Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Turning a brunette to blonde for shoot

Photographer

PhotoPower

Elmsdale, Nova Scotia, Canada

Question for stylists: Can we put our brunette (long thick hair) in a proper blonde wig for a photo shoot, and what should be done temporarily with the dark eye brows? What would it cost, approximately, to do this properly? Thanks so much, if anybody has any advice. BP

Oct 05 17 11:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Wigs and Makeup Allison

Costa Mesa, California, US

I have always believed that anyone could wear any hair color, as long as they were willing to put on the makeup to go with it.  Brunette to blonde shouldn't be a problem, especially if you are using a decent quality wig.  They key to making a wig look good is prepping th hair to be a flat as possible underneath and then also securing the wig in place using pins.  For long thick hair, I will braid the hair in four to six braids and then carefully wrap each braid around the head, pinning it flat as I go.

To make a wig work a little better visually, I will often do some contour at the hairline.  Making the skin a little darker there helps the transition from skin to wig.

For eyebrows, I will sometimes brush a little base color in using a mascara wand.  But remember, brows are often darker than hair color, so getting an exact match between the brows and the wig would not be a priority for me.

Pricing I can't really speak to as I imagine that depends on who is available in your area.

I hope this helps!

Oct 06 17 12:44 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I'd pay a visit to a local wig shop as they can give you some pointers like a skin-colored skull or wig cap, etc. and prices which are all over the place.

I ran into an issue with a mail order blond one out of India or China where the blond hair was attached to a black cap and looked awful where it parted. Plus, the blond hair looked like fishing line so it's better to see it in person for me.

Some of the better synthetics can be styled with heat and others cannot.  Human hair would be super expensive.  I've gotten some pretty decent ones out of this place:  https://www.gothiclolitawigs.com/

Oct 06 17 09:05 am Link