Forums > Photography Talk > Who's shooting in Airbnbs? Do you tell the hosts?

Photographer

madheiress

Saxapahaw, North Carolina, US

I have shot about 10x in Airbnbs, at 4 different locations, and had great experiences every time. In all of these instances, I told the hosts ahead of time of my plan to stay there and also do photo shoots - small shoots of just me, the model, and maybe one assistant, and no large studio lights. In 3 of the 4 instances, the hosts were either photographers or models (unbeknownst to me until I made my request), so it worked out great.

I have also been turned down about 10 times when making this request. I've found that it seems specific to location. Washington DC and Durham NC are great, while the NC and SC coast are not.

I did a little research and not surprisingly, a lot of Airbnb hosts aren't into this idea at all. (Here's one such thread: https://airhostsforum.com/t/photo-shoot … rty/1900/3). I guess a shoot qualifies as an "event" which many hosts don't permit.

I'm looking at a few spots in VA and am tempted to not tell the hosts that I am shooting, even though my conscience tells me that I should. I probably will...

Anyway, to get to the point of this thread:

For those of you shooting in Airbnbs, how are you going about it in terms of communication with your host? And in terms of any other aspect of it?

LOL factor: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/une … -1.1723825

Nov 21 17 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

a lot of it is place by place.  I always say I want to shoot and many times I rent nice condos or villas in asia and most times it seems ok.  The budget hotels also seem ok with it.  Since I have shot about 100 plus events and weddings I try to make friends with the venues and try to shoot content for their own marketing as a bonus when they allow my personal shoots.  I've also made friends to a couple of nice homeowners in airbnb and gave them nice pics for allowing my personal photography.  I haven't used airbnb for business shoots other than wedding prenups.  If you make your way to the philippines many condos allow shoots buts I would stay away from Ayala properties and also Shoe Mart properties.

Nov 21 17 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Yes and no. Told two of them and had great responses. One even dropped the $795 daily fee to $200.00 for the shoot.  On the other hand...... told one owner and the $195.00 fee went up to $1500.00 when he heard it was a photo shoot. The last one went from $895 for an overnight stay to $2100 daily rate or $1200 half day rate if shooting.

Some people think once you say photo shoot that you're shooting for Vogue and they want their share of the pie.

P.S.  Goes back the the old adage, "it's better to ask forgiveness then permission".

Nov 21 17 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

madheiress

Yeah, I read a thread about that with Airbnb hosts, and it was sort of as you say. The original poster was talking about how expensive camera gear is, therefore photographers can afford to pay expensive rates, etc.

Nov 21 17 07:52 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Peerspace is often a good alternative because it removes any gray area.
https://www.peerspace.com/

Nov 22 17 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:

thanks for the information,
I hadn't heard of that before

Nov 22 17 10:34 am Link

Photographer

madheiress

Thanks for the peerspace recommendation, though sadly that is only available in 10 cities

Nov 22 17 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

Yeah Arbnb...sometimes I do ask, sometimes I dont.

Nov 22 17 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I guess I didn't explain that the best advantage to asking beforehand about shooting in a hotel or condo is that I like shooting in the common spaces like swimming pools or lobbys.  Most of the independent condos or lower end hotels will allow shooting in the shared/common areas.  In a couple of the big chain condos (Ayala or Shoe Mart) they usually don't allow it. 

Another way to get to shoot is to go to resorts that tend to charge about $4-12 for each person's entrance.  If you aren't shooting wedding gowns most of them allow you to have a photo shoot as long as it doesn't look like a professional production.  Most of the giant malls in the Philippines don't allow photography.  Airbnb usually is a good way to get a location for under $50.

If you let the host know you want to shoot all around the condo or hotel or resort he can tell you what is allowed or not allowed.

Nov 22 17 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

RoyMayh

I have shot about 6 times.
One time the host found out and was unhappy about it and wrote me a negative polite feedback stating I "broke the rules".
I think one more host knew but did not mention anything.
The others hopefully did not know.

I think it is easier to be forgiven then get permission and what we don't know doesn't hurt us.
So I do not tell.

Nov 22 17 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Ethically, I don’t have any issue with describing a non-commercial photo shoot as a personal activity rather than an event.  As such a model is a personal guest and I would not reveal that to a hotel or Airbnb.  I paid for the room and if they have a problem with it I won’t be back.

Nov 23 17 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Shades Of Brown

Glenn Dale, Maryland, US

RoyMayh wrote:
I have shot about 6 times.
One time the host found out and was unhappy about it and wrote me a negative polite feedback stating I "broke the rules".
I think one more host knew but did not mention anything.
The others hopefully did not know.

I think it is easier to be forgiven then get permission and what we don't know doesn't hurt us.
So I do not tell.

How did they find out?

Nov 24 17 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Shades Of Brown wrote:
How did they find out?

I know several AirBnB places that have cameras to prove damages to back charge the renter.  They just don't (or shouldn't) have them in the bedrooms.  That, of course, assumes you don't do it on the dining room table.

Nov 24 17 10:17 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:

Interesting.

Many of the spaces on the home page look like commercial settings.  I looked deeper.  I searched for a location to do a photo shoot in New York.  One of the reasons I don't work with more New York Models is a space issue.  Especially for anything risqué.   The results were varied in size and price.  Some are obviously photography studios.  There was an old dinner for $1000 an hour.  Lots of lofts.  Prices of $55 an hour were common.  I saw a few for $350 an hour.   Those are not prices I can afford to pay on top of high model rates.  This would be a good resource for people who are being paid by someone else.

Nov 24 17 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I always ask prior to booking. If they say yes, (more often times), then  I book. If they say no or jack up the price, then I move on. Sometimes, hosts will "pre-approve" you without responding. I don't book until I get a clear and definite "yes". If I just book on a pre-approval, they might come back later and allege that they didn't know or didn't get the message.

Too many options to not be clear and upfront with your plans. Besides, if you piss off hosts, they can give you a bad rating as a customer. Get enough of those, and that can dissuade hosts from booking you, or worse, get you kicked off the service.

Be upfront, and respect the fact that even though you paid for the space, you are still a GUEST and should act like one.

Nov 24 17 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

madheiress

I took the high road and asked for permission and the host was agreeable to it, since it's not a commercial shoot.

Nov 25 17 06:20 pm Link