Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Great Shoot or Serious Fail???

Photographer

PR PHOTO

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

I recently shot a new model. He hadn't ever shot with a photographer before and he was a little nervous. He had great stats, former college football player, so i agreed to shoot him. of course the day he showed up I was fighting the flu. I expected nothing from this shoot, but much to my surprise the shoot turned out great! At least I thought it did. Please review the shoot and let me know your opinion.....

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/4 … l#/A464866

His  name is MALYK

Thanks for any input.....

Philip Rugel
PR PHOTO

Dec 05 17 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

PR PHOTO wrote:
Great Shoot or Serious Fail?

Philip if the session's imagery meet or exceeded MALYK's expectations then the you have achieved success...  What others think/feel is virtually irrelevant... This is the brutal reality of working on the commercial side of the equation.

That said, Mayhem is primarily a hobbyist portal... I would instead suggest you study the books of the Men's Development Boards of major agencies in the industry... This is likely a far more valid metric by which you could/should compare your efforts with...

Thoughts on your book?   319 images?  Anything over 30 is consider likely too many... maybe rethink the size of your book, k?

Also without gender neutrality you will unlikely be taken seriously in the industry.... Well over 70% of paid modeling assignments go to females... There are compelling reason for this... Women buy clothes at a rate far greater than men... Men's fashion changes very slowly while women's fashion changes at the very least several times a year... And for prêt-à-porter it changes with every season i.e. four times a year... Thus the demand for female models is considerably higher than male talent...

Hope this helps Philip, or is at least food for thought...
I trust MALYK was pleased with your efforts...
And I wish you well on your journey...

Dec 07 17 06:21 am Link