Forums > Model Colloquy > Being posed like David Bellemere does

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Has anyone watched that show on Stars, "Nude", about creating a calendar as shot by David Bellemere? I find it facinating watching how masters of their crafts (whatever the medium) work and observe their process. The photographs they showed were stunning, by the way.

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice that when he posed the models, he was very, "hands on". He would sometimes just demonstrate or explain to the model what he wanted, but for most part, if he wanted to move an arm, or a leg, or whatever body part, he would just move it to the position himself. Of course in my head, my inner voice was, "He can't do that. He shouldn't do that. That's not right.". But then the models all seemed fine with it and it did save some time by getting the pose exactly the way he wanted it.

Have other models experienced this? What was your initial reaction, and ultimately, did you care as long as the final image was as good as you hoped?

In today's #metoo atmosphere, I take even more pains to make sure that the models don't feel like I am crossing boundaries, regardless of whether the shoot is fully clothed, in lingerie, implied, or fully nude.

Dec 25 17 10:04 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
Has anyone watched that show on Stars, "Nude", about creating a calendar as shot by David Bellemere? I find it facinating watching how masters of their crafts (whatever the medium) work and observe their process. The photographs they showed were stunning, by the way.

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice that when he posed the models, he was very, "hands on". He would sometimes just demonstrate or explain to the model what he wanted, but for most part, if he wanted to move an arm, or a leg, or whatever body part, he would just move it to the position himself. Of course in my head, my inner voice was, "He can't do that. He shouldn't do that. That's not right.". But then the models all seemed fine with it and it did save some time by getting the pose exactly the way he wanted it.

Have other models experienced this? What was your initial reaction, and ultimately, did you care as long as the final image was as good as you hoped?

In today's #metoo atmosphere, I take even more pains to make sure that the models don't feel like I am crossing boundaries, regardless of whether the shoot is fully clothed, in lingerie, implied, or fully nude.

Over the past 30 years of modelling naked for both artists and photographers, I have never had any issue with being touched to assist in getting into the desired pose, or to make minor adjustments to hair or whatever.  I think it's easier for both myself and the photographer or artist I'm working with if they are able to help move me as needed, and typically it's a lot easier than trying to communicate directions verbally. Why shouldn't they be able to do that, if both of us are OK with it?

All I require is that my vulnerability while naked be respected, and that I have given them permission to touch me.  Usually as we start out I make it a point to inform the person that I am OK with them respectfully assisting me if needed, and after that they don't need to announce that they are going to touch me although most do out of courtesy.

I have never had any issues with inappropriate touching.  Often when we are finished, I will hug the photographer or artist while I'm still naked, particularly with people I have worked with on multiple occasions.  I have even had a large group of artists at life drawing sessions lined up for hugs afterwards, and that's not inappropriate either if I'm OK with it. I believe it's a sign that we are all comfortable with what we are doing.

Dec 25 17 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I don't do much modeling and don't specifically recall any photographer touching me for any reason although as an actor I have on a few occasions had a director physically position me for a shot or casually drape an arm across my shoulder for a very quiet and personal piece of direction.  Indeed, a little hug or a peck on the cheek is not an unusual greeting on a film set among actors who have worked together .

I don't normally touch models unless I've asked permission or we have already established the appropriate "touch" levels between us as individuals (it would be ridiculous to ask "May I move your hand?" if your model routinely hugs you upon arrival or at the end of the shoot, for example).  I wonder, though, if we have carried exercising a reasonable restraint to the point where we are creating an unnecessary and performance-impairing fear among newbies by taking the position that any normal, friendly relationship or behavior between models and photographers is intrinsically bad or unprofessional.  There's a difference between social intercourse and sexual intercourse.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Dec 25 17 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I haven't seen the show, but, I suspect he may know the models.  That and the fact it's a show, there's a crew there at all times.  No doubt that may provide a different atmosphere than if it were just the model and photographer that don't know each other.

Also, I was a watching video on CreativeLive with this boudoir photographer.  He states most of his clients are not models so it's just more effective and efficient he moves them than trying to verbally tell (or demonstrate to) them.  Of course, the clients are made aware ahead of time.

Reminds me of a shoot I had a few weeks ago.  I wasn't doing a good job in communicating to the model so I asked if I can move her ankle.  She laughed, "Why are you asking me if you can move my ankle?  Go right ahead."

Dec 25 17 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MatureModelMM wrote:

Over the past 30 years of modelling naked for both artists and photographers, I have never had any issue with being touched to assist in getting into the desired pose, or to make minor adjustments to hair or whatever.  I think it's easier for both myself and the photographer or artist I'm working with if they are able to help move me as needed, and typically it's a lot easier than trying to communicate directions verbally. Why shouldn't they be able to do that, if both of us are OK with it?

All I require is that my vulnerability while naked be respected, and that I have given them permission to touch me.  Usually as we start out I make it a point to inform the person that I am OK with them respectfully assisting me if needed, and after that they don't need to announce that they are going to touch me although most do out of courtesy.

I have never had any issues with inappropriate touching.  Often when we are finished, I will hug the photographer or artist while I'm still naked, particularly with people I have worked with on multiple occasions.  I have even had a large group of artists at life drawing sessions lined up for hugs afterwards, and that's not inappropriate either if I'm OK with it. I believe it's a sign that we are all comfortable with what we are doing.

I have been hugged by a nude model myself.   smile

Dec 25 17 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Being hugged by a nude model is different as the contact was initiated by the person in the more vulnerable position.

But the take away I am getting is that in professional situations, practicality can override normal boundaries, as long as there is consent from the beginning. Physically moving a model's arm or leg is vastly different than adjusting her boob or making contact anywhere near the genitals.

Am I close?

Dec 25 17 04:38 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
Being hugged by a nude model is different as the contact was initiated by the person in the more vulnerable position.

But the take away I am getting is that in professional situations, practicality can override normal boundaries, as long as there is consent from the beginning. Physically moving a model's arm or leg is vastly different than adjusting her boob or making contact anywhere near the genitals.

Am I close?

Professional attitude and conduct is everything here.  If everyone behaves in a professional manner then there are no issues, and you are 100% correct about doing what is practical in any given situation even if it requires permission to disregard the normal boundaries. 

While I can think of no valid reason that a photographer or artist would need to adjust  my breasts because they are quite small and unlikely to even be able to be adjusted, maybe there is a good reason that may come up in the future and if presented with that necessity I would certainly be open to discussion and likely to grant permission if I couldn't get things positioned the way they were needed on my own. But that would not be my first choice as I would prefer not to be touched there unless it was absolutely necessary. I can see where a person with larger breasts could reasonably need some advice or suggestions involving positioning them in some poses but would expect the model to be able to achieve that herself upon good directions as to exactly what was needed.

I do know that some photographers or artists who want a model's nipples to appear firmer and fuller have used ice cubes applied to them with her permission to achieve that look in their work. I'm sure the models have given consent to that being done and while I'm not a fan of having ice cubes applied to my nipples, if that's the required look and the easiest way to get there I would probably allow it.

There have been a number of instances where someone has adjusted my pose at the waist by gently but firmly placing hands on my waist and hips and twisting or moving me into the position they felt was best for their work. No problems there as it's quite different from grabbing my bottom, but I wouldn't consider that area to be off limits anyway. No doubt that some other models would have a different opinion about that.

Direct contact with my genital area is unlikely to ever be necessary, but as a natural model with abundant pubic hair I have had several cases where a brush or comb was used with my permission to fluff or make it appear fuller after I was in position for a pose.  That would not require direct contact by someone's hands and is not something that I could easily see or accomplish myself while remaining in the desired pose.  Obviously that would be better handled by an MUA but not all photographers use them and artists almost never do.  At the very minimum if I were asked to do that myself I would need to be provided with a mirror and would likely need to get out of the pose to accomplish it.  Therefore since it's a reasonable request, why should it be a problem if both people involved are OK with it?  That's probably the most extreme example that I have personally experienced and given permission for.

Dec 25 17 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

For what its worth, I know model who shoot with Bellemere twice for the Nu Muses project (she's posted in my MM pics).  She made a comment about him being very hands on with posing.

Dec 26 17 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

stevefischer_photo

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Making an adjustment to a model is a much different type of situation when you are talking about a test type shoot and a commissioned editorial like David Bellemere would be shooting. Keep in mind, those type of shoots it's not just a model and photographer. There are tons of people on set and you're there to get the shot the way the art director wants it. I shoot for playboy and other magazines that have nudity and when you are dealing with very experienced agency models, art directors, creative directors etc. who are all on set it's not uncommon to make an adjustment to a model at all. An internet model that is charging a photographer to shoot nudes could be a different situation but a magazine editorial shoot is a professional environment with lots of people on set. If you don't have the trust of a model to make an adjustment to her then it's going to be a shitty outcome anyway because the model isn't comfortable with your ability. Just been my experience and i've shot  for playboy and bra campaigns for victoria secret.

Dec 26 17 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Yosh Studio wrote:
For what its worth, I know model who shoot with Bellemere twice for the Nu Muses project (she's posted in my MM pics).  She made a comment about him being very hands on with posing.

If that's the case... in this day and age... it won't be long before he's up on charges... wink

Dec 27 17 01:46 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've worked with people who were too shy to even tell me that a pose I was doing looking shitty, to people who demonstrate the exact pose they want on themselves each and every time, to people who verbally direct, to people who ask if they can make adjustments, to people who just start grabbing at me with no warning.

I almost backhanded the last guy who put his hands on me without asking (he came up behind me and yanked my ass up into the air) There are a very select few people who I have worked with so many damn times and I know and trust well enough that when I see them coming at me to make some kind of adjustment to a pose I know they're not getting handsy with me, but even still, for the most part those people at least try to get me to make the adjustment myself first and I have to just REALLY not be understanding what they're asking for or I have to be completely unable to fix the issue myself (like moving my hair when I'm doing a bondage shoot) that they need to be the ones to do it, and they say "I need to fix this" or ask so at least I know what's happening before theyre touching me.

I am completely not okay with total strangers just assuming they can manhandle me like a rag doll without a word about it. Even if theres nothing sexual about it, it feels fucking terrible to have someone just yanking and pulling and pushing your body around like you're not a human being. I've got ears and eyes that work fine, communicate what it is that you want. It gets even worse when they try to put you in positions your body physically cannot do (a lot of photographers seem to somehow not understand which directions joints bend in? Or that your bones can't just rearrange themselves? Probably because they've never tried to demonstrate the pose so they've never tried moving their own body that way)  I get that its "the norm" in a lot of parts of the industry, but the fact that it happens and some people deal with it so they don't get fired off a job for being too demanding doesnt make it right or okay that its happening in the first place. We have a severe luxury in freelance that we can check references beforehand to find out if that's someones MO and I can walk off any job if the photographer tells me they can't be bothered to direct and feel some sort of requirement to put their hands on me instead.

Dec 27 17 03:05 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

In my almost ten years of working as an artists model, I never had this problem.  If people wanted something adjusted, they would always ask me first if it was okay for them to even approach me, let alone touch me.  The schools had strict policies about what behavior was either appropriate or inappropriate regarding the models.  There was one place with a sign up in the room that began with "DO NOT TOUCH THE MODELS", for example.  They would always tell me in front of everyone when they were going to tape around my body to mark the pose, and would do so in front of everyone.  People would ask if they could arrange my hair a certain way, etc...

All of the photographers I worked with on MM were very respectful and never told me they needed to adjust something or touch me for whatever reason.  It was a total non-issue.

I did a shoot years ago, before I joined MM, and the guy hit on me the entire afternoon.  It was even more egregious than it normally would have been since he knew that I was married at the time, and not only that -- he himself had just been married for only four months.  Complete jackass...

Dec 27 17 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I work with experienced models and never needed to work with them "hands on".

Dec 27 17 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

In the 40 or so years I've been shooting models, both nude and clothed, I have observed that models in general, and female models in particular KNOW when they are being groped. Out of respect, I've always avoided touching to the extent feasible, and when it seemed expedient to touch, I ask first, and pay very close attention to insuring the model's comfort with the process. I have also observed that if you do it right, it offends no one. If you do it wrong, it offends everyone.

To those who think they can get away with groping and fondling, you are only fooling yourself.

Dec 28 17 10:13 am Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

I haven't seen the show you're referring to, but personally I would not be happy to be the model in that situation.  Whether or not the touch is "appropriate" or designed to "correct" my pose, I simply do not like being touched, other than perhaps a hug at the door.  I know some photographers find it easier to give physical rather than verbal corrections, but I definitely want to be asked so I can explain my boundaries, not just have someone go in to try to move me.  At that point, I've already been touched when I didn't want to be, and I am in the uncomfortable position of having to assert my boundaries which have already been violated.  In the situation of being a model on a photoshoot which is being filmed by a presumably pretty big video crew, possibly with several stylists or assistants present, I am going to be really uncomfortable telling the photographer I don't want to be touched when he's already just gone for it, with a ton of other people in the room, and I feel pressure to do well not just for the photos but also the videos.  Those models might have looked comfortable, but there's no real way of knowing how they were feeling.

Some people in this thread have suggested that it's ok for a photographer to touch a model when they are established professionals, because it's clear that they are not trying to just grope them.  For me, it really doesn't matter if they have no intention to try to touch my body inappropriately, it's just about respecting my body and not making assumptions about when it's ok to lay hands on me.  Just because I'm being paid doesn't mean I am waiving my right to feel comfortable and safe at a shoot.

Dec 30 17 12:42 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

I am absolutely NOT okay with it. Quite frankly, it's generally unnecessary as long as the model knows how to do their job. You might need to move a stray hair or a very slight adjustment which you can ask to do first and then do.
Also, it's best to ask each time you want to touch a person. Just because they stated it was fine to move a hair here or there once, does not mean you should manhandle them throughout the rest of the shoot. Minor adjustments after asking are perfectly okay though.

If they way he posed models on his shoot became the norm, I'd switch careers, flat out. I am not okay with anyone outside of an intimate relationship touching me repeatedly in any way. I'd model at art schools and focus on self portraiture if that was the way most photographers acted on a shoot - thankfully, most are very mindful of these things in my experience.

It's unnecessary. And the final image has nothing to do with it for me. There are plenty of beautiful photographs done by photographers who don't put their hands all over the models during the shoot.

Dec 31 17 06:04 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
In the 40 or so years I've been shooting models, both nude and clothed, I have observed that models in general, and female models in particular KNOW when they are being groped. Out of respect, I've always avoided touching to the extent feasible, and when it seemed expedient to touch, I ask first, and pay very close attention to insuring the model's comfort with the process. I have also observed that if you do it right, it offends no one. If you do it wrong, it offends everyone.

To those who think they can get away with groping and fondling, you are only fooling yourself.

Exactly my thoughts about why the photographer or artist needs to be respectful, and cautious.  It's totally possible to make adjustments without being offensive or doing any inappropriate touching provided that both people agree on it.

We definitely know when we are being groped or fondled, and I have never experienced that during the process of being assisted with posing by a photographer or artist.

What's most important is that models who are uncomfortable with being touched and don't wish to be touched make that very clear to the people they work with, and that photographers and artists always communicate with a model before just reaching out and making an adjustment to be 100% certain she is OK with that.

Jan 04 18 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Bruce

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

Almost everyone model I work with looks at me and goes "JUST PUT ME WHERE YOU WANT ME!" when I try to describe certain posing. ha.

Jan 04 18 11:07 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Andrew Bruce wrote:
Almost everyone model I work with looks at me and goes "JUST PUT ME WHERE YOU WANT ME!" when I try to describe certain posing. ha.

Thank you.  That's how I would reply, since it's totally a non-issue for me and I actually prefer that level of interaction since it assures both of us that the desired pose has been achieved, something that may be much more difficult to accomplish by explaining it in words or even by the photographer trying to show what the pose looks like by demonstrating it.

But it is very obvious there are some models with strong opinions to the contrary, which need to be respected and accommodated. We all have our own personal values, and our thinking about what is appropriate touching and exactly where the line is crossed may be quite different for each of us.

Jan 04 18 07:56 pm Link

Model

Josslyn keow

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Adjusting a position is of course acceptable
The key point is more the way photographers do it.
My experience is american photog are usually less "touchy" than their european counterparts.
Probably because of law enforcement.
Just inform the model and limit yourself to non sexual parts and you'll get her/his trust

Jan 04 18 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

DCI Photo

Corona, California, US

stevefischer_photo wrote:
If you don't have the trust of a model to make an adjustment to her then it's going to be a shitty outcome anyway because the model isn't comfortable with your ability. Just been my experience and i've shot  for playboy and bra campaigns for victoria secret.

I think the key is here.  If you don't have the trust of the model, any "hands on adjustment" is just going to piss the model off and certainly effect the rest of the shoot and quite possibly beyond.  So as much as sometimes it would "save me time" I just bite my lip, give verbal suggestions and even ultimately give up on a particular pose if the model honestly doesn't seem to get it.  We live in a time when making photos is essentially free from a "film perspective."  So one can take essentially an unlimited number of shots until the pose and shot are exactly right. 

Honestly a happy model produces a much better shoot than an unhappy one.

Nov 02 18 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

There is ‘touching’, and there are ‘touches’.

Nov 02 18 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I saw the shown most cases he had just met them. he is French, it was in Europe and maybe they have a different attitude or maybe he just ws dealing with ones that didn't mind or put up with it because of his reputation.

Some won't mind, some will but who can afford to find out in todays climate?

Nov 03 18 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I prefer not to touch the model (Not because of the wave of fear that has recently unfurled; I believe that a certain distance increases the comfort level). My verbal direction has always been enough.

If I need to make a styling adjustment, I always explain what the problem is, and then ask: "May I?".

Nov 03 18 05:52 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

As a painter... I have had hundreds of people pose for me... I never assume that it is okay to touch and frankly prefer not to in any way.

With that said... maybe every other person who's posed tells me just move me how you want me... I still don't...

I have worked in other artists studios where they are perfectly fine with it... I am not.

As I am writing this... I guess it is more about my comfort level than theirs... if they are okay with it... I am not. weird? anyway...

I remember my teacher touching the model's arm, hair and breast to get it to lay a particular way... I nearly fainted! ha ha! He was 89 at the time and the model did not say a thing. It was in my studio and I had hired her... after the paintings were done a week later... she told me that she would come back any time... so I guess she was okay with it.

To each their own I guess?

Nov 03 18 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

In my experience, different models have different comfort levels.  I’ve known fully clothed models who don’t want anything adjusted, even if they can’t do it, and I’ve known nude models who are fine with hands on direction.  Simply asking typically makes it fairly clear where a model’s boundaries are.   Typically, I don’t touch a model at all during a shoot, but sometimes it’s just much easier for me to make a quick adjustment than spend minutes trying to talk a model through getting it right.

Nov 10 18 10:06 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

To me it's all about the maturity of the relationship between the photographer and the model.

However, for me I am usually quite good about communicating what I want either verbally or by example. To me no pose is THAT COMPLICATED that you can't verbally communicate to the model.

If I see a hair running wild most times I tell the Model, or my MUA is all over it before I see it. Rarely have I ever had to make that adjustment myself and if I did I always ask the model before I even take a step toward them.

Someone said about a older photographer moving a Model's hair so it laid across her breasts a certain way. That is quite possible, if the trust and relationship is their between the Model and Photographer. He most likely worked with that Model in the past or knew her very well to do that. I know of a few models I have worked with that they would let me set a scene any way I want as we have a long term relationship of trust. However, 95% of the time I usually have the MUA or Stylist do this work.

In the end, it's about respect and professionalism. When in doubt, ask and accept whatever response you get.

Peace.

M

Nov 15 18 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I tell them once, I show them what I mean, I tell them again and if they don't get it I grab the part and move it to where I need it.  Sometimes it just too frustrating having them do it wrong time after time, just easier to do it for them. Not one of them has argued with me, at least not to my face.

Nov 15 18 03:33 pm Link