Forums > General Industry > cosplay models/photographers and tips from artists

Artist/Painter

jasonartGa

Athens, Georgia, US

Just wondering about rates to take shots for reference. Is there a  difference on scale money wise

Basically looking for shots in a wide range.

Some of the characters I am interesting in doing sketches of Gotham City Sirens, Green Arrow, Marvel, DC`s Death(which I am shocked I haven`t seen much on here) Dc`s The Shade is another potential character I am surprised I haven`t come across more of. Just want to build up my port.

Also Star Wars or any type of movie tv.

Also a question to Photographers and models is it an issue for artists asking about using your shots as a reference. I can see that being an issue.

Any artists have any tips feel free to give me insight.

Oct 17 17 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

speaking for myself as both a photographer and a sometimes model,

While it's always an honor to be asked, you might want to familiarize yourself with https://www.google.com/search?q=copyrig … p;ie=UTF-8
and https://www.google.com/search?q=right+o … Y_JsSpK7wE

Ii you haven't already.  It's often murky water to be wading in because  that's where the crocodiles lurk.  Depending on how closely your work follows the original, how recognizable the original is in your work, including how recognizable the model is, your reason for copying it,  and various other questions, you may find yourself in deep legal trouble ---- or  you mayhave no trouble at all.

At the very least it would be a good idea to get permission(s) first.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Oct 18 17 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Karen Engel Photography

Manteca, California, US

A LOT has to do with how much of a copy is it?  Nearly all art is derivative in some way...  I'd suggest rather than doing copies, one takes inspiration from something and creates a new spin on it - a personal interpretation.  All of which is part of learning new things.

For something like comic book type images - it's super easy to put various faces and/or body types in the same style hero suit.  Change the lighting, color, location to something you've made up and it's original.  If you can't imagine creating a face without copying one - maybe that's a skill to work on?  If you still can't - take phone pics of some people in the mall or on the street and use one of them.  Combine different parts of different faces like a Mr. Potato head, for your own new face.  Put Dolly Parton's hair on J Lo's head.  etc. etc.

Point is if you create something new/original, you don't need to ask for permission.    :-)

Oct 19 17 10:19 am Link

Photographer

JSandersPhotography

Topeka, Kansas, US

jasonartGa wrote:
Just wondering about rates to take shots for reference. Is there a  difference on scale money wise

Basically looking for shots in a wide range.

Some of the characters I am interesting in doing sketches of Gotham City Sirens, Green Arrow, Marvel, DC`s Death(which I am shocked I haven`t seen much on here) Dc`s The Shade is another potential character I am surprised I haven`t come across more of. Just want to build up my port.

Also Star Wars or any type of movie tv.

Also a question to Photographers and models is it an issue for artists asking about using your shots as a reference. I can see that being an issue.

Any artists have any tips feel free to give me insight.

A couple thoughts.  I am hardly a legal expert so... However, I am also an illustrator.
1: you said you were curious about rates for reference.  If I understand Life, the Universe and Everything, paying a photographer basically gives you rights.  So, if you paid me to take a reference photo, I don't foresee much of a problem. 
2: There's the issues of pose and costume detail, which I think takes us into the legal waters I'm unsure about.  Personally, I'm not that concerned, particularly if you asked. 
3: A second thought on the issues of pose and detail, there are A LOT of books of poses that are common domain I believe is the word, created with the express purpose of being used for reference.  I own several.  Some of them might be a tad pricey, but certainly avoiding legal issues is worth it. 
4. Conclusion:  Unless you have a very specific look in mind that you cannot find elsewhere I'd recommend a reference book for pose and a search engine for costume detail.  If you can't find it anywhere pay for a reference pose just to be on the safe side. 

Disclaimer, I shoot TF, so I have no idea about rates.

Oct 19 17 12:20 pm Link