Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > So what do you think of Bitcoin?

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Beware the Bitcoin Whales...  the 1000 or so people who are estimated to own 40% of all Bitcoin.

“As in any asset class, large individual holders and large institutional holders can and do collude to manipulate price,” Ari Paul, co-founder of BlockTower Capital and a former portfolio manager of the University of Chicago endowment, wrote in an electronic message. “In cryptocurrency, such manipulation is extreme because of the youth of these markets and the speculative nature of the assets.”

Dec 10 17 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I would think the last thing one should want in a currency if volatility.  (Thinking about bitcoin & the Venezuelan bolívar).

Dec 10 17 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

How many here sold their bitcoin stash 5 days ago at 19,000?  It's at around 14,000+ now.

Dec 22 17 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The absolute best video you will ever watch about bitcoin ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-zIbVEjVpQ

Dec 22 17 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

Bloomberg reports that  Goldman  instituting trading desk for Bitcoin ..........   https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/21/goldm … o-trading/   Watch out for  Major US Banks   and Country Central  Banks getting  involved  !!!!!   Short sellers could get wacked  !!!!  Or become real winners !!  Arbitrage may be the way to win.

Dec 22 17 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Dec 22 17 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I've started to acquire some of the alt coins, and will be mining for alt coins sometime next week.

Dec 22 17 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

PhillipM wrote:
I've started to acquire some of the alt coins, and will be mining for alt coins sometime next week.

I'm looking into Quatloos. I hear they are a lot easier to acquire and worth pretty much the same as alt coins or bitcoins.

Dec 23 17 02:13 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

Started buying in 2010, ended buying in 2011. 1.005 bitcoins in total. Cashed out at $12,500 (approx.)/bitcoin

Purchased just to show-off!! Who knew showing-off paid handsomely at times wink

Dec 23 17 04:20 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
I'm looking into Quatloos. I hear they are a lot easier to acquire and worth pretty much the same as alt coins or bitcoins.

I have 3 or 4 that I'll be buying this week when coinbase gets my funding.  Hoping to start mining by this time next week.

VERT
VERG
CARDANO
REDDCOIN

Dec 23 17 06:03 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

What do I think?

Don't call it an investment but speculation.

Don't put in more than you can afford to lose!

Disclaimer: this is not to be construed as investment advice. Consult your financial adviser. Who will likely steer you away from it. Wild west.

Dec 23 17 06:14 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

PhillipM wrote:

I have 3 or 4 that I'll be buying this week when coinbase gets my funding.  Hoping to start mining by this time next week.

VERT
VERG
CARDANO
REDDCOIN

RIPPLE might be the next best thing. ETHEREUM mining is also paying off handsomely

Dec 23 17 06:26 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

rxz wrote:
How many here sold their bitcoin stash 5 days ago at 19,000?  It's at around 14,000+ now.

Today bitcoin is around 7000, down by half after 6 weeks.  What to do, buy or sell short?

Feb 05 18 11:14 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Well, I've been mining only ETH, but I have been adding to my BTC every other -1000 pts... wink

Feb 05 18 11:19 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

rxz wrote:

Today bitcoin is around 7000, down by half after 6 weeks.  What to do, buy or sell short?

The short selling window may have passed.  Bitcoin is probably going to begin a slow decline.  Most of the fantasists who thought Bitcoin would hit $40,000 have sobered up, but enough people still believe in it to stop it from a free fall.  More governments regulating or banning it could change that.

Feb 05 18 11:29 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

MN Photography wrote:

The short selling window may have passed.  Bitcoin is probably going to begin a slow decline.  Most of the fantasists who thought Bitcoin would hit $40,000 have sobered up, but enough people still believe in it to stop it from a free fall.  More governments regulating or banning it could change that.

If you know the history, the current reduction was to be expected.

Feb 05 18 11:48 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

JFWIW  the DOW was down over 1400+ pts today...

Those poor suckers that watch the talking heads everyday and pump the US markets are hosed, and running for the exits.  It's a no buyer market today in the DOW.

I love listening to CNBC for a good laugh.  Especially on days like today.

But I digress.... I have no clue where BTC will be in 5 years, but I'm acquiring.

LOL

Feb 05 18 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

There are people who got into bitcoin way back when for peanuts maybe as a lark or naivety and won big....which lets face it, sums up investing sometimes.  sometimes that silly thing you invest in and forgot about blows up big. whether they are stupid,smart or lucky is beside the point.  on the surface investing in bitcoin might have seemed silly given what it is. but to the people who cashed out large you cant laugh at them. they bought low, and got out high.

I'm sure people laughed at them also way back when for even buying bitcoin at all.

Feb 05 18 02:56 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
There are people who got into bitcoin way back when for peanuts maybe as a lark or naivety and won big....which lets face it, sums up investing sometimes.  sometimes that silly thing you invest in and forgot about blows up big. whether they are stupid,smart or lucky is beside the point.  on the surface investing in bitcoin might have seemed silly given what it is. but to the people who cashed out large you cant laugh at them. they bought low, and got out high.

I'm sure people laughed at them also way back when for even buying bitcoin at all.

50 Cent is a perfect example of that statement.

"In 2014, rapper 50 Cent let people buy his album Animal Ambition using bitcoin." The price back then was $662 and his "earnings are now worth $7 million to $8.5 million." The price was higher at the time of publication but he's still made millions even at current prices.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/24/1693 … humblebrag

Feb 05 18 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
its just that I just see no reason why this particular online currency would be chosen over that online currency and be given governments stamp of approval.

its value comes from not needing a government's stamp of approval? I know I know, too abstract

But lets say you have a government that you disagree with, or a different useful online currency is given a stamp of a approval by a government that you are isolated from or can't agree with.

This is the reality for people in many countries around the world with something as simple as paypal, as well as disenfranchised minorities in countries you never hear about.

This is the first decade in history that there is a universal THING valued around the world at nearly the same price, and can be liquidated in exchange for another thing at nearly the same price.

Gold was a nice contender but its physical nature is not a feature, it is a liability in comparison to an asset that is transportable anywhere, instantly, and is infinitely divisible into any arbitrary denomination and no cost.

Security behind storing bitcoin has some best practices and a learning curve, but they are also free.

It doesn't need to have value to you, for validation. These features themselves have a market value.

Feb 06 18 08:06 am Link