Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Retoucher and Why I do not Accept Their FR

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I pride myself on trying to treat everyone fair and with respect. However I have a hard time with retouchers and digital artists. When they send their FR, I sometimes look at their portfolios. Rarely do I find that they have provided any credits for the original photographer, model, makeup artist or anyone else. It makes it hard for me to believe that I should have any contact with them as in many cases they do not respect the work of others. One of the other things that I noticed is that many of them are in Eastern Europe where it is common place to use pirated software from the bazaar. I know that happens in most other countries too. I actually buy the software that I use and am the legitimate user. That is respect for proper business practices. Until somehow I get confidence that retouchers and digital artists are playing on a level playing field. I will offer no communication with them.

Oct 16 17 10:31 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

You make too many generalizations. Sometimes people don't want to be credited. For example many of the models which I shoot don't and crediting myself as a MUA sounds silly (although I do the makeup for my shoots). I have also seen that some photographers who share their raw files with retouchers ask explicitly not to be credited. So not seeing credits may actually be a sign of respect to what others want.

Oct 17 17 03:46 am Link

Digital Artist

Joe Diamond

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

Ok, now i am asking you, what should i do with the photographers who ask me for free works ? and what should i do with 10 to 20 FR requests daily?  Should i make a post how am I disturbed? Should I ask admins to ban them?  I think is fair as long as they are not from Eastern Europe and they spam me with FR and free work, dont you agree?

If you dont know how this is working, you better ask before make all people lough.  Most of the retouchers are using credits, if not, this means the client do not care or do not ask for credits but know this:  no retoucher/digital artist will post the retouched version if the client wont allow him/her.

Oct 17 17 05:34 am Link

Retoucher

Albert Brusakos

New York, New York, US

wow loads of people really hate retouchers and digital artists here, its kinda funny actually.

A lot of the raws i get the photographer and models ask not to be credited cuz its for my portfolio.

I credit the user that gives them to me if i get em from here and they ask for credit.

don't lump us all in one basket like that.

I also would never try and sell someone else work.

as far as the eastern Europe thing that's super racist cuz people use pirated software in every country.

Piracy is a worldwide problem not just Eastern European one.

I think this site is really awesome and fun but some of the users really try to push newcomers away.

and just a side note I never spam people or try and sell stuff I'm just here to learn and have fun and make art.

how are newbies supposed to get good if they cant work with pros?

sorry to bother you and waste your precious time op hope you dont block me and we can work together one day.

thank you for reading this.

Nov 12 17 04:07 pm Link

Retoucher

Krzysztof

Warsaw, Mazowieckie, Poland

I'm from Poland which is a geographic center of Europe but somehow is considered as eastern european country so let me tell you something on behalf of all the good people you offended in your post.

Using pirate software for comercial porpouses is crime in all Europe - east or otherwise. In Poland penalty is up to 7 years jail time. So probability of you buing retouche service that was done using pirate software is rather meagre - whenever there is a flow of money there is chance that some goverment agency will inspect person that provides payd services.

Buying pirate software is alsow a CRIME so it's done by children that don't know what they are doing. By the time they learn english and how to use internet to find forums like this one they tend to lern the law and consecuences of theirs actions. So retouchers don't buy pirate software on bazars even for learning porposes.

If you don't wont to support someone that usees illigal software ask for invoice, pay honest money for their services and pay all due taxes.

Nov 16 17 04:15 am Link

Retoucher

Ksenya Discorat

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Dear photograpers! Stop asking me to do free tests or offer me your raw files as a priceless treasure for my portfolio! Stop being shocked if my rates are above $2! And this is fun to hear that thing about Eastern Europe, because no one else would accept your rates except retouchers from EE, and somehow, lots of them have really good skills. Stop trying to insult talented retouchers from EE because for lot's of photographers on MM, as I can see, they are the only way to afford.

Jun 01 18 11:56 am Link

Retoucher

FKW

Yogyakarta, Yogyakarta, Indonesia

just respect anybody effort

Jun 03 18 04:15 am Link

Retoucher

JDRRetouching

Middletown, New York, US

Hi.  I am a retoucher of three years now.  Still practicing, every day, to be the best.  I got my first fashion retouch published and I'm so excited for this.  You can visit my website at www.jdrretouching.com.  I have before and afters on my site and I ALWAYS credit as the photographer would like to be credited.  I also create links with the credits so when people are browsing my site, they can also obtain a direct connect to those photographers, models, MUAs, etc.

Take a look and if you ever need a retoucher, please contact me.

Thanks.
Judy
JDR Retouching

Jun 26 19 10:40 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

I don't see many credits for retouchers either.   

Not one of the retouchers responding have asked for a FR. Nor would I have the nerve to ask them for one.

There will always be some that think a camera phone makes you a  photographer or that Mary Kay makes you an MUA or GIMP makes you a retoucher.

I don't remember talent having a boundary.

Jun 27 19 07:38 am Link