Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How much to pay a makeup assistant?

Photographer

Kelly R

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Haven't needed to use one before but I have a few large group wedding bookings coming up (6+ people).. so may be a good idea.. We'd be using all my kit and I'd be driving both of us (1 location is an hour away) so they'd just need to bring themselves.. Do you, personally when you hire someone, tend to pay by the hour or by percentage that you make?

Don't want to overpay but don't want to be stingy either ha ha.. Thanks in advance!

(I'm in the UK, outskirts of London if that helps)

Jan 12 16 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Sorry can't answer your question... In my neck of the woods, the bride books her own MUA and Hairstylist.  For my daughter's wedding, I had her HMUA come to the reception for touchups for the formal family photos.  She took the shine off everyone's faces.

Jan 12 16 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Kelly R

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Oops sorry my fault- I should have been clearer as I didn't realise that I was logged into my photography account- I also do makeup!
So this would be me as makeup artist needing an assistant

kelly-melissa.com

Jan 12 16 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

kelly melissa wrote:
Oops sorry my fault- I should have been clearer as I didn't realise that I was logged into my photography account- I also do makeup!
So this would be me as makeup artist needing an assistant

kelly-melissa.com

If the wedding party is large enough or you aren't given sufficient time to do x amount of people and the assistant is also doing make-up then the cost should be for 2 MUAs.  I had 1 MUA for the bride, 2 bridesmaids and me (Mother of the bride)  She did both hair and make-up and told us how much time she would need in order to get us out the door on time.

Jan 12 16 05:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Assistant(s) are important and having a good one are hard to find because they can make your life easier.  when you hire an assistant for makeup (especially for weddings), make sure they are reliable and know what they are doing.  Do not skimp out on money because a good assistant is like your right hand (or left). I've worked with many different assistants and some are a nightmare while some are lifesavers.

When I work at large events, my main assistant would take care of bulk of the work and details allowing my time to deal with the clients and other headaches. I make sure I compensate them well because I want them feeling properly taken care of and not taken advantage. More importantly, I want them working with me again.

As for payment, I usually offer a lump sum (assuming I know time required), but often things do run behind schedule so I usually pay a little more to compensate for extra time spent.

Jan 12 16 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

kelly melissa wrote:
(I'm in the UK, outskirts of London if that helps)

Yes in as every market is different and additionally market dynamics shift radically during the year... a.k.a. hiring a bridal makeup artist or hair stylist in June is akin to mission impossible and their rate reflect this...

kelly melissa wrote:
Haven't needed to use one before but I have a few large group wedding bookings coming up (6+ people).. so may be a good idea..

Kelly one of the barriers to entry into bridal is having a tenured team... you'll not likely be competitive in my market (Washington, DC) without an established team...

kelly melissa wrote:
We'd be using all my kit...

This is so very wrong! A makeup artist working at a commercial level would never 1. Share their tools/product with an unknown entity 2. An assistant would need to provide their own tools... however if you are providing new product in sealed packaging or the client is providing their own product for medical issues then that would be understandable...

kelly melissa wrote:
...Do you, personally when you hire someone, tend to pay by the hour or by percentage that you make?

Kelly let me share my journey in bridal with you... After bidding/winning several wedding jobs it became painfully apparent that going the solo route was not a rational option... At that juncture I chose to train one of my colleagues (a tenured fashion model) who had repeatedly expressed interest in learning/mastering makeup artistry... I Bought her a complete kit (Mary has great options for those coming out of the gate) and started her as an assistant (cleanse, tone, moisturize, prime) then let her do foundation once she was comfortable working with talent... after assisting on many many shoots I began booking large bridal parties and the rest is history... However please keep in mind that I hold a cosmetologist license in makeup artistry and used much of my training materials in bringing this artist up to speed... Here are examples of her work...

As for recompense for your team? I build their fee into my initial bid... this is never an issue...

Hope this helps...
Or at least is food for thought...
btw, here is the dark side of being a commercial makeup artist...
Understand the legal ramifications of Non-Compete Clauses in your jurisdiction before you enter into any contractual agreement with an assistant... Experience is a brutal teacher...  You've been warned...

Jan 13 16 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Kelly R

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ok sorry I didn't understand half of that lol. We'd be using my makeup kit for bridal (not commercial) because:
1. I'd rather they didn't use products I wasn't used to, or even worse, have them bring complete rubbish products
2. They won't really be doing makeup as such but helping with washing brushes, skin prep etc etc to help cut down on time
3. I would have guessed that then bringing their own kit means I'd have to pay them even more on top than if they weren't using theirs

I don't know what you mean by 'established team' for bridal makeup.. Usually I do makeup and the client chooses her own hairstylist, photographer etc. I haven't needed ah assistant before because groups have been small enough for me to handle on my own, such as up to 5 people. This wedding booking has 7 ladies.

Raw- beauty, how do you tell apart the good ones from the rubbish ones before you start lol? I would've thought by asking them to do a trial run/ show me how they apply beforehand, but not sure if that's a bit cheeky..

Thank you all got your answers, but more to the point, no one has actually answered the one question I asked in the first place so.. Is 50GBP enough for 3-4 hours worth? If anyone around bucks/ herts/ London could also tell me their opinion I'd appreciate it smile

Jan 13 16 08:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

kelly melissa wrote:
Ok sorry I didn't understand half of that lol. We'd be using my makeup kit for bridal (not commercial) because:
1. I'd rather they didn't use products I wasn't used to, or even worse, have them bring complete rubbish products
2. They won't really be doing makeup as such but helping with washing brushes, skin prep etc etc to help cut down on time
3. I would have guessed that then bringing their own kit means I'd have to pay them even more on top than if they weren't using theirs

I don't know what you mean by 'established team' for bridal makeup.. Usually I do makeup and the client chooses her own hairstylist, photographer etc. I haven't needed ah assistant before because groups have been small enough for me to handle on my own, such as up to 5 people. This wedding booking has 7 ladies.

Raw- beauty, how do you tell apart the good ones from the rubbish ones before you start lol? I would've thought by asking them to do a trial run/ show me how they apply beforehand, but not sure if that's a bit cheeky..

Thank you all got your answers, but more to the point, no one has actually answered the one question I asked in the first place so.. Is 50GBP enough for 3-4 hours worth? If anyone around bucks/ herts/ London could also tell me their opinion I'd appreciate it smile

based on your original posting I assumed you were looking for long term team "established team" at professional level.

If you are simply looking for someone to help wash brushes, skin prep and using your kit, then it is like general labor and there are plenty of ways you can find help. Cost-wise, it's probably better to pay per hour.  I am not sure what is the minimum wage for your area but if you are paying them $50 for 4 hours, that would be $12.50 /hr. For short hours, I would pay at least 1.5x more than minimum to help offset travel and time spent.

Finding assistants you never met, is hard to know who are the good ones from rubbish ones. You can ask them for trial-run but this depends on how much time or travel required.  I usually get new assistant based on referrals or events we both worked at where I can see their skills.

Jan 14 16 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Kelly R

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Raw-Beauty wrote:

based on your original posting I assumed you were looking for long term team "established team" at professional level.

If you are simply looking for someone to help wash brushes, skin prep and using your kit, then it is like general labor and there are plenty of ways you can find help. Cost-wise, it's probably better to pay per hour.  I am not sure what is the minimum wage for your area but if you are paying them $50 for 4 hours, that would be $12.50 /hr. For short hours, I would pay at least 1.5x more than minimum to help offset travel and time spent.

Finding assistants you never met, is hard to know who are the good ones from rubbish ones. You can ask them for trial-run but this depends on how much time or travel required.  I usually get new assistant based on referrals or events we both worked at where I can see their skills.

Makes sense, thank you for the advice! smile

Jan 19 16 08:56 am Link