Julia Savitskaya

Newport Beach, California, US

how does everyone here find work?
share your technique, tricks and tips.

Jul 13 17 10:38 am Link

Photographer

JaniceK

Lake Wales, Florida, US

It seems that they are done by casting calls.  You can setup 9 for free.

Nov 17 17 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Julia Savitskaya wrote:
how does everyone here find work?

Julia specifically what are you looking for? A healthy revenue stream of the thrill of fashion show gigs? 

Since you are currently employed by Toni and Guy in Newport Beach I assume you are required to work weekends... As such you are virtually locked out of the most lucrative market available, that being bridal hair styling... Nothing, absolutely nothing comes close in generating revenue... That said, you are likely also limited by contractual employment agreements i.e. soliciting side work from any of Toni and Guy's clientele is a big no-no.

To this end my key hair stylist long ago left the salon scene and is an independent bridal hair stylist.
She is very happy with this scenario and mentions she would never go back to renting a chair/booth in a salon.

However to do bridal you need to aggressively market your services in as the competition is rather keen (I'm being politically correct here).  Look to platforms like Wedding Wire etc. albeit they are "Pay to Play" meaning you have to pony up their ransom in order to gain top listing on their search engines... Besides so many on these platforms actually "buy" their good reviews... Enough said.

Julia Savitskaya wrote:
share your technique, tricks and tips.

Julia there are no "tricks" only a strong social media presence if you want to transition to bridal... There is virtually no recompense in doing fun stuff like fashion shows and runway events... Only the excellent networking contacts you can make there... As for photoshoots on Mayhem? Precious few hobbyist are interested in producing publication quality material which typically requires a full team.  While I've done a fair number of makeup gigs for Mayhem Togs and they more than covered my expenses this avenue pales in light of the revenue I've received for bridal jobs...

Important Note: If you want to do bridal you'll likely have to find a colleague to collaborate with... No way are you going to be able to do the MOB, MOG, Maid of Honor and a half dozen bridesmaids... I will not bid a job unless I have a reliable partner in the mix... You only have to screw up once in bridal and your career in the genre is virtual over... enough  said.

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...
I wish you well on your journey Julie...

Nov 21 17 06:12 am Link