Forums > Model Colloquy > Question regarding bikinis

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

I wound up w/ a box of ~40 pre-owned bikinis from a church rummage sale. Incl. some 'designer' names. They were all laundered which I did again.

QUESTION:  For studio shoots would you as a model be okay w/ wearing pre-owned bikinis?  Or not? Should I keep them around...or just toss them?

Dec 29 17 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

get box of panty liners for used bikinis, and even then some models my have an issue.

Dec 29 17 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Not a one size fits all question
Some will recoil in horror at the sight of them
Some wont give a damn

Dec 29 17 04:21 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

If I did bikini shoots, I'd personally be fine with it if they were laundered and there was a pantyliner. I have a lot of pubic hair though, and I always feel like it's my protective barrier hahaha. I regularly buy vintage lingerie and things from the 1800s though, so those are actually pretty new for me.

I do know girls who aren't okay with it though. I'd ask each model individually when setting up a shoot, and if they say no just ask them to bring their own if they have one.

Dec 29 17 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

liners should suffice and depending on the cut the Model could always wear a g-string underneath.

Dec 29 17 09:52 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It depends. The MM market (when it was actually active) saw tons and tons of used swimwear and lingerie. I think people are generally more okay with used stuff when they KNOW it's been properly laundered because theyre the one doing it, wearing someone else's swimwear and lingerie comes down to trusting whether or not they actually washed it all appropriately.

There's extremely few things that could actually survive a proper wash and dry cycle so there's very minimal actual "risk" in used clothing... its just some sort of made up "ick factor" thats going to vary from person to person. If swimwear is a must, ask them to also supply their own if they are unwilling to wear what you have to supply.

Dec 31 17 11:17 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Not a one size fits all question
Some will recoil in horror at the sight of them
Some wont give a damn

This.

Be sure to ask when setting up the shoot, not after the model gets there.  As someone else mentioned, some swimwear and lingerie will allow the model to wear her own thong under it.

Jan 03 18 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Liv Sage wrote:
If I did bikini shoots, I'd personally be fine with it if they were laundered and there was a pantyliner.

A pantyliner for bikini photographs?

Weird as shooting lingerie with the sewed in washing instructions visible...

Jan 03 18 03:25 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

TomFRohwer wrote:
A pantyliner for bikini photographs?

Weird as shooting lingerie with the sewed in washing instructions visible...

Until you're wearing used clothing when you don't know where it's been before and it's right against your genitalia, your opinion isn't relevant. And even if you were doing that, good for you, others have different feelings about what gets to be placed next to their genitals.

A pantyliner is a small barrier between fabric and a woman's genitals. It is not visible if the underwear or bikini are on her body. Some of us can get utis or yeast infections from a variety of things including fabric softeners and detergents depending on the type. So, yeah, I suggested a pantyliner inside the underwear. I know, it's a ludicrous suggestion /s

Jan 03 18 08:00 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

If you try on a new unlaundered suit bareback in the store you can catch some nasty stuff.
Why would anyone do that? Germs love warm, moist places. Hello herpes!

Ugh.

Laundered anything done properly is usually fine but I wouldn’t trust it.

Jan 04 18 03:16 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Liv Sage wrote:

Until you're wearing used clothing when you don't know where it's been before and it's right against your genitalia, your opinion isn't relevant. And even if you were doing that, good for you, others have different feelings about what gets to be placed next to their genitals.

Maybe you should try to learn to understand texts instead of being just rude and aggressive...

I said that pantyliners are weird for bikini photographs. (Because they can spoil the image. Because you often can see them. Especially when the bikini gets wet - what, by the way, is what bikinis are intented to get.)

Nowhere I said that I expect anybody to wear used undergarment or clothes with a unclear history.
You do not want to wear used bikinis? Fine. Don't do it.
You have no problems to wear used bikinis if they had been laundered? Fine. Do it.
You have no problems to wear used bikinis even if they don't had been laundered? Then I kindly would suggest you think a moment about crab louses and their colleagues. No, you can't transfer gonorrhea via undergarment but you can transfer crab louses. Chances may be small but that's not the point.

But all this does not changes not a bit that pantyliners are weird for bikini photographs.

A pantyliner is a small barrier between fabric and a woman's genitals. It is not visible if the underwear or bikini are on her body. Some of us can get utis or yeast infections from a variety of things including fabric softeners and detergents depending on the type. So, yeah, I suggested a pantyliner inside the underwear. I know, it's a ludicrous suggestion /s

I know what a pantyliner is and I know that a lot more things can be visible on photographs that many people may imagine. And I have seen whole productions going straight into the trash can because somebody overlooked a silly small detail while shooting photographs.

So the better choice are either un-used bikinis (choice Nº1) or models who accept laundered used bikinis (choice Nº2).

Jan 04 18 04:53 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

TomFRohwer wrote:
Maybe you should try to learn to understand texts instead of being just rude and aggressive...

I said that pantyliners are weird for bikini photographs. (Because they can spoil the image. Because you often can see them. Especially when the bikini gets wet - what, by the way, is what bikinis are intented to get.)

Nowhere I said that I expect anybody to wear used undergarment or clothes with a unclear history.
You do not want to wear used bikinis? Fine. Don't do it.
You have no problems to wear used bikinis if they had been laundered? Fine. Do it.
You have no problems to wear used bikinis even if they don't had been laundered? Then I kindly would suggest you think a moment about crab louses and their colleagues. No, you can't transfer gonorrhea via undergarment but you can transfer crab louses. Chances may be small but that's not the point.

But all this does not changes not a bit that pantyliners are weird for bikini photographs.

I know what a pantyliner is and I know that a lot more things can be visible on photographs that many people may imagine. And I have seen whole productions going straight into the trash can because somebody overlooked a silly small detail while shooting photographs.

So the better choice are either un-used bikinis (choice Nº1) or models who accept laundered used bikinis (choice Nº2).

One) The photographer asking this question was asking about bikinis for studio shoots. Yes, I suppose they could still get wet. But it seems rather unlikely.

Two) All of the things you're saying here could have just been said on their own as your own response originally. Instead, you chose to respond to my comment in a dismissive way.
You're right that a pantyliner likely wouldn't be good for a bikini shoot where the bikini became wet.

You should have just commented that. Or nicely stated it in your original comment rather than a blustery dismissal. Added to that, there are many comments in this thread suggesting liners. So it's not as if it was some far out suggestion anyway.

Jan 04 18 07:00 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Lots of great answers, and discussion.

Every model will have her own thoughts and this is definitely a case where personal preferences have to be respected. 

Many times I have done photo sessions where a photographer or artist has specifically dressed me in clean, previously owned lingerie and underwear, and a few times in bathing suits both one and two piece.  Personally I have no issues with that at all as long as I know and trust the person providing those items.  I have probably worn at least a couple hundred such items.

I see no need to wear anything underneath the items if they are clean, which to me means freshly laundered.  But I understand that others may not feel the same way, and if they wish to decline to wear any used items that is their right to do so, or if wearing a panty liner or a pair of underpants which are small enough and of a color not to show through the item she is featuring, it's perfectly OK to choose to do that.

The important thing is that the model and the people she's working with are all on the same page, which I think would always require some discussion at the time a photo session is being planned.  I would not want to arrive at a studio and then be told I was expected to wear used lingerie, underwear, or bathing suits, but if we had discussed that in advance it's a different story. 

I have never been presented with any used garment that I would have declined to wear, everything was always laundered and usually the person kept them stored in plastic bags.  Some of the photographers and artists I have worked with over the years specifically look for unique or vintage items at estate sales, thrift stores and so on for the very reason of having them available for models to wear. 

In fact, I probably purchase 95% of my own everyday clothing from thrift stores and estate sales and have done so for most of my adult life.

Jan 04 18 07:46 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
I wound up w/ a box of ~40 pre-owned bikinis from a church rummage sale. Incl. some 'designer' names. They were all laundered which I did again.

QUESTION:  For studio shoots would you as a model be okay w/ wearing pre-owned bikinis?  Or not? Should I keep them around...or just toss them?

I did a shoot where I was asked to wear a pre-owned and freshly laundered matching bra and pantie.  I wore it, and he still has the shot up in his portfolio.  It's not optimal, but it's not the end of the world either, as long as they are washed in hot water/hot drying cycle. 

I really think this is a very subjective sort of thing -- kind of like whether someone is willing to shoot nudes or not, or whether they prefer to have pubic hair or not, or whether they would ever get a tattoo or not, etc. 

As an artists model, I know of (and witnessed) other artists models undress/dress in front of the whole class.  I never felt comfortable with that, and would change in the bathroom.  I'm sure some of them thought my preference was as strange as I thought their preference was.  People are such a complicated lot, alas...

Jan 05 18 01:26 pm Link