Forums > Model Colloquy > Portfolio Dislikes

Photographer

Robert Southard

Billings, Montana, US

I do not like or want to see the following photos on a models portfolio.
1. Photos with husband/boyfriend.
2. Photos of babies/children.
I'm I the only photographer that feels this way?

Thank to everyone for their feedback.

Oct 06 17 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

Robert Southard wrote:

for real?
https://media.giphy.com/media/l396Sz7I9S6D9aShG/giphy.gif

Oct 06 17 10:59 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

You're limiting yourself. Greatly.

Oct 06 17 11:27 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

How do you know it's their husbands? Sometimes people do modeling shoots with the opposite sex.

Like all the models in wedding catalogs; they're not actually engaged. Women have their hands on mens' shoulders in the "summer grillin' " sections of Sunday circulars. The men aren't actually cooking burgers for families, despite holding spatulas and wearing aprons.

Oct 06 17 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

but I don't want to see strange images perhaps from travel destinations in photographer's portfolios
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130818/19/5211820e1ed7d_m.jpg

don't care if they are "boyfriends", "girlfriends", models, production staff or whatever, but i do lifestyle images and can get paid lots to find models for these types of images, "so" in portfolio images is fine.

https://thehardedge.com/images/research/Los-Angeles-Sports-Lifestyle-Photographer-blog-9012.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-888jtEr8ymg/VW3rKVuXyuI/AAAAAAAABzc/ns9frMk9tPw/s640/Forrest_Selfie_Advertising_Photographer_Los_Angeles_Apple_Iphone_Couple_Love_Camping_Mike_Henry_Photo.jpg

Oct 06 17 11:34 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Robert Southard wrote:

Your wish has been granted.
MM doesn't permit ANY photos of minors in a portfolio.
None.  Zero.  Zilch!
Not even in the background or in an audience!

(Links to photos containing kids are permitted)

Oct 06 17 11:35 am Link

Model

Koryn

Female models can potentially pose with their wives too, so I guess that about any two person shoot is bothersome to you? Or just ones that happen to include men in them?

Oct 06 17 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Randy Dixon

Brownsville, Texas, US

Are you sure you are looking for a model and not a date?

Oct 06 17 12:07 pm Link

Model

Sarah Siriphone

San Diego, California, US

Doesn't sound sketchy at all...........

Oct 06 17 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Robert Southard wrote:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, you are.

Not an answer:  "I do not like them, Sam-I-Am.  I do not like green eggs and ham." -Dr Seuss

Oct 06 17 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Robert Southard wrote:

Thanks for letting us know.

Oct 06 17 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Southard

Billings, Montana, US

Randy Dixon wrote:
Are you sure you are looking for a model and not a date?

Oct 06 17 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Southard

Billings, Montana, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
but I don't want to see strange images perhaps from travel destinations in photographer's portfolios
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130818/19/5211820e1ed7d_m.jpg

don't care if they are "boyfriends", "girlfriends", models, production staff or whatever, but i do lifestyle images and can get paid lots to find models for these types of images, "so" in portfolio images is fine.

https://thehardedge.com/images/research/Los-Angeles-Sports-Lifestyle-Photographer-blog-9012.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-888jtEr8ymg/VW3rKVuXyuI/AAAAAAAABzc/ns9frMk9tPw/s640/Forrest_Selfie_Advertising_Photographer_Los_Angeles_Apple_Iphone_Couple_Love_Camping_Mike_Henry_Photo.jpg

GEE!  Thanks for using my photo.

Oct 06 17 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

GEE!  Thanks for using my photo.

Psst...... your crotchety is showing.

Oct 06 17 10:04 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Instead of butthurt, OP could share the reason behind this?

Oct 07 17 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Robert Southard

Billings, Montana, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:
Instead of butthurt, OP could share the reason behind this?

The OP's reason is: I personally do not like these type of photos in a models professional portfolio.
Just my personal taste.

Oct 07 17 09:37 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Robert Southard wrote:

The OP's reason is: I personally do not like these type of photos in a models professional portfolio.
Just my personal taste.

Ok thanks for sharing.

Is that it?

Bc it won't change a thing.

Oct 07 17 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Robert Southard

Billings, Montana, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:
Ok thanks for sharing.

Is that it?

Bc it won't change a thing.

Why is this such a big thing to you? Call me "Bc" ie a Bitch Cunt. Come on get real.

Oct 07 17 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Robert Southard wrote:

Why is this such a big thing to you? Call me "Bc" ie a B_____c______. Come on get real.

I'm not sure but I think Bc stands for. " because".

Oct 07 17 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Robert Southard wrote:
Why is this such a big thing to you? Call me "Bc" ie a Bitch Cunt. Come on get real.

Bc is because.

Oct 07 17 11:38 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Robert Southard wrote:

Would you like to talk on the phone about your issues? smile

Btw (that means By The Way, not Bitch Twat Wanker), points for creativity AND hostility. I was asking a genuine question, WHY is it so important to you what models have or not have in their ports?

You don't like corn? You're not forced to eat Mexican cuisine you know.

Oct 07 17 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Southard

Billings, Montana, US

Fleming Design wrote:

Robert Southard wrote:

Check out the "Urban Dictionary" to see what Bc stands for. Other wise a person write-out "BECAUSE"

Oct 07 17 12:19 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Fleming Design wrote:
Check out the "Urban Dictionary" to see what Bc stands for. Other wise a person write-out "BECAUSE"

Well I'm not talking urban, honey.

Although you do turn out to be rather unpleasant.

Although I've had fun with cunts of bitches before.. hmmmm..

Oct 07 17 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Southard

Billings, Montana, US

Enough BS(BULLSHIT). Have a nice day.

Oct 07 17 12:30 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Robert Southard wrote:
Enough BS(BULLSHIT). Have a nice day.

Bachelor of Science?
Balance sheet?
Brown saves?

Ok, hugs and kisses. Call anytime.

Oct 07 17 12:33 pm Link

Model

Koryn

"BC" also stands for "before Christ." Colloquially, that means, "Stuff that happened a real long time ago."

Oct 07 17 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Matthews

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Is it over already, oh well, that was funny, thanks guys.

Oct 07 17 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

Robert Southard wrote:

Then don't look at that models' portfolio, problem solved

Oct 07 17 03:03 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Robert Southard wrote:

Let me get this straight, you thanked everyone for their feed back in advance but you seem not to like it?

Bitch Cunt.  That is funny.  I never would have come up with that for bc.  The abbreviations do get hard to interpret from time to time.  Us old fogeys might spell things out but the younger folk don't.  They are just lazy.  smile  (The smiley face makes everything okay.)

Okay.  You have only posted 9 times to this point.  Most of them were probably in this thread.  Don't let it get to you.  Sometimes these things just don't go the way we would expect.  In the future, you should realize that if a thread can go wrong, someone will take it there pretty dang quick.  It is best to play along and have fun or keep quiet.

Nobody will remember this for more than a year or two.  It would have been forgotten in days except we have a new term: Bitch Cunt.  That will be hard to forget, but we are likely to forget who said it.  Don't let it rile you.  Please continue to participate in the forums.  You may find that threads that try to change the behavior of other people go bad on a regular basis.  But they are popular.  It gives us something to bitch slap people over.  Now, of course, we will bitch slap the bitch cunt.  smile  (See- smiley face, so everyone knows it is funny.)  And remember, poor Dea has been drinking all day. https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/969784

Oct 07 17 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

Robert Southard wrote:

The “top definition” on urban dictionary is in fact “because”. It’s also the number one meaning on abbreviations dot com and I’m sure several others.

And even if it wasn’t, it’s pretty clear she meant "because".

This is where you might want to say “Whoops. Sorry. My mistake.”, as opposed to doubling down.

Oct 07 17 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

crx studios wrote:

The “top definition” on urban dictionary is in fact “because”. It’s also the number one meaning on abbreviations dot com and I’m sure several others.

And even if it wasn’t, it’s pretty clear she meant "because".

This is where you might want to say “Whoops. Sorry. My mistake.”, as opposed to doubling down.

And while we're at it, can anyone explain to an old fogey why we double down in order to emphasize a point rather than double up on it?

Oct 07 17 08:59 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
And remember, poor Dea has been drinking all day. https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/969784

Dafuq you accuse me of?

All day?

Come here and say that to my face, Prussian!  (let me go dig for that smiley face)

Oct 08 17 09:20 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Dafuq you accuse me of?

All day?

Come here and say that to my face, Prussian!  (let me go dig for that smiley face)

I would love to!  smile

Oct 08 17 08:03 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

I would love to!  smile

Bring OJ. smile (that's Orange Juice, not Offal Juggler or anything urban dictionary)

Oct 09 17 04:22 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Dea and the Beast wrote:
Bring OJ. smile (that's Orange Juice, not Offal Juggler or anything urban dictionary)

I am glad you clarified because I don't know the guy and I don't know how I would have contacted him.  I hear he is available again.

Oct 09 17 06:41 am Link

Photographer

mbp0820

Tucson, Arizona, US

I agree with you very much.
In my opinion getting writ of certain standards and having 360 degree of direction is just "progressive stupidity".
pictures of family belong to the category of private. And yes they could be very beautiful and telling from a photography view, but they also tell and show a certain direction of photography. Keeping them separated just makes sense to me its like wine and beer we don't mix them, for those that do - these people have no taste at all and I doubt very much they know what beauty is.

Oct 09 17 08:12 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

eh

however..what I DO want to see is a good unretouched headshot and a good full body shot in bathing suit or lingerie or really anything that is not some diaphanous form hiding gown thing...or from two miles away where you are a tiny figure in the landscape

..also.. more than one expression

everything else is just icing

Oct 09 17 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

GlmrArt wrote:
And yes they could be very beautiful and telling from a photography view, but they also tell and show a certain direction of photography. Keeping them separated just makes sense to me its like wine and beer we don't mix them, for those that do - these people have no taste at all and I doubt very much they know what beauty is.

there are many commercial jobs that require "family" and significant other shots. besides individual images, "couples" images showing interaction with other models are an important and integral part of a good portfolio. there are even assignments which require the image to look cheesy and "natural".

while it is not a prevalent in the art or glamour market, it is not by any means exceptional nor unusual to be with another model. there is no requirement for other model to be the "real" significant other. to think otherwise is a rather limited and nearsighted view. there are good and bad shots - but that is the only criteria.

had a a manufacture of hospital birthing beds once as a client. that required shots with a mother, father and newborn. a model with a family picture would have attracted my attention in casting.

Oct 09 17 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Robert Southard wrote:

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Your wish has been granted.
MM doesn't permit ANY photos of minors in a portfolio.
None.  Zero.  Zilch!
Not even in the background or in an audience!

(Links to photos containing kids are permitted)

That must be awkward for minors who are models on the site.

Oct 09 17 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Southard

Billings, Montana, US

Models should know that their modeling portfolio is a true first impression of themselves as a model. A portfolio will always be the first thing that photographers and agencies look at before they even choose to see you in person. For that reason focus on the building of an impressive modeling portfolio that will enable you to establish a successful career as a model.

It is better to have a few photos that are great, than to have numerous photos of poorer quality. So the rule of thumb is, less is better. As a new model, your portfolio should have 6-12 photos, especially when you are presenting yourself to a new photographer or agency. As an established model, your portfolio should ideally have anywhere between 10 and 25 photos.

Keep in mind that the purpose of a modelling portfolio is not only to show your good looks, but it should also demonstrate your ability to portray different characters, age ranges and personality.

7 Essential Photos:
1. A Beauty Shot or Clean Head Shot(without makeup)
2. A Full Length Body Shot
3. Swimsuit Shot
4. Editorial Fashion Shot (Fashion Models)
5. A Commercial Shot (Commercial Models)
6. A Smiling Shot
7. A Strong Closing Shot (Another very good beauty or head shot with makeup, that is different than your opening shot)

In terms of the type of photos to include in your model portfolio, there are no specific rules that you should follow, but just remember to keep your portfolio as professional as possible. Include only high quality photos. This may mean hiring a professional photographer for your portfolio photos.

Oct 09 17 11:10 pm Link