Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > Grilled cheese and tomato soup.

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

What's your go-to comfort food/meal at home???

Dec 06 15 02:29 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

It sounds weird, but my favorite comfort food is tater tots cooked until they are very brown and hard on the outside, smothered in grits.

I make slow-cook grits, with applewood smoked salt and chipotle pepper.

Dec 06 15 02:35 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Instant mashed potatoes with cheese. It used to be pizza but I can't have that hardly at all anymore(doctor's orders).

Dec 06 15 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Chili or Beef rib soup, both are the kids Great-Grandmothers recipe.

Dec 06 15 05:21 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Koryn wrote:
It sounds weird, but my favorite comfort food is tater tots cooked until they are very brown and hard on the outside, smothered in grits.

I make slow-cook grits, with applewood smoked salt and chipotle pepper.

I succumbed to whole foods, they have the best tater tots -_-

Dec 07 15 03:41 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

grilled cheese or mac and cheese.

Dec 07 15 03:41 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Laura UnBound wrote:

I succumbed to whole foods, they have the best tater tots -_-

I like Trader Joe's tots.

I call them Trader Tots, or Trader Taters.

Dec 07 15 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

For me, tater tots are great, especially if they are cooked really well done. No salt at all for me but a small heaping of pepper and a little ketchup does it. 

My real comfort food, though, is toast that is smothered in butter and cinnamon.

Dec 07 15 05:51 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Koryn wrote:

I like Trader Joe's tots.

I call them Trader Tots, or Trader Taters.

I don't think we have a TJs here, at least not anywhere close by, maybe way way way out in the country. Surprisingly we've only got one whole foods and there isn't a canadian equivalent eating up the market.

If I make them I like them dark and crunchy on the outside, but my all time favourite tots were the school cafeteria ones. I don't know why, there wasnt anything special about them, I could just shovel them away.

Dec 07 15 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

I don't think we have a TJs here, at least not anywhere close by, maybe way way way out in the country. Surprisingly we've only got one whole foods and there isn't a canadian equivalent eating up the market.

I think it's called Trader Jacques in Canada...

Dec 08 15 02:38 am Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

Spaghetti. Unfortunately, I rarely have time to make homemade spaghetti sauce anymore. Canned sauce just isn't the same.

Dec 08 15 10:06 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

grilled cheese is more work so we tend to do tuna sandwiches and tomato soup. i prefer basic campbells although safeway has one that isn't too bad (spicier than campbells).

lately we've been having a lot of chicken pot pies. trader joes has a good one and we like KFC, too.

Dec 08 15 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Gryph

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I did try Pho today for the first time; amazing.  The guy in our group knew the owner so we got some really good service and a few extras.  Pho was only like $6.50 plus tax.  I ordered the Pho Thai.

And yes Lohkee, I am sure Hues' is probably much better, but I have not had her version yet.  The one in the picture isn't the one I ordered as I did not snap that pic.  The yellow stuff to the side is some sort of Vietnamese crepe is what I was told.  Tasty too.  I'd say it was the equivalent to the Korean seafood pancake.

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/gryphb/highres_445026202_zpsrgshrosd.jpeg

But the real highlight for me was the desert that the owner made.  He was like, do you like peanut butter and caramel?  I'm like yes.

A few minutes later.  It's ice cream in the middle.  I think the top and bottom pieces were the Taro flavor.

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/gryphb/highres_445029791_zpsgliwhu08.jpeg

That didn't last one minute after I snapped the picture.  I was too excited to eat it that I couldn't hold the phone still long enough to get a better shot of it.  Of course I was on a sugar high a short time afterwards.  It was just straight up awesomesauce.  Price: $3.75

Another pic someone else in my group took of what they ordered.

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/gryphb/highres_445026194_zpsuiqz8rrd.jpeg

Dec 13 15 12:52 am Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Plain white sticky rice, with red perilla furikake, or soy sauce, or spicy cod roe...or ramen :9

Buttery corn grits, sausage gravy, fried chicken, mashed potatoes.

Bread and butter, grilled cheese, bagels with scallion cream cheese and lox.

Basically all the things that make me gain weight at an unreasonable rate.

Jan 21 16 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Doesn't the bread get soggy?

Jan 31 16 01:50 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

MerrillMedia wrote:
Doesn't the bread get soggy?

If the grilled cheese is grilled properly then it will still be crispy after you dip it in the tomato soup if you eat it right away.

Feb 05 16 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

$5 taco plate at the Taco truck behind the Meridian Food and Gas. Your choice beef, pork or chicken.

3 tacos, beans and rice, all home-made, fresh and the red hot sauce is hot.

I could eat it every day for lunch. I'd given up on getting good Mexican food up here like I got used to in Fresno.

Feb 05 16 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Gryph wrote:
I did try Pho today for the first time; amazing.  The guy in our group knew the owner so we got some really good service and a few extras.  Pho was only like $6.50 plus tax.  I ordered the Pho Thai.

And yes Lohkee, I am sure Hues' is probably much better, but I have not had her version yet.  The one in the picture isn't the one I ordered as I did not snap that pic.  The yellow stuff to the side is some sort of Vietnamese crepe is what I was told.  Tasty too.  I'd say it was the equivalent to the Korean seafood pancake.

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/gryphb/highres_445026202_zpsrgshrosd.jpeg

But the real highlight for me was the desert that the owner made.  He was like, do you like peanut butter and caramel?  I'm like yes.

A few minutes later.  It's ice cream in the middle.  I think the top and bottom pieces were the Taro flavor.

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/gryphb/highres_445029791_zpsgliwhu08.jpeg

That didn't last one minute after I snapped the picture.  I was too excited to eat it that I couldn't hold the phone still long enough to get a better shot of it.  Of course I was on a sugar high a short time afterwards.  It was just straight up awesomesauce.  Price: $3.75

Another pic someone else in my group took of what they ordered.

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/gryphb/highres_445026194_zpsuiqz8rrd.jpeg

Damn it Gryph! What the Pho!! Now I'm  hungry.

Feb 06 16 05:06 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Laura UnBound wrote:

If I make them I like them dark and crunchy on the outside, but my all time favourite tots were the school cafeteria ones. I don't know why, there wasnt anything special about them, I could just shovel them away.

I never ate school cafeteria food, because I never liked lunch. It didn't seem sensible to eat in the middle of the day somehow.

I can't recall what any school cafeteria food tasted like.

Lunch still doesn't make sense to me, and I basically just make myself eat something. I've gone years at a time without eating from like 10am until 7pm. Food consumed during the day never digests well for me.

Feb 08 16 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Rice crispy treats made with Trixs cereal.

http://www.cravingsofalunatic.com/2012/ … spies.html

https://www.cravingsofalunatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Trix-Krispies-Cravings-of-a-Lunatic-Copyrighted-Photo.jpg

Feb 13 16 05:56 am Link