Forums > Model Colloquy > Head shots in model portfolios

Photographer

Perceptive Gaze

Loveland, Colorado, US

I've always been under the impression that a reasonably close up, look at the camera headshot was part of a minimum model portfolio.  Yet I am surprised by how many portfolios I see without them. 

Models, do you have such a shot in your port?  If not, why not?

Mar 07 17 02:34 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Because models are limited by what they photographers choose to send them back after trade shoots. Much of the time, that is not even remotely likely to be headshots. It's whatever the photographer likes best, or feels suits his needs enough to bother editing it.

Mar 07 17 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Koryn wrote:
Because models are limited by what they photographers choose to send them back after trade shoots. Much of the time, that is not even remotely likely to be headshots. It's whatever the photographer likes best, or feels suits his needs enough to bother editing it.

Yup!  Which comes back to the need for complete (albeit brief) communication between the model and the photographer.  All too many times what passes for communication is no more than "Wanna shoot?"  "Sure!"  "When?  "Thursday, 3:00?"  "O.K."

No wonder this sort of "agreement" so often leaves one or both parties dissatisfied!

All IMHO as always, of course.

Mar 07 17 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

My last shoot was nothing but head shots as per models request
I suspect there are other reasons to the OP questions

Mar 07 17 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

I guess It might be something like "You have not...because you ask not"

If a model does "Trades For Pictures"  sometimes they dont have too much say in what is shot or they dont get back very many images that are worth posting in their portfolio.  Some photographers aren't great at headshots and others dont have the confidence and skills to edit a headshot to their and the models satisfaction.

I appreciate when a model shares with me what shots she would like during a TF session and especially what kind of shots she needs to round out her own portfolio too.  I think its fair to shoot some images the model needs in addition to the shots you like or need as the photographer.

Some people start out with a portfolio that is not yet well rounded out with "A Headshot" as you suggest.  Other models lack a "without makeup in a bikini only shot".  Both are considered to be parts of a well rounded portfolio.  So sometimes I guess it may take 6-10 months to do 4 or 5 TF sessions before you DO get that nice attractive headshot.  I think a headshot is VERY important for me to see from a model.  A model should negotiate ahead of time with each photographer what kind of shots she would love to do too!

A good and rounded portfolio takes time and effort and planning to pull together.    Researching for a photographer who does do nice headshots would be a target for me were I a model.   I know as a photographer I often go after models who have the looks im looking to add to my body of work too.  So models dont be afraid to talk with the photographers ahead of the session and tell them what kinds of shots you would love to shoot with them.

I think each party of a TF shoot should gain an image or three from any well planned and negotiated collaboration!

Best of Luck

Mar 07 17 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Perceptive Gaze wrote:
I've always been under the impression that a reasonably close up, look at the camera headshot was part of a minimum model portfolio.  Yet I am surprised by how many portfolios I see without them....

While this may be typically valid of agency portfolios Mayhem isn't "agency" actually far from it... 

And my compliments on all the superb headshots in your Mayhem portfolio...
I'm surprised all the talent in Loveland, Colorado aren't standing in line to "test" with you...

I wish you well on your journey...

Mar 07 17 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

I always take at least an headshot per model per look. And always have at least one in the final selection.
It's not only for the model but also for the MUAs and hair stylists.

I do not share many on my portfolios because I prefer full body shots. But I always give them to the team (all of them).

Caveat: since I usually set out to do fashion editorial and not beauty, the headshots I take are usually not ideal (at least in my mind) although I've taken plenty that I felt were ok or better such as this one (at least the model seems to like it wink ):
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160707/14/577ec708f20ba.jpg

Mar 08 17 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Bruce

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

I always try to get in portrait styled headshots with all of my shoots. Probably depends on the photographer.

Mar 08 17 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Yep.

Several good answers.I always make an effort to get shots every member of the team can use. I may not get it right. I may forget. But I always try.

Mar 08 17 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

As mentioned above, Trade shoots should benefit both parties, not just one of them. It should be made clear and documented before the shoot what each party is seeking. A model needing more headshots should specify in advance that what she gets back should include at least 1 headshot. (or however many)

Mar 08 17 07:32 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Roberto De Micheli wrote:
I always take at least an headshot per model per look. And always have at least one in the final selection.
It's not only for the model but also for the MUAs and hair stylists.

I do not share many on my portfolios because I prefer full body shots. But I always give them to the team (all of them).

Caveat: since I usually set out to do fashion editorial and not beauty, the headshots I take are usually not ideal (at least in my mind) although I've taken plenty that I felt were ok or better such as this one (at least the model seems to like it wink ):
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160707/14/577ec708f20ba.jpg

That's a great shot.
smile

Mar 09 17 04:55 am Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

Jules NYC wrote:
That's a great shot.
smile

Thank you Jules smile
She's a great model, not so difficult to take good shots of her

Mar 09 17 05:58 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Not sure why this thread has become about trade shoots when the OP never mentioned payment.

Mar 09 17 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Perceptive Gaze wrote:
I've always been under the impression that a reasonably close up, look at the camera headshot was part of a minimum model portfolio.  Yet I am surprised by how many portfolios I see without them. 

Models, do you have such a shot in your port?  If not, why not?

That is not one of the requirements imposed by MM, just a missed opertunity by the model.

Talent and model agencies use a headshot for all their models or actors to great effect.

Mar 10 17 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

I've seen many models and actors who seek figure work, but don't display a single full-length photo.

Mar 12 17 01:09 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Shaw

Sacramento, California, US

I don't know if mine is considered to be a head shot, but I love it!

Mar 14 17 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Jennifer Shaw wrote:
I don't know if mine is considered to be a head shot, but I love it!

Hi Jennifer

I don't see any headshots in your portfolio. A headshot is a photo of the head or head and shoulders.

Mar 15 17 03:18 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

I mostly do headshots, because I haven't mustered up the courage to approach a model and ask her for a nude shoot big_smile

Mar 18 17 01:56 am Link

Digital Artist

Vata Raven

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Roberto De Micheli wrote:

Is it acceptable to ask and give out names of models?

I am on a search of models for head-shots...oddly enough. She has a beautiful profile that could fit for a character of mine.

Mar 18 17 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

Vata Raven wrote:

Is it acceptable to ask and give out names of models?

I am on a search of models for head-shots...oddly enough. She has a beautiful profile that could fit for a character of mine.

I dunno smile But if you look at my portfolio on MM, you can find her photo and I've credited her

Mar 19 17 08:04 pm Link