Forums > Model Colloquy > Is Premium or VIP worth it for models?

Model

CrissyKay

Fishkill, New York, US

I can see how VIP can help photographers or MUAs get more out of MM, but does it help you guys actually book more paid gigs than you did when you just had the basic account? Have any of you done VIP in the past and gone back to the basic account?
I'm in San Diego, so there aren't a ton of paid gigs here unless I commute to LA. I'm wondering if upgrading will allow me to get more paid castings here in San Diego and if I'll be more likely to book gigs that cover travel expenses. I'm on the fence about whether to upgrade. If I do, how long should I keep it to see a higher booking rate?
Thanks  for your help with my deliberation!

Oct 02 16 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

For you probably not. I would suggest you find an agency.

Oct 03 16 02:59 am Link

Model

Sabryna S

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Having VIP / Premium was pretty cool because it allowed me to add more photos and be able to format my profile a little better, but I don't think it really made a difference in how many photographers contact me offering paid shoots and whatnot, but that could be simply due to where I live and how most photographers in my area are looking for TF shoots. I downgraded to Basic since I didn't see much point in it anymore since it wasn't making that much of a difference for me. But that's just my experience.

Oct 03 16 11:26 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

CrissyKayD wrote:
I can see how VIP can help photographers or MUAs get more out of MM, but does it help you guys actually book more paid gigs than you did when you just had the basic account? Have any of you done VIP in the past and gone back to the basic account?
I'm in San Diego, so there aren't a ton of paid gigs here unless I commute to LA. I'm wondering if upgrading will allow me to get more paid castings here in San Diego and if I'll be more likely to book gigs that cover travel expenses. I'm on the fence about whether to upgrade. If I do, how long should I keep it to see a higher booking rate?

I book a lot more - having a VIP account became a necessity for me. But, I travel a lot, and being able to have folders for different emails was necessary. And I have so many photos, having different categories was also very helpful. I can also send out more emails with this account. So, if you wanted to travel, it would be a good thing to have.

If you're looking to stay in one area though, then it is not worth the expense. You'd be able to have more photos in your portfolio, that's about it. But, you could also just have an external website of some sort to link to and post more work there. So, for you, I don't think it would be much help in the way of booking more work.

Oct 03 16 03:18 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Having the ability to show more photos in a portfolio, and the number of private messages you can send in one day, are both advantages that some people find useful.  Are you going to be using a significant number of photo slots, or do you plan to message many times per day seeking work? 

Among the best ways to get people to view your portfolio would include being active in the forums, and leaving comments on photos you like, and tags on profiles. With hundreds of thousands of members on Model Mayhem, it's unlikely anyone will randomly find your profile unless they are specifically searching for a model in your location. Having a higher level of membership still won't get them there, although VIP members are randomly shown on the main page.

Oct 03 16 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

"Having the ability to show more photos in a portfolio" increases the chance that I will see an image that speaks to me.  However, too many may just be clutter.

"the number of private messages you can send in one day."  Certainly will be important.

"With hundreds of thousands of members on Model Mayhem, it's unlikely anyone will randomly find your profile unless they are specifically searching for a model in your location. Having a higher level of membership..." ...will allow you to list three locations.

Oct 03 16 04:15 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The ability to post more photos is nice but it's not necessary to booking decent work, people have a pretty good idea if they want to work with you or not after just a handful of shots, if the first 5-10 didn't convince them, the 245th one won't, they're gone before they even see it.

The inbox folders and the ability to send more messages per day was pretty crucial for me as a traveling model. I can get by on ten shots, I can't get by on a disorganized inbox covering messages from people across the entire country and only sending what? 5 messages a day?

Upgrading doesn't really make you more visible to site members, when it comes to finding work the hustle is all on you, mm doesn't do the work for you.

Oct 04 16 02:30 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

CrissyKayD wrote:

Its more about how many messages a day you get and how many photos you want to post. If I remember correctly you can only get/send so many messages a day with free account.

Oct 09 16 03:26 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
Upgrading doesn't really make you more visible to site members, when it comes to finding work the hustle is all on you, mm doesn't do the work for you.

The second part of that sentence is definitely true but upgrading does make you more visible.

VIP members are featured on the homepage. VIP and Premium members are prioritized in search (Browse) to appear at the top of the page, and having multiple locations means you can leverage that across more searches.

You can also post more castings and travel/availability notices, which results in being seen in more casting searches. But, this one gets back to Laura's point because you have to do the work of posting.

Oct 12 16 01:35 pm Link

Model

Eleanor Rose

PASO ROBLES, California, US

I enjoy being able to post more images, but I don't consider it a must. What is a must, however, is the folders, the ability to post more travel and availability notices, and the ability to post announcements more frequently. The added organization and visibility options are huge in my book, and I do recommend that the models I work with invest in VIP.

With that said, it is not essential until you begin getting booked more, and there are free ways to gain visibility on the site. I'll actually be giving a presentation on how to utilize Model Mayhem at their upcoming event in LA, and it sounds like that might help you quit a bit. I'm under the impression that the presentation will be available via FB live if LA is too much of a commute for you. smile

Oct 12 16 05:14 pm Link

Model

CrissyKay

Fishkill, New York, US

Eleanor Rose wrote:
I enjoy being able to post more images, but I don't consider it a must. What is a must, however, is the folders, the ability to post more travel and availability notices, and the ability to post announcements more frequently. The added organization and visibility options are huge in my book, and I do recommend that the models I work with invest in VIP.

With that said, it is not essential until you begin getting booked more, and there are free ways to gain visibility on the site. I'll actually be giving a presentation on how to utilize Model Mayhem at their upcoming event in LA, and it sounds like that might help you quit a bit. I'm under the impression that the presentation will be available via FB live if LA is too much of a commute for you. smile

That does sound helpful! I'm using Instagram quite successfully right now, but Model Mayhem seems to be getting me a lot of Trade shoots, but not many prospects for paid work. Networking through trade shoots is really important to me because I know that my hard work and creativity are memorable, and those connections could always lead to future projects. However, money is money, and I need to find more of it.

Oct 13 16 10:46 am Link

Model

CrissyKay

Fishkill, New York, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:
VIP members are featured on the homepage. VIP and Premium members are prioritized in search (Browse) to appear at the top of the page, and having multiple locations means you can leverage that across more searches.

You can also post more castings and travel/availability notices, which results in being seen in more casting searches. But, this one gets back to Laura's point because you have to do the work of posting.

This is what I had read on the "Upgrade" page. I feel like I can work around the message limit by contacting artists wh have contact forms on their personal websites or by keeping a tab on them to message them the next day, etc. And I don't think I need to have more than 15 photos. As someone mentioned in an earlier comment, most people have decided by about the 4th photo whether you're the right fit for their projects or not. The 75th isn't going to change their mind.

The main selling points for me are the ability to sort message folders, the ability to post more availability notices, and the higher search rankings.

I feel like I get a decent amount of visibility on this site by participating in forums, Shouts, commenting on photos, replying to castings, and leaving tags. But those things are not leading to much paid work. So I'm wondering if other models saw an increase in the paid work they found through model mayhem after they started using availability notices, front page announcements, and were higher is searches.

So far it seems like not so much. So I'm still skeptical and I don't think I'll be upgrading right away.

Oct 13 16 11:03 am Link

Model

CrissyKay

Fishkill, New York, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
The ability to post more photos is nice but it's not necessary to booking decent work, people have a pretty good idea if they want to work with you or not after just a handful of shots, if the first 5-10 didn't convince them, the 245th one won't, they're gone before they even see it.

The inbox folders and the ability to send more messages per day was pretty crucial for me as a traveling model. I can get by on ten shots, I can't get by on a disorganized inbox covering messages from people across the entire country and only sending what? 5 messages a day?

Yeah I definitely couldn't expect work to come rolling in and jobs to land in my lap just from upgrading. I imagine that being able to post more things in more places means it is more work to post more things in more places. So the bottom line is: "Posting more things in more places leads to more paid work," OR, "Posting more things in more places didn't really make a difference and I'm still not finding much paid work."

Oct 13 16 11:07 am Link

Model

CrissyKay

Fishkill, New York, US

ASmallWoman wrote:
So, if you wanted to travel, it would be a good thing to have.

If you're looking to stay in one area though, then it is not worth the expense.

This is really helpful feedback. Thank you so much!

Oct 13 16 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

I can't answer from a modeling prospective but marketing is marketing.

I tend to think of the site as just another social media site rather than a place to drive work, so for me the answer is a solid no.  For the most part I don't think it would mater either way Unless you need to send out a boat load of messages there's little point.  Then again I've always been here just for fun.  Being a cheap ass it just wouldn't suite my needs so I've never dropped so much as a dime on MM.

Other sites? Yes, but not MM? No.

Oct 18 16 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Kens Lens

Aurora, Colorado, US

Paid work here is usually for doing Nude work and even then Models have a hard time finding paid work, save your money.

Oct 18 16 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

CrissyKayD wrote:

Forget about upgrading and work on your instagram

Oct 18 16 07:52 am Link

Model

CrissyKay

Fishkill, New York, US

Yosh Studio wrote:
Forget about upgrading and work on your instagram

Solid advice based on the results I'm seeing. I think this is the path I'm gonna take. Thanks!

Oct 22 16 08:34 pm Link

Model

DesDun

Atlanta, Georgia, US

New to Atlanta, looking to network. Follow my IG @Dee_thamodel

Aug 16 17 11:09 am Link