Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > 2017 Fall TV Season Thread

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Any comments on this year's Fall TV season, that's rolling out as we speak?

Any predictions about which new shows will be a hit & which will be a miss?

Any comments on the first network show already playing -- The Orville?

Any discussion point on the topic is fine.

Sep 19 17 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm a tad confused by "The Orville" -- is it supposed to be funny or is it a space opera like "Star Trek".  The pilot seems a bit underdone & under developed, but the second episode was more cohesive.  I appreciate that they've devoted some $$$ to special effects.  I'll watch it & hope they can pull it together in a few episodes.

I predict that "Young Sheldon" will not make it to my watch list.  I love "The Big Bang Theory", but I had shows that focus on kids -- the kids are usually not great actors and they have a tendency to grow up before the show is ready.  Plus, they are going to want to treat the young Sheldon nice which will not be consistent with how neurotic "old" Sheldon is.

Sep 19 17 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

There's something about the premise of the new show "Wisdom of the Crowd" that bothers me.  Objective facts are not subject to popular opinion.  If suddenly 51% of the world's population becomes convinced that the world is flat, that won't make the world flat.  Crowd sourcing has its place, as in identifying "the best" movie or actor or restaurant chain or whatever, but it's not any good for determining facts.  So, I'm already prejudiced against this show.

Am I the only one here who watches TV?

Sep 20 17 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Ken Burn's Vietnam Documentary
Otherwise I'll continue to watch Charlie Rose, NOVA, and Frontline.

Yesterday I looked at the list of emmy nominated programs and winners.  Most I hadn't even heard of let alone watch, except Steven Cobert.

Sep 21 17 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Well, the Fall TV season starts in earnest this week.

I watched Star Trek: Discovery, and I thought it was pretty good.  I liked that it had high production values, complex characters, disagreements & discussions.  If it were on the network, I'd watch it, but I don't think I'm interested in buying a subscription to CBS's streaming service -- for that price, I could subscribe to Netflix or Hulu, which has more content than CBS.

Your thoughts on this show or any of the others?

Sep 25 17 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I didn't expect to like it, but "Me, Myself, & I" was kinda sweet.  I did like it.

Sep 27 17 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I liked Star Trek Discovery!  I liked how it didn't drag on for while before the action stuff.  I saw the 1st 2 eps and it's already exciting.

Sep 27 17 08:24 am Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

My fall T.V. shows are Law & Order SVU, Chicago P.D., Chicago Fire, The Blacklist, Chicago Med (which returns in November), and I just started watching Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders (which is really good).

Oct 18 17 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I thought the new-ish Sci-Fi offerings, "The Gifted", and "Inhumans" to be disappointing.  These are about racial persecution and/or political intrigue and have little to do with the special abilities of the characters.  And they are serial dramas, which I tend not to like.

"The Orville" is also wearing thin to me -- nice special effects, but poor & predictable writing.

"Will & Grace" seems a little forced to me, but it's okay.

To me, "MacGyver" & "Lethal Weapon" are pretty much the same show.

To me, all those military shows "SEALS", "Valor", "The Brave", whatever are the same show, and as noted above, some of them are serial dramas, which I tend not to like.

"9JKL" makes me cringe.  "The Good Doctor" is okay, but I find it unbelievable.

Oct 19 17 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Nov 21 17 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Waiting for the 13th Doctor. I think she's going to be really good. Right up there with Tom Baker.

https://youtu.be/_-_bSdWEYK8

Nov 25 17 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

New York, New York, US

the gifted is my fav new show this year

Nov 28 17 08:15 pm Link