Forums > Model Colloquy > emails or text

Photographer

unpetitvoyou

Paterson, New Jersey, US

I am pretty new here and in photography so i am not sure of proper etiquette. I messaged a couple models to shoot and they were willing to ... until i ask for phone number and the convo dies. am i just doing it wrong or dodging a bullet here? to put it in context, i come from ig where the level of flakiness is pretty damn high and to sum it up; most models who exchanged numbers 100% showed up; ok with a certain degree of lateness but those i kept texting with on the platform till the day of shoot did not. What do you think?

Nov 19 17 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I do NOT book jobs over txt.

I use email, email has a record & I can keep notes.

TXT has the implication that someone can txt me at any time.... 3 am.... just to chit chat.... no.

Also email is searchable & I can find any job notes I have easily.

I let people know my number, because I run a business, but don't book over txt.

Nov 19 17 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

What is your exact booking process?

Nov 19 17 01:04 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

In general, I feel like a shoot should be planned and decided within the time it takes to exchange 3-5 comprehensive emails. The more concise and direct the initial contact messages are, the more likely it is the shoot will happen and go off without a hitch. I send my phone number out with the first message, but I feel red flags going up when a photographer wishes to text me individual questions, such as: "What do your nails look like."

Five, six, seven years ago, people simply didn't ask those questions. They looked at your portfolio, and they emailed you with the following information: genre, compensation, scheduling info. You either agreed to it and did the shoot, or you negotiated compensation, and went from there. I like things simple and concise. I do not like badgering with small questions, or ongoing conversation via text. If I agree to shoot with you, I will be there - at the agreed upon time, in the agreed upon place. Any further discussion is excessive to me and seems awkward, if not creepy.

A quick (like ten minute long) confirmation call after booking the day, time and location of the shoot is fine to me. It should be focused on tying up loose ends.

Nov 19 17 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

unpetitvoyou

Paterson, New Jersey, US

Ionalynn wrote:
I use email, email has a record

what do you mean? text doesn't?

Ionalynn wrote:
TXT has the implication that someone can txt me at any time.... 3 am.... just to chit chat.... no.

True indeed, though someone can still email at 3 am ... just to chit chat. but i get your point. I guess i will be asking for email then as i am not here to chit chat. funny part though is that some models straight up gave their number before i even got there

Nov 19 17 01:13 pm Link

Model

Koryn

unpetitvoyou wrote:
True indeed, though someone can still email at 3 am ... just to chit chat. but i get your point. I guess i will be asking for email then as i am not here to chit chat. funny part though is that some models straight up gave their number before i even got there

The internet-based modeling/photography world has changed tremendously over the past decade. In 2010 or so, if you didn't provide your phone number fairly quickly and engage in a phone call, you were not considered serious. Not providing a phone number quickly enough was looked upon as a model faux pas. Today, it's almost the opposite. Similarly, it used to be taboo for models to be active on social media, and the term "Facebook model" was (quite literally) a condescending term and a joke. Today, models almost have to be on Facebook. If you are primarily interacting with models who've been online for awhile, you're likely to experience some more "outdated" behavior, though this behavior may have been common practice during the years they started modeling.

Nov 19 17 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

unpetitvoyou

Paterson, New Jersey, US

Koryn wrote:
In general, I feel like a shoot should be planned and decided within the time it takes to exchange 3-5 comprehensive emails.

Totally agree

Koryn wrote:
"What do your nails look like."

I see, but that doesn't really seem like a red flag to me. I usually have an idea of what poses I want prior to a shoot. Asking what your nail look like could mean anything from photog is bored and creepy to your nails might ruin my headshots if not clean or maybe i'd like you to paint them a certain color or so. A red flag would be for example, 'what are you doing', 'wanna hang out' or the likes.
5, 6 years ago i would like to hope that people weren't so deceptive about their actual looks

Nov 19 17 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

unpetitvoyou

Paterson, New Jersey, US

Koryn wrote:

The internet-based modeling/photography world has changed tremendously over the past decade. In 2010 or so, if you didn't provide your phone number fairly quickly and engage in a phone call, you were not considered serious. Not providing a phone number quickly enough was looked upon as a model faux pas. Today, it's almost the opposite. Similarly, it used to be taboo for models to be active on social media, and the term "Facebook model" was (quite literally) a condescending term and a joke. Today, models almost have to be on Facebook. If you are primarily interacting with models who've been online for awhile, you're likely to experience some more "outdated" behavior, though this behavior may have been common practice during the years they started modeling.

very insightful, thank you. I couldn't have seen it this way unless you mentioned

Nov 19 17 01:32 pm Link

Model

Koryn

unpetitvoyou wrote:
Totally agree

I see, but that doesn't really seem like a red flag to me. I usually have an idea of what poses I want prior to a shoot. Asking what your nail look like could mean anything from photog is bored and creepy to your nails might ruin my headshots if not clean or maybe i'd like you to paint them a certain color or so. A red flag would be for example, 'what are you doing', 'wanna hang out' or the likes.
5, 6 years ago i would like to hope that people weren't so deceptive about their actual looks

If nails are an important part of the shoot, it should be asked in the initial contact email, along with other details pertinent to the content. In my experience, photographers who text with individual questions, who dwell on small details, tend to cancel the day before. They were not serious about shooting from the outset. It should be a cut and dried process, with no unnecessary complications.

As per "deceptive," the portfolio historically has existed to represent what the model can look like, with excellent lighting, good camera angles and post-work, not what she/he may look like on a daily basis. The portfolio should show you in your best light, both literally and figuratively. It represents a models' potential.

Nov 19 17 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

unpetitvoyou

Paterson, New Jersey, US

Koryn wrote:
As per "deceptive," the portfolio historically has existed to represent what the model can look like, with excellent lighting, good camera angles and post-work, not what she/he may look like on a daily basis. The portfolio should show you in your best light, both literally and figuratively. It represents a models' potential.

wow, I would still like to see what they look like on a daily basis though, just in case it is a lot more post-process work than i am willing to do. I always thought the processed pictures are for the viewers/consumers/clients not the photog. It could be stressful when a model shows up and looks nothing like the picture, blemishes, scars on the fore head, more weight and so. I get it though, emails look more 'professional' than text. hmm ok

Nov 19 17 01:58 pm Link

Model

Koryn

unpetitvoyou wrote:

wow, I would still like to see what they look like on a daily basis though, just in case it is a lot more post-process work than i am willing to do. I always thought the processed pictures are for the viewers/consumers/clients not the photog. It could be stressful when a model shows up and looks nothing like the picture, blemishes, scars on the fore head, more weight and so. I get it though, emails look more 'professional' than text. hmm ok

If you are concerned about these things, ask for unedited cell phone snapshots of the model holding a sign with the current date written on it.

Nov 19 17 02:12 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I only want to do PM's or emails. I have never texted, only have a very basic cell phone that is $25 every 3 months for 100 minutes that I keep for emergencies, it's never turned on except when I leave home and there are always lots of minutes carried over when I renew.

The basically unlimited storage on email makes it easy to keep all communication in one place and I can read them from any computer. That method works best for me. On the day of the photo session whoever is driving me can speak to the photographer on the phone to verify the exact location and directions, since I'm unable to drive very far.

I agree with Koryn about snapshots,  I always offer to send current unedited shots to anyone interested in working with me because it's easy to do via email.

While my behavior may be seen as outdated by some today, it works well for me and I'm comfortable with doing things this way.  It is a dramatic change and improvement over the way things were in the summer of 1987 when I first started modelling and networking/making contacts was either done in person, by mail, or over the phone.

Nov 19 17 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I try, if possible, to do the whole pre-shoot process, Inquiry, Offer, Negotiation, Agreement, Scheduling and Confirmation, in a single thread MM PM.  For outside MM email in a continuing thread.  That way we both have a complete record of everything that has been discussed and agreed upon.  I try to use telephone or text only for last minute emergencies like "On my way- stuck in traffic.  May be late."  Unfortunately, many younger people, including models, either don't have dependable computer access or simply prefer to use text, in which case I generally say "Thanks but no thanks."

All IMHO as always, of course.

Nov 19 17 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Bruce

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

Exchanging contact via only email is a terrible idea. You want to be able to communicate with a model to build a chemistry and be able to arrange ideas/themes/outfits/pics in real time.

Nov 20 17 07:27 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

unpetitvoyou wrote:
I am pretty new here and in photography so i am not sure of proper etiquette. I messaged a couple models to shoot and they were willing to ... until i ask for phone number and the convo dies. am i just doing it wrong or dodging a bullet here? to put it in context, i come from ig where the level of flakiness is pretty damn high and to sum it up; [b]most models who exchanged numbers 100% showed up; ok with a certain degree of lateness but those i kept texting with on the platform till the day of shoot did not. What do you think?

I think You're dodging a bullet, why wouldn't someone want to speak on the telephone?  For Me, a reluctance to do so hints of scam, unless You know the Model personally.

Nov 20 17 09:02 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

all MM messages and/or email

I do exchange phone numbers after the shoot has been set so that they can txt me that their car broke down or grandmother passed away hours before the shoot, though

Nov 20 17 09:57 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I give my number after the shoot details have already been hammered out in email/mm message/text form somewhere I can reference back to. My number is for a quick confirmation a day or so before the shoot (if it was booked far in advance) and if some kind of emergency comes up/one of us is running late/lost/etc. It's not for actually booking the shoot and its not for chatting. And I prefer texts over calls.

If someone messages me some kind of "hey lets shoot" and asks for my number without any other details having been coordinated I will most likely tell them that I'd prefer to keep our scheduling to a text-based platform so I have record of it, rather than just stop responding, and I might even give them my number then, but im not taking their calls until we nail down specifics, and if their calls after that are for anything non-critical we're not shooting.

Nov 24 17 02:17 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

I think You're dodging a bullet, why wouldn't someone want to speak on the telephone?  For Me, a reluctance to do so hints of scam, unless You know the Model personally.

A lot of people in the world dislike phonecalls to anyone for anything for a number of reasons. I dont even want to get calls from my family or friends. The "chat all day long on the telephone" thing is dying out with newer generations. Text-based communications is where the world is turning, that's not inherently a signal of being scammed or not being serious or whatever. The older generations need to keep up or only shoot models who are as old as they are.

For any kind of work I'm doing I prefer to keep discussion in some form of writing, be it emails, MM mail, texting, FB messaging, etc so that I can always refer back to exactly what was said. It's nonsense for the both of us to sit there and try to take notes on exactly what each other said if we can both just have the original conversation in text form in the first place.

If all the details are in writing then I cant forget anything. I can double triple and quadruple check before I leave the house that I have every single thing in order.

There's also absolutely no room for any "I never said that!" nonsense if I have your and you have my original messages. There's no "you must have misheard me" or anything like that. Whatever you wrote is exactly what was said.

I'm also far less likely to lose an email, mm message, text message, etc than I am a piece of paper floating around somewhere. I still have emails from 2005, the mm messaging system is far more stable than it was a decade ago, i dont delete my texts and my phone is always backing up to the cloud anyway.

If you're using some sort of digital communication I can also very easily click right from the message onto a link to a persons profile, so I know exactly who I'm talking to / whos work this is in regards to. If I just take a quick note down from a phone convo I might not remember next week who Bill from California is or what his work looks like.

Nov 24 17 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

When I put a casting call up, upon the mutual signal of interest, I moved to email so I can I send the mood board, project details, etc. The phone number is used for navigational purposes--and usually they have sent me their phone.  I text them the location address. Sometimes people are so excited that they will call about the shoot. The first phone call usually is when they are having trouble finding the location.

Some of my projects can be quite challenging, so its good to have the phone numbers to text when they wish so. I would advise planning so well that the phone call is not required. I only consider calling  if they haven't confirmed. . . And often its pointless, and they text a reasonable explanation: they just booked a job.

People love efficiency. Trust me. Don't call unless absolutely necessary. You have to trust that they really want to shoot with you. If you ask for the number it should be just to text them the location address. You really don't need to interview them. They have approached you if they are responding to a casting so it is an honor in the sense that they put their trust in you that you have planned something great.

Good luck

Nov 24 17 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have dogged some real train wrecks by screening with a phone conversation
Buddy of mine did txt-e-mail booking with a model
She was late showing up to studio he rented so he called for 1st time
Turns out model did not speak english
He had be communicating with unknown 3rd Party
Im fine with email of logistics
Time, place, directions etc
But txt is crappy way to communicate
My policy
No call
No shoot

Nov 24 17 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Shades Of Brown

Glenn Dale, Maryland, US

goofus  wrote:
all MM messages and/or email

I do exchange phone numbers after the shoot has been set so that they can txt me that *****their car broke down or grandmother passed away****** hours before the shoot, though

Which ironically happens a lot of MM...

Nov 26 17 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Them giving out their number is not a requirement for me. 

I prefer communicating through MM messaging for the message history.  Of course, I'll pretty much use any method that's convenient for the model, also.

Once the details have been agreed on, I'll put down my number in case they need a quicker way to get a hold of me.  If I have their number, I send out the confirmation there, otherwise, I just message/email them.

Nov 26 17 11:20 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
A lot of people in the world dislike phonecalls to anyone for anything for a number of reasons. I dont even want to get calls from my family or friends. The "chat all day long on the telephone" thing is dying out with newer generations. Text-based communications is where the world is turning, that's not inherently a signal of being scammed or not being serious or whatever. The older generations need to keep up or only shoot models who are as old as they are.

Without knowing 100% who You are dealing with imo, and I'm not alone on this, it would be beneficial to hear a voice.

I've arranged quite a few shoots via text / messenger exclusively to date but only because I knew the Model, I'd scouted them locally.

Nov 26 17 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

Seriously, all the senior citizen photographers need to get over this "phone call" policy if your going to work with this new young generation of models.

Nov 27 17 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Yosh Studio wrote:

Seriously, all the senior citizen photographers need to get over this "phone call" policy if your going to work with this new young generation of models.

Yeah the generation that gets run over by a bus walking into traffic with nose buried in phone
I will pass

Nov 27 17 09:28 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Without knowing 100% who You are dealing with imo, and I'm not alone on this, it would be beneficial to hear a voice.

I've arranged quite a few shoots via text / messenger exclusively to date but only because I knew the Model, I'd scouted them locally.

If someone is really intent on doing you some kind of wrong, they'll just get someone else in on it that can provide whatever voice you expect to be hearing.

I'm of course not saying that people can never and will never get tricked just because its never happened to me, but to date the most creepy/weird/inappropriate/unprofessional/potentially dangerous/etc encounters I've had have been with people who wanted to "build trust" with me or whatever by talking on the phone or doing pre-shoot meet ups. I had to call my phone provider way back when to block the number of the very first person to ever contact me on MM because dude wound up being a child predator, he wanted to call me so that we could "make sure we clicked" before scheduling a shoot.

I'm not shy with my number, once we start talking details and I'm fairly certain the shoot is actually going to happen, and I've made it clear and it appears to be understood that my number is for emergencies, I'll happily give it out without even being asked. When someones first message to me is "I want to shoot with you, call me (xxx) xxx- xxxx" ....no, not happening.

Nov 27 17 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

BDQMedia LLC

Atlanta, Georgia, US

unpetitvoyou wrote:
I am pretty new here and in photography so i am not sure of proper etiquette. I messaged a couple models to shoot and they were willing to ... until i ask for phone number and the convo dies. am i just doing it wrong or dodging a bullet here? to put it in context, i come from ig where the level of flakiness is pretty damn high and to sum it up; most models who exchanged numbers 100% showed up; ok with a certain degree of lateness but those i kept texting with on the platform till the day of shoot did not. What do you think?

Go with your gut! I ask models for a good contact phone number and the best time to contact them. If they don't provide it then I assume that they have decided to pass on my inquiry and I seek another model. A little something that I learned in college "Garbage In Garbage Out"

Nov 28 17 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Randy Dixon

Brownsville, Texas, US

Most of the models I contact only use email for purposes that they can't use text or messaging for, so I use messaging. I only use email to send pics or maybe something lengthy if I need to, and I usually message them saying I am sending them something so they will actually check their email. I give my phone number after we set a time and place for shooting so they can contact me.  I still only get texts. They also tend to answer with very short replies, which can be frustrating when I have asked them something which should require more than a yes  or no answer.

Nov 28 17 09:43 pm Link