Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Using gold paint on a black model.

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I would like to ask what is the best paint/ liquid gold material so we can paint a very dark skin African American model. (My avatar)  Also is it possible to oil the skin, I usually use olive oil, and would that be best before or after the paint/ medium is applied.

The painting will be detailed to look like henna.

I have used a gold powder before, that is mixed with a liquid. Not sure if that is the best.

Any help would be useful.

Feb 05 17 06:55 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

I have successfully used LIGHTLY applied jahoba oil OVER alcohol-based body paint. I don't think water-based gold paint will work... Body oil and water-based paints don't play well together.

And, while more durable, alcohol-based hand painting is more cumbersome (for me) than water-based metallics (my favorite is from WolfeFX).

I have had great success "mimicking" the glow of oil on skin by airbrushing a very light layer of metallic color. My favorite on dark skin is a gold or copper metallic. The added benefit is more control over where the "shine" ends up. HOWEVER - the lighting used for the shoot will make a huge difference.

Hope this helps!

Feb 05 17 12:04 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

I'd probably use gold frosting, or food grade gold dust and pipe it like henna.

Feb 05 17 12:20 pm Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

I think using metallic powders with mixing liquid will be beautiful painted in a henna-like pattern. For painting this will work fine.

If you are not wanting to paint it then one could do a henna like effect that would be raised on the skin.
For that I's do a "white" henna effect using glitter.

Feb 05 17 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Thank you everyone . That is helpful.

Feb 06 17 03:01 am Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

Is Tatiana the model in your avatar? Depending on her skin color, you might wish to blend 2 or more of the Mehron powders together along with mixer liquid. It comes in 6 colors, & I've found sometimes a blend is very effective. Along with the mixing liquid, you should get a nice, opaque effect.
As Lisa Berczel points out, your lighting will greatly effect the final look. Check the other topic in this Forum Group regarding the metallic powders. One photographer gave a simple trick to use for warmth/coolness in the lighting.

Feb 09 17 08:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

Chroma Hue

Troy, Michigan, US

Mehron's Metal Powders mixed with their mixing medium is AMAZING for something like this.

I've done full bodies no issue, and the coverage is what you make it.

Mar 06 17 02:34 pm Link