Forums > Model Colloquy > Winter outdoor shoot in water

Model

Eilera

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Hi, I have a photoshoot at the beginning of January in London, where I've to step into a lake wearing only a dress. I haven't done water shoots before, let alone completely freezing water. Any tips on how to stay alive in the freezing lake while looking okay enough for the photo? D:

Thank you in advance!

Dec 27 16 08:10 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Make the photographer go in with you, that way he has a good idea of how it feels.  Remind the photographer that once you turn blue, a lot more post processing will be required.  Have a car running nearby, or other enclosed, significant heat source that you can make it to quickly after coming out of the water. 

Some of it depends on the dress.  Is this supposed to be a sheer garment so that skin, nipples, etc. are visible through the cloth, including being able to see skin color?  If not consider some wool undergarments or neoprene.   Maybe a good layer of stiff baking fat rubbed on your legs and body so you aren't actually touching the water.  You have a few days to experiment.  Hopefully other people will give you better info than me.

I hope you are being well compensated.

You should talk to the photographer or art director or whoever is in charge.  Surely a professional has thought this through.

Dec 27 16 10:44 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I did a nude shoot in water, in late October, in upstate New York last year. It was 50 degrees Fahrenheit out, so yeah, the water was cold. I had to get out every ten minutes of so and try to warm back up

I can't even imagine in January. It would possibly be dangerous to get wet in mid-winter like that.

I guess it depends on where you're at, but wearing wet clothing will lower your body temperature faster than even being just naked. So be aware of that.

Dec 27 16 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I've had to shoot in very cold weather (January in Northern New Jersey and as an actor, so the length of time was probably much longer than than you'll experience) never completely nude and never in water, so allow for those differences.

The way we handled it was to have a very over-heated car nearby with a warm blanket just off-set to wrap me in on the way to the car.  If the dress will get wet, I'd suggest planning to get out of it as soon as you're out of the water if possible.  A couple of warm towels in the car, one for drying and one for wrapping the dried feet, might help.  Naturally, you'll want to discuss all this with the photographer, and find out what steps he's planned to take to deal with the cold, ideally before accepting the gig.

Probably not practical, but could the photographer just shoot you against a greenscreen and "drop " you into the lake with photoshop?

Dec 27 16 11:24 am Link

Photographer

juliarabkin

Rochester, New York, US

You're going to get hypothermia.

Not a good idea.

Save the water shots for when it's warmer.

I did a winter shoot once and my model had a faux fur coat on and she was freeezing and shaking even with breaks between sets in a heated room.

Dec 27 16 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Make the photographer go in with you, that way he has a good idea of how it feels.  ...

Great idea!

Also, find out all you can about hypothermia and then avoid doing anything that might cause it. Take responsibility for your own health and don't let others have it.

Dec 27 16 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

You have about 10 minutes in water that is around 40 degrees before you start experiencing signs of hypothermia. I lost feelings on my toes on my right foot for a month doing some dumb shit like this years ago. All from standing in water up to my knees get that perfect angle for a the shoot. Unless your getting paid a good day rate I would pass that on too someone else.

Dec 27 16 01:52 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

If it's not a sheer dress, you should wear waders and very thick wool socks.

If it's a sheer dress and you're actually supposed to step into freezing cold water in January, you should cancel the shoot. Or have them sign an agreement saying you'll be compensated if you end up in the hospital or in need of medical attention. Because there's a chance you will. It's not healthy to be outside at all in just a dress in January - much less while standing in cold water outside in January.

Dec 28 16 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

If the water is below 35degrees F which it can be then you would be foolish to attempt this shoot. I have known a model who was at first told she did not have to get in the water, then the photographer pushed her into going up to her knees then up to her breasts. She blacked out with in 90 seconds and suffered from hypothermia. This model was nude, but if you think about it clothes will only make the wet cold worse.

Also the photographer refused to pay her saying that she only worked 90 seconds. So she nearly died for  pay.

The model is my current avatar.  She made it but she was in pretty bad shape for a couple of days.

Dec 28 16 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Eilera wrote:
Hi, I have a photoshoot at the beginning of January in London, where I've to step into a lake wearing only a dress. I haven't done water shoots before, let alone completely freezing water. Any tips on how to stay alive in the freezing lake while looking okay enough for the photo? D:

Thank you in advance!

Just tell him to wait until Summer unless it is a commercial shot that has many $$$ on it.

Dec 28 16 10:57 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

It shouldn't shock anyone that freelance models are basically expected to be superhuman.

Dec 28 16 11:32 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Whilst it's been comparatively mild in London so far this winter I don't think it will make much difference - you'll still get hypothermia..

Aside from that, make sure you recognise the symptoms of Weil's Disease - lakes and ponds in and around London abound with wildlife so contracting Weils Disease (which can kill you) is not an insignificant risk.

Dec 29 16 09:18 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Koryn wrote:
It shouldn't shock anyone that freelance models are basically expected to be superhuman.

Sometimes, I think people must think this...or that we don't have needs and reasonable expectations about consideration for our health and well being. The vast majority of photographers do not expect things like this, but the ones that do, you've gotta wonder.

Dec 29 16 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Growing up in Siberia does have added benefit..smile
https://www.whatsonningbo.com/news_images/8f26eaf1ea1e3d1d_Siberian%20%20kids%205.jpg

Dec 29 16 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

-->  Neoprene dive pants and boots       (& tape the ankles)    Charge cost to the job.

Visit a local sailing or surf shop or order online

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoprene-Wetsu … 01F8J3CJS/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1-5mm-Womens-N … 01E3TZ5G2/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Sphere-Pu … B01DE3CZ5W
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004NIG8E2

https://shop.surfdock.ie/
http://www.surfworld.ie/pages/online-surf-shop

- leggings worn over top can change the colour

don't underestimate the danger of cold water
https://youtu.be/4WFULK7AYks?t=1484

Dec 30 16 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Philip from Scotland

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Lomo wetsuits in Scotland do  (or certainly used to produce) a skin coloured wetsuit for cinema stunt work etc.

Swimming in open water all year round can be done, but it is not something to take lightly especially if you have never done it before.

I think it is important there is someone overseeing the safety aspects.  Wearing a drysuit so they can safely enter the water to assist/rescue if the need arises.  I wouldn't plan on wanting to go back in after 10 min even when you do warm back up!  Don't underestimate how many calories you'll use up just staying warm.

Dec 31 16 03:54 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Koryn wrote:

The trouble with models is that they'll never say they've had enough no matter how many opportunities you give them to say so. You often have to call it based on your own judgement no matter what they say. And, even if they are superhuman, I don't think it'll make much difference when it comes to hypothermia.

What seems like a lifetime ago I was canoeing across Poole Harbour with a team which largely comprised members of the SBS - Special Boat Section as it was known at the time. I can't remember what month it was but I'd guess February or March. We were almost back to base after a long trip in pretty foul weather when we were hit by a sudden change of wind direction which capsized everyone in an instant. The wind carried all the canoes away before we were able to grab them but we happened to be close to a small, uninhabited island so everyone was out of the water within five minutes.

No radios, they were still in the canoes, but we figured we simply needed to wait for someone to come find us after we didn't arrive back at base when expected. Wrong! Within half an hour it became obvious that a couple of guys were very badly affected by the cold. First course of action was to feed them whatever soggy rations could be found in peoples' pockets - but it didn't seem to help much. Then cuddle them in the hope that their core body heat would be preserved. But then a couple more guys started to show signs of going the same way so waiting to be found was no longer an option - people would definitely have died.

So, one of the SBS guys was detailed to swim to shore and raise help. Poole Harbour is pretty big and the tiny island we were on is just about dead centre - you couldn't see the shore. My lasting memory is of seeing that guy dive into the surf whilst thinking that's the last I'll be seeing of him!

Fortunately it wasn't and we were rescued - but not soon enough to prevent five people being evacuated to Haslar Military Hospital. It was touch and go for a couple of them initially but they survived. They were all booted from the team though. 

Less than five minutes in cold water was enough and those guys were pretty tough by most peoples' standards. Seeing what hypothermia can do first hand certainly gives you a jolt. Life starts to ebb away in minutes, not hours or days.

Not that I'm trying to worry the OP! All photographers are supremely sensible and considerate I'm sure...

I seem to remember that women's bodies cut off blood supply to extremities sooner than mens' do. That probably means girls will survive a bit longer than boys in cold water but their feet and hands will drop off a bit sooner!!

Dec 31 16 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

New Years Day Polar Bear Swim
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/things- … s-day-swim

I suggest the OP bail on this gig
Tog clearly hasn’t thought this out

Dec 31 16 12:52 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Ellie:  I think you should drop out on this shoot as well.  I can't believe that this is worth your while.  Let us know what you decide.  If the photographer starts a thread complaining about a model bailing because she didn't want to get wet in the middle of winter, we will give him hell.

Jan 01 17 06:38 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

What Hunter said.

Are you being paid for this?  Quite a fucking lot?
If not- get out!!

It's not worth it. If you get sick you'll be out the time you're laid up, plus possible long term effects on your health.

Over the years I have worked (nude, or close to) in:

high desert California,  54f.
high desert Nevada,  49f plus wind, sand storm and a freezing lake.
river in Minneapolis in March, water temp 52f
top of a hill in Ohio, February, snow flurry, wind chill factor 20f. That one took me closer to the edge than anything else before.
top of a horse, up to my tits in the Pacific in November, 52f. The warmth from the horses's body made it work. For 4 minutes.
underwater in Dallas in April, water temp 68f. 20 minutes total.
standing in a freezing river in Nevada, feet turned blue after about 12 minutes.

I am not built for and I fucking hate the cold, so here is how *I* made it work:

If possible, keep a car running nearby, or a space heater, pocket heaters, anything that blasts heat at you basically,
high calorie snacks, (fast, dense calories like nuts, candy, etc. work best to give you enough energy to pump up your body temp a bit)
a thermo blanket from the hunting supply store (it's basically a sheet made of reflector material. It has the weight of a tissue, and costs under $3.)
Sensible foot wear (I am talking skiing/hiking socks, the ones grandma used to crochet for us!), ugg boots, whatever makes your tootsies feel good.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember, but David Walliams (Little Britain) swam the English channel for charity some 12 years ago (blimey, time flies!!) and he covered himself in Duck fat.
which you can get from the fish monger or maybe from the feed stores where you're at.
Sounds gross, but helps!

Hope this helps a bit. If you're able to pop in and out as soon as you're too cold, you should be fine but don't let anyone push you, it's not worth it!
(I tell 'em "there are no parts I could substitute when broken on my 'equipment'". )

All the best.

Jan 01 17 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

This is not the type of shoot that I would do.  I don't want to be responsible for a model getting sick!

Jan 01 17 09:00 am Link

Model

Eilera

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your tremendous help, I am sooooo glad I asked for advice before agreeing to it. Being the kind of model who does almost anything for a shot I thought it wouldn't be as bad, but after reading through the replies I decided against it because the photographer wasn't able to have a heated car nearby, I couldn't wear anything under the dress either and the shoot wasn't monetarily compensated.
We initially agreed to shoot around the park, but not do the lake part. But after I arrived in London the photographer cancelled, so it's a bummer, but I'm really glad I didn't get into that lake as when I went for a walk around it, even the air was too cold big_smile
Thanks once again for all of your help, it's amazing to have such a community here <3

Jan 04 17 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Osborn

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hi,

I know the topic is largely closed now, however I do a few shoots on location in water. It's always worthwhile reading up on perceived comfort levels in water (Google say "water temperature human comfort") and there will be some useful guidelines and safety information (eg how many minutes to expect to go into cold shock in the temperatures originally discussed).

Oh, and I always take an infrared thermometer with me to measure the water temperature (and surrounds). Well worthwhile. Not that we get anything here (it's 34C/93F right now) like the OP temperatures, but in waterfalls (in deep shaded valleys) or other freshwater bodies it's worthwhile checking as even on warm days the water can be very cool.

Cheers,
Doug

Jan 05 17 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

Eilera wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your tremendous help, I am sooooo glad I asked for advice before agreeing to it. Being the kind of model who does almost anything for a shot I thought it wouldn't be as bad, but after reading through the replies I decided against it because the photographer wasn't able to have a heated car nearby, I couldn't wear anything under the dress either and the shoot wasn't monetarily compensated.
We initially agreed to shoot around the park, but not do the lake part. But after I arrived in London the photographer cancelled, so it's a bummer, but I'm really glad I didn't get into that lake as when I went for a walk around it, even the air was too cold big_smile
Thanks once again for all of your help, it's amazing to have such a community here <3

Thanks for the update as I was keeping watch on this and wondering how it would turn out. I'm glad you took consideration of all the info. and made a good decision.

Jan 05 17 11:02 pm Link