Forums > Model Colloquy > How many images??

Photographer

BobBarford Photo

York, Pennsylvania, US

I recently read a post from a model who stated that in any TF shoot she wants ALL of the images or else it is not worth her time. Is this a common position for a model to take?  If a shoot lasts two hours, there clearly could be hundreds of images made during that period.

I have  thought that 2-3 'per look' retouched images is typically customary, but I am curious particularly from models what the general expectation may be related to this topic.

Apr 27 17 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

1 to 2 edited images per look is plenty.  I will just skip her.  Obviously, she must be a newbie.  smile

Apr 27 17 10:04 am Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

Nobody needs ALL of the images and displaying every image from a photoset is pointless for most people. A couple/few from each look is plenty. More if there were some spectacular images or an expansive concept.

I did appreciate when I could see them all and pick the images I wanted retouched, because what I needband what the photographer needs can be two different things. Seeing the entire shoot was educational, so I could see what worked well and what didn't, in terms of pose, expression, etc. If I didn't get them all... Oh well.

Truth be told, getting anything from a TF shoot is pretty stellar these days.

Apr 27 17 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I typically give the model 20 to 30 images from a 3 hour shoot where i typically shoot 300 images.  I also complete them within two to three days.

Apr 27 17 03:30 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
I typically give the model 20 to 30 images from a 3 hour shoot where i typically shoot 300 images.  I also complete them within two to three days.

You are such a good man.

Apr 27 17 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I like to spoil the models that I work with, and give them a ton of images big_smile

Apr 27 17 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

That is typical of newbies; experienced models, not so much.

After they get a little experience under their belt, they tend to realize that one Great Image ™ is a millions times better than thousands of mediocre ones, and that it is better if YOU waste your time finding that one than that they waste their time doing it.

The best models I've ever worked with always said something like "spare me the search, just send me the best of the lot."

Apr 27 17 05:56 pm Link

Model

CharlieMW

Dallas, Texas, US

I've asked for all of the images in situations where I do not expect a retouched image. Many times the shooter and I disagree on what shots were the best, so I like to have the option to select and re touch what I like. That being said, I share the final product with the shooter to make sure they're OK with the final product bearing their name in the credits. I don't see a problem with this arrangement.

Apr 27 17 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

I like to send a fair number-- like Risen Phoenix (though not nearly as good!)-- but it's more like 2 weeks than 2-3 days.......

I send in "Mayhem resolution" -- 800 pixel wide, BTW. But, I have provided full res to models who have asked.

Apr 27 17 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Beauty Grenade

Ironton, Ohio, US

I provide all web optimized images for the models I work with, and 3-5 full res, all within 2 weeks.

On occasion, I have been known to even provide an 11x14, if I think it was truly outstanding.

Apr 28 17 07:57 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Apr 28 17 08:20 am Link

Photographer

BobBarford Photo

York, Pennsylvania, US

Thank you everyone who has provided input!

Apr 28 17 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Electroglow

Elk Grove, California, US

I'm not stingy with pics and like to make sure that the model is happy (repeat TFP business!).  I typically provide them with a handful of edited pictures within a day of the shoot (usually the same day), and I upload unedited, lo-res, watermarked thumbnails to Dropbox of all pics (after weeding out the obvious rejects) for them to review and pick out 20-40 pics, depending on how many looks we had. My wife and I shoot a lot, so we need to be fast with our edits or we'd get behind, so that keeps the models happy.

Apr 28 17 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I give the model all the images, unfinished, for study and selection purposes (as spelled out in our agreement) on a CD or via Dropbox, and then give her as many finished images as I bother to finish, sized for both printing and web posting the same way.  I also include in our agreement the opportunity to withhold from publication, any picture that exceeds the boundaries set in our agreement (nipslips for example).  The principle here is that if our contribution to the images is approximately equal in value (the basis for TFP in the first place, IMHO) then the resulting images should be equal as well.

In a few cases, it has been the snake that turns around and bites me, but all in all it has worked well for both sides.  If nothing else, I am satisfied that I've avoided a ton of problems by turning down anyone who can't agree with these terms.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Apr 28 17 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

CharlieMW wrote:
I've asked for all of the images in situations where I do not expect a retouched image. Many times the shooter and I disagree on what shots were the best, so I like to have the option to select and re touch what I like. That being said, I share the final product with the shooter to make sure they're OK with the final product bearing their name in the credits. I don't see a problem with this arrangement.

If you DON"T like the work of the the photographer or DON"T trust his or her judgement, don't work with them.  Why waste your time and their time.  mad  There is nothing worse than second guessing by your own team.   Remember, you don't hire yourself for the modeling gig.  It is the photographer or the art director does the hiring.   

The problem of models choosing their own images is they are no "objective" enough to pick a winner.  This is particular true to the newbies.  They are often caught up your their own body flaw they just can't stand it.  Seen this all the time.  big_smile

Apr 28 17 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

I am not surprised when amateurs make up rules about how they want photo shoots to be conducted, but it never means you have to agree. After years of shoots, I have a written policy for test shoots to get the best results and I don't change it unless you are a paying client. For test shoots I provide the good photos watermarked with "proof" across them in a Dropbox gallery for the model to pick 5-10 for final editing.  I pick my own favorites for editing for my portfolio.

Apr 29 17 12:20 am Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

Loki Studio wrote:
I am not surprised when amateurs make up rules about how they want photo shoots to be conducted, but it never means you have to agree. After years of shoots, I have a written policy for test shoots to get the best results and I don't change it unless you are a paying client. For test shoots I provide the good photos watermarked with "proof" across them in a Dropbox gallery for the model to pick 5-10 for final editing.  I pick my own favorites for editing for my portfolio.

Honestly, this is the best way to go about it. Everybody gets what they need, none of the unfortunate shots see the light of day and everybody's happy.

Apr 29 17 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Loki Studio wrote:
I provide the good photos watermarked with "proof" across them in a Dropbox gallery for the model to pick 5-10 for final editing.  I pick my own favorites for editing for my portfolio.

I did that in the past with a large watermark across the proof photos fro them th choose their final picks for editing.. They don't care, they still post all over the internet totally disregard your instruction. sad

Apr 29 17 07:23 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

I give them 2 retouches of their choice and usually 2 to 4 of my choice.  I spend like an hour on each retouch so I'm not about to retouch 15 to 20 very similar images when in reality models mostly need 1 to 2 great shots from a shoot.  When I send the proofs I watermark them with "yajhil alvarez photography, proof image, not for use" and I size the images to about 600 pixels at 72 dpi.  That way they can view them just fine but if they try to be sneaky by cropping it and then posting it (A) it will look like crap and (B) the watermark will still be there and they will end up making themselves look bad. 

With that said, after a few years of experience I've realized that even though there are models that will try to take advantage of a situation and don't care about anyone other than themselves, there are tons of models that simply wanna see proofs because it shows them what they are doing when it comes to posing and facial expressions so it helps them grow.  I'm personally against people retouching my pictures because to me it's like, then why did you shoot with me?  My work should look like my work and no matter how good someone is at photoshopping your images are not going to look like mine because we are not the same person.

In the end though it's all about what you are comfortable with while also keeping in mind that the other person should get something fair in return too.  That's why I'm like ok i get this, you get that, if you don't like it someone else will and that's it.  Just do whatever you are comfortable with and don't let people take advantage because they will and you will find yourself retouching pictures of one shoot for an entire year lol.

Apr 29 17 10:16 am Link

Model

CharlieMW

Dallas, Texas, US

Connor Photography wrote:

If you DON"T like the work of the the photographer or DON"T trust his or her judgement, don't work with them.  Why waste your time and their time.  mad  There is nothing worse than second guessing by your own team.   Remember, you don't hire yourself for the modeling gig.  It is the photographer or the art director does the hiring.   

The problem of models choosing their own images is they are no "objective" enough to pick a winner.  This is particular true to the newbies.  They are often caught up your their own body flaw they just can't stand it.  Seen this all the time.  big_smile

Its called collaboration for a reason. Often times, the differences of opinion don't show until after the product is complete, so the "don't work with them" is closing the barn door after the cows have gotten out. Since you have been kind enough to point out the problem with many models, I'll point out the problem with many photographers is they get fixated on one aspect of the model and often ignore the rest of the image. I cant tell you how many times I've looked at images the photographer thought was fine, because my boobs were in perfect focus or frame, but the top of my head was chopped off or my face was out of focus.

Apr 29 17 04:57 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

CharlieMW wrote:

Its called collaboration for a reason. Often times, the differences of opinion don't show until after the product is complete, so the "don't work with them" is closing the barn door after the cows have gotten out. Since you have been kind enough to point out the problem with many models, I'll point out the problem with many photographers is they get fixated on one aspect of the model and often ignore the rest of the image. I cant tell you how many times I've looked at images the photographer thought was fine, because my boobs were in perfect focus or frame, but the top of my head was chopped off or my face was out of focus.

This. Or horribly photoshopped to the point that it could be a photo of anyone. What the photographer needs and what the model needs can be two completely different things. Models and photographers are selling two different services.

Apr 29 17 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

You wouldn't ask the chef to put all the ingredients of their kitchen into your meal, why is this any different!

Apr 29 17 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Normally I like to discus a photo session ahead of time.

Apr 29 17 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I upload the selects to Dropbox watermarked with "Sample Proof" across.  Then, have them give me their top 5.  After I deliver those, they can ask for another batch, and so so on.  This gets them the images they like quicker.  For my purposes, I have all the time in the world.

Apr 30 17 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

This is one reason why I like pre-shoot meetings... so that we can discuss this sort of details.

In my case, my usual modus operandi is:
1. 1-2 days after the shoot I put on dropbox all images that have survived the first cull (that removes technically wrong or otherwise useless photos) in JPEG format, as-is out of the camera with no post processing, full size no watermarks. This is usually some 100's of images

2. during the next 1-2 weeks I will filter them down to 10-20 images, depending on quality, number of looks / models and publication hopes. During this time I accept feedback from team members that may or may not influence the final selection. The "voting power" of team members essentially depends on their contribution to the idea and setting up of the shoot.

3. once the final selection is done I share it on dropbox (as-is again) and then send them to a retoucher - this costs me so that's one reason to keep numbers down. I use 2 retouchers (at different costs) and I decide which one for each set, unless someone contributes to the costs of retouching

4. when the photos are ready I share the edited images full size no watermarks with all team members (including agents where applicable) with instructions about whether they can be posted immediately or not (depending on publication hopes) - this may take anything from a week to a month, depending on the retoucher's schedule and the number of photos... if there is a publication involved usually 2-3 months are added before images can be shared

5. if a team member insists on having other photos done I share the RAW files with them so that they can get them retouched at their own cost

All of this is explained beforehand. In a couple of occasions we had some unsolvable friction over the final selection and at that point me and the other contributing members (usually designer / stylists) put down the brakes and go forward with our selection. Once I had an issue with point #5: the retouched images were so bad that I had to ask the designer to remove my tag from the photos on Instagram.

But in the vast majority of cases this has always worked well for everyone involved.

Roberto

May 01 17 08:15 am Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm assuming she meant she wanted all of the unretouched images back...not that she wanted any photographer who she traded with to retouch hundreds of photos and send them to her!  That would be pretty absurd.

I often prefer the model of trade shoots where the photographer sends me their favorites in Dropbox or Smugmug, and I choose 5-10 of my favorites for them to retouch...but it's a collaboration, not a "Mina party," so if a photographer has a different way that they like to do it, I will be flexible.  Perhaps in time this model will learn that trade shoots are a little like a "grab bag," where you never know exactly what you will get, but you are often pleasantly surprised. smile

May 04 17 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

RTE Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

After a shoot, I download the shots to my computer and have the model go through all of them, that way she gets to see what worked and what didn't. I then let her select about a dozen that I will retouch for her. Giving a model all of the shots means that she may "edit" the shots herself to her own standards (which may not be the same as yours). These shots would then be passed off as "your" work, without you having the final say so as to how your work will be presented.
If a model insists, just say "Thanks, but no thanks" and walk away.

May 26 17 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I used to go overboard now I give one shot per look if the image passes the first cut, The Model will have all the final  images within 24 hrs which has been averaging around 20 shots and from there I instruct them to pick their favs to publish. Although I may not agree with their decisions it works out ok.

May 26 17 11:56 pm Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

The more experienced models you work with, the less you'll find that happening smile

May 28 17 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Kelly Kooper wrote:
The more experienced models you work with, the less you'll find that happening smile

In fact when you pay a model, you don't have to give her any images.

May 29 17 04:35 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Depends.
Market forces.
Negotiable.
Varies.

May 29 17 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Quality not Quantity
Experienced models will know this
Newbies will not

May 29 17 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

In fact when you pay a model, you don't have to give her any images.

That's true.
I will sometimes give a model images if she is a good model and I like her.

May 29 17 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Quality not Quantity
Experienced models will know this
Newbies will not

I normally don't jump into discussions about models but Brooklyn makes an excellent point here.  An experienced model looks for quality shots, well composed, artistic even, that do something to make her look that much more special than every other model out there.  After all, that's a giant part of why models get hired - they outshine the others or provide a unique look that other models don't.  In my experience, an inexperienced model looks for quantity, which is not necessarily a bad thing, if the intent is to see how she looks in various poses, clothes, lighting, etc.  If the intent is to develop style, it should be a point of discussion in the pre-shoot meeting with the model noting her desire for quantity and the assistance of the photographer.  One can still conduct a shoot like that TFP but it at least lets the photographer know up front the model appreciates practice in front of the camera. 

The same can be said for a new photographer working with an experienced model for the same reason.  The photographer needs to practice with angles and light, composition and DoF for images.  Only so much of that can come from shooting inanimate objects.  How many models are willing to help a photographer gain the experience he or she needs to advance skills?  I'd lay money not many, yet they expect it all the time under the guise of wanting multitudes of images.

Avoiding this issue is easy.  At the pre-shoot meeting, both parties need to be open and honest about what they expect from the shoot and what they're willing to do to make the shoot a success.  If terms can not be agreed upon, the shoot doesn't happen but the back and forth about image quantity is solved right away.  I've had potential models demand a given number of images from a shoot.  My approach is that I will do everything possible to meet her request but she needs to understand up front that it may not happen depending on location, her efforts, and a myriad of other factors.  It's no different than shooting any other event.  If the right elements aren't there, a quality image can't be dreamed up from thin air.  We're photographers, not magicians.

May 29 17 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

BobBarford Photo wrote:
I recently read a post from a model who stated that in any TF shoot she wants ALL of the images or else it is not worth her time. .

1.  Any model wanting all images isn't worth my time. 

2.  I don't even keep all shoot images myself.   Most images are not final product, but byproduct.  Wanting all images is like ordering a chicken meal in a restaurant and insisting you get all the chicken parts, not just the meat used in the meal.

May 29 17 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

She did not ask for all the images to be retouched. You are reading things not written. Providing proofs is a reasonable request on a trade shoot. The model should be able to select some of the images to be edited. What is desired in a photographer portfolio is not always the same as the desires for a model portfolio.

And just talk to the models. Many have horror stories of photographers shooting for trade, providing some so-so images, but then offering the best ones to be edited at a price.

If you are unwilling to allow the model to see the proofs when part of the conditions for negotiating a trade shoot, you should simply move along. Communicate and negotiate. If the model does not like your tone or conditions, the model will simply move along to another photographer who is willing.

May 29 17 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lieza Nova wrote:
Nobody needs ALL of the images and displaying every image from a photoset is pointless for most people. A couple/few from each look is plenty. More if there were some spectacular images or an expansive concept.

I did appreciate when I could see them all and pick the images I wanted retouched, because what I needband what the photographer needs can be two different things. Seeing the entire shoot was educational, so I could see what worked well and what didn't, in terms of pose, expression, etc. If I didn't get them all... Oh well.

Truth be told, getting anything from a TF shoot is pretty stellar these days.

Pretty much.

And I always make sure the model gets some images.
Unless the shoot went so badly that none should see the light of day. With age that happens less and less.
I have given proofs of most of the images to a model. Stopped that after a couple of models posted stuff that was embarrassing. Now I make PDF's. If the model chooses to copy paste from a PDF the results will be so bad as to not be usable, and at that point they will never get any finished images. I get that a new model likes to see everything, to learn about their angles etc. Experienced models just need 1-3 great images. Period. I have actually suggested to agency models to trim back on certain shots, and these were mine.

May 30 17 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Todd Meredith wrote:

I normally don't jump into discussions about models but Brooklyn makes an excellent point here.  An experienced model looks for quality shots, well composed, artistic even, that do something to make her look that much more special than every other model out there.  After all, that's a giant part of why models get hired - they outshine the others or provide a unique look that other models don't.  In my experience, an inexperienced model looks for quantity, which is not necessarily a bad thing, if the intent is to see how she looks in various poses, clothes, lighting, etc.  If the intent is to develop style, it should be a point of discussion in the pre-shoot meeting with the model noting her desire for quantity and the assistance of the photographer.  One can still conduct a shoot like that TFP but it at least lets the photographer know up front the model appreciates practice in front of the camera. 

The same can be said for a new photographer working with an experienced model for the same reason.  The photographer needs to practice with angles and light, composition and DoF for images.  Only so much of that can come from shooting inanimate objects.  How many models are willing to help a photographer gain the experience he or she needs to advance skills?  I'd lay money not many, yet they expect it all the time under the guise of wanting multitudes of images.

Avoiding this issue is easy.  At the pre-shoot meeting, both parties need to be open and honest about what they expect from the shoot and what they're willing to do to make the shoot a success.  If terms can not be agreed upon, the shoot doesn't happen but the back and forth about image quantity is solved right away.  I've had potential models demand a given number of images from a shoot.  My approach is that I will do everything possible to meet her request but she needs to understand up front that it may not happen depending on location, her efforts, and a myriad of other factors.  It's no different than shooting any other event.  If the right elements aren't there, a quality image can't be dreamed up from thin air.  We're photographers, not magicians.

Very reasonable.
Needs pinning in the newb forum.

May 30 17 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Very reasonable.
Needs pinning in the newb forum.

Thank you, Herman.  I was fortunate when I started to have a great mentor.  He taught me that a quality image was only 1/3 of the business of photography.  Something I see missing within the MM community is people don't understand how business is conducted.  Yes, there's people with different styles and everyone believing their way is the right way, but the basic principles of customer service (from both models and photographers) is blatantly lacking.  Here we see the diva with no or little experience demanding money and her only "asset" is to shoot nudes.  On the other side of the coin we see the "I bought a fancy DSLR last week - don't know have of its capabilities - so I'm a "professional" photographer now" attitude.  Neither realizes there's so much more to actually running a business than the exchange of money.

It's just my observations, but if most of those proclaiming to be professionals here had to reply on this to put bread on the table, they'd probably do things a bit differently.  I've been very fortunate in that ive been able to use what I've learned to earn well but I've seen the trade decline with the influx of all the so called professionals.  Just this past weekend, I interviewed a couple about shooting their wedding only the hear, "There's a guy on Craigslist who shoots weddings for $500 or less."  I kindly explained what is entailed in providing quality photography and superior customer service and why they will no doubt get what they pay for, if even that.  I was called Monday and informed they've booked with him.  I wished them well.  The last couple I know who booked with the same guy called me the day before their wedding to tell me the $500 "professional" wasn't returning their calls, had told them there was no need for a contract and that they'd paid him the whole $500 in advance.  The bad part, he's here on MM and still doing business in my area.  So much for being a "professional."

Best in all you do, Herman.  Have a great week.

May 31 17 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Greig

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I come from the era of film, so sometimes a model may say "you don't shoot much", if I shoot for a couple of hours I will have around 150 imxges. I use Darktable for post, crop and small adjustments, and then batch process the files to full size jpg, and then to proofs that will suit the posting requirements of MM. Both sets go to Dropbox in a folder of the Models name. Then I send her the link. She understands the link is not to be broadcast, but she can download the jpgs she wants,  It has worked so far. Everything is up within 3 days.

Jun 02 17 10:04 am Link