Forums > Model Colloquy > How to arrange traveling plans?

Model

Skyler Bleu

San Jose, California, US

I spend a lot of time traveling between the Bay Area and Oregon. I would like to figure out a good way of arranging photoshoots while traveling (or along route). How do you organize your photoshoots when you go out of town? How do you prioritize, figure out scheduling, and pack in a way that doesn't take up too much space? Thank you

Mar 02 17 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

1. Find an airline you love that has direct flights, get on their mileage plan & get a matching milage CC.

2. Figure out what airline schedules work best for your travel, Trying to get to SFO 8 am on a weekday is much harder than, 2 pm on a weekday

3. Schedule your flights approx 3 weeks out & advertize to your clients in the area you're traveling to, keep all contacts in each area separated in folders, Portland, Seattle, SF, Oakland, LA....

4. Each time you plan a trip, contact every old client + network with new clients.

5. Model nekked, it saves on clothes, stop letting photogrpahers tell you to pack clothing that you will NOT wear on shoots.

6. If you have a stable place to stay, leave a box or two of your clothing & things at your various locations.

7. Priorities are paid full days first, then half day, then short shoots.... Find a studio or location to work out of in each location, set up your own shoots so YOU don't have to travel in each city as much.

Mar 02 17 09:10 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

Ionalynn gives a lot of great advice, I'd just add a few things...if you're planning a road trip style, rather than flying, you can reach out to other models who might be traveling your way to potentially carpool and save you some money on gas.  Use the "browse" feature on Model Mayhem to search by the locations you pass through to network with new people who might want to hire you, and also check the castings for those areas.  For advertising, put it in your Model Mayhem bio, put up a travel notice in the castings section, and put it on all social media that you use for modeling.

Mar 06 17 07:38 pm Link