really, study up on photography.

Just my 2p.

Thank you smile

Apr 04 18 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

New duo shoot just added to the portfolio. Really happy with this one actually.

Many thanks to Arthur & Benji smile

May 07 18 06:40 am Link

Artist/Painter

Art Hermetic

Posts: 236

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Your new duo shoots are among your most interesting work. I assume that a lot of your photography aims for a simple, snap style rather than artistic nude, so no point in talking about technique. But your duo shots have a life to them and capture a sense of contact between the models, especially the bed shot.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44095783

May 10 18 02:44 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Posts: 1136

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Mark Salo wrote:
You are still using on-camera flash.

So did Helmut Newton and Peter Gowland. So do Henrik Purrience, Testino, and quite a few other people. A lot of people think on-camera flash can't look good, or it can only do the Terry Richardson celebrity-shoot look. This is quite wrong. (Amusing so when you consider that most shots with studio flash on MM are awful..)

However, this is not great on-camera flash.

The OP should try keeping the on-camera flash down to less than 50% of the exposure (maybe by using a second flash for wall bounce) and gelling. And try the mounting the flash close to the lens axis for some shots and above the model's eye-level for others.

May 10 18 06:08 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Posts: 1136

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Art Hermetic wrote:
Your new duo shoots are among your most interesting work. I assume that a lot of your photography aims for a simple, snap style rather than artistic nude, so no point in talking about technique.

Disagree!

...Getting snapshot style to look right is bloody hard. Well, unless, possibly, you use one of those film cameras that does a lot of the work for you, especially if you use negative film. The combination of a flash very close to the axis, TTL off the film strip, and the roll-off you get from film really help, if your camera's flash system is first-rate. And even then you need skill - pros who shoot this style with film try to stay to just one film and one camera model so the quirks and tuning don't vary. Usually they're final generation 35mm premium compacts with sonnar design lenses.

May 10 18 06:09 am Link

Artist/Painter

Art Hermetic

Posts: 236

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

thiswayup wrote:
Disagree!

...Getting snapshot style to look right is bloody hard. Well, unless, possibly, you use one of those film cameras that does a lot of the work for you, especially if you use negative film. The combination of a flash very close to the axis, TTL off the film strip, and the roll-off you get from film really help, if your camera's flash system is first-rate. And even then you need skill - pros who shoot this style with film try to stay to just one film and one camera model so the quirks and tuning don't vary. Usually they're final generation 35mm premium compacts with sonnar design lenses.

Good grief, another troll who wants to critique others rather than the person asking for a critique. Perhaps you should address the OP and give your view on the homoeroticism-- Platt Lynes?

May 10 18 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Art Hermetic wrote:
Your new duo shoots are among your most interesting work. I assume that a lot of your photography aims for a simple, snap style rather than artistic nude, so no point in talking about technique. But your duo shots have a life to them and capture a sense of contact between the models, especially the bed shot.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44095783

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated smile

May 10 18 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Developed a few techniques and ideas with two returning models in the latest update smile

Jul 30 18 11:36 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Posts: 5273

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

yawn.


too repetative

Jul 30 18 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Posts: 13387

Des Moines, Iowa, US

With your current portfolio, I’d pick a different avatar and also cut your portfolio so you have fewer similar images.   Next, I’d try to expand on your lighting, background, poses, etc. to create more interest and variety.    I don’t think there’s anything wrong with focusing on male nudes, but I think you could diversify and grow from what you have been doing so far. 

All the best. .....

Jul 30 18 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Abbitt Photography wrote:
With your current portfolio, I’d pick a different avatar and also cut your portfolio so you have fewer similar images.   Next, I’d try to expand on your lighting, background, poses, etc. to create more interest and variety.    I don’t think there’s anything wrong with focusing on male nudes, but I think you could diversify and grow from what you have been doing so far. 

All the best. .....

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated smile

Jul 31 18 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Added a couple of new sets today, expanding on a few concepts that seem to have gone down reasonably well smile

Oct 02 18 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Posts: 3890

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Art Hermetic wrote:

Good grief, another troll who wants to critique others rather than the person asking for a critique. Perhaps you should address the OP and give your view on the homoeroticism-- Platt Lynes?

Some people are like that ...all talk with very little to back it up.

Oct 06 18 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Posts: 3518

Los Angeles, California, US

Your lighting is flat, and your surfaces look ugly.

Get a book on lighting and practice a few setups.

Look at the work of Richard Kern. With some technique, you could do an equivalent to what he does with women.

Oct 11 18 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Posts: 3518

Los Angeles, California, US

Mark Salo wrote:
You are still using on-camera flash.

I use on camera flash often. His problem is that he doesn't know what to do with it. His lighting is flat.

Oct 11 18 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Your lighting is flat, and your surfaces look ugly.

Get a book on lighting and practice a few setups.

Look at the work of Richard Kern. With some technique, you could do an equivalent to what he does with women.

Thank you smile

Oct 15 18 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 33301

Poulsbo, Washington, US

Jack Saul Photography wrote:
Added a couple of new sets today, expanding on a few concepts that seem to have gone down reasonably well smile

Until I looked at the number of views each image had tallied, I couldn't tell which images were the new ones.

What concepts did you expand upon?

Oct 15 18 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

2 brand new model sets added today. Feedback always appreciated smile

Jan 21 19 05:36 am Link

Photographer

DCurtis

Posts: 639

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I like this image of Elvis, his face and torso (18+) https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45033046 But his arms and hands kinda bother me.

One way around this is to have the model hold his arms behind his back.

Jan 21 19 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

DCurtis wrote:
I like this image of Elvis, his face and torso (18+) https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45033046 But his arms and hands kinda bother me.

One way around this is to have the model hold his arms behind his back.

Thank you, that's a very interesting point smile

Jan 22 19 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Couple of updates to the portfolio added this month smile

Feb 18 19 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 33301

Poulsbo, Washington, US

What concepts are you expanding upon? What's new about your recent additions, other than a different model?

Feb 18 19 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Posts: 3776

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Can't tell your new. Stuff from your old stuff.   You need work on composition and lighting badly

Feb 18 19 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Saul Photography

Posts: 41

Gillingham, England, United Kingdom

Huge revamp of the portfolio, feedback on the images selected much appreciated smile

Mar 15 19 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 33301

Poulsbo, Washington, US

Jack Saul Photography wrote:
Huge revamp of the portfolio, feedback on the images selected much appreciated smile

What's the revamp, other than adding the same flat, poorly-lighted pics of different models? Honestly, other than the number of views each image has, I can't tell your old stuff from the new.

Mar 15 19 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Posts: 2580

Los Angeles, California, US

The poor lighting angling, retouching inability, thematic lack of expression is further crushed by its the soulless sum of its parts: the work is worse than the sum of its parts.

Mar 16 19 02:25 am Link