Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How do I make money from a legit celebrity nude?

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

How do I make money from a legit celebrity nude?

I have acquired the original b&w negative. The (female) subject is now a movie star. The photo, a nude, was made in 1985 when the woman turned 19. (Well before she became famous). Along with the negative, I also now own the model release and copyright and any other rights.

I would like to make some bucks, but this situation is new to me.

- Limited edition prints?
- Screen image onto T-shirts?
- License image for posters?

I’d appreciate suggestions, and pointers to useful articles and sites.

Note: I do not expect opposition nor cooperation from the celebrity.

Dec 03 17 03:11 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Why would someone turn that over to you and not make money themselves?
Who is the celebrity? Is she a household name?

I’m sure the celeb wouldn’t be pleased. Why would you do this?

Dec 03 17 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
How do I make money from a legit celebrity nude?

So -- the images are over 30 years old.  The celebrity was 19 when the images were made and is now over 50 years old.

I don't know -- sounds exploitative.  That's not something I would do.  Maybe if she was a hateful American Nazi family values racist politician running for office, but otherwise, no, not something I would do.

Dec 03 17 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Find some sucker to sell it to.

Dec 03 17 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Are you sure?  Sometimes someone that age need a bit of a PR kick to keep their career going.  Is she still good looking enough to do more?  That would make a great Playboy feature - old and new.

Dec 03 17 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Offer it to the celeb.

Dec 03 17 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Offer it to the celeb.

It might be taken the wrong way and give the owner a sleazy reputation.

Dec 04 17 07:26 am Link

Photographer

crx studios

Interesting question.

Is it a beautiful image? Personally I would not sell a tacky one unless they were a horrible person.

You can approach the celebrity but you MUST do it through an attorney. There is a very blurry line between blackmail and offering her the first right of refusal.

I would definitely consult an IP lawyer for advice on your legal options. I would also ask them for the name of a highly respected rep to negotiate any sales.

You do not want to find yourself in this position ever:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2005/jul/26/news

Dec 04 17 08:38 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
Find some sucker to sell it to.

I see what you did there.  LOL

Dec 04 17 09:41 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

crx studios wrote:
Interesting question.

Is it a beautiful image? Personally I would not sell a tacky one unless they were a horrible person.

You can approach the celebrity but you MUST do it through an attorney. There is a very blurry line between blackmail and offering her the first right of refusal.

I would definitely consult an IP lawyer for advice on your legal options. I would also ask them for the name of a highly respected rep to negotiate any sales.

His lawyer, Mark Werksman, said the photographer was devastated. "This is about the blackest day in John Rutter's life," said Werksman, who accused Diaz of using her fame and fortune to destroy his client. "This was an epic battle between a rich and famous celebrity and a hardworking photographer... She brought powerful, enormous interests to bear against him."

So a photographer that I never heard of was devastated that he tried to extort Cameron because of her fame... at a cool 3.5 million dollars.

I mean, she must be a horrible, bad person for not coughing up the money for this hard-working photographer.  What a douche.

Dec 04 17 11:48 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Threads like this without images, are of no value...

Show me the SKIN!

wink

Dec 04 17 11:54 am Link

Photographer

noir

Crewe, England, United Kingdom

"Become the change you wish you want to see in the world". - Gandhi

Get that spray and become wink

Dec 04 17 11:56 am Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

PhillipM wrote:
Threads like this without images, are of no value...

Show me the SKIN!

wink

The correct phrase is, "Pics or it didn't happen."

Dec 04 17 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

hbutz New York wrote:

I stand corrected...

Dec 04 17 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

crx studios wrote:
Interesting question.

The Guardian article is slanted, full of misinformation, outright lies about some things, and doesn't even mention the most shocking aspect of the matter.

Dec 04 17 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

noir wrote:
"Become the change you wish you want to see in the world". - Gandhi...

The self-aggrandizing Mahatma Gandhi abused his wife and routinely bedded his pre-adolescent and early-teen groupies, sometimes several at a time. Though a lawyer, he had no moral or legal expertise in marketing of fine art studio nudes. He had no expertise in the law of copyright or right of publicity.

Gandhi was and is reviled by many educated Indians.To the ignorant in other countries, he remains a two-legged 'sacred cow.'

Get a vomit bucket, then Google "gandhi's perversions"

Dec 04 17 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

You might see if the actress herself is interested in them. I'm not saying black mail her but you might get paid just to stay out of her new life. Others will disagree but you truly could be sitting on gold and asked to not spend it. They are YOUR images. you didn't cop this out of a phone. you didn't hide in the bushes or chase cars, these are usable.

She might not mind and have ideas of her own, sometimes this stuff only makes them more famous.

Dec 04 17 01:40 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I don't know -- sounds exploitative.  That's not something I would do.  Maybe if she was a hateful American Nazi family values racist politician running for office, but otherwise, no, not something I would do.

Yeah, I kind of have the same feeling about this.  Sounds like you own the copyright so you are within your right to profit from this person's nude pic, but yeesh...seems like kind of a morally unsavory thing to do.  That's just my feeling around it.

Dec 04 17 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

hbutz New York wrote:

I have images that I will never post in these threads.   smile

Dec 04 17 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I have images that I will never post in these threads.   smile

lol - don't we all?

Dec 04 17 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

The Guardian article is slanted, full of misinformation, outright lies about some things, and doesn't even mention the most shocking aspect of the matter.

My post had nothing to do with the specifics of this particular case, of which I know very little. I simply wanted to emphasize the point that when you are dealing with vintage celebrity nudes, especially ones where you are even contemplating offering them the right of first refusal, you should seriously consider bringing in a professional.

That's my advice. Take it or don’t.

Dec 04 17 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Make some cyanotypes and platinum/palladium prints, Sell them as fine art. Bingo.

Dec 04 17 06:54 pm Link