Forums > Model Colloquy > What makes you write off a photographer?

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Dan K Photography wrote:
If you are running it as a business the annoying client discussed in the OP should not be a problem. It is part of closing the deal. There is no business that deals with clients that doesn't have annoying customers.

Within reason of course.

+1

Business people should not complain about customers or suppliers. They have to find ways to handle them.

May 18 17 12:55 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Lieza Nova wrote:
Eh, it kind of depends on what people are ranting about. Petty crap... Yeah, that's annoying. A bride not telling the photographer that she wants a specific shot and then refusing to pay because the photographer didn't read her mind... That's rant worthy.

No. That's business as usual.
A good wedding photographer should know better what the bride (and the bride groom) wants than the bride herself...
Because that is an important part of his job. A professional photographer is an expert. (Or at least should be...)

He should show his customers options the customers not even knew they exist. At least they have to dig out and understand what the specific customer really wants.

If he cannot do so the customers could hire Uncle Harry as well...

May 18 17 01:05 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

All Yours Photography wrote:
I have learned that with some models, if I ask 4 questions in one email, they will answer only one of them, leaving me to either ask the other 3 questions again.

ADHD. Widespread. Especially among "generation smartphone".

May 18 17 01:13 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Julie Ann NYC wrote:
1-3 are negotiable if the shoot is compensated.

Derek Ridgers wrote:
I first read this last week and something seemed a little amiss. In particular (and I’m struggling not to slip into the area of critique here) the bit about bad lighting and Photoshop.

I also saw what you wrote on the Accomplishments, Achievements and High Fives forum which does explain things a little.

IMHO with (1) (2) (3) you need to be a bit less picky than you are currently being.

And know that (6) even very talented photographers have to start somewhere and (7) English won’t be everyone’s first language and (9) some extremely good work is being done in this exact area - cheesy but intentionally so.

I have no argument whatsoever with (4) (5) (8).

It appears to me that she is talking about trade shoots.  For trade shoots, her standards should be much more  strict than for paid shoots.

May 18 17 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

TomFRohwer wrote:

A good wedding photographer should know better what the bride (and the bride groom) wants than the bride herself...
Because that is an important part of his job. A professional photographer is an expert. (Or at least should be...)

He should show his customers options the customers not even knew they exist. At least they have to dig out and understand what the specific customer really wants.

Tom, I must respectfully disagree with your statement.  I've been shooting weddings for the better part of 25 years and from the start have required a shot list from my clients for images they desire from their wedding.  Even then , I have to explain that I can ask and ask but if no one complies, the shot may not be captured. 

No one can read anyone else's mind.  I get the shot list and insist on a review with the client to go over it.  Having done so, I've found myself having to say "Oh Hell no!"  to expectations of being suspended from a crane or shoot from the house rooftop, just two actual examples of what was dreamt up by clients.  I'd agree that the standard shots of bride with this person and that are favorites but since the inception of sites like Pinterest, expectations have been getting stranger by the day.  It's no longer shooting a wedding.  It's now more like shooting a red carpet event with every bell and whistle expected and no one wanting to pay for the services desired. 

Just yesterday I interviewed a couple who expected the grand amount of coverage and had budgeted a whole $500 for photography.  They expected a bridal shoot with bridesmaids (including a boudoir shoot for all four bridesmaids) at a classy hotel, a "gentlemen's night out shoot", parents of both parties individual shoots at their homes, the wedding itself and the reception for that hefty sum.  When I explained that the boudoir shoot alone for that many ladies exceeded their budget they became a little less "classy" and told me I must be new to wedding photography.  So much for knowing what the client expects off the cuff as a professional.

Best of luck to you in all you do.

May 18 17 03:13 am Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

TomFRohwer wrote:

Nobody can read minds and vendors shouldn't be expected to. That's just ridiculous. If a customer isn't willing to ask for exactly what they want, they run the risk of not getting it. And it's 110% the customers fault.

May 18 17 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
It appears to me that she is talking about trade shoots.  For trade shoots, her standards should be much more  strict than for paid shoots.

I’m not reading it that way at all but, either way, that’s not the point I’m trying to make here.

My point is (and I’m speaking generally here) if you’ve been a model for a long time and you don’t have much good work, you might need to relax your high standards a little and see if that doesn’t bring better rewards.

I would NEVER advise a model to work with anyone displaying racist, rude, lewd or sexist inclinations whether compensated or not. 

But to “write off” photographers for lacking experience or having poor communication skills is not always wise. 

This is even more the case if your portfolio shows examples of stuff you claim to hate.

And that photographer you rejected for lack of experience might just turn out to be the new Ryan McGinley or Olivia Bee.

May 18 17 06:46 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:
I’m not reading it that way at all but, either way, that’s not the point I’m trying to make here.

My point is (and I’m speaking generally here) if you’ve been a model for a long time and you don’t have much good work, you might need to relax your high standards a little and see if that doesn’t bring better rewards.

I would NEVER advise a model to work with anyone displaying racist, rude, lewd or sexist inclinations whether compensated or not. 

But to “write off” photographers for lacking experience or having poor communication skills is not always wise. 

This is even more the case if your portfolio shows examples of stuff you claim to hate.

And that photographer you rejected for lack of experience might just turn out to be the new Ryan McGinley or Olivia Bee.

I am trying to take it the way she said it.  I believe she made a distinction between paid and TF work.  We have all read the threads expressing the models' opinion of how poorly TF goes for the model.  Poor quality, unusable prints, if any, ever.   Not that every guy that shoots TF is on the negative side of the scale, but the very real possibility of poor results demand a bit of a cautious attitude.

I see that Julie Ann has had an MM account for nearly 11 years.  I don't know of any way of determining how active she was in that period.  I did notice that the oldest picture in her port is less than two months old.  (I may have missed something older).   I did remember her posting about "coming back", so I checked the history.  https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19686429
(I commend her for not using shots from her earlier days.)

If she has some of what she hates in her port; isn't that an indication that she has not been selective enough in the last couple of months?  She is using what was provided.  No obvious selfies.  True, she may miss the opportunity to work with the next great artist, but it seems on par with playing the lottery.  You may only buy a handful of tickets before you get the "one", or you may buy them your entire life and never hit it.  Of course, you can't win if you don't play.   Unless modeling is a hobby, a model needs to strike a balance between the paid work and TF that will pay the rent.

Like she said, reasonable minds may disagree.  Your point is taken and understood.  We have different perspectives.

May 18 17 11:39 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Todd Meredith wrote:

Tom, I must respectfully disagree with your statement.

I think it to be self-evident to respect disagreeing opinions and views... ;-)

I've been shooting weddings for the better part of 25 years and from the start have required a shot list from my clients for images they desire from their wedding.  Even then , I have to explain that I can ask and ask but if no one complies, the shot may not be captured. 

No one can read anyone else's mind.

I am shooting weddings and portraits of private customers occasionally beside my main work. Which in the field of photography is journalistic coverage, public relations material and similar stuff. I do this "side work" for some 25 years. It runs the way people calling "Hey, I've seen you shot X's wedding and I like these pictures. My sister will get married next month so I would like to ask..."

I handle these assignments as any other assignment. As a photographer it is my job to help my customers getting the best result which is possible regarding their needs and possibilities. For me this is basic.

Of course nowbody can read other people's mind. But with a little bit of experience you have quite good chances to tickle out of your customers what the really like/want/need. This is an active process. I never would rely just on information which is given to me. I have to ask, I have to go on and on until I think I have really got what my customer really wants/likes/needs.

Foremost this means that I know that when it comes to weddings (or private portraits) most people do not know what they want. They want "beautiful photographs"...

Okay... that means that I have to go deeper. Most often these people have many things to consider and the wedding photographs are definitely not item Nº1. So they are happy when the can delegate this stuff.

So my point is: it's not enough to ask people "what do you want?" Because most people do no know about all ideas that might be fine.

This is the point with a newspaper photo editor too, by the way. I would be starving if I would say "Sorry, but you do not told me that you also wanted a photograph of this guy on his 200ft yacht just laying in the harbour when you gave me the assignment to photograph billionäire John Doe during his stay in Nice! How should I know this?"

A good photo editor would just answer "Tom - I hired your brain. Not just your cameras... I thought this to be self evident."

Of course he's completely right.

I once shot a wedding and while I was shooting I heard en passant that a distant uncle and his wife had travelled from far away to attend this wedding. I heard some words like "favorite uncle" and "they have not met for almost 10 years" and so. So when I had a few minutes idle time I grabbed them and improvised a little portrait session.

My customers were delighted when they saw the extra benefit. All included of course. ;-)

I get the shot list and insist on a review with the client to go over it.  Having done so, I've found myself having to say "Oh Hell no!"  to expectations of being suspended from a crane or shoot from the house rooftop, just two actual examples of what was dreamt up by clients.

No matter whether you are willing to be suspended from a crane (and no matter who pays for that crane...) it is sufficient communication. Customer has an idea/a wish. Photographer's job is to make it happen or to deny.

I'd agree that the standard shots of bride with this person and that are favorites but since the inception of sites like Pinterest, expectations have been getting stranger by the day.  It's no longer shooting a wedding.  It's now more like shooting a red carpet event with every bell and whistle expected and no one wanting to pay for the services desired.

First thing I try to understand when I am doing jobs for private customers is their "personal style". Some people want "conservative, classic" photographs. No experiments. Other are happy to get "something different".

I always check "What do you want to do with these pictures?" Do they want to make a kind of "coffeetable book" from the pictures?  Then I can shoot some additional "layout material". Still lifes.

But... what if my customer says "Oh, no, not necessary, we won't do this"? Whatever! Bet they will change their mind afterwards? So: here's the folder with some beautiful still lifes for your layout.

Just as an example.

Just yesterday I interviewed a couple who expected the grand amount of coverage and had budgeted a whole $500 for photography.  They expected a bridal shoot with bridesmaids (including a boudoir shoot for all four bridesmaids) at a classy hotel, a "gentlemen's night out shoot", parents of both parties individual shoots at their homes, the wedding itself and the reception for that hefty sum.  When I explained that the boudoir shoot alone for that many ladies exceeded their budget they became a little less "classy" and told me I must be new to wedding photography.  So much for knowing what the client expects off the cuff as a professional.

Completely different point. Of course you have to explain to your customer what he can expect for what money...

But as always: my brain and my experience is included. If they like to pay $500 I will either kindly reject the job or I will find a solution to bring some of their wishes and $500 under one hat.

May 19 17 03:11 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Lieza Nova wrote:
Nobody can read minds and vendors shouldn't be expected to. That's just ridiculous.

I disagree respectfully...  ;-)
A certain ability for "mind reading" is the most important requirement for a successful business... The more you are able to understand your customers the more success you will have. And this indeed includes some "mind reading". "Mind reading" in this regard often just means: "I can show you some fine things you never thought about. I think about things you forgot." *

Because I am the expert who knows these fine things.

If a customer isn't willing to ask for exactly what they want, they run the risk of not getting it.

Of course they do. But that's not the point.

An unsatisfied customer is just the worst case scenario in business. This should never ever happen.

And it's 110% the customers fault.

That's not the point, too. It is not about "fault". Business is never about "fault". It's about satisfied and happy customers.

*) Years ago I called a pc hardware store and ordered a lot of parts to built a new computer. The lady on the phone wrote down all that stuff and then asked: "Do you do not need a graphic adapter? Or do you just forgot it?"

*eek* I just forgot it. So thank you very much, unknown lady on the phone, that you tried some low level mind reading... ;-)

May 19 17 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

All Yours Photography wrote:
I have learned that with some models, if I ask 4 questions in one email, they will answer only one of them, leaving me to either ask the other 3 questions again.

+1

I have also learned that there seems to be an amazing number of models who do not drive or own an automobile. Since I live in a town with just a handful of models, most of those I have worked with are either traveling models or live 1-2 hours away. We do not have great public transit. Maybe I am doing it wrong but my initial contact is to gauge interest and availability *before* I write out a long dissertation on concepts, pay etc., only to find out they can't even get to me.

May 19 17 06:26 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Dan K Photography wrote:
If you are running it as a business the annoying client discussed in the OP should not be a problem. It is part of closing the deal. There is no business that deals with clients that doesn't have annoying customers.

Within reason of course.

this...just think to yourself...you COULD be cutting grass for a living, or working at McDonalds. You're modeling. If you're getting paid regularly, these are first world problems.

May 19 17 08:47 am Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

TomFRohwer wrote:

Lieza Nova wrote:
Nobody can read minds and vendors shouldn't be expected to. That's just ridiculous.

I disagree respectfully...  ;-)
A certain ability for "mind reading" is the most important requirement for a successful business... The more you are able to understand your customers the more success you will have. And this indeed includes some "mind reading". "Mind reading" in this regard often just means: "I can show you some fine things you never thought about. I think about things you forgot." *

Because I am the expert who knows these fine things.

If a customer isn't willing to ask for exactly what they want, they run the risk of not getting it.

Of course they do. But that's not the point.

An unsatisfied customer is just the worst case scenario in business. This should never ever happen.

That's not the point, too. It is not about "fault". Business is never about "fault". It's about satisfied and happy customers.

*) Years ago I called a pc hardware store and ordered a lot of parts to built a new computer. The lady on the phone wrote down all that stuff and then asked: "Do you do not need a graphic adapter? Or do you just forgot it?"

*eek* I just forgot it. So thank you very much, unknown lady on the phone, that you tried some low level mind reading... ;-)

Years ago, I worked as a diamond broker and would supply diamonds and appraise for custom jewelers. I had a couple who told us their budget and, after they chose a setting, they had about $5k for a stone. It had to be close to a 1 carat. We talked about color, as it applies to white diamonds and, while fancies were brought up, the bride didn't show a single bit of interest. She was shown a chart, with yellow, pink and blue diamonds. She focused on white diamonds and changed the subject when I brought up canaries. So, I brought in white diamonds that fit their budget. The bride was furious. Absolutely livid. Threatening bodily harm kind of angry. I only brought in white diamonds. Apparently, she wanted to see vivid canaries and pinks. These stones were well outside of her budget but I was supposed to somehow know that she wanted to see them, even when she showed zero interest in them during the process. Okay...

These jewelers would also get bitched out for custom designs that were EXACTLY what the customer allegedly wanted. A lot of them had an Auto CAD program specifically for jewellers and could render 3D images of the design. They were dead on and beautiful work, but the customers changed their mind, failed to tell the jeweler and then threw a fit over it. These were huge changes, like a different metal or stone shape, and things that needed to be communicated before everybody wasted a lot of time and money. I know that these guys called customers right before they started their piece, so there was plenty of opportunity to bring it up. I called one during the process, because I lucked into finding a stone that I thought they'd like better with the platinum setting. A week later, they were threatening a lawsuit, because they decided that they really wanted yellow gold instead and didn't tell anybody. These people knew they were going to be unhappy, but just didn't bother to say anything and then blamed the jeweller.

All of these were situations that illustrate my statement of "If you're not willing to ask for what you want, you run the risk of not getting it."  In my case, these customers had already cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in loss (shipping, insurance, materials, wages, etc.) Simple fact finding questions or anticipating customer needs isn't going to sniff out that a bride, who has no interest in or budget for fancy diamonds, is going to have a temper tantrum when we don't bring in $2 million in inventory... Just in case.

May 19 17 01:20 pm Link

Model

Jpod_model

Arlington, Virginia, US

I've been giving up and turning down work more recently.

I started to reply in a minimal, terse manner to  (and later just blocked) a photographer who was often wheedling for extras and/or getting away with paying less than agreed upon, as well as just being too familiar. When I'd factually say I don't have a personal lingerie collection in discussions of a proposed boudoir shoot  (a clotheshorse friend in my size will lend me her vast extensive collection of fancy and unused pieces to fit the theme, but I don't want to haul more than necessary so I mention he needs to tell me what styles to bring), photographer tells me about his wife's sleeping wardrobe preferences. (Dude, who asked you.) I'm an artist, so he repeatedly offered his services as a nude male model. (Again, Dude....who asked you for any such service. No, I won't trade. ) Tells me he likes me. (Dude, I don't care, and who asked you.) The shoot was competent, but he calls it off early and pays me half, citing a bum knee (making it barely worth my time to have prepared and come out to him) , but kept asking me every other month to do another session and mixed in with a lot of personal style emails about vacations, family, and friends (Dude, I never asked you) he could never nail down a real date. Oh, and he would ask for photoshop tutorials but didn't have the program, and didn't want to rent it....hinting he wanted me to provide that using access to my computer and my spaces. Hell no.

Then there was the gallery exhibiting experienced photographer who swoops down to bear hug me (this was a much larger guy than me btw) without warning during a shoot when I'm completely nude. He gets his back up and passive aggressively provides minimal communication post session regarding shoot likely because I was alarmed, declined the hug and emphatically stepped away from him. In the end I found his unprofessional behavior negated the decent work he did, and cut contact. 

There was the antique car photographer who even though I said I don't travel for jobs (for a variety of reasons), plows ahead and pushes for a shoot where I'd have to fly out to him. I'm skeptical but hear him out. He slowly baits and switches the kind of job it is. At first it's retro glamour and posing with fancy cars. Not my personal thing, but ok...sounds kind of an interesting gig. Then it becomes about nudes. I'm not anti nude, but have been considering phasing it out (again for personal reasons, no problems with those who do it) . Copied and pasted my list of boundaries and rules for nude work.  He ignored them and is asking me to describe my breasts to a creepy degree (there's photos of me, clothed and unclothed. I got two of em. I'm 47, never had kids. What else do you need?) and expose what was already in my list of boundaries. He went from initially sounding legit to a creep in a fairly short exchange (.....and even if he is legit....he's still a creep.)

Overall, I think I'm done with most modeling gigs. I've found myself discouraging and turning down other occasional requests by photographers asking for nude work, which is really the only offers I get now.  (I get it. It's part of a milf niche--whether it's fine/commerical/hobby pinup/glam. That's ok. ) Nothing wrong with it per se, but I find myself wary and irritated by the whole process. There aren't much more opportunities than that other than getting in really hardcore shape and doing some fitness modeling that wants healthy bodies of all ages and types. Something to consider (if for no other reason than some external motivation and keeping a possible income stream open. Hmmm. I don't know...but honestly I doubt I'll be working much in the near future. )

May 19 17 07:32 pm Link

Model

JT99

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Wow, some of the stories written in this thread make me shudder.  No wonder males in this industry are met with so much skepticism - to say the stories relayed are unprofessional is a gross understatement.  I'm starting to see what I'm up against in convincing others I'm legit.

I'm just getting started here, but I certainly hope that my first contact with a photographer is going to prove atypical.  (This person is not on MM, to be clear, or I would name him to warn others.)

The very first photographer to offer me a gig from my Model Mayhem profile was someone who characterized himself as a "semi-professional male who specializes in frank photography of the human body".  While I'm fine with erotic work if it has legitimate artistic value, he then went on to explain that he had lugged his lighting equipment and camera to a nearby hotel room, and he wanted to do the shoot there, as he didn't have enough money to pay for a studio.  He also explained that, while I would be clothed for part of the shoot, he eventually wanted me to arouse myself and ejaculate on camera.  And that the photos would be for "his private portfolio, but I could post them to mine too if I wanted".

I'm not sure how many warning bells exist out there, but I'm pretty sure this set off every single one of them.  Of course, when I told him what I thought of his plan, he was extremely angry, insisting that it is legitimate art and the hotel room offers a "better, more realistic" setting for his erotic art than a studio.  He also relayed the "at least a dozen or so" models that have worked with him so far.  Yeah, no thanks.

May 19 17 08:12 pm Link

Model

Jpod_model

Arlington, Virginia, US

JT99 wrote:
The very first photographer to offer me a gig from my Model Mayhem profile was someone who characterized himself as a "semi-professional male who specializes in frank photography of the human body".  While I'm fine with erotic work if it has legitimate artistic value, he then went on to explain that he had lugged his lighting equipment and camera to a nearby hotel room, and he wanted to do the shoot there, as he didn't have enough money to pay for a studio.  He also explained that, while I would be clothed for part of the shoot, he eventually wanted me to arouse myself and ejaculate on camera.  And that the photos would be for "his private portfolio, but I could post them to mine too if I wanted".

I'm not sure how many warning bells exist out there, but I'm pretty sure this set off every single one of them.  Of course, when I told him what I thought of his plan, he was extremely angry, insisting that it is legitimate art and the hotel room offers a "better, more realistic" setting for his erotic art than a studio.  He also relayed the "at least a dozen or so" models that have worked with him so far.  Yeah, no thanks.

That's inappropriate for him to have even asked that of you. If you listed "erotic...edgy..pushing conventional boundaries" or something to that effect on your account, I could see him easing into that request after making initial introductions (but well in advance of said project of course)

And if he could get those models, why was he having a snit fit at you?

Ugh.. I just hate that. From my end it's this feeling that they are slowly getting something out of you, a conquest they get off on. If he wants that level of graphic, he can post on appropriate sites and just lay it out there. There's people who would actually be interested and both parties enjoy a mutually freaky fun (for them) experience. But no...it's this "lets see what I can get away with, can I chip at this person's boundaries " that's part of the equation that turns a "frank" photographer into a creeper.

May 19 17 08:38 pm Link

Model

JT99

Jpod_model wrote:
That's inappropriate for him to have even asked that of you. If you listed "erotic...edgy..pushing conventional boundaries" or something to that effect on your account, I could see him easing into that request after making initial introductions (but well in advance of said project of course)

And if he could get those models, why was he having a snit fit at you?

Ugh.. I just hate that. From my end it's this feeling that they are slowly getting something out of you, a conquest they get off on. If he wants that level of graphic, he can post on appropriate sites and just lay it out there. There's people who would actually be interested and both parties enjoy a mutually freaky fun (for them) experience. But no...it's this "lets see what I can get away with, can I chip at this person's boundaries " that's part of the equation that turns a "frank" photographer into a creeper.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear your agreement, and sorry to hear about your own stories.  All I can say is, wow.  I'm not one to advocate for the stereotypical supermodel "diva" attitude, but surely a modicum of professionalism isn't too much to expect from photographers.  I suppose it only takes a few bad ones to ruin it for everyone else.  Can certainly see why you're thinking about giving most gigs up.

When he first asked about "the pose" (over email, we never met in person), for a while I thought maybe I should go through with it.  I'm actually a very shy and modest person (strange for a nude figure model, I know), and thought that sort of thing was just what would be expected of me in this industry.  And to be fair, if he had a legit gallery, or references, or professional models that could vouch that his work truly was artistic and not pornographic, I possibly would.  But he had none of those, and never even intended to publish or use the work.  Glad I passed.

On a related note, I think I'd better drop the comment in my profile that I'm "looking for female models to learn from and work with".  While that's true - I'm hoping to stand out from the crowd a bit with such experience - it makes me sound as bad as some of the people we've talked about here.

May 19 17 09:03 pm Link

Model

Jpod_model

Arlington, Virginia, US

JT99 wrote:
I'm actually a very shy and modest person (strange for a nude figure model, I know),

That doesn't sound oxymoronic at all. I've done figure modeling for painters, sculptors, college classes, and group practice figure sessions. I've also monitored group sessions. I've spent many hours drawing the model too.  It's not really about being "out there" and an exhibitionist. For that kind of work, it's a quietly intense, focused, and disciplined environment for everyone on both sides of the easel... if they are taking the proper attitude and approach. (Yeah, I know some newer alt groups hire strippers/burlesque dancers, have wine and beer and play rock/pop music. The only advantage I can remotely think of is maybe if there's some colorful and interesting costumes...but overall that adds up to a mass distraction from the work itself. I wouldn't be able to tolerate it as a teacher, student, or model.)  That never felt like sexytimes or being racy. It's just my "naked suit" so people have a chance to draw human gestures, bones, muscles, fat, shadow and light. Resulting work could be sensual, but that's usually more about the drawing style of the artist.

May 19 17 10:33 pm Link

Model

JT99

Jpod_model wrote:
That doesn't sound oxymoronic at all. I've done figure modeling for painters, sculptors, college classes, and group practice figure sessions. I've also monitored group sessions. I've spent many hours drawing the model too.  It's not really about being "out there" and an exhibitionist. For that kind of work, it's a quietly intense, focused, and disciplined environment for everyone on both sides of the easel... if they are taking the proper attitude and approach. That never felt like sexytimes or being racy. It's just my "naked suit" so people have a chance to draw human gestures, bones, muscles, fat, shadow and light. Resulting work could be sensual, but that's usually more about the drawing style of the artist.

Thank you once more, I appreciate that.  I have to admit that I have had doubts about pursuing this.  At the risk of sounding self-denigrating, I'm never going to have six pack abs or be mistaken for a supermodel.  And as a Christian I've tussled with the question of whether it's moral to pose completely naked in front of others.  I've finally decided that, if the artist(s) are interested in drawing me, and if they are doing so to study human anatomy or to create art, then not only is there nothing wrong with it, it's actually a good thing.  But I haven't always felt that way - having deleted my profile and photos multiple times over the past year - and that photographer contacting me two days ago, asking if he could photograph my ejaculation, nearly caused me to do so again.

It's just good to know that there most calling themselves artists, photographers and models are in it for the right reasons...but as with anything else, you must use common sense.

May 20 17 12:32 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I do mainly trade for Patreon at this point, but I'm still available for hire and for very select other projects. There are plenty of things that will make me "grey list" a photographer (basically meaning I'm very unlikely to work with them). Among them are:
- treating other models badly (not paying them, being nasty to them online, etc)
- being a jerk to me (you would think this would be counter-intuitive, but I've had it happen a lot)
- being too interested in my romantic life (bringing up my husband and how he "must" feel about what I shoot, etc)
- making ranty posts about how only "this type" of photographer/model is "real" or "legit" and others who do "that" aren't
- constantly complaining about models
- trying to chat me up on social media (not having a conversation, but just that eternal circle of "hi" messages)
- any whiff of sexual misconduct (that seems legitimate, not just one third hand rumor)
- any whiff of them having forced a model's limits (that seems legitimate, not just one third hand rumor)

I know that sounds like a lot, maybe, but I've been doing this for years and I've learned that a lot of these things are red flags to more serious issues if they're not more serious issues themselves. Additionally, I try to be a mentor to others in the community and I feel that a big part of that is setting a good example. How can I expect other models to respect me if I work with people who disrespect them (or me)?

But really, all I ask in terms of behavior is respect and I also prefer nice people. ^_^

May 22 17 10:13 am Link

Model

Julie Ann NYC

New York, New York, US

Derek Ridgers wrote:
I first read this last week and something seemed a little amiss. In particular (and I’m struggling not to slip into the area of critique here) the bit about bad lighting and Photoshop.

I also saw what you wrote on the Accomplishments, Achievements and High Fives forum which does explain things a little.

IMHO with (1) (2) (3) you need to be a bit less picky than you are currently being.

And know that (6) even very talented photographers have to start somewhere and (7) English won’t be everyone’s first language and (9) some extremely good work is being done in this exact area - cheesy but intentionally so.

I have no argument whatsoever with (4) (5) (8).

I'm not sure what you're trying to say but I didn't realize this was a critique forum.

Anyway, yes. I started as a straight-size fashion model years back and got some great gigs and tearsheets. I no longer use those images in my book because my look has changed and I don't want to mislead photographers or clients.

I've only been actively shooting as a plus model for a few months and in that time, got picked up by an agency and am in the process of re-doing my book. Obviously, my standards for TF and paid work are different and may change based on what I need at the moment.

As I shoot more, I'm going to cull my port down and may post a topic to get feedback on what needs to stay and what needs to go.

May 22 17 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Julie Ann NYC wrote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say but I didn't realize this was a critique forum.

Anyway, yes. I started as a straight-size fashion model years back and got some great gigs and tearsheets. I no longer use those images in my book because my look has changed and I don't want to mislead photographers or clients.

I've only been actively shooting as a plus model for a few months and in that time, got picked up by an agency and am in the process of re-doing my book. Obviously, my standards for TF and paid work are different and may change based on what I need at the moment.

As I shoot more, I'm going to cull my port down and may post a topic to get feedback on what needs to stay and what needs to go.

I thought about this for a week.  And I was bending over backwards to try to be helpful and struggled not slip into any area that could be construed as a critique. 

Apologies if I didn’t struggle hard enough.

What you were saying and what you were showing appeared to me to show certain anomalies.  And because of that, I thought you might consider being less picky in one or two of the areas you listed.

That’s all.  PM me if you want me to be specific and I promise I’ll be only positive.

May 23 17 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Mikel M Louder Photog

West Pasco, Washington, US

John Jebbia  wrote:
I'm local to you, so chances are I know who you're talking about.

This issue goes both ways. If I'm not able to nail down a time/place/theme/terms with a model within 2-3 messages back and forth, I move on. No hard feelings.. I don't go off on her or anything like that. I just move onto the next one and forget about that one..

Agree with John on this one. Too many want to be "pen pals". No offense, but as a sole proprieter, I just don't have time for that.

Alot ask for info, that they could find posted and was provided in my initial email to them.

Like John, I find it easier to just dismiss them and move on.

Hey, some people like to text alot.

Mikel M. Louder
MML Photo

May 23 17 06:00 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

Eye of the World wrote:
I have also learned that there seems to be an amazing number of models who do not drive or own an automobile. Since I live in a town with just a handful of models, most of those I have worked with are either traveling models or live 1-2 hours away. We do not have great public transit. Maybe I am doing it wrong but my initial contact is to gauge interest and availability *before* I write out a long dissertation on concepts, pay etc., only to find out they can't even get to me.

my situation too

my first query is:

this is where I am - can you get here??

if it's not a problem..THEN I will reply back with details

no point wasting someone's life if they can't even get here

May 31 17 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

William Sparkes

Thousand Oaks, California, US

I've worked as a pro photographer for may years. On MM I offer tfp shoots to help beginning models get a start. I've been learning that many do not communicate well...take a long time to reply, answer 1 question of 3, and just don't seem to have much idea of how hard one has to work to be successful in this business.  The ones who reply promptly and have a clear sense of what they want to do are the ones I choose to work with...and they are always a pleasure to work with. From the get go I treat models with respect. I do not shoot nudes. For me a photo session is a collaboration working toward a common goal: images that please both the model and the photographer.

Jun 01 17 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Haven't read all the posts but write off might be if the tog doesn't have a DSLR.
Uses only point and shoot or cell phone for studio work!
Not opposed to either on an incremental basis but not as primary!

Jun 01 17 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Greig

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I think this is where the real strength of MM lies,  in the certified credits. I explain when booking a model that I will be giving her a certified credit for her work. But i turn I want her to put in feedback about my conduct, my professionalism and my care of and consideration for the model. Her peers need to know when booking with me that I am safe, respectful, courteous, because they can see the results, but they ca,t see the person. That is why I use models from MM, because of the credits. And I know that if a new model wants to know if I am a safe person to work with, all she has to do is talk to the models I have worked with.  I can confidently say that if you have worked with me once, you will want to work with me again. A good name is worth more than gold.

Jun 02 17 09:27 am Link

Photographer

G3B Photography

Orangevale, California, US

Jun 02 17 10:26 am Link

Photographer

G3B Photography

Orangevale, California, US

A little off the topic, but....

Being fairly new to the business side of photography, I find this topic and all of the responses very enlightening.  I keep all my contact with models, whether it is messages, phone calls, or shoots, strictly professional.  However, I now see where some models may think that I may lack some professionalism when I first contact them; I am not always as prepared as I should be.

If I am shooting specifically for my own projects, I will have most of the necessary details (concept, shoot duration, etc).  Most of the time I will not have specific numbers for pay or specific information for when and where.  I am flexible with those details and would prefer to discuss those details before making hard decisions. I also prefer to do the traveling (gives me a reason to get out of town for a day or two) so I may not know exactly where I want to shoot, or more importantly to me, where the model is comfortable shooting at.

I see now where my methods work with the newbies, but may come across as unprofessional to the pros. Something for me to work on.  Thanks to everybody for their views and opinions.

Jun 02 17 10:26 am Link

Model

JT99

Had another bad experience just this week.

Monday: photographer contacts me.  "Available for a shoot at 6pm Friday at xyz location?"  We agree on it over email, and get all the details ironed out.

Fast forward to Friday. Get a text message from the photographer at 2:30 pm: "I might be a little late, my flight in Dallas was delayed 30 minutes".  Ok, no problem, that happens, I tell him.  I text at 4, 4:30 and 4:45 to reconfirm.  No response, so I call.  Straight to voice mail.  Figure he's en-route.  So I leave work early to make the 75 minute drive so I'll be there in time.

Get there 10 minutes late; text him ahead of time to let him know.  No response.  Arrive at the location.  No response at the door.  Sit there till 6:45, and try him every few minutes.  No response.  Finally, at 7:30, while I'm still sitting there: "Oh, sorry, I'm still at the Dallas airport, guess we'll have to postpone."  Asks to reschedule to literally the only day in June I cannot make work.  I tell him...his reply is "It's too bad you aren't flexible; I'll find someone else."

Yeah.

Jun 02 17 12:24 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

I won't work with the ones who have great big egos but teeny little cameras. I can reasonably deduce this by how big they insist their equipment to be in their profiles and in the forums. A real large format guy doesn't go around bragging about it. They just whip it out and get to work. Now, the ones with teeny little cameras who do their best with the equipment that God... I mean that they could afford, I will always try and work with. I find truthfulness and humility particularly appealing. It is my observation that most experienced models feel the same.

Jun 02 17 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

JT99 wrote:

Thanks, I'm glad to hear your agreement, and sorry to hear about your own stories.  All I can say is, wow.  I'm not one to advocate for the stereotypical supermodel "diva" attitude, but surely a modicum of professionalism isn't too much to expect from photographers.  I suppose it only takes a few bad ones to ruin it for everyone else.  Can certainly see why you're thinking about giving most gigs up.

When he first asked about "the pose" (over email, we never met in person), for a while I thought maybe I should go through with it.  I'm actually a very shy and modest person (strange for a nude figure model, I know), and thought that sort of thing was just what would be expected of me in this industry.  And to be fair, if he had a legit gallery, or references, or professional models that could vouch that his work truly was artistic and not pornographic, I possibly would.  But he had none of those, and never even intended to publish or use the work.  Glad I passed.

On a related note, I think I'd better drop the comment in my profile that I'm "looking for female models to learn from and work with".  While that's true - I'm hoping to stand out from the crowd a bit with such experience - it makes me sound as bad as some of the people we've talked about here.

Sir, if a photographer is a MM member and asks you to arouse yourself then ejaculate that is against site rules. You should CAM and file a complaint. If you have any proof he will be kicked off the site.  That request is never appropriate.

Jun 03 17 02:37 pm Link

Model

JT99

Agreed that it's never appropriate, and glad I had enough common sense to say no!

They are not a MM member or I would do so.

Jun 03 17 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

JT99 wrote:
Had another bad experience just this week.

Monday: photographer contacts me.  "Available for a shoot at 6pm Friday at xyz location?"  We agree on it over email, and get all the details ironed out.

Fast forward to Friday. Get a text message from the photographer at 2:30 pm: "I might be a little late, my flight in Dallas was delayed 30 minutes".  Ok, no problem, that happens, I tell him.  I text at 4, 4:30 and 4:45 to reconfirm.  No response, so I call.  Straight to voice mail.  Figure he's en-route.  So I leave work early to make the 75 minute drive so I'll be there in time.

Get there 10 minutes late; text him ahead of time to let him know.  No response.  Arrive at the location.  No response at the door.  Sit there till 6:45, and try him every few minutes.  No response.  Finally, at 7:30, while I'm still sitting there: "Oh, sorry, I'm still at the Dallas airport, guess we'll have to postpone."  Asks to reschedule to literally the only day in June I cannot make work.  I tell him...his reply is "It's too bad you aren't flexible; I'll find someone else."

Yeah.

Sounds like a scammer.

Jun 03 17 03:38 pm Link

Model

Liung

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Reposting because I think I got hit by that 40th reply glitch?

I've just joined MM so I'm actually curious on, in a slight tangent to the OP topic of what things about photographers put you off, what kinds of things in specifically a MM communication with photographers might be a red flag.

So, for example, I'm going to be accepting a lot of TF shoots to build my portfolio back up after my hiatus, and I'm getting a fair number of messages from photographers offering to set something up. One photographer obviously carefully read my profile and saw my stated preference on as much detail as possible, and told me about where and when he prefers to shoot, the sorts of genres he likes, a link to an extended portfolio, gave me a link to a picture he was liking as a concept for me... All in his initial message! That to me feels legitimate, when he's clearly put in genuine effort to communicate with me on a personal level. Further communication with him has been great, we've met up in person to discuss, and in general there's an awesome level of communication that, while not particularly formal, is still very professional as we bounce ideas back and forth leading up to the shoot.

In contrast, another messaged me, not as much detail as the other message but still told me about a vague concept, location, travel arrangements... but then ended the message with "I have just recently separated, and so I am trying to back into my photography." Well I was nodding along up until that point. What relevance does your marriage have to collaborating with me?? That seems weird and out of context to me, but I have no idea if that's a red flag.

Pre-hiatus I was modelling on a mostly occasional basis, primarily through word-of-mouth and occasionally through responding to casting calls. This is the first time I've experienced what are technically unsolicited messages (in that I was not the one making first contact) and I'm kinda wondering what sort of things models who are long-term MM users look for in communicating with a photographer.

This site seems awesome for networking and modelling independently, but it's very hard to reconcile making such arrangements over the internet with the hardwired internet-stranger-danger paranoia. Right now I'm asking any photographers requesting a TFP shoot meet with me in person first in a public place, so I can get a personal feel for them, but I'm completely flying by the seat of my pants here.

While so far photographers contacting me have been respectful of my preference for avoiding nudes, some have asked about implieds. Going with a stranger, whom I met over the internet, to a private place of theirs, with the intention to take my clothes off... I really wish I had a way to make a judgement call that wasn't just my gut feeling. And to my shock, escorts are a contentious issue?? I feel like internet safety adds a whole new aspect of difficulty in judging who is okay to work with.

Jun 08 17 03:40 pm Link