Forums > Model Colloquy > The Squatting Pose

Photographer

EdAlemanPhotography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I know that I'll reach most people far and wide with this and since I'm new, I'd like to apologize if this has been asked before. Does it drive any other photographers nuts, crazy, etc when the model insists on doing the squatting pose? I've got 1 on my page and the more that I look at it, the more it bothers me. Honestly, it looks like the model is taking a crap on the toilet but for some reason, models think it shows off their booty.

Aug 24 16 08:50 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

CrossFitNCake wrote:
I know that I'll reach most people far and wide with this and since I'm new, I'd like to apologize if this has been asked before. Does it drive any other photographers nuts, crazy, etc when the model insists on doing the squatting pose? I've got 1 on my page and the more that I look at it, the more it bothers me. Honestly, it looks like the model is taking a crap on the toilet but for some reason, models think it shows off their booty.

Some people totally love that pose because it shows off the curves of a model's hips and bottom nicely, but others hate it. I can take it or leave it, but it's not a pose that I usually include while modelling unless I am specifically asked for it. I'd much rather bend over, or sit with my bottom hanging over the edge of a chair, table, or log.

Just because any given model insists on presenting that pose during a photo shoot doesn't mean you have to use that shot if you don't like it. Give it to the model and let her do what she wants to with it in her own portfolio.

Aug 24 16 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Why do you have something in your port that you don't like?

Aug 24 16 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

EdAlemanPhotography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

I was thinking of removing it but wanted to get opinions first

Aug 24 16 09:01 pm Link

Model

FallenEcho

Escondido, California, US

HA! I have the squat/shit pose in my portfolio. It actually took a fair bit of leg strength to hold that pose. tongue 

For me I actually like the way some squat poses look. It can show off curves nicely. I do see what you are saying though where it can look like a person is using taking a dump. 

If you don't like the photo don't use it. No one is forcing you to keep it are they?

Aug 24 16 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

EdAlemanPhotography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

FallenEcho wrote:
HA! I have the squat/shit pose in my portfolio. It actually took a fair bit of leg strength to hold that pose. tongue 

For me I actually like the way some squat poses look. It can show off curves nicely. I do see what you are saying though where it can look like a person is using taking a dump. 

If you don't like the photo don't use it. No one is forcing you to keep it are they?

No, but I'd feel bad since one other tog has it in his list of interesting poses. Thank you all for your help though. It has been much appreciated.

Aug 24 16 10:38 pm Link

Model

FallenEcho

Escondido, California, US

CrossFitNCake wrote:

No, but I'd feel bad since one other tog has it in his list of interesting poses. Thank you all for your help though. It has been much appreciated.

If you don't think it showcases the models or your work well don't display it. No need to feel bad about it.

Aug 24 16 10:53 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I count my lucky stars for every shoot where the photographer didn't ask me to do it. That one, or the face the camera dead-on, bend over and lean your arm on one knee with the other hand on your hip. Any time I've been instructed to squat I try to at least tweak it a bit - kick one leg out or put a knee down, turn to one side, literally anything so its not just a direct turkey-looking thing, but sometimes they're just not having any of that and really just want the squat.

Aug 25 16 12:37 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have a big butt, so people requested that pose all the time.

Aug 25 16 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

CrossFitNCake wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Capture some poses that you like and some that the model likes.  Only display the ones that you like.  It's your portfolio - you don't need to ask anyone what they like.

Aug 25 16 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

That pose can be very effective for some models, especially if they are wearing minimal clothing or none at all, and if they understand their body well enough to tweak the pose to show themselves at their best..

On the other hand, a fully clothed model without a lot of insight can end up looking like an articulated sack of potatoes.

Unfortunately, your model has placed herself in the latter category.

Aug 31 16 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Moments

San Antonio, Texas, US

That is one pose that I have never requested. So far, I have never seen an image of the squat that I did like.

I guess I would take one if the model really wanted one, but I would not use it myself.

Sep 08 16 03:46 am Link

Model

An Different Name

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Rob Photosby wrote:
That pose can be very effective for some models, especially if they are wearing minimal clothing or none at all, and if they understand their body well enough to weak the pose to show themselves at their best..

On the other hand, a fully clothed model without a lot of insight can end up looking like an articulated sack of potatoes.

Unfortunately, your model has placed herself in the latter category.

Isn't this is an unsolicited critique of the model?

Aside from how rude it is to say that she looks like "an articulated sack of potatoes", it's just inaccurate to say that she "placed herself" in that category, as if she were the sole creator of the image. Your criticism would be better directed toward the person who actually took the photo, put it in their port, and created a thread to draw negative attention to it.

OP, despite your claims that "the model insists on doing the squatting pose" and "models think it shows off their booty", the only person with this particular photo in their port is you. The way you worded your post could lead people to believe that the model in your port is difficult to work with or, as quoted above, that she's a "model without a lot of insight". It doesn't seem very fair to her.

Sep 09 16 03:18 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

A Different Name wrote:

Aside from how rude it is to say that she looks like "an articulated sack of potatoes", it's just inaccurate to say that she "placed herself" in that category, as if she were the sole creator of the image. Your criticism would be better directed toward the person who actually took the photo, put it in their port, and created a thread to draw negative attention to it.

OP, despite your claims that "the model insists on doing the squatting pose" and "models think it shows off their booty", the only person with this particular photo in their port is you. The way you worded your post could lead people to believe that the model in your port is difficult to work with or, as quoted above, that she's a "model without a lot of insight". It doesn't seem very fair to her.

Thank you. I don't know a single model who would "insist" on doing this pose.

Sep 09 16 03:50 am Link

Photographer

Laszlo M

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Well, That picture is not the models fault. You as a photographer have to compose the shot and decide if it goes or not. The black dress don't work the light and angle is wrong. You should have been at least 5-6 feet to the right to see the arch of the back for the effect required. Black dress should be off. Light, sheer, bikini, underwear to show skin. Separate the background from the model with lights. And these are just some of the problems. Definitely it is not the models "unreasonable request".
Her vision had a point but you didn't see it.

Laszlo

Sep 24 16 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

FallenEcho wrote:

The pose looks uncomfortable due to the evidence of stress in the knees and the compression of leg muscles. Joints at sharp or unnatural angles will put many people off an image even if they're not sure why.

Sep 25 16 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

I  avoid that pose because I have trouble getting up.

Sep 25 16 01:36 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

CrossFitNCake wrote:
Does it drive any other photographers nuts, crazy, etc when the model insists on doing the squatting pose?

I'm the one who tells my models which poses I want and which poses I do not want... If necessary I wait until the attack passes by.

Sep 25 16 03:16 am Link

Model

- Auroraa -

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I really dislike that pose. I was only asked to do it maybe a few times throughout my 4 year modeling career and I politely refused it.

Oct 11 16 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

The OP supposedly doesn't like it, the opinions have been universally negative, it is not part of a list mentioned on the image even though supposedly *one* other photographer has it in his list of interesting poses, yet it is still in his portfolio almost two months later. Conclusion - It really didn't bother him that much.

Oct 12 16 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

I often have images in my port that I don't like because I see that most people like. So I mix what I like and what I think or see what most people like.

Oct 17 16 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Ruddick

London, Ontario, Canada

Nothing wrong with the squatting pose.

http://www.markruddick.com/womens-fitne … 24g8xzcbsh

Oct 18 16 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Any pose can work if executed appropriately.  I will not comment on if you've done it effectively as that's for a different forum.

Just as any lighting can work if executed appropriately, or any location, or any prop.  It's simply finding how something can work and then doing that.  While this pose isn't one of my favorites, I'm fairly certain that I've shot it scores of times and probably even well a few times.

Oct 30 16 08:51 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

CrossFitNCake wrote:

Cross, funny you should ask that. I looked at your port and the shot in question has the most views, and almost twice as many views as its nearest count. I base what stays in and what goes out of my port by the number of views, not what I like and don't like. Now granted, none of my pics get a lot of views!
I have several variations of that in my port. When I have done it now more recently, usually the models request not mine, I have instructed them to not go ALL the way down but to leave just a little light between the legs and butt and it actually is MUCH better that way. Much nicer roundness!!  John

Oct 30 16 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

CrossFitNCake wrote:

I think that listing may have been withdrawn since I don't see a list on it anymore, and it wasn't me.

My list looks like this: https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/616674 "Curved Correctly! ;-)" and yours never was on it because there was too much material obscuring the lines I was looking for. ;-)

Let me address the original concern. Despite my international experience to middle eastern and far eastern countries and my knowledge of the elimination process, and although I consider myself good at pattern recognition, even after you pointed out your objections, as I reviewed your image and my list of images, I sincerely fail to see any objectionable scatalogical inferences. ;-)

From my perspective, IMHO, some how I think you're perceiving a bogey man that doesn't exist. ;-)

If model insists--shoot it. Move on.

I know some will yell at me for this but I'll suggest it anyway. For those shots you affirmatively don't want, you might negotiate, and say, "I have no desire for these shots, I'll shoot in on a separate card and you can have them to do with as you wish--and I need no credit."

Oh, and my password-protected album--that's were I put things that people &/or I don't like! So don't ask me for the password. Nothing to see, move along! ;-) But that's what you could do with that image--keep but not display.

The views expressed here are my own m.o. and may not reflect the norms, mores and customs of MM, modeling, and/or photography.

Oct 30 16 09:52 pm Link

Model

Jody Marie

Summerlin South, Nevada, US

Thank you. I am the model in this picture and NEVER INSISTED this pose. This is totally unprofessional of the photographer.

Lisa Everhart wrote:

Thank you. I don't know a single model who would "insist" on doing this pose.

Oct 31 16 09:41 am Link

Model

Jody Marie

Thank you very much for defending me. I have executed this shot perfectly with the right angle and lighting. I worked with this photographer as a KIND favor as I have 3 years modeling experience and he was a first time photographer. I did NOT have to shoot with him but did it out of the kindness of my heart. I have not used the pictures in my port because they did not benefit me. I am baffled by the rude comments I have received from this thread and I am thankful for you photographers who stand up on my behalf. I did not INSIST this pose and definitely did not do it to show off my booty ( because I lack in that area). I just wanted to say thanks again for standing up on my behalf. <3

Studio 1489 Laszlo wrote:
Well, That picture is not the models fault. You as a photographer have to compose the shot and decide if it goes or not. The black dress don't work the light and angle is wrong. You should have been at least 5-6 feet to the right to see the arch of the back for the effect required. Black dress should be off. Light, sheer, bikini, underwear to show skin. Separate the background from the model with lights. And these are just some of the problems. Definitely it is not the models "unreasonable request".
Her vision had a point but you didn't see it.

Laszlo

Oct 31 16 09:53 am Link

Model

Jody Marie

Thank you very much for defending me. This thread was brought to my attention from another photographer. To clear things up, I never INSISTED this pose, I lack a booty so it definitely was not for that, and I shot with this new photographer as a favor. I am a model of 3 years and have never had a problem. If a photographer does not like a pose, ask the model to do something different or do not post it. I have not used any of these shots in my portfolio as they did not benefit me. It was solely as a favor. I find this beyond rude that he brought negativity to my modeling and to my Model Mayhem. I am in complete disgust that anybody would talk so negative about something that could have been prevented with the right photographer. I have executed this shot PERFECTLY with other photographers.

Again, from the bottom of my heart...thank you for standing up for me! It is truly disturbing that one would take it this far and bring negativity to my page. I have worked with over 150 models and EVERYONE would say I was a pleasure to work with and had great posing techniques.
<3

A Different Name wrote:

Oct 31 16 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

CrossFitNCake wrote:

My opinion is that it's one of your strongest shots.

Oct 31 16 10:51 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Jody Marie  wrote:
This thread was brought to my attention from another photographer. To clear things up, I never INSISTED this pose, I lack a booty so it definitely was not for that, and I shot with this new photographer as a favor.

The recommended resolution in cases such as this involves the use of a cricket bat applied forcefully to the nether regions. Depending on the circumstances such treatment might also fall to be meted out to the photographer who drew your attention to this thread.
smile

Oct 31 16 11:15 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

I'm not sure what you are calling squatting pose. I thought when I 1st read this thread you had an example in which i did not consider a squatting pose.

There are some great lines from sitting on your feet and calves. That is not a squatting pose.

Oct 31 16 11:33 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

FFantastique wrote:

I think that listing may have been withdrawn since I don't see a list on it anymore, and it wasn't me.

My list looks like this: https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/616674 "Curved Correctly! ;-)" and yours never was on it because there was too much material obscuring the lines I was looking for. ;-)

Let me address the original concern. Despite my international experience to middle eastern and far eastern countries and my knowledge of the elimination process, and although I consider myself good at pattern recognition, even after you pointed out your objections, as I reviewed your image and my list of images, I sincerely fail to see any objectionable scatalogical inferences. ;-)

From my perspective, IMHO, some how I think you're perceiving a bogey man that doesn't exist. ;-)

If model insists--shoot it. Move on.

I know some will yell at me for this but I'll suggest it anyway. For those shots you affirmatively don't want, you might negotiate, and say, "I have no desire for these shots, I'll shoot in on a separate card and you can have them to do with as you wish--and I need no credit."

Oh, and my password-protected album--that's were I put things that people &/or I don't like! So don't ask me for the password. Nothing to see, move along! ;-) But that's what you could do with that image--keep but not display.

The views expressed here are my own m.o. and may not reflect the norms, mores and customs of MM, modeling, and/or photography.

I only seen 2  poses in all the examples you showed that I think would be considered squatting poses.

Oct 31 16 11:36 am Link

Model

An Different Name

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Jody Marie wrote:
Thank you very much for defending me. This thread was brought to my attention from another photographer. To clear things up, I never INSISTED this pose, I lack a booty so it definitely was not for that, and I shot with this new photographer as a favor. I am a model of 3 years and have never had a problem. If a photographer does not like a pose, ask the model to do something different or do not post it. I have not used any of these shots in my portfolio as they did not benefit me. It was solely as a favor. I find this beyond rude that he brought negativity to my modeling and to my Model Mayhem. I am in complete disgust that anybody would talk so negative about something that could have been prevented with the right photographer. I have executed this shot PERFECTLY with other photographers.

Again, from the bottom of my heart...thank you for standing up for me! It is truly disturbing that one would take it this far and bring negativity to my page. I have worked with over 150 models and EVERYONE would say I was a pleasure to work with and had great posing techniques.
<3

You're very welcome! I'm sorry this happened to you, especially after a shoot you did as a favour and received nothing beneficial from. It was very unprofessional and unpleasant of the OP to create this thread, and for the other photographer to make the rude comment I replied to.

It's clear from your portfolio and credited photos that you're an experienced model capable of creating beautiful poses. If anyone's opinion of you was negatively influenced by the OP's comments, they're probably not the kind of person you want to work with anyway. Best of luck and keep up the great work!

Nov 02 16 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

some people want to see something in an image and see it in a way others do not...oh well.....and....always marketing with controversy...just sayin...Mo.

Nov 03 16 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

gary yong

Beijing, Beijing, China

The pose looks very attractive and i asked my model  did it before

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39759021

Nov 09 17 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

CrossFitNCake wrote:

Your opinion is the only one that matters as far as what images are in your portfolio.

Jan 19 18 09:17 pm Link

Model

Miss 5 11

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Apr 23 18 05:42 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Miss 5 11 wrote:
It's never bothered me

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/42600972

Hi,

I tried to open it but it is password protected.

Jen
p.s. I'm sure it is lovely though

Apr 24 18 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

It has never occurred to me to ask for a squatting pose.
I can see where it can be tough to make the pose look good.

Apr 26 18 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

CrossFitNCake wrote:
....when the model insists on doing the squatting pose?.

If it’s a TF shoot, I spend time shooting what the model wants, regardless of how I feel about it, and of course I feel no obligation to use any of these shots in my portfolio. 

If I’m paying a model with a specific shoot objective, I keep the poses focused on that objective.   It’s your shoot, have a plan, and stick to it.  If the model isn’t posing the way you want, don’t push the trigger until she is.  The model didn’t force you to take squatting shots you didn’t want to. You chose to take those shots.  Choose differently.

Apr 26 18 06:59 am Link